Forum Settings
Forums

One Piece: Episode of Sabo - 3 Kyoudai no Kizuna Kiseki no Saikai to Uketsugareru Ishi Episode 1 Discussion

New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 22, 2015 12:47 PM

Mar 2015
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I thought that this special was very nice and, contray to the current arc, it was really enjoyable. Reminded me of why I like OP so much etc you know the talk.

Oh and there was a movie announcment at the end. Summer 2016 and more news in WSJ 40 at the end of August.
Aug 22, 2015 1:24 PM

Apr 2012
HeroKenzan said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
I thought that this special was very nice and, contray to the current arc, it was really enjoyable. Reminded me of why I like OP so much etc you know the talk.

Oh and there was a movie announcment at the end. Summer 2016 and more news in WSJ 40 at the end of August.

I am still waiting for a site to upload it. Did you watch it subbed? Crunhyroll were supposed to stream it, but still nothing... T_T
Aug 22, 2015 1:28 PM

Mar 2015
NemsEngelchen said:
HeroKenzan said:

I am still waiting for a site to upload it. Did you watch it subbed? Crunhyroll were supposed to stream it, but still nothing... T_T

I watched it raw, sorry to disappoint you.

I'm sure it will be subbed soon, last year it didn't even take a single day iirc.
Aug 23, 2015 6:09 AM
Aug 2008
Episode was boring, but I liked one thing.

Reunion of Sabo and Luffy was more touching than in anime itself.
Aug 23, 2015 6:25 AM
Jul 2018
All the stuff we've already seen was pretty boring. All the moments with Sabo in it were awesome though, especially his reunion with Luffy.
Aug 23, 2015 7:19 AM

Jun 2007
Boring, absolutely boring.

Like the previous posters said, the reunion was better.
Aug 23, 2015 8:13 AM

Jun 2014
it was nice but i hipe they would show the reason why sabo didnt came to save ace during the war at the marinford and what happend during all these years he been with dragon and revolutionaries.
but in the end it was just a recap of dressrosa arc

anime/manga/gaming/Arui43
Aug 23, 2015 8:43 AM
Mar 2015
was there any action in the special?
Aug 23, 2015 10:17 AM

Jul 2009
Just finished watching it and I expected more original content. I was disappointed that it was only a recap of the first part of Dressrosa Arc

Arui43 said:
it was nice but i hipe they would show the reason why sabo didnt came to save ace during the war at the marinford and what happend during all these years he been with dragon and revolutionaries.

It is better that they didn't show the reason for that since

It would be more logical for it to be shown in the actual series.

milkydean said:
was there any action in the special?

Yes, but only those that you have already seen since it was just a recap.
This is a signature.
Aug 23, 2015 10:40 AM

Jun 2013
Well that was a bit underwhelming.
Aug 23, 2015 11:25 AM

Aug 2013
metsujin said:
ShiraKiryuu said:
Just finished watching it and I expected more original content. I was disappointed that it was only a recap of the first part of Dressrosa Arc

Arui43 said:
edwarx said:
LittleRookie said:
All the stuff we've already seen was pretty boring.
Wojtini21 said:

I think you guys were expecting a movie. If you watched any of the other One Piece Specials, you should expect it just to be a recap of previous arcs told in different perspectives with new animation. Episode of Sabo is no different in that aspect than any of the other specials.

Overall, it was well made, but it wasn't perfect. I really believe that Toei Animation should have waited for this to come out until Chapter 794 gets adapted into the anime, which

Like the other posters said, most of the scenes in the special were better executed than the scenes in the anime, except for the Marineford flashback. I didn't care for the directing in the Marineford flashback, nor the reduced colour saturation.
KalleyAug 23, 2015 11:46 AM
Aug 23, 2015 11:57 AM

Jun 2013
Kalley said:

I think you guys were expecting a movie. If you watched any of the other One Piece Specials, you should expect it just to be a recap of previous arcs told in different perspectives with new animation. Episode of Sabo is no different in that aspect than any of the other specials.

