Jul 2013
Only character I liked was Gandalf.
May 27, 2014 11:24 AM

Sep 2012
Soren333 said:
May 27, 2014 11:50 AM

May 2014
I adored the books when I was younger. I still enjoy them, but not quite as much. I like the movies too - they were entertaining, and I liked the cast.

Soren333 said:

best comment or best comment
May 27, 2014 1:11 PM
Nobody

Jul 2013
Only the movies where Dudley wasn't in it saying, "36? but last year last year I had 37!"
May 29, 2014 12:47 AM

Nov 2012
Loved Harry Potter when I was a kid. Still enjoy it somewhat even today, but my taste in fiction has changed so much that I can't say I love it any more. Though when we really get down to it, they most definitely are overrated. There's just nothing special about them apart from being solid, entertaining teenage/young adult fiction.
May 29, 2014 5:46 PM

Jul 2013
Not really, I read them as a kid and really liked them. The hype over the movies is unnecessary though

But when schools have their own quidditch team, it's going a little too far
My family is a treasure, you need a map and shovel to find them.
May 29, 2014 5:48 PM

Apr 2014
not really, people enjoy the movies/books for their own reasons

i personally dont find them interesting, just my taste.
May 29, 2014 8:17 PM
Dec 2013
DolanDuk said:
JetNZ said:
It has Emma Watson

Mhmmmm.

Back when she was naturally pretty.
May 30, 2014 4:46 PM

Nov 2012
Maybe? It was/is really popular, but less so now that we aren't waiting for a book or film to come out every year. There is still a lot of HP merchandise though, and there's Pottermore. People still discuss it fairly regularly and I'm pretty sure that there's a HP society at my uni. But I don't know. I think it was one of the best stories in its genre at the time, plus there's quite a bit of escapism involved. Magic and heroism is pretty cool.

Valaskjalf said:
I started losing interest when they stopped showing us what they do in school (the most fun part about this series)

I feel like we could've learnt more about actual magic too. Plus I'm not sure why Hermione stopped using the time turner after Third Year.

I don't know if it's overrated really. I personally think it's justifiable, but maybe I just like it too much, haha. I still rewatch and reread them fairly regularly.
May 30, 2014 4:53 PM

Apr 2014
When I come across questions such as these I simply ask myself if it would've been successful in any era and my answer is a definite no. Therefor I believe Harry Potter is overrated. It isn't bad, just mediocre. This is just my sole opinion though.

Jun 25, 2014 12:30 PM

Mar 2014
If you think Harry Potter is overrated, then what about Twilight?
Jun 25, 2014 12:53 PM

Dec 2008
The films definitely were, no doubt about that. The books are fun to read but I'm not sure I'd call them ground-breaking. Perhaps they are overrated.
Jun 25, 2014 1:04 PM

Jul 2013
SOME books and SOME movies were actually good.
Jun 25, 2014 3:07 PM

May 2013
I've been on the studio tour in Leavesden in the UK where they filmed the whole series.

It was seriously awesome, especially the gigantic model of Hogwarts they build by hand that takes up almost the entirety of an old plane hanger.

Individually the films and books are relatively weak on their own. I'm not a fan of Rowling's style of writing but I read all the books and saw all the films... You can't deny the phenomenal cultural impact that series has made.

I think the saying is 'the whole is greater than the sum of it's parts' and I think, in this case, it's appropriate
Jun 25, 2014 3:39 PM

Jan 2014
The books, no. I've read most of the books and they're spectacular. The movies, yes, to an extent. I think the first four were pretty good, after that though they kind of started sucking up until the very end.
Jun 25, 2014 5:43 PM

Jan 2014
Were the books entertaining? Yes. Were they clearly written at children's book level, with world building that made the Song of Ice and Fire books look like Westeros encyclopedias, and nonexistent character development? YES

Why is the wizard community so incompetent and divided they can't band together against less than 100 terrorists, several of whom are very public (ie Lucius Malfoy)? Why would Hogwarts knowing keep a House that specializes in refining bullies and racists (Slytherin)? Why make four houses when two of them (Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw) have almost no influence on the story whatsoever? Why is it that getting a goal in Quidditch equals 10 points, but the Seeker catching the Snitch is worth 150 and ends the game? All a team needs to do is have everybody on the team play defense and scout a great Seeker. If Voldemort was such a big threat for so long, why didn't the wizards get off their high horse (after 10 years of no success!) and ask the Muggles for help, you know, the guys with bombs and fighter planes?!

