Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

Best DVD quality for Kare Kano?!! (Some releases look better than others apparently...?)

New
Apr 13, 2019 7:45 AM
Feb 2018
So I was on Sakugabooru one day, checking out some awesome scenes from Patlabor, when I decided to look at some great cuts from one of my favorite romance anime, Kare Kano.

This had only been a theory at first, but after looking at various videos on YouTube, pics from the web, and finally on Sakugabooru, I noticed that the video sharpness varied from source to source.

Now let me tell ya, Kare Kano has never looked great to me on DVD. The colors can be dark and lacking in vividness, and the framerate was screwed up during the Telecine transfer process. These things I'm willing to overlook, but one thing I can't stand is ARTIFICIAL SHARPENING! (AS).

To give you some context, the AS I've seen in Kare Kano makes the dark edge/outlines have a "ringing" effect. A ringing artifact is when the outline has a "double-line" effect in which there seems to be a light halo right against all the dark lines. Its NOT pretty.

This has lead me to theorize that the earlier releases of Kare Kano were of the original transfers, while the later releases (like the 2009 Rightsuff/Nozomi one) were of an edited transfer that had AS added to it! (Perhaps to make it look better...?)

My theory is that this is the same edited AS transfer that was used for the Japanese Blu-ray release.

I don't know whether this is true or if people just AS'ed the footage when they ripped the DVDs, so I need help from you guys to set the record straight!

Are there multiple versions of Kare Kano with AS absent/present? Is there a difference between the earlier and later DVDs? Is there a difference between the Japanese and US DVDs? If so, please enlighten me, as I actually want to BUY the DVDs that look the best!

Here is the version without AS (and seem to not be able to see dot-crawl either...):

https://sakugabooru.com/data/0586eb7079f52af0e01146c69e6435ed.mp4

And here is a clip with AS and noticeable dot crawl... (GASP) could there be a connection...?

https://sakugabooru.com/data/639fa984eee41e952b3486c88dac766f.mp4

Thank you so much guys for clearing this up, as it is high time to for me to properly watch this show again!
LoganJonesApr 13, 2019 6:30 PM
Apr 17, 2019 3:55 AM
Feb 2018
I've figured it out, now. The Japanese DVDs were what I was seeing, more specifically, it was of footage restored by Judgement's 10bit HD upscale of the R2 DVDs. (Whoever he is, he did a REALLY good job. I recommend looking into them.)

Nozomi really screwed up the video quality of the Kare Kano DVDs back in the day. My hope is that, when it gets released on Blu-ray over in the states, it will be a substantially better-looking presentation than what we got in the states.
Apr 1, 1:40 AM

Jun 2017
I don't really understand most of what you said, so I'm totally sidetracking your original topic here, but it's always fascinating to me to run into these handful of shows that -- for reasons only god knows -- never got a public BD release. And for a show that had a lot of good in it, too. what a shame.. who knows though maybe give it another 10 years

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kare Kano Episode 3 Discussion

philautia_ - Jun 19, 2009

38 by Aizzu »»
Apr 3, 12:13 PM

Poll: » Kare Kano Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Bloodshot-Shanks - Oct 21, 2008

69 by Aizzu »»
Apr 3, 11:18 AM

» Kare Kano

Lilly1x - Feb 8, 2009

2 by mokkocchi »»
Apr 2, 9:41 AM

» Does anyone else agree that this anime deserves a remake the most?

KaiserVonGogureo - Sep 23, 2022

11 by Hashiriya_weeb87 »»
Jan 25, 7:20 AM

Poll: » Kare Kano Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 )

DonKangolJones - Sep 5, 2009

52 by Hashiriya_weeb87 »»
Jan 19, 10:11 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.