Overall, it was well made, but it wasn't perfect. I really believe that Toei Animation should have waited for this to come out until Chapter 794 gets adapted into the anime, which

Like the other posters said, most of the scenes in the special were better executed than the scenes in the anime, except for the Marineford flashback. I didn't care for the directing in the Marineford flashback, nor the reduced colour saturation.

I've watched other episodes, and I know, but it didn't do for me anything given that this wasn't what I wanted to see, as you said it would've been better if they waited and made it after they animated chapter 794 in the anime, that I would've loved to see.

They would have more budget to do it, we might've seen more of his time as a revolutionary, possibly more interacting with Dragon, it would've been great.

Yes this was well done, but it's pretty average/fine, in my opinion.
Aug 23, 2015 12:48 PM

Jan 2008
It would be better if they made Episode of Dressrosa in a year or two. Sabo seriously didn't get that much of screentime or plot points to warrant him his own special. In fact this episode is neither Episode of Sabo or Episode of Dressrosa: too little of Sabo fanservice and too inconsistent recap of current arc. Really important stuff like Violet, Rebecca's backstory, Straw Hats machinations and Law's vendetta is practically brushed over, while Colliseum which in retrospect shows jack-shit (yes, it's setting the story, but you know what I mean) gets like an hour of screentime. And the action isn't that great either. The best thing about this special is the fact that maybe they will finally stop returning to Marineford and showing Ace's death over and over and over and over and over again. ... Unless they make Episode of Sabo 2 for the second part of Dressrosa, which would be lame as hell.
Aug 23, 2015 2:37 PM

Jun 2015
Completely Useless!!
Just a recap of Dressrosa Arc and not one fucking shit about Sabo's unknown past with the Revs!!
Read Toriko!
Aug 23, 2015 5:52 PM

Jan 2014
Completely what I expected.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Aug 23, 2015 6:25 PM

Sep 2010
Hiken!!!!

That's what I expected, better animation on the scenes that we already saw. The only thing "extra" that I expected (and was not animated yes) was the recent chapter about Sabo backstory. They sure took few panels from it but they didn't took for example "reason why Sabo didn't go to Marineford or never told anyone that he is still alive". This part would help the episode a lot and I don't see why they hold back on it, if they already made 2 hour long "episode of SABO".

Apart from that, seeing Toei with this kind of pacing? Something really unusual.

Also there are rather a lot of unnecessary parts in this episode as well. (unnecesry while looking at the episode, as while looking at it as of advertisement for dressrosa arc, it's makes sense)

All in all just like other episodes, it's a quick retell of the story with better animation. Dressrosa is so damn long that it would need at least two episodes so they took the care of the first one.
Aug 23, 2015 7:40 PM

Jul 2009
Kalley said:

I know. But since the title was episode of Sabo I expected more original content than the other specials that actually involves mostly of just Sabo. The episode was mostly about the Colosseum fights from Block A to D and even shows some events outside of it, completely ignoring Sabo most of the time.

I guess I was really expecting much after reading the title, but still. This was really made too early since Sabo was only shown in the anime for only a few scenes. It would have made more sense if they made this special after the Dressrosa Arc.
This is a signature.
Aug 24, 2015 10:30 AM

Mar 2013
This was pretty pointless considering the dressrosa arc is still on going in the anime so theres no point to watch this if you're already following the anime, it was just a recap of the dressrosa arc with some slightly better animation with some parts looking pretty much the same as they would in the anime episodes.
Aug 24, 2015 10:58 AM

Jul 2012
I was expecting more. There is not much of a screen time for Sabo, I think they should have waited more.
"The opposite of boredom is not pleasure... but excitement. People will gladly seek out any kind of excitement, even pain." -Makishima Shougo
Aug 24, 2015 12:56 PM

Jan 2011
im a bit disappointed almost everything you can watch in anime
Aug 24, 2015 7:22 PM

Feb 2010
I was expecting more Sabo-behind-the-scene which wasnt shown in manga but nevertheless it was still heartwarming to watch ughk im so glad Sabo is alive ;w;
Aug 25, 2015 5:29 AM