All these discrepancies are nothing compared to the bad characters. Harry, foremost among them. No personality, lazy one scene, earnest student the next, almost no wants or desires of his own, pays no attention to any girls except Cho Chang and Ginny when she's older, (like a teenager only ever looks at two girls). He never does anything wrong, and if he gets in trouble it's negated by Dumbledore playing favorites. He doesn't practice his magic, and slacks off constantly, to the point that his only perfectly mastered spell is a low level disarmament spell, yet he is "the savior of humanity". He's only good because of his parents, he's treated like a God at Hogwarts for doing nothing (that classic British love of monarchy and hereditary aristocracy coming out) and the explanation for his abilities is the vague "because your parents loved him". So none of Voldemort's hundreds of other victims loved each other, or sacrificed themselves for comrades? Did George get special "Anti-Voldemort" powers because Fred loved him?

Speaking of Voldemort is one of the worst villains I've ever seen. They spend so much of the 5th book giving his origin story, presumably to help explain why he is who he is, but nope by the end he's just super evil guy who is evil just because.

I could go on and on. The list is practically endless. Is it entertaining and creative, there's no denying that, but it's not high quality enough for anyone besides children to waste their time on.

Edit: Whoops, almost forgot, the movies. I actually really liked them, they were well cast and well directed. They had the same problems as the books, but if the engine's broke, getting new tires won't fix that. The sixth movie, especially, I found to be fantastic, and a bold new direction for the franchise, so I was disappointed that Book 7 Parts 1 & 2 went back to being like the 4th and 5th movies, largely grimdark with little humor in the mix.
EastNJun 25, 2014 5:49 PM
Jun 25, 2014 6:38 PM

Jul 2013
Fucking Gandalf, only made one joke in that entire franchise.
Jun 25, 2014 6:40 PM

Jun 2014
It failed my expectations Hermione x Dobby didnt happen
Jun 25, 2014 6:42 PM

Jul 2013
D4nnySwag said:
It failed my expectations Hermione x Dobby didnt happen

you're fucking everywhere
Jul 7, 2014 3:31 PM

Jan 2014
Havent read all the books, so movies only:
By order:
1. Too kiddy
2. Good
3. Great
4. Epic
5. Meh
6. Epix
7. Decent
8. Shit
Epilogue: cringe-worthy.
It was a fun childhood ride. Do not regret. But storywise it's not much.
Hunger Games is a better story relating to teens imo.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 7, 2014 5:22 PM

Jun 2014
I was a fan when I was younger and even now I don't particularly think the book series is overrated. The world J.K. Rowling has created is spectacular and although her writing isn't omgwow she doesn't underestimate her readers. It just shows what immense creativity and good planning can produce.

I'm not really fond of the books or films any more though because I guess tastes change.
Jul 7, 2014 6:10 PM

Jan 2013
I started reading the books and got part way through the fifth when I started to get bored and think that every book had pretty much the same beginning, middle and end.
The films are entertaining and I can see why people like them, I mean, being a wizard would be awesome. The main thing that put me off was the choice of actors. Daniel Radcliffe in my opinion is a pretty wooden actor and for that reason I found it hard to root for his character sometimes. Even in other productions I've seen him in he's been very wooden. Also, Emma Watson's acting (especially in the first few films) was pretty bad and her character was just generally annoying.
Even if it's a bit cheesy I think it lives up to its hype, the level of creativity and imagination make up for other things imo.
Jul 7, 2014 6:13 PM

Dec 2013
Compared to my favorites, everything is mediocre
FragOutFire said:

Why am I a Berserk fan? All I ever experience is pain.

We are in the eclipse and Miura has sacrificed us
Jul 7, 2014 9:15 PM

Jul 2012
Not as much as it was when it first came out, I remember libraries having events for it where people dressed up and stuff for the 2nd or 3rd movie.
Jul 7, 2014 9:58 PM

Jul 2013
Never watched or saw it
Pikachu wants some
Jul 8, 2014 5:00 AM
Jul 2014
no i don't think so
Jul 8, 2014 7:29 AM

Dec 2013
A little bit overrated but still amazing.
Immahnoob said:
They say Jesus walked on water.
People are made out of 79% water.
I can walk on people.
So I am 79% Jesus.
Sourire said:
I once fucked an apple pie.
Jul 8, 2014 8:01 AM

Jan 2014
I don't think so. The story was unique and never though of before. I enjoyed reading and watching it. It is rated just as it deserves to be rated.
Jul 10, 2014 10:25 AM

Aug 2010
Nah, Harry Potter is really good, and one of the few book/film series that consistently gets better and better with each installment.
Bum Bum Dum Dum

Jul 11, 2014 7:34 AM

Oct 2012
At the time they came out they were over hyped but i watched them a few months ago and after the first 2 - which are really kids movies, they start to pick up bit by bit.
Jul 11, 2014 7:35 AM

Mar 2014
Harry Potter is adequate for the most part, and the third book/movie was actually pretty good. The movies are also always great for a spectacle.

