Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
May 26, 2016 8:58 AM

Jul 2015
hgeronimo said:
DigiTempus said:

Don't get yourself too excited ;)

yea, i'm at ep 07 now, and it's really slow and not dark at all. :D
Guess i had the wrong hype for this show.

It will change, give it until a little past halfway.
Jul 9, 2016 3:01 AM

Aug 2012
I actually saw this awhile ago but I suppose I'll leave my thoughts here anyway. This was a pretty entertaining episode sans [most of] the action sequence, which I thought was pretty boring. However, I can't honestly say that's much of a problem with this series since, to me, they've been framing the action as secondary. I'm not sure if my knowledge of where the series eventually goes plays in to this at all but I definitely feel like the series is framing the whole angel war stuff as secondary to the influences the burden of responsibility is having on Shinji. Which is something that also took me off guard. I knew that ultimately this series wasn't action driven but I had suspected the series would start off by highlighting the action & hinting towards the deeper emotional issues only later to switch the values until the emotional drama is full & center. But all three episodes have already emphasized the human components far more than the action. But segueing back to the burden of responsibility, I thought this episode did a great job of conveying not only how it affects Shinji's mentality but how his responsibility piloting the Eva permeates out into his school life. The stuff with Toji is good stuff, it's not uncommon that those who suffered loss (granted his sister lived) during a war blame those who participated in it. But what made the episode powerful was how he was only able to reach Shinji when he had a negative view on his effect. There are bound to be supporters along with all the haters (kinda hate using that word in this context due but I can't think of an alternative) but the latter group is not only more vocal but their negativity can leave a pronounced effect, even cancelling out the light. I know people who can get praises & compliments all the time but one really negative comment directed at there expense can ruin their whole day. To the point where even if you try to reach them (as Toji did at the end) you might not be able to find them in the darkness. This episode made a poignant point here regardless of where the future episodes take this angle. & the scene where Shinji loses it while Toji & Kensuke are in the Eva with him was a great moment too.
Jul 20, 2016 6:29 AM

Oct 2015
That 4th angel looked a little out of place... AND SO ADORABLE. I'm a fan!
Jul 23, 2016 10:11 PM

Jan 2016
so you hit the guy that saved the city because your sister was "injured"?
what kind of bitch shit is this logic?
Jul 23, 2016 10:37 PM

Jun 2009
Mr_Shnb said:

I mean, even if illogical, it seems to be understandable that he would blame the kid that was piloting the Eva in a battle which caused his sister to get hurt? Not saying I agree Toji, I'm just saying I can see where he's coming from.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jul 23, 2016 11:08 PM

Jan 2016
Ston3_FreeN7 said:
Mr_Shnb said:

I mean, even if illogical, it seems to be understandable that he would blame the kid that was piloting the Eva in a battle which caused his sister to get hurt? Not saying I agree Toji, I'm just saying I can see where he's coming from.

if it wasn't for this kid, his sister would be dead instead of injured.
Jul 24, 2016 6:11 AM
Oct 2011
Mr_Shnb said:
Ston3_FreeN7 said:

He's angry he can't take his anger out on the angel so he takes it out on Shinji as a scapegoat. It's illogical as hell but human history is filled with examples such as this. Many with FAR WORSE repercussions.
Jul 24, 2016 6:52 AM

Jun 2009
animalia said:
Mr_Shnb said:

He's angry he can't take his anger out on the angel so he takes it out on Shinji as a scapegoat. It's illogical as hell but human history is filled with examples such as this. Many with FAR WORSE repercussions.

Yeah, exactly this.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Aug 3, 2016 10:17 AM

Aug 2016
I heard alot of bad stuff about Shinji but tbh his reactions are completely fine to me.

4/5
Oct 23, 2016 10:46 AM

Aug 2014
My boy Shinji is losing it o_0
Nov 13, 2016 6:45 PM

Dec 2013
The second part was amusing, and I'm not talking about the fight. Shinji' intrigues me. I don't despise his guts but I want to see if he'll grow as a character.
FragOutFire said:

Why am I a Berserk fan? All I ever experience is pain.