Aug 2009
the synopsis for this "special" is highly misleading, we already saw this in the anime (except a few extra scenes but nothing really big) so what's the point?, Would've loved to see more background about Sabo's rescue from the Revolutionary army and his path & training..
Aug 25, 2015 7:20 AM

Apr 2014
I didn't expect that Ace's death would make me cry one more time.
"You don't become Hokage in order to be acknowledged by the village.
The one who is acknowledged by everyone, is the one who becomes Hokage."
Uchiha Itachi, Naruto Shippuden
Aug 25, 2015 4:08 PM

Jun 2008
Huge disappointment. It did give me the feels, but most of it was just boring recap of the Dressrosa events.
Aug 25, 2015 10:27 PM
Feb 2013
it was nice to see the recaps again! also to the point where we get to see a bit of sabo's side and the time between the three brothers...never fails to get me all emotional and get me super duper teary... T-T
Aug 26, 2015 2:25 AM

May 2014
Really disappointed Toei. I mean 1 hour and 46 min waste of my time. From what I heard only 15 min were new material. The rest were recap. -.-'

Not only that, but two of the most wanted scenes the fans wanted weren't included.

1. How Dragon saved Sabo when his boat got burned as a kid. We all knew he fell in the water and later Dragon saved him. But I would love to see that scene. I mean why not include it. It's not like Oda is going to use that information in manga anymore. Also, there is a theory that his mark on his left eye (from the screen) is made by that shooting, but I would liked a confirmation of it and how he got it.

2. What I also would like to see is were Sabo was when the war on Marineford were going on and what he were doing when Ace died. I mean I am amazed he didn't show up now that we knew he were alive. I know it were for the plot, but that's a plot hole.

What I also would love to see is how he build his connection with Dragon and how he joined the revolutionary army. But I think that is more manga material for the future. But I am still very disappointed how less new material it were in this special. Why is it called a special if 80-90 % is only going to be recap?? -.-'
Aug 26, 2015 2:26 AM

May 2014
heroashit said:

oh, that weren't inlcuded in the HorribleSubs version. Finally a new movie. It has been way too long time since last movie. December 2012 I think the Z movie were released. ^^
Aug 26, 2015 7:35 AM

Apr 2011
Something I wrote on a youtube comment, so it was in response to someone else, and is basically what I wanted to write here with different words... just lacked the energy to do so:

pearlwhite22Aug 24, 2015

That's basically what the specials are, which is why I'm flabbergasted that so many people expected something so different. The specials are recaps. They've always been and primarily always will be. The 3D2Y was an exception but it wasn't even canon, not really. As far as I see it, there will be yearly Specials as long as theirs a new setting/perspective/story to re-tell. This will probably continue until the EoS, or until ratings/sales drop, or until they get a new idea and decide to pause this project for a better one.

But the Specials are recaps. All the people that are rating the Sabo special low on myanimelist are literally making me want to scream all over that page that the Special is a recap! It's a recap! A goddamn recap like all the ones before it minus 3D2Y. It's so disappointing to see it get such low ratings just because people went in expecting new material. The Episode itself imo was amazing. I love kid Luffy and so I was looking forward to seeing those scenes reanimated, and they picked the best moments of Dressrosa to reanimate. The fight scenes were so freaking epic too. Like, 10/10 in my book.

And that is highly because I didn't come in expecting new material. Like, why would there be new material? How does that even make sense! Oda's not done telling Sabo's story in the manga and it would be illogical for Oda to tell Sabo's story in a special. It would make it less possible to tell that story in the manga, and any new material that's directly shown in animated media is known to be generally non-canon minus character designs and character existence. Also, that information wouldn't be able to be built upon except in other specials as a separate story that's irrelevant to the main one. Do people really want Sabo to become an unimportant side character that's only seen in specials? We want him to impact the main storyline! And he can't do that if his story gets out in a special. It needs to be canon through the manga! Like c'mon people!

Also, there's stuff about Sabo that HAS been revealed in the manga that's simply yet to be animated. For that to appear in the special, it would completely negate an entire episode which's main focus was explaining what happened to him. And we need our weekly episodes to have material and to exist at all! Reducing the existing material by one episode would make the anime even closer to the manga! Like, cmon! People needa use their heads a bit!

