Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Oct 28, 2008 11:32 AM

Sep 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
The episode was....weird. Lain need to have common sense to not walk toward the guy pointing the gun at her.
The story is moving a little forward but there is too much not explained yet.
Jun 7, 2009 11:59 AM

Jun 2009
Whereas ep.1 was *really* weird (and I didn't dislike it, mind you), I found ep.2's approach much better to get someone into the series. It's not so... weird. Really like this second and I'm expecting good things from SEL.

I'll definetly have to rewatch ep.1 after completing the series.
Oct 25, 2009 4:22 AM

Jun 2009
Dec 19, 2009 12:08 AM

Sep 2009
Altho I'm enjoying all this strangeness, I rly hated Lain in that moment where Alice was pulling her shouting Lain! Lain! and she was just frozen staring blankly ahead. I hate when that happens. Makes me wanna just reach into the screen and slap the shit out of the person.
Dec 27, 2009 3:24 PM

Aug 2008
The times I said "WTF" have gone down a bit, but strangely enough, I can't stop watching..
Apr 4, 2010 4:20 PM

Mar 2010
So far this series has been really bizarre. I'm not sure I'm looking forward to the rest of these episodes.

May 9, 2010 3:05 PM

Apr 2010
This anime sure is weird as expected from what i tried to investigate about the plot in this anime. Lain seems like a lost child and someone dead wrotes to her. Well in this second episode not that much, but still it kept my curiosity alive. Lain's mother sure does seem to be a pretty cold person from what these first episodes have shown. And why the hell did that guy took that drug, i mean he totally lost it after taking it...
May 12, 2010 5:59 PM
Mar 2009
erm... yeaaahh... i just kinda voted 4/5 because I WANT to like it >.<

should i continue watching this? :o
Jul 24, 2010 8:13 AM

Feb 2009
Wow.... when I watch this itt's like I am in a different world... this really knows how to pull the bizarred and the creepiness, this is really something that was ahead of it's time for a TV anime series.
Aug 3, 2010 4:00 AM

Sep 2009
Arekusu said:
Whereas ep.1 was *really* weird (and I didn't dislike it, mind you), I found ep.2's approach much better to get someone into the series. It's not so... weird. Really like this second and I'm expecting good things from SEL.

I fully agree :)
Oct 11, 2010 9:06 PM

Oct 2008
That was quite bold of Lain to walk up like that.
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Mar 25, 2011 10:40 PM

Apr 2010
I can't stop watching this. I don't understand much yet, but it's strangely interesting.

If you don't remember something, it never happened. If you aren't remembered, you never existed. <3
Apr 24, 2011 7:10 AM
Jan 2010
Tyestor said:
This series is fucking retarded.

You're the one who's retarded if you can't understand a simple anime like this.
Jul 17, 2011 5:00 PM

Aug 2008
Aw, she looked so adorable in that bear outfit! And I really liked this episode, it's strange though and left me fuddled a bit, but I sorta like this weirdness. It's a good change from other crap I've seen.
Aug 30, 2011 10:30 AM
Aug 2010
The only thing I'm a little confused about is the guy staring at her from behind the poll.
Sep 7, 2011 4:13 PM

Dec 2010
Something's wrong with Lain and I'm not sure that's good but whatsoever. This episode didn't lead us nowhere but well, I guess there are enough episodes left to see something happening.
Nov 27, 2011 9:37 PM
Jul 2018
No clue what's going on. She runs from a neckbeard, gets harassed by ghosts, and somehow makes a guy kill himself. Hmm. Uh, I do know I like the shots of power lines all over the place.
Dec 11, 2011 4:30 PM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
Salmissra said:
Altho I'm enjoying all this strangeness, I rly hated Lain in that moment where Alice was pulling her shouting Lain! Lain! and she was just frozen staring blankly ahead. I hate when that happens. Makes me wanna just reach into the screen and slap the shit out of the person.

(shrug) regardless of what is actually going on with her in terms of the anime, outwardly she shows considerable signs of psychosis. Knowing nothing about the story other than what I've seen of the anime through episode 2, I'd say she definitely was not 'frozen' (as with fear). Instead she was fixated on the scene in front of her, which probably wasn't like what other people were seeing. In particular, the gun either didn't register with her, or she considered it irrelevant compared to what other things she was focusing on.

As for the guy that shot himself, he was already on the edge. Either accidentally or on purpose, she "confirmed" the one thing he feared most, and it was just enough to push him over.