We are in the eclipse and Miura has sacrificed us
Dec 7, 2016 8:54 AM
Feb 2015
not all that hyped about it but will see in the next episodes
Dec 28, 2016 1:31 PM
Jun 2016
It must have been really awkward to record those screams in the studio lol
Jan 1, 2017 10:37 PM

Feb 2013
Good episode. Glad that school life didn't get it the way as much. And that kid punches Shinji twice. Those two almost died too.

Geez, that screaming. Then again whatever the unit feels the pilot feels too I guess. I mean he did have two tentacles going right through him. He must've been in a lot of pain. And to kill that Angel's too.

Hmm. It seems Angel's weakness seem to be that red orb they all have. I wonder where they come from. I hope this gets answered. I'm very intrigued. I wonder if it'll go the Pacific Rim route where there's some portal and that they're made or something like that. Or I guess the other way around since this came out wayyyyyy before Pacific Rim.
Jan 1, 2017 10:40 PM

Oct 2012
Nano1124 said:
Good episode. Glad that school life didn't get it the way as much. And that kid punches Shinji twice. Those two almost died too.

Geez, that screaming. Then again whatever the unit feels the pilot feels too I guess. I mean he did have two tentacles going right through him. He must've been in a lot of pain. And to kill that Angel's too.

Hmm. It seems Angel's weakness seem to be that red orb they all have. I wonder where they come from. I hope this gets answered. I'm very intrigued. I wonder if it'll go the Pacific Rim route where there's some portal and that they're made or something like that. Or I guess the other way around since this came out wayyyyyy before Pacific Rim.

I'll just quickly let you know ahead of time, the red orb is simply called the "Core" ^.^

Good luck on this ride known as Evangelion haha!

Just this once, I'll fulfill whatever your wish is.
Jan 1, 2017 11:34 PM

Feb 2013
Shoryu said:
Nano1124 said:

I'll just quickly let you know ahead of time, the red orb is simply called the "Core" ^.^

Good luck on this ride known as Evangelion haha!

Oh, ok. Cool. Nice to know that. So it's a core.

Yeah thanks! I'm really enjoying it so far. Just finished episode 4.
Jan 11, 2017 5:26 PM

Sep 2015
He's been slightly brainwashed and Toji needs to apologize asap
Jun 23, 2017 3:34 PM

Apr 2014
Poor thing is losing his sh*t.
Sep 3, 2017 3:43 AM

Nov 2016
Shinjis outburst was quite something.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Oct 22, 2017 11:25 AM

Jul 2013
Never thought that Evangelion would be this intense....
Dec 13, 2017 6:57 PM

Feb 2012
Shinji is kind of annoying but also realistic at the same time. He's suddenly thrown into this intense situation so it's natural for him to freeze up and freak out. It's refreshing to see a character that isn't automatically incredibly talented at piloting a mech like in some other shows. I hope to see him develop and mature throughout this anime.

I will also say that Shinji has me filled with anxiety 'cause it feels like I never know what he's gonna do next. The kid is so emotionally unstable that it seems like this can't end well. Like, can they really not find someone better to pilot the eva? because Shinji over here has some real issues.
Jan 18, 2018 6:28 PM

Apr 2015
Neon Genesis Evangelion provided a surprisingly accurate depiction of classrooms in 2015: students all staring at (likely school-sponsored) devices they're all using to communicate with each other and tune out the oblivious teacher's bullshit. Someone who's less socially awkward and with less daddy issues than Shinji would be using that EVA pilot status to score some poontang.

It does look like Shinji has a geeky admirer and another guy who acts tough but sorta cares about him.

I felt bad for Shinji and how he kept getting thrown into battles...up until the point he decided to go nuts and charge on the Angel. "Shinji, retreat!" "AAAAAAAAAAAAA!" "What the hell that is definitely not retreating"
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Feb 16, 2018 3:11 PM

Mar 2016
Nice action with some intensely painful scream! The sphere thing on the angels are obviously the weak spots, but it seems pretty hard to break. (What do you expect?)