--EDIT--
A good example is the Neo Navy, which is different from the force of Don ChinJao. The NN was introduced in the film/filler so they can only now be relevant through other films and fillers. They CAN'T be important to the main storyline because it wasn't introduced in the manga first, and now simply won't be re-introduced into the series by way of intro-ing in the manga in the future. Theyre done. Not relevant to the main plot. And it's BECAUSE they were intro'd in animated content. If Sabo's backstory and all that info was revealed in a special first, then that would relegate his character to one that is unimportant and insignificant to the main plot, and NO ONE wants that.
DarkAngelzAug 26, 2015 7:41 AM
Aug 26, 2015 9:01 AM

Mar 2012
Milk that cow, toei!
End Zionazism
Aug 26, 2015 3:57 PM
Jul 2018
Kalley said:
metsujin said:
ShiraKiryuu said:

Arui43 said:
edwarx said:
LittleRookie said:
All the stuff we've already seen was pretty boring.
Wojtini21 said:

Late reply but i'm not sure why you added my quote, just because it's to be expected doesn't mean it wasn't boring.

They could of done a much better job with the stuff that was recapped and it wasn't really even an "Episode of Sabo"
Aug 26, 2015 8:44 PM

Jun 2014
Great Animation! Toei can surprise us sometimes with that kind of animation!
I really liked it even if there were scenes that we already seen and one another thing is that we got some spoilers even though they are little.
9/10!
Good job Toei!
Aug 29, 2015 9:34 AM

Jan 2012
Still they didn't explain,how could Sabo never heard about the war that gonna start becz Ace got captured.

Aug 30, 2015 1:57 AM

Jul 2008
I think they should have waited till the arc was over for a recap special.

It was okay but they left out the 2nd part due to the anime not being there which was seen in the credits.

Overall 6/10
Sep 5, 2015 4:55 PM

Dec 2012
That Burgess scene at the end of the credits was sneaky, love it.
Sep 9, 2015 6:13 AM

Aug 2012
Great special episode. One Piece is the only anime that always managed to make me cried everytime I watch/rewatch an arc. The recently Doflamingo's father as he quit Tenryuubito for the sake of living in harmony with humans, and the more recently Corazon's (Rosinante) determination/sacrifice to cure Law was a bull's-eye right in the feels (╥﹏╥)

Not sure why ppl complaining when this is not even a movie, but a recap 'special' episode which based on one person's point-of-view which is Sabo. I thoroughly enjoyed this especially the story about three brothers' childhood ^v^

Good job Toei, can't wait for more of the special episodes. One thing I'm complaining though was the lack appearance of Koala or at least a back-story of how she became friends with Nico Robin in Revolutionary Army LOL
Oct 10, 2015 9:08 PM

Jul 2013
That was for sure an awesome special. Sure there were a lot of thing we've already seen in the anime, but all the other things about sabo were great. So much sad scenes, I cried 3 - 4 times, especially when Luffy and Sabo meet each other again and all the scenes about Ace ;_;

Can't wait to see the new film in summer 2016 and of course all the other things they will do in the future. Good job. Arigatou for this, I enjoyed it to watch :)

Oct 12, 2015 5:33 PM

Aug 2014
That was a nice summary, but most of all the last seconds were touching. I don't remember Luffy's reaction when he watched Sabo in the anime.

Oh, pitiful shadow cloaked in darkness.
Thy actions cause men pain and suffering.
Thy hollow soul drowns in thy sins.
How would you like to see what death is like?
-Enma Ai
Oct 24, 2015 9:12 AM

Jan 2013
I know these specials usually are just a recap of what's happened before but ...
I would've loved if they actually showed a big portion of how Sabo got where he is right now.
How he joined the Rev. Army etc, some of his adventures.

Still enjoyable to watch though, a little bit less than expected (probably because we're still at the Dressrosa arc and have seen this not too long ago)
Dec 27, 2015 2:05 PM

Apr 2009
I rated it a 7/10. It's just a recap but the content is excellent so I'll still give it a decent score. Those scenes of child brotherhood after showing Ace's death never fail to tug at the heart strings.