(my opinion only, of course. Your mileage may vary)
Jan 18, 2012 7:45 PM

Mar 2011
I'm trying to figure out why she wears a bear suit.
May 22, 2012 2:07 AM

Jan 2012
Wow, this was strange. What the hell happened? O_O Confusing episode.

Oct 13, 2012 4:37 PM

May 2012
Wow, I think I'm going to really like this series. That atmosphere! Lain is very interesting as she says almost nothing and is a bit autistic. Also when she talked to this guy with a gun, it didn't sound very much like her, did it? I'm not quite sure. Anyway -great episode
Nov 1, 2012 9:38 AM

Oct 2012
I really enjoyed this episode, I liked the introduction of the Accelera 'drug'. The crazy gunman added a twist. I like Lain as a character: her wearing the bear pajamas, collecting teddybears, and cute hats exemplifies her innocence to me. She definitely has some mental problems going on...
This episode, IMO, was much more accessible than the first...I hope people give it a few episodes to get going before ditching it.
Nov 10, 2012 1:37 PM

Jan 2012
I also agree that something is wrong with Lain. The way she just stares at things is definitely not normal.

The confrontation with the gunman was really weird for her as well. Her voice was really strong when she spoke to him about how everyone is connected. Can't wait to see what becomes of her next episode.
Dec 8, 2012 10:54 AM

May 2012
So much mystery, really much questions left unanswered, really weird and awesome together, that ending made it even weirder I love it :D
Dec 17, 2012 5:33 AM
Jul 2012
Seems that Lain has a second personality which would explain why her friends saw her in that club earlier and why she didn't answer the question what was she doing last night. So far seems good.
Jan 4, 2013 2:59 PM

Nov 2012
Left me with a lot of questions I hope I'll get a few answers next episode.
Though I believe I'm already sucked into this series
The music great too.
Feb 4, 2013 1:20 AM

Sep 2011
"No matter where you go, everyone's connected." True story.

TowardsTheStars said:
I'm trying to figure out why she wears a bear suit.

Because its bad fucking ass.
Feb 12, 2013 12:26 AM

Jan 2013
Lain is strangely attractive
Mar 3, 2013 1:41 PM

Aug 2012
Uh
Mar 31, 2013 7:39 PM

Jul 2011
Arekusu said:

Yeah I agree. Iwatched the first episode, although I didn't dislike it enough to drop it, it did seem weird, but I held on to it, now 9 months later that i continued on to the 2nd episode it seems much better and much more interesting.
May 9, 2013 12:35 AM

Aug 2007
There's something going on that isn't being said between the gunman and Lain... At least, that's what I'm thinking.
I have a feeling there is some strange mind game going on the watcher can't hear or read that may have pushed the gunman over the edge. Instead of her "frozen in fear" there is some type of psychosis or psychic ability that Lain has that isn't explained yet.

May 31, 2013 7:45 AM
Mar 2013
This is... erm strange?
I'm liking it though, very different and getting used to the art style.

This has kind of messed my brain a bit.
May 31, 2013 4:34 PM

Jan 2013
Who was that Lain look-a-like who bitched out the gunman the night before he went whacko? Was it actually Lain? Cyber-Lain? And why was the gunman so deathly afraid of Lain?

This is definitely gonna be a series where you will need to watch it twice to get a full understanding of things
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 7, 2013 3:43 AM

Apr 2013
AtomBlast said:
Seems that Lain has a second personality which would explain why her friends saw her in that club earlier and why she didn't answer the question what was she doing last night. So far seems good.

This might be the case.

Even though things are becoming more weird I can't stop watching this series.
Jun 22, 2013 6:40 AM

Mar 2013
Wow.

I have a bad feeling about that new NAVI thing.
Jun 26, 2013 9:44 AM

Feb 2013
O_O

Dafuq just happened?

Also, why is the shooter scared of Lain?
Maybe Lain has a second personality in the Wired or something.....

"And if, there were so many people in the world, there had to be someone living an interesting life that wasn't ordinary. I was sure of it. Why wasn't that person me?"
- The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part V
[/center]
Jun 29, 2013 10:34 AM

May 2011
We got more plot this time around. Not as strange as the last episode, but just as much creepy, if not even more. I really like it... there’s definitely something really messed up about the Wired. What is it, anyway? Just means of communication or an alternative reality of sorts (Matrix)? Whatever it is, it’s scary--and the suicide girl from before probably still ’lives’ there.

Huh, I like this more than I thought I would!
Aug 9, 2013 2:07 PM

Jan 2012
Really am thinking why there'd be two Lains? The other lain looked a bit older too? Maybe it was just me, but 'tis interesting nonetheless. The whole gun scene was a bit weird; Lain seemed out of character, like a 'robot' tbh.

xxshiawase said:
Wow.

