Edit Anime Information

The Animatrix

English: The Animatrix
Synonyms: Beyond, Detective Story, Matriculated, Program, The Second Renaissance, Final Flight of the Osiris, World Record, Kid's Story
Japanese: アニマトリックス

Type: OVA
Aired: Jun 3, 2003
Producers: None found, add some
Licensors: Warner Bros.
Studios: Madhouse, Studio 4°C
Source: Other
Genres: Action, Drama, Sci-Fi
Duration: 10 min. per ep.
Rating: R - 17+ (violence & profanity)

creant
Jan 6, 2015
All the chapters add additional info about the Matrix, the internal behavior and the war on the real world.

I think that "Final Flight of the Osiris" follows the story told in the movies and gets all your attention.

"The Second Renaissance Part I" and "Part II" are very informative :)
Ian_K
Mar 29, 2010
Anthologies of animated shorts based on Western properties have become something a big deal. In the past two years we've seen both Batman and Halo get this treatment, as well as the videogame Dante's Inferno. However, the Animatrix is still the gold standard of such works, even going so far as to outshine some of its source material.

The secret for the Animatrix's success is the talent that was poured into it. Some of the creative minds that worked on it include Mahiro Maeda (Gankutsuou), Yoshiaki Kawajiri (Ninja Scroll), and Shinichirō Watanabe (Cowboy Bebop), in addition to some up-and-coming talents as well.

While the read more
FallenAngelEyes
Mar 9, 2008
This review is for Beyond.

From a Matrix fan's point of view, I feel it's one of the weaker pieces of the collection. It wouldn't be able to really stand well on its own because there's not enough substance. However, in tandem with the rest of the shorts, I think it gives an interesting view into how the Matrix affects "normal" people's lives. It displays the extent of the Agents' and Machines' control over even the most seemingly innocuous areas of the system.

The art and animation were done quite well by Koji Morimoto, who did the art direction for Akira. The characters were a bit read more
ratchet573
May 22, 2015
I’m not a big fan of The Matrix trilogy, one of the more mainstream science fiction spectacles of the past twenty years. When I was a kid, I loved it. It was my first R-rated movie, it was dark and edgy like any kid is bound to like, and it had neat martial arts action. But as I grew older I finally watched the second and third films and began to hate the series. Anymore, probably thirteen or so years after watching The Matrix for the first time, I think it’s overrated and I can’t see the appeal. It hasn’t aged well and that, on read more
Derenor
May 20, 2016
The Animatrix consists of 9 completely different shorts so it's hard to review in one go but let's try.
I can only say that I really wished that the original sequels to the first matrix movie were a bit more like these shorts. They are much closer to what I loved about the first movie than the sequels.
To everyone new to the matrix I always use to say: "Don't watch Reloaded and Revolutions. They are bullcrap. Watch the first movie and animatrix and be done with it."
Before taking a short look at each episode I just want to say that this collection is a must read more
angelsreview
Apr 19, 2014
It’s rather hard to talk about a show like this because it’s mostly like a range of different episodes. They may all contain the Matrix like style but there really isn’t much that connects them. From the story to the animation, each part is different and told in its own way. The movie gets more and more confusing as the stories keep going, making it hard to get what is going on. There isn’t an indication of if you are inside the Matrix or outside it. All I could understand was how pretty the animations were at points and how ‘crappy’ they were in others. read more
DeletedUser2
Feb 17, 2013
The episodes of this series are completely irrelevant. They add nothing to the Matrix franchise and have no relation between them. The name "Matrix" was used to sell this thing that looks like filler or a very disappointing spin-off. I lost time of my life watching it.