Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
frieren is shonen but is it a battle shonen?
Apr 24, 8:21 PM

Jan 2009
voted i do not know for now but even if its a battle shonen its not a traditional one like its lacking training arcs and tournament arcs
Apr 24, 8:28 PM

Aug 2018
Frieren is an overpowered shounen protagonist who battles demons. I'm not sure about the semantics, but I don't think it's a battle shounen... yet.
Apr 24, 8:54 PM
Dec 2022
no, I mean yeah she's freaking powerful but I don't think she's among the top 5 most powerful individuals in her verse. there's Flamme, Macht and even Serie.
Apr 24, 8:58 PM
May 2022
Rhaelynne said:
Frieren is an overpowered shounen protagonist who battles demons. I'm not sure about the semantics, but I don't think it's a battle shounen... yet.

She isn’t over powered. The siri wtv the name elf said she’s quite average for an elf who’s lived as long as her.
Apr 24, 8:59 PM
May 2022
Pablo_Neruda1 said:
no, I mean yeah she's freaking powerful but I don't think she's among the top 5 most powerful individuals in her verse. there's Flamme, Macht and even Serie.

She’s stronger than flamme I think because she didn’t mention her name when she said she’s been beat only 5-6times.
Apr 24, 9:00 PM
Dec 2022
ElmoBoredAsf said:
Pablo_Neruda1 said:

She’s stronger than flamme I think because she didn’t mention her name when she said she’s been beat only 5-6times.

5 to 6 times? in the manga, she stated she's lost to 11 mages or so in her lifetime but it's ambiguous so we'll never know.
Apr 24, 9:36 PM
Jan 2023
Pablo_Neruda1 said:
ElmoBoredAsf said:

5 to 6 times? in the manga, she stated she's lost to 11 mages or so in her lifetime but it's ambiguous so we'll never know.

I think she said something similar too losing 11 times but 5 or 6 of them were to humans but I could be wrong
Apr 24, 9:38 PM
Jan 2023
also I wouldn't call it a battle shounen even tho it had fights it's more so about a "journey" and fighting is kinda just a side thing
Apr 24, 9:45 PM
Nov 2016
I wouldn't call it battle shounen for the simple fact I wouldn't consider it shounen at all
Apr 24, 9:49 PM
Dec 2022
Xjebtvybrhfye said:
Pablo_Neruda1 said:

I think she said something similar too losing 11 times but 5 or 6 of them were to humans but I could be wrong

I can't remember to be honest but oh well.
Apr 24, 9:50 PM
Apr 2022
Its not typical shonen show like others
Apr 24, 10:08 PM
Dec 2019
Survivalfreak said:
I wouldn't call it battle shounen for the simple fact I wouldn't consider it shounen at all

Shounen is literally just the target demographic
Apr 24, 10:42 PM
Sep 2013
It feels a little battle shounen-like in the First Class Mage Exam Arc, but the show overall doesn't have enough focus on fights for me to call it a battle shounen.
Apr 24, 11:12 PM
Dec 2022
No, she might be powerful but she's not a battle shลnen protagonist.
Apr 25, 12:22 AM

Feb 2020
Frieren wants to be a lot of things, but ends up being nothing.

Apr 25, 12:23 AM

Feb 2020
myrmidon_mamori said:
It feels a little battle shounen-like in the First Class Mage Exam Arc, but the show overall doesn't have enough focus on fights for me to call it a battle shounen.

It has more fights than jjk

Apr 25, 3:15 AM
Sep 2022
Cyrose said:
Frieren wants to be a lot of things, but ends up being nothing.

Goo goo ga ga ripped off ๐Ÿ˜‚
Apr 25, 3:51 AM
Feb 2022
Survivalfreak said:

the manga is published on a magazine known as Shonen Sunday. That is the only requisite to be one
Apr 25, 4:31 AM

Nov 2020
I found out that it is a shounen only during the exam thread, so well... apart from the first stage of the exam, I don't feel like it resembles a shounen at all, and certainly not a battle shounen
Apr 25, 5:41 AM

Aug 2020
Yes. The only things lacking are the scenes where Frieren says that she was like her enemy in the past, and then a flashback rolls through two episodes in a row.