I have a bad feeling about that new NAVI thing.

Anything new in an anime isn't good news >.<
Aug 26, 2013 5:12 AM
Lilium Gardener

Jul 2011
Confusing and strange for sure. This series isn't what I expected. Don't really know what to make of it yet.
Sep 2, 2013 9:56 AM

Jan 2013
So after 2 episodes, things are still mysterious. The first episode's latter half was strange. I felt it was trying to be "deep" by the ridiculously slow talking and pace otherwise. This one was better. They're driving home the everyone is connected theme by the power lines/computers/cell phones. I'm sure they will explain why Lain stands there to approach the gunman but right now there is nothing that the audience knows about Lain to justify what she did.
-Nothing can stay unchanged. Even so, can you still keep on loving this place?

-Be still my soul; when change and tears are past, all safe and blessed we shall meet at last.
Sep 18, 2013 8:41 AM

Jul 2012
this is a tripping balls anime so far, and her eyes, they are just mental...
but there's some reason I'll keep watching, and I like the OP sng
Oct 18, 2013 6:47 AM

Jun 2013
Like the first episode, this was confusing as hell! Yet its pretty good :)
Nov 2, 2013 5:35 AM

Feb 2011
so maybe the "double" of lain had some connection with her
lain seems to still be still shocked from the suicide of chiyo

Fixes to make the Profile more bearable after "the Modern★Profile★Update★★Rip★Profile★"
Dec 3, 2013 8:40 PM

Apr 2012
A few things to point out this episode.

Lain sees Karl (the guy in a suit that lain was scared of in her way to school) watching her, we don't know anything about him yet, but he will become relevant later on. The same goes with Taro and the other kids that lain see in the stairs of cyberia.

At the start of the episode lain was using her navi and her sister comes in and tell her that she thought she was talking with an imaginary friend, but later in the episode we can see that Arisu (the friend from school) tells Lain that they saw someone like Lain in the club the past night. Right after that Lain goes to cyberia to hang out with the girls but the guy we see taking the "Accela" drug in the first minutes of the episode goes haywire and try to kill lain, but instead he kills himself because lain says "no matter where you go, everyone is connected". This makes you think that the other Lain was not another lain, but the same lain, she was connected through her navi the past night but she doesn't know this.

We also see Lain starting to feel the wired in the real world, this is the scene where she was in the halls of the school and starts to see some ghostlike creatures. She's more connected to the wired now but she doesn't know how to handle it.
なんとかなる
Dec 4, 2013 1:10 AM
Nov 2013
Well, I'm hooked. I wasn't quite sure what to think of the first episode but this one was great. It does a great job of building mystery around lain and the scene in Cyberia was very intense. Loved the soundtrack during that scene as well. I could see this becoming a great anime, if it goes in the right direction.
Dec 12, 2013 5:11 PM
Mar 2012
I generally don't like "strange for the sake of strange" and I don't like pointless mindfucks--didn't like FLCL or even Neon Evangelion for example. I very rarely drop anime, but as of episode two it's on thin ice. This is probably premature though, sometimes series take a couple of them to warm up (though by about the third or fourth you know if it's going to work out.)

However, I did like Kara No Kyoukai, Ghost In Shell: 2nd Gig and Ergo Proxy, so I'll give it one more episode.
Dec 15, 2013 6:32 PM

Dec 2012
This episode just further adds to the confusion, what happened to the girl in the first episode, did we forget about her?
Dec 27, 2013 2:11 PM
May 2013
Feels weird , sooo weird , NGE was easier to understand .
Jun 25, 2014 6:20 AM

Jan 2014
Lain is so weird!
And her eyes...
Aug 15, 2014 4:02 PM

Dec 2012
Meronpan_Chan said:
I can't stop watching this. I don't understand much yet, but it's strangely interesting.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» This is the first anime to truly mindf*** me

mydaddy - May 22

21 by TRVE_Levitoathan »»
May 28, 12:22 AM

Poll: » Serial Experiments Lain Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nini - Dec 30, 2008

373 by Zaynorang »»
May 23, 11:54 PM

Poll: » Serial Experiments Lain Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

aero - Mar 16, 2009

174 by Bunker-Nines »»
May 19, 1:15 PM

» How do you feel about Serial Experiments Lain?

Je-suis-lui - May 1

9 by Zedlin »»
May 13, 11:35 AM

» Will this come over to crunchyroll?

Rockyjams909 - May 7

16 by FlavioTP126 »»
May 12, 9:34 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.