I was kind of sort of maybe a little hoping for a better explanation of why Sabo didn't/couldn't go to save Ace. Especially since he's part of an organization in battle with the World Government and they'd know if someone as infamous as Ace was captured.
Mar 24, 2016 2:05 AM

Aug 2012
So they had the balls to create a recap special for an arc that was (is? don't follow One Piece's anime anymore) ongoing? Like I know that the Dressrosa arc is stupid long but that's blatantly milking the franchise. The synposis on MAL's page painted a far better picture, if only because it made it seem like the three's backstory would take up more of the runtime.

Honestly, the biggest problem with this special is the how much the recap deviates from the supposed focus, Sabo. Due to some good animation on Toei's part for a change, the new scenes with Sabo being entertaining (the joke with the toy's body parts popping out's pay-off being Sabo no-selling the last one was great) & my general love for those the backstory of the brothers manages to raise this up to a 6 for me (from a 5).
Jun 14, 2016 11:20 AM

May 2009
I loved the improved animation but I wish they had shown us how Dragon rescued Sabo.
"The weak get washed away by the tides of fate...The strong drink it up."-Godot
Aug 27, 2016 3:43 PM

Mar 2015
Nicely done fleshing out Sabo's backstory and how he didn't actually appear out of nowhere to replace Luffy in the final

9/10
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
May 9, 2017 10:17 AM

Jan 2014
well, it's pretty much the same as anime, but now it's from Sabo's point of view.

his debut as Fire fist are awesome too.
Jun 6, 2017 6:51 PM

May 2014
OH GOD I JUST LOVE SABO SO MUCH HE'S SO CHARMING I CAN'T EVEN

So this was- at its heart- a recap of a good chunk of the Dressrosa arc (+ Post-War) with bits of new Sabo content here and there. But hey, no complaints here because those two arcs happen to be some of my absolute favorites!

I'm also glad that some light was shed on what Sabo was actually doing off-screen because that bugged me when I was watching the arc.
It was especially adorkable when he phoned Koala to cry about meeting Luffy again ^^
Only complaint is that we didn't get enough Koala!!

The Ace stuff scorched up my soul like the Vivre card of a dying person.
I loved the end when Sabo gets the Mera- Mera no Mi and the whole "I promise! I'll never die!" thing flashes up ;-;

Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 13, 2017 6:08 PM

Dec 2016
A good, enjoyable special
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
May 12, 2018 2:09 PM

Mar 2017
I LOVE SABO SO MUCH T____T

ghaadddd sabo's reunion with luffy and the ending part was the best! T_T
I really cried, I suddenly remembered the marine ford arc T_______T

SOMEONE TELL ME THE TITLE OF OST AT
1:04:33 TO 1:05:56

PLEASE
eulsMar 17, 2019 3:56 AM

猫はかわいいです。 (ꈍ ‸ ꈍ)

Oct 3, 2018 3:12 PM

Mar 2010
this whole special just hurt...
May 14, 2019 4:13 PM
EOussama

Dec 2016
Mixed up feelings about this one, but mostly ended up enjoying it.
We all know how controversial the Dressrosa arc is to the majority of the fandom, for how stupidly some of its parts were dragged, and it felt like this special was no deference, you'd expect it to focus solely on Sabo, while it did do that, it ended up cramming a lot of irrelevant information, like they could have cut off those extra scenes that we've seen a hundred of times already and still had a respectable amount of new scenes to present.
I really love the Luffy vs. Don Chinjao fight in this one, I feel like it had some superiority over the Anime adaptation, mainly talking about the mid-fight portion.
Jun 28, 2022 11:45 PM

Nov 2010
They made the fights look cooler here compared to the main show.

Damn, I never knew Sabo and Naruto shared the same VA. No wonder his voice sounded so familiar.

Not bad, but super duper rushed towards the end. They realized too late they were running out of running time. lol 8/10
Jul 13, 2022 8:37 AM
Dec 2018
Stardew said:
this whole special just hurt...

My Eyes also hurts when I look at ur Profile Pic.

Kekw
My Candies:

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.