Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Jan 22, 2023 9:31 AM
Nov 2019
Incredibly fun and unique editing, loved the parallels between the conspiracy theory docu cuts and Lain's ongoing inner turmoil.
Jan 30, 2023 10:47 AM

Jun 2022
I dont know what's going on in this series, I'm rlly confused :c

Feb 14, 2023 12:02 AM

May 2018
Ok but why is the sis all wacko and stuff
No cap I really liked Mysterious Girlfriend X
Feb 24, 2023 3:09 AM
Jun 2021
starcorea said:
I think that the documentary was very relevant. The documentary was interesting in that it implied that by creating the internet, we are becoming like one huge network; and by comparing this network to the neurons in our brains, it seems that this network (or the 'Wired') would allow us to become like one entity, creating neuron pathways through information and communication.

I think the part with the alien and bit about Roswell was supposed to show how Lain was becoming more and more detached from reality, as the wired and the real world begin to collide and overlap. The aliens signify her own alienation and how different she perceives the rest of humanity to be. The episode also highlights the question of what reality is. As the Knights are supposedly changing the past through their omnipotent control over the wired, Lain is unsure of what has happened or if indeed, she has lost control of herself and is committing all of these acts whilst in some sort of semi-conscious state. On top of this, Lain is confronted with the concept of 'deleting' the past through the wired, and this challenges the concept of history. In the same way that The Ministry of Truth deleted the past in Nineteen Eighty-Four through modification of past events, Lain is shown that through the wired, it is possible to erase all evidence of something ever existing, and in doing so, effectively 'deleting' something from time and space altogether.

I think much of what is spoken about in SEL can be related to the current situation of the world. The fact that we are constantly being bombarded with information and propaganda means that we start to lose our sense of reality too, although not to the same extent that Lain does. Equally, as it becomes easier to connect with people all over the world, perhaps we are slowly becoming this 'one entity', each human being as one neuron, creating one massive brain through our communicative network...

I've only just finished ep8 though, so my opinions will probably change once I've seen the whole thing. :)
starcorea said:
I think that the documