Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Sep 19, 2016 12:50 PM

Mar 2016
I'm planning on watching UC gundam, But first

1)Chronological or Release order
2) I've been using this guide, is there any series I can skip/are any recaps/remakes?

Guide: http://imgur.com/L8NkDFf

Sep 19, 2016 1:04 PM

Feb 2010
Well, the core of UC is basically just

MSG
Zeta
ZZ
Char's Counterattack
Unicorn

and that's what I'd start with.

Everything else is more or less a sidestory or spinoff or the 'far future' which might as well be AU in some regards since it has none of the same characters etc... Most are either irrelevant to the main story, or filling up gaps in retrospect. Whether you want to watch them or not is up to you. Personally War in the Pocket, Thunderbolt and 8th MS Team are some of my favorite entries of the franchise so I'd recommend them to anyone, even non-Gundam fans since they can work as standalone stories. IGLOO was pretty good too, but for example Stardust Memories doesn't have a good reputation aside from the visuals so I have skipped it for now. And Reconguista is just a clusterfuck and didn't have anything to do with the original UC timeline as mentioned above. I do not recommend until you absolutely have to watch anything remotely related to UC.

I don't really know the manga series so I can't comment on them but they mostly sound like bonus material once you're already familiar with the main story. Personally I went with chronological release order for the main entries and watched the OVAs and side stories whenever I felt like it.

Not sure about Origins but I hear it's not entirely a prequel but also reimagines some parts of the first Gundam series? I wouldn't start with it in any case, I'd just watch the series from MSG to Unicorn first (as listed above) and then watch or read whatever else you're interested in. None of the others are essential. Some people even say ZZ isn't essential tho I kinda disagree.
I probably regret this post by now.
Sep 19, 2016 1:23 PM

Apr 2016
the main series of UC is MSG, Zeta, ZZ, and Char's counter attack. Some people will tell you to skip ZZ because it's awful, but really it's only flaw is being way to wacky in comparison to what came before it. Still though, after Zeta it's your own judgement call as to whether you just wanna wiki ZZ. everything else is pretty much spin off stories, some only tangentially related to the main series line, but all of them are pretty great in their own right, some even surpassing the main series' in their own ways. Char's Deleted Affair and The Origin are only necessary if you really like the character of Char; which I do, so I saw check them out as well.

As for watch order, release order is generally the best choice in any situation.

edit: Yeah I was kinda not thinking about Unicorn, but if I'm honest it does kinda feel more like an after story than an actual continuation of the main saga of UC. i.e. Star Wars Episode 7 in relation to the original trilogy. Still, it's good, and definitely worth watching.
Mecha_TrashSep 19, 2016 2:21 PM
"Liking little sisters is a fantasy of guys who don't have any."
-Araragi Koyomi

"Kirino is TRASH"
-Anonymous
Sep 19, 2016 1:48 PM

Feb 2010
K0b0ld said:
the main series of UC is MSG, Zeta, ZZ, and Char's counter attack. Some people will tell you to skip ZZ because it's awful, but really it's only flaw is being way to wacky in comparison to what came before it. Still though, after Zeta it's your own judgement call as to whether you just wanna wiki ZZ. everything else is pretty much spin off stories, some only tangentially related to the main series line, but all of them are pretty great in their own right, some even surpassing the main series' in their own ways. Char's Deleted Affair and The Origin are only necessary if you really like the character of Char; which I do, so I saw check them out as well.

As for watch order, release order is generally the best choice in any situation.

How is Unicorn not part of the UC main story? Or did you just forget to include it?
Sep 19, 2016 1:52 PM

Jan 2016
General question about Gundam but what is the best way to watch the series?

Is release order better because I am kinda leaning towards release order.

Sep 19, 2016 1:55 PM

Feb 2010
Ratchetdude231 said:
General question about Gundam but what is the best way to watch the series?

Is release order better because I am kinda leaning towards release order.

As we said above, twice, release order for the main series is definitely the recommended way. It doesn't really matter for the spinoffs and side stories tho, most of them can be watched on their own.
Sep 20, 2016 1:50 PM

Dec 2015
@RottedRabitt, this guide is pretty good. It contains a single error and misses an entry:
- Gundam 0083, an OAV series done to "link" the first Gundam to its sequel Zeta by showing a thin part of Zeta geopolitical situation's causes and foreshadowing a few elements developed in Zeta. @Ratchetdude231 you might want to watch it inbetween.
- Reconguista in G is set 500 years after Turn A in the U.C. universe (Turn A itself set 500 years after Victory Gundam, but existing aas a shared future for several other alternate universes). Those two series are so far away in the chronology that the early UC is like prehistory/forgotten legends for them

Good dive in what seems to be a good fictional world history (for what I watched until now)

Note: there is also some official canadian live action movie set theoretically placed in U.C.223.

Pullman said:
It doesn't really matter for the spinoffs and side stories tho, most of them can be watched on their own.

It is always nice to know the context of the story you follow. Notably by the One Year War spin-offs. I would even add that they might be easier to enjoy when you watch them not long after Gundam rather than once you've completed the first cycle.