Tokyo 3 city is advanced af! The city is basically a modular and multi-purposed fortress! Imagine the operating and building price!!!

Got some hints to a slight mental problem there. I think if Shinji does not feel the pain which his Eva is experiencing, he'll be more effective in defeating the angels, but somehow, he feels the Eva's pain in return for more control... Right?
Mar 3, 2018 9:56 AM

Feb 2018
Another good one, you can really feel the emotions of these characters so well.
Shinji's scream says it all, and the rain/empty phone-booth scene was powerful.
The phone still never rings...
Aug 21, 2018 2:05 AM

Feb 2017
Being an Eva pilot is suffering :(
Dec 7, 2018 10:30 AM

Aug 2013
Great episode.

Shinji's screams are quite annoying.

Jan 9, 2019 6:31 PM
Jan 2019
While you watch the 3rd episode you start to realize that something is wrong with Shinji, not only that but something is wrong with everyone. It's the starting point of a promising character development
Apr 22, 2019 5:05 AM

May 2016
He was having a really hard time fighting against that Angel because of the Eva's power cable detaching and his classmates being so close to the danger in addition to how powerful his opponent was but he still decided to charge forth to finish his fight then and there.

That guy might've beaten Shinji up for his little sister but he now has an idea on how much he goes through whenever he pilots the Evangelion so he should give him a break for once.

May 15, 2019 6:50 PM
Apr 2016
Well, I can understand why he did that to Shinji, if he knew what was going on with him, he wouldn't have done it. It was nice seeing him regret punching Shinji at the end though. Seems like Shinji's emotions are bottling up a lot, the attack at the end was a form of venting for him.
May 30, 2019 6:42 PM

Dec 2018
omg that episode was amazing....
Jun 27, 2019 4:01 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
I've always loved, loved that scene were Unit 01 runs out of power in a kneeling position with the sunset. It's such a memorable image in my anime fandom.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jun 28, 2019 12:25 AM

Jul 2009
Great episode!!! More action packed for this episode :)

Also, Shinji's scream is so mortifying! It feels like he really is stabbing someone in the eye with the switchblade. Amazing performance for Megumi Ogata!

Next episode more weeping!
Jul 26, 2019 8:22 PM

Jun 2015
megumi ogata's performance here is outstanding, god i love her
Oct 5, 2019 1:59 AM

Oct 2012
Guess it's true boys have to beat each other first in order to become friends xD

I know Megumi Ogata is Shinji right now, but I can't get out of my head Naegi & Komaeda's voices :P
"Signature removed"
Oct 8, 2019 6:43 PM

Nov 2017
Ahhh, the hedgehog's dilemma. How close can we get to someone if there is a risk of hurting them? It always reminds me of that Bob Marley quote, "The truth is, everyone is going to hurt you. You just got to find the ones worth suffering for". There isn't an easy answer to the question.

&++ how the hell am I now just noticing more of the instruments used in the OP??? Whilst I'm still on the music, I really like how it's used to add suspense and tension
Oct 28, 2019 6:51 AM

Sep 2011
Nice episode, I'm starting to like Shinji. I hope they show more of Rei, it would be nice to see she controlling a Eva too.
Nov 27, 2019 11:03 PM
Nov 2018
Haha Shinji boy went mad and stabbed that angel's ball. 😂
And it's cute when they announce there will be fan services in next ep. I'm really enjoying this anime. XD

"Self respect is the greatest gift we can give to our self"

Dec 19, 2019 7:52 AM

Jun 2013
I can definitely see why so many people are annoyed by Shinji. good episode though
Apr 3, 2020 9:58 PM

Dec 2019
That was a really close one, another 10 seconds and he woulda died for sure.
                                                         🖤   

May 22, 2020 9:44 AM
Discord Moderator
Divine Protector

Sep 2019
Those two kids from shinjis class are asshats.

