Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Nov 11, 2021 9:59 PM

Feb 2021
I want to start this franchise and I was wondering if this is the place to start. Let me know! (Also if you have a watch order leave it below please)
Nov 11, 2021 10:36 PM
Aug 2021
Yes this is the first Gundam Series.
Nov 12, 2021 12:11 AM

Mar 2020
I've only just really got started myself, all I know is that the original story starts with with the Orginal Gundam/ movie trilogy, then Zeta Gundam (not the movies as they change the ending from what I've heard), Gundam ZZ and ends at Chars Counterattack. After that I'm pretty sure you can watch in any order(with the obvious exception of sequels after the originals as they're all AU or canon spin offs)
EpiccgaymerNov 12, 2021 12:23 AM

Nov 12, 2021 1:21 AM
Jan 2021
Yea this is the starting point on Gundam and it still holds in terms of the narrative. After that you can watch Zeta Gundam then Gundam ZZ and to finish the story off you can watch the movie Char’s Counterattack. After that you can watch any Gundam you want, however I would recommend the OVA War in the Pocket.
Nov 12, 2021 4:12 AM
Mar 2021
Yes, this is the first Universal Century show (the main storyline by Yoshiyuki Tomino), which consists of:

Mobile Suit Gundam (1979) - set in 0079 U.C.
08th MS Team (1996) - Excellent self contained spin-off set during the above
War in the Pocket (1989) - Set either during MSG or shortly afterward (0080 U.C.)
Stardust Memory (1991) - spin-off set in 0083 U.C., giving some background information on...
Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam (1985) - set in 0087 U.C.
Mobile Suit Double Zeta Gundam (1986) - considered the black sheep of the UC Universe, set in 0087 U.C. as well
Char's Counterattack (1988) - Movie ending the main series.

Then there's movies and series set in the Universal Century continuity following Char's Counterattack:

Unicorn (2012)
Narrative (2018) - sequel to Unicorn
Hathaway's Flash (2021) - Sequel to CCA based on a Tomino light novel from 1989
F91 (1991) - Cut down from a 50 episode series to a movie, so it's rushed. It also has a Manga sequel "Crossbone Gundam"
Victory Gundam (1993) - set either before or after F91. It's known for its dark tone, set by Tomino having a low point in mental health.

There's also Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin, which provides background to one of the most important characters of the UC, but I don't think is Canon?

As for Alternate universe series:

Mobile Suit Gundam Wing (1995) - The first one available in the west. A friend of mine says it's overrated.

After War X Gundam (1996) - It's sometimes counted as a what if? UC show

Turn A Gundam (1999) - Tomino overcame his mental health issues and created a beautiful Miyazakiesque series, while still retaining the characteristics of Gundam. It has an amazing soundtrack and I haven't gotten hooked on a story this fast in a long time.

Mobile Suit Gundam SEED (2002) - As I understand it, it's a remake of the original 1979 Gundam. Imo, the artstyle is pretty ugly.

Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny (2004) - Apparently it doubles down on everything SEED did badly, and the result is not pretty.

Mobile Suit 00 Gundam (2007) - It seems to be generally well liked.

Iron Blood Orphans (2015) - Tbh, I don't know much about this one.
Nov 12, 2021 9:21 AM
Jun 2021
I started with the standalone series but this one is a good starting point too if you wanna get into the main timeline story right away. Still recommend stand alone series if you wanna get your feet wet with the series then you can go watch this one.
Nov 12, 2021 9:25 AM

Oct 2017
If you are getting into the UC Gundam era yeah this the best place. If you are looking to get into Gundam in general you might want to pick up an AU title like After War, 00 or Iron Blood Orphans. Not as big as of commitment and you can get an idea for the franchise. They are standalone titles in a separate universe.

The films are there too if you want to get through 0079 bur honestly I still like the original more than Zeta and much more than ZZ. Can be kinda episodic but it does build to a great end.

This was the watch order I followed

The Origin (prequel nice to watch after 0079 since you see all the characters from that series)

War in the Pocket (it takes place during the one year War when 0079 is ongoing best UC Gundam title I have seen)

MS Team (it takes place during the one year War when 0079 is ongoing)

Thunderbolt (it takes place during the one year War when 0079 is ongoing best UC Gundam title I have seen not completed yet)

0083 Stardust Memory

Zeta

ZZ

Char's Counterattack

Gundam Unicorn

Hathaway's Flash (only the first film is out)

F91 (haven't seen yet)

Victory (haven't seen yet)
Nov 13, 2021 5:59 AM
Jan 2012
I am a very avid Gundam fan and IMO start with this or the Manga version of Gundam:The Origin because the manga version of “the Origin” covers all of the original Gundam and has the backstory of Char in it so it’s like watching Mobile Suit Gundam and The Origin at the same time. Alternatively you can just watch this and the Origin in anime form, it’s up to you.

Then go Zeta, ZZ Gundam, Chars Counter Attack, Unicorn, and then Hathaway. Those are the ones that are the most important to UC, because the most important events in this timeline revolve around Char/Amuro’s conflict.

There are other UC ones like War In The Pocket, The 08th MS Team, Victory Gundam, Gundam F91, Narrative Gundam, and Stardust Memory that add a little extra to the timeline but not enough to be imperative to the timeline. However some of those like War in the Pocket and the 8th MS Team are very good and I would highly recommend them

**There is one non-cannon series called Gundam Thunderbolt that is set during the end of the first Gundam series that is pretty cool too.

As for the non-UC stuff you can just watch them however you please, but be warned that these series vary massively in quality. Turn A, 00 Gundam, and Iron Blooded Orphans are probably the best ones from those series

As for anything manga related, just make sure it’s by Tomino. Anything without him is normally very bland, but there are a few exceptions. I just use Tomino as my guide through all of the spin-offs

And there you go. That is my take on everything
Nov 13, 2021 6:04 AM

Feb 2021
Yes this is where u should start.There is also a recap movie compilation of this series.
I haven't watched it but I had made some study on the watching order.
Dec 12, 2021 12:28 PM

Dec 2021
I'm currently watching the UC timeline series too, the order i'm following is:
Mobile Suit Gundam -> War in the pocket -> 08th MS team -> Zeta Gundam (i'm here) -> 0083: Stardust Memory (while it's a prequel of Zeta it was produced way afterwards and i've heard there's a lot of foreshadowing and similar that are more appreciable having seen Zeta first, i can assure you the series it's still pretty understandable) -> ZZ Gundam -> Gundam: Origin manga and/or anime movies -> CCA movie -> Unicorn and Narrative -> Hataway's movies -> F91 Gundam -> Gundam: Crossbone manga -> Victory Gundam -> Regonquista in G -> Turn a Gundam (the last two are not UC timeline but for my understanding they are considered the ending of each timeline)

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Arcanus - Apr 30, 2009

55 by Tivrusky444 »»
May 18, 12:36 AM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Arcanus - Apr 30, 2009

60 by Tivrusky444 »»
May 18, 12:28 AM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Episode 43 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Beatnik - May 27, 2008

119 by gannoncannon55 »»
May 16, 8:47 PM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Episode 42 Discussion

Pheefa - Jul 25, 2010

43 by gannoncannon55 »»
May 16, 8:24 PM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Arcanus - Jul 4, 2009

56 by CartoonVelocirap »»
May 16, 7:48 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.