Apr 25, 5:52 AM

Sep 2018
Yes, Sousou no Frieren is the best battle shounen.
Apr 25, 10:48 AM
Apr 2023
Pablo_Neruda1 said:

but I think in the present time in the anime, she is the strongest after serie and she has won against flamme but I'm not sure about this though
Apr 25, 10:50 AM
Apr 2023
Cyrose said:
myrmidon_mamori said:

It has more fights than jjk

And less killing than jjk
Apr 25, 10:51 AM
Dec 2022
_K1r1t0_ said:
Pablo_Neruda1 said:

but I think in the present time in the anime, she is the strongest after serie and she has won against flamme but I'm not sure about this though

yeah I'm gonna have to disagree though.
Apr 25, 10:53 AM
Apr 2023
Pablo_Neruda1 said:
_K1r1t0_ said:

why? I thought she is the strongest after serie and she has won against flamme
Apr 25, 10:57 AM
Dec 2022
_K1r1t0_ said:
Pablo_Neruda1 said:

are you reading the manga?
Apr 25, 11:00 AM
Apr 2023
Pablo_Neruda1 said:
_K1r1t0_ said:

Ahmm No? Well you can spoil a bit though, I'm curious
Apr 25, 11:07 AM
Dec 2022
_K1r1t0_ said:
Pablo_Neruda1 said:

Frieren has lost to a demon as well.
Apr 25, 11:09 AM
Apr 2023
Pablo_Neruda1 said:
_K1r1t0_ said:

yeah I know that but I said in the present time she is the second strongest and has won against flamme but I'm not sure if she can beat the present demon king though
Apr 25, 11:15 AM
Dec 2022
_K1r1t0_ said:
Pablo_Neruda1 said:

yeah I know that but I said in the present time she is the second strongest and has won against flamme but I'm not sure if she can beat the present demon king though

yeah, present time but I was talking about generally in the verse.
Apr 25, 11:16 AM
Apr 2023
Pablo_Neruda1 said:
_K1r1t0_ said:

ohh I agree too then ๐Ÿ˜…
Apr 25, 11:17 AM
Dec 2022
_K1r1t0_ said:
Pablo_Neruda1 said:

yeah( character limit)
Apr 25, 11:20 AM
Apr 2023
Pablo_Neruda1 said:
_K1r1t0_ said:

yeah( character limit)

broo ๐Ÿ˜‚ thanks for giving a nice idea (character limit)
Apr 25, 11:20 AM
Dec 2022
_K1r1t0_ said:
Pablo_Neruda1 said:

yeah( character limit)

๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚nah, don't sweat it.
Apr 25, 11:22 AM
Apr 2023
Pablo_Neruda1 said:
_K1r1t0_ said:

๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚nah, don't sweat it.

๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚Rogar that๐Ÿซก
Apr 25, 12:04 PM

Sep 2016
Episodes 8,9,10,19,20,21,23,24,25,26 were battle heavy, so at least 10 of 28 overall ~36% (more probably ~40% if the small battles are added)

But I don't know the required percentage to be considered a battle Anime.

Personally it felt like there were enough battles, so I say yes.

ZarutakuApr 25, 12:26 PM
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Apr 25, 6:51 PM
Apr 2024
no, battle shonen is a shonen manga/anime with fighting in it but frieren shouldn't be considered as a battle shonen cause there's more to it than just fighting and it isn't really the main focus of the series
Apr 25, 9:29 PM

Jan 2021
I don't think I'd call it a battle shonen, but

>lacking training arcs
That's because Frieren is already OP from the start, just take Hokuto no Ken as another example of a battle shonen without training arcs.

>tournament arcs
The anime literally ends in one identical to the Chuunin Exams and Hunter Exams.
Apr 26, 1:34 AM
Mar 2022
Why would it be shonen when shonen is for young male MCs.
Apr 26, 2:34 AM

Jan 2009
Reply to Sackyman5
Why would it be shonen when shonen is for young male MCs.
@Sackyman5 because shonen is a label use for demographics and the label use by manga publishers so shonen is not a genre but battle shonen is a genre made by western fans to say action manga
Apr 26, 2:38 AM

Jan 2009
Reply to Zarutaku
Episodes 8,9,10,19,20,21,23,24,25,26 were battle heavy, so at least 10 of 28 overall ~36% (more probably ~40% if the small battles are added)

But I don't know the required percentage to be considered a battle Anime.

Personally it felt like there were enough battles, so I say yes.