I'm wondering what the deal is with the Eva growing actual fingers.
Jul 11, 2020 5:31 PM

Feb 2020
god i really love the intro

an intense episode!!!! i like how it also explores the heavy psychological toll this is taking on shinji, as well as having awesome fight scenes

i hope the school aspect doesn't get too heavy, that's not what i'm here for

i'm loving this show so much :)))
Aug 31, 2020 7:31 PM

Jan 2019
I feel bad for Shinji, a kid thrown into this kinda stuff is really harsh and on top of that his father is just using him. His characterization and depiction of his emotions is really well done. I also love the coloring of the anime.
candies:

Sep 25, 2020 6:23 PM

Apr 2020
I'm really worried about Shinji's mental state now.

And that Evangelion had an actual fleshy hand under the armor … like the eye in the previous episode...

Are they made from the very creatures that they fight? That is what I'm theorizing.
--AbiSa--
Oct 6, 2020 11:34 PM

Aug 2018
Damn you just can't not feel bad for Shinji, all his life must've been one big depression
Oct 13, 2020 9:48 AM

Jun 2020
What a great episode, I felt so bad for Shinji.......his screams almost brought tears to my eyes. That was so intense.

I actually fail to see why people are annoyed with him. I read this on an analysis of Shinji & it resonated a lot with me:
You don’t have to like Shinji. You don’t even have to forgive everything he does. But if you want to know what’s going on inside a depressed person’s mind, trying to understand Shinji Ikari isn’t a bad start. He may be fictional, but his struggles represent a surprising amount of reality. Luckily for everyone in the real world, though, we only have to deal with mental troubles instead of giant monsters trying to kill us.

but i’ll probably remember over and over again
you were there and everyone else was there
— the day we all searched for just one thing

Oct 26, 2020 3:46 AM

Dec 2012
Shinji.
His face.
Shinji in class. Rei too.
Toji.
Second Impact.
Dat message.
15 years since Second Impact.
Girls messaging Shinji.
He said yes. The whole class jumped.
Dat punch.
Rei.
Dat Angel.
Toji and Kensuke are outside.
Toji and Kensuke almost get crushed.
Dat hand.
Dat stab.
Dat ending.

Toji wearing FILA. lol
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Dec 29, 2020 9:25 PM

Aug 2019
Another intense episode ngl, another angel coming and Shinji having to fucking fling his life at it and get even more intense trauma.
Find it funny as well how he just casually slips in, what is probably, extremely classified information about him being a pilot of an eva, as well as other things as well.

Ah yes, as if Shinji at the age of 14, couldn't get anymore stressed about, you know, piloting a fucking 75 meter tall death robot with the rest of humanity resting on his shoulders, now has to deal with one of the next worst things, school. I mean i find it funny how the dipshit chad decides to fucking punch the guy that saved the city, "whats that, you're sister was injured? Oh how unbearable, yeh punch the guy that killed the angel, i'm sure even if he did die in that battle you're sister would only be injured at best"

at least the guy with glasses has a somewhat brain, and made sure to remind the chad he fucked up.
Feb 11, 2021 9:00 AM
Jul 2017
Started out sad and kinda scary really. He is a kid dealing with all this and no one seems to see the pain.
Feb 13, 2021 10:11 AM

Feb 2020
good episode,things keep getting interesting. i feel bad for shinji...
Mar 1, 2021 12:29 AM

Mar 2010
Punching the guy who saved you is dumb. The two kids are annoying. Hope Shinji finds people who cares about him because his dad sure don't.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» Do you have any Evangelion merchandise? ( 1 2 )

TsutanaiFuun - May 29

58 by 3looming »»
5 hours ago

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Nov 30, 2007

266 by goofyahhgoofy »»
8 hours ago

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

then - May 10, 2008

161 by NihilisticMystic »»
May 29, 8:24 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

813 by katto_al_ameer »»
May 28, 6:48 AM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Voltlighter - Nov 30, 2007

227 by wallus81 »»
May 27, 1:24 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.