You know what is overrated? Divergent.
Jul 11, 2014 7:36 AM

Jan 2013
Harry Potter is generic shounen trash.
Jul 24, 2014 11:42 PM

Nov 2011
nope it's not. it is treated just the way it deserves to be. twilight was overrated
[center]
Jul 28, 2014 9:48 AM

Sep 2013
It's the only profitable british film franchise there is so it's hyped to death to try and drum up profit.
Jan 4, 2015 1:10 AM

Oct 2013
Even the author admitted she messed up by not putting Harry Potter and Hermoine together. At first she said ron would have been left out put then quickly changed opinion. But that's shippers business so I won't even get into that.

Half blood prince and Deadly Hollows are the worst in the series. This stuff should have ended at Order of Phoenix because thats when I last stopped reading, and boy that was a snooze book for me back in 3rd grade.

I will be honest I would have rather read a crap book like the hunger games. Atleast that book is short.
Jan 4, 2015 1:56 AM

Dec 2009
NarTaco said:
I'm a big Harry Potter fan myself but I think it's a bit overrated. It took me a while to realize this.

It also took me a while to realise that it's overrated, I used to be a huge fan but not so much anymore. I think it's more the continuation of it that really makes me feel that way with Pottermore constantly releasing new content (not that I keep up with it). I would have been much happier if things had been kept as they were and just ended.

MiniSiets said:
I think Harry Potter is a good series of movies and books overall, but not as good as the fandom makes it out to be I suppose. It's overrated, but not nearly as undeservedly overrated as some other works. It at least lives up to some of its hype, so I'm not really bothered by people taking a liking to it.

I agree with this. As someone who used defend and highly praise the series I know that the fandom definitely made it out to be better than it was, I don't think it was worth quite that much devotion.
Jan 4, 2015 5:19 PM

Dec 2012
You can't deny that Harry Potter made a huge cultural impact and is going to be remembered for a long time. It's very impressive that Rowling managed to write a seven-book series and keep things interesting. It's even more impressive that they didn't totally screw up the movies.

But at the end of the day it's really just a good story, nothing more, nothing less. There's no deep meaning behind it. Sure, you could say that Rowling touches on some social issues, but if you're trying to read between the lines you're going to find nothing.
Jan 4, 2015 6:13 PM

Mar 2012
Solloski said:
I don't think so. The story was unique and never though of before. I enjoyed reading and watching it. It is rated just as it deserves to be rated.

Unique...

Prophecy boy, inherently evil black villain, full of British stereotypes... wut.

The magic world was pretty, but Deathly Hallows ruined that with pew-pew crap.
End Zionazism
Jan 4, 2015 10:26 PM

Dec 2007
I thought so before reading the books, which was silly of me, I know.. They're very well-written, and I thoroughly enjoyed my time with them.

The movies are decent adaptations of varying quality, middling (the first) to great (PoA).
Jan 4, 2015 10:47 PM

Aug 2013
I really like the Harry Potter books and they're probably some of the best young-adult fiction series that I've read. The films are alright, but the books are way better. Are they overrated? Nah. I think JK Rowling writes good fantasy and deserves the success her stories have had.
MoogJan 4, 2015 10:50 PM
Jan 4, 2015 10:49 PM

Jul 2011
I haven't seen any other fantasy movie series better than HP or LOTR so no
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Post songs that you are addicted to right now ( 1 2 )

tsukareru - Apr 26

69 by Zamus_Edits »»
8 minutes ago

» Currently listening to ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsukareru - Mar 29, 2021

7762 by enigmasauce »»
9 hours ago

» What was the last song you listened to? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Death - Oct 1, 2020

3490 by SilentAssassin88 »»
Yesterday, 7:13 PM

» Some choice words about Yutaka Yamada (and hunting for recommendations)

NCR522 - Yesterday

0 by NCR522 »»
Yesterday, 8:03 AM

» What are your favorite ZARD songs?

GinIonSui - May 18

5 by GinIonSui »»
Yesterday, 5:15 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.