@Zarutaku nice doing the math but i also agree 40% of content is action and more when season 2 comes so it counts as action anime like battle shonen as usual the poll is subject to big bias
Apr 26, 2:47 AM

Sep 2016
Reply to deg
@Zarutaku nice doing the math but i also agree 40% of content is action and more when season 2 comes so it counts as action anime like battle shonen as usual the poll is subject to big bias
@deg I guess most people vote "no" because they don't want Frieren to be associated with the bad reputation of other battle shounen.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Apr 26, 2:52 AM

Jan 2009
Reply to Zarutaku
@deg I guess most people vote "no" because they don't want Frieren to be associated with the bad reputation of other battle shounen.
@Zarutaku yep true for sure its not your traditional action manga or battle shonen anyway but still counts as one like you computed
Apr 26, 5:29 AM
Mar 2024
Shonen isn't a genre but a demographic. Technically it can be considered as targeting shonen demographic simply because it is published in a magazine that usually target this audience.
Now if you ask if Frieren is a nekketsu (what we call 'battle shonen' in the West). Then no it's not a nekketsu. Frieren lacks the essence of a nekketsu. Frieren isn't the story about a human becoming a legend, but the story of a legendary geek trying to figure out a better way of life.
Apr 26, 5:32 AM

Jan 2009
Reply to Danakane
Shonen isn't a genre but a demographic. Technically it can be considered as targeting shonen demographic simply because it is published in a magazine that usually target this audience.
Now if you ask if Frieren is a nekketsu (what we call 'battle shonen' in the West). Then no it's not a nekketsu. Frieren lacks the essence of a nekketsu. Frieren isn't the story about a human becoming a legend, but the story of a legendary geek trying to figure out a better way of life.
@Danakane the thing is rarely anyone on the west know what nekketsu is so to the western fans battle shonen is simply action manga or action anime
Apr 26, 6:07 AM
Mar 2024
Reply to deg
@Danakane the thing is rarely anyone on the west know what nekketsu is so to the western fans battle shonen is simply action manga or action anime
@deg I would argue that "action manga/anime" is not what people have in mind when they talk about "battle shonen".
For example Pumpkin Scissors is an action anime targeting the shonen demographic. Yet none would consider it as a "battle shonen".
People would name works like Dragon Ball, Naruto, One Piece, Demon Slayer, JJK... all of them being typical example of Nekketsu.
Apr 26, 6:09 AM

Jan 2009
Reply to Danakane
@deg I would argue that "action manga/anime" is not what people have in mind when they talk about "battle shonen".
For example Pumpkin Scissors is an action anime targeting the shonen demographic. Yet none would consider it as a "battle shonen".
People would name works like Dragon Ball, Naruto, One Piece, Demon Slayer, JJK... all of them being typical example of Nekketsu.
@Danakane do a lot of anime fans know nekketsu by knowledge or just by feel? because i doubt they can explain properly what makes those examples like dragon ball and naruto so similar except they are all done by shonen jump manga
Apr 26, 7:22 AM
Mar 2024
Reply to deg
@Danakane do a lot of anime fans know nekketsu by knowledge or just by feel? because i doubt they can explain properly what makes those examples like dragon ball and naruto so similar except they are all done by shonen jump manga
@deg If they can lump them together, I think they at least recognize some similar pattern and shared theme by those manga/anime. None would call Sakamoto Days a battle shonen despite the fact it has action and is published in Weekly Shonen Jump.
DanakaneApr 26, 7:37 AM
Apr 26, 4:06 PM
Mar 2021
I think its more fantasy than shounen m, but since it's a shounen jump IP (don't quote me on that) I guess it's "fantasy shounen"

More topics from this board

» When will S2 happen ;__;

FrierenSimpKing - May 29

35 by Scyon »»
11 hours ago

» Is Himmel a Manic Pixie Dream Boy?

Moonshine_cookie - Yesterday

15 by Mdraj6996 »»
Today, 9:45 AM

Poll: » Sousou no Frieren Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 8, 2023

333 by haminshamin »»
Yesterday, 4:43 PM

Poll: » Sousou no Frieren Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 2

273 by Arxanum »»
Yesterday, 2:31 AM

Poll: » Sousou no Frieren Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Dec 1, 2023

232 by Vindicater »»
May 31, 11:05 PM
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.