Pullman said:

How is Unicorn not part of the UC main story? Or did you just forget to include it?

Maybe because Char's counterattack is the finale of the main story while Unicorn is simply a very late epilogue.
Rei_IIISep 20, 2016 2:01 PM
Aug 22, 2017 9:40 AM
The Madaora

Aug 2016
So, I'm not sure if this is the best page to ask this on, however, I require the assistance of someone who actually has a clue or two about Gundam, please. To date, I've only watched (as far as my memory serves me) MSG IBO, both seasons during their original broadcast. I've now taken an interest in the series and want to watch it all but have decided to start with UC as it would probably be both more convenient and easy plus make more sense in the long run. I scowered the internet only to find a few things: 1) Watch MSG The Origin after all other UC series, 2) Watch MSG The Origin before 0079 and all other UC series.
I'm slightly confused because some people are saying it is before the events of 0079 and others tell me it's during those events, I've also heard it's about the past while others told me it's a retelling. Dated or not, doesn't matter to me since I'm going to watch it all at some point, the same can also be said about any skippable content or whatever have you. And so, I'd like to know whether I should start with this before 0079 or if I should watch 0079 then this or save it until after all of UC. I'm probably going to watch the 3 original movies immediately after 0079, as well. Any advice so I can start this trek? I know there is a link to a guide above but I'm a little confused about it. Thanks in advance and sorry if this is the wrong topic for the aforementioned.
Aug 24, 2017 1:25 PM

Dec 2015
@Twileska The OAVs called The Origin are in fact animating a portion of a MANGA. The manga was an enhanced retelling of the original series/movies compilation (events reordered, geography refined, added past, change in weapons development fictional history, etc). It used most of the ameliorations chosen for the movies cut and was even refining the storyline even more.
The manga had also a big portion (volumes 4 to 7 I think) who were totally invented based on some very limited background infos of the original. It was a large flashback. This is what you get in the OAVs: the flashback part of the manga retelling. No need to tell you that:
- it offers little to people who aren't already familiar with the characters whose past we are shown,
- since the retelling modified several things, you have to forgive the fact the OAVs have various incoherent informations with the original TV/movie anime (dates, ages, chronology, weapon/robots etc).

If I were you, I would watch 0079 first. Then extend the experience with those Origin OAVs. If you want to emulate the manga's order, watch the OAVs after the second movie/+-15eps (it's approximate) but before the last movie (+-20-25th eps).
The movie compilations by the way (Gundam I II and III) lack transitions between events or scenes but remove all the "ennemy of the week" fluff that the creator had to add to the TV show to try raising the audience. It also smoothes the introduction of an important concept (who comes suddenly in the last episodes of the TV show) by presenting it a lot earlier. And .
The manga The Origin is like I said before the best version of course: everything is better handled (from the Earth travel who makes more sense to all the other details) and the artwork of course never loses in quality. I would dare say that the weakest part of it is actually the (still good) flashback made of oh so many "novelistic coincidences".

After 0079/The Origin, you are free to explore the side-stories (0080 is great and short) of 0079 or go immediately into Zeta (free broadcast currently on gundamInfo's YouTube channel). Etc etc.

Little advice: watch Turn A preferably after the whole rest of UC.

@megaload No direct connection apart from the queen and her chancellor citing "the universal century that came before" the regression.
About the respective positions of Turn A and Reco, I know the inversion makes more sense that what Tomino's reported intervention says in some ways. XD While the Turn→Reco order seems to make more sense in some other ways (+ the whole historical archives have been freed at the end of Turn A).
Rei_IIISep 8, 2017 8:51 AM
Aug 26, 2017 7:09 AM
The Madaora

Aug 2016
Thanks, I appreciate it!
Sep 8, 2017 12:30 AM
Jul 2011
@Rei366
Reconguista in G is set 500 years after Turn A in the U.C. universe (Turn A itself set 500 years after Victory Gundam, but existing aas a shared future for several other alternate universes). Those two series are so far away in the chronology that the early UC is like prehistory/forgotten legends for them

Even so officially there is no direct connection between Universal Century and Correct Century (Turn A Gundam) but in Regild Century (Reconguista in G) people have knowledge about Universal Century and statues of Gundam, Zaku ect.
Many mobile suits in Reconguista have designs similar to those in Gundam Victory (the last UC title).
This is like the Correct Century didn't happened at all.
So theoretically Turn A Gundam is part of this world but it doesn't make sense also I didn't liked and drop it after 5 episodes.;)))
The canadian TV movie G-Saviour doesn't make sense too.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Arcanus - Apr 30, 2009

55 by Tivrusky444 »»
May 18, 12:36 AM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Arcanus - Apr 30, 2009

60 by Tivrusky444 »»
May 18, 12:28 AM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Episode 43 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Beatnik - May 27, 2008

119 by gannoncannon55 »»
May 16, 8:47 PM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Episode 42 Discussion

Pheefa - Jul 25, 2010

43 by gannoncannon55 »»
May 16, 8:24 PM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Arcanus - Jul 4, 2009

56 by CartoonVelocirap »»
May 16, 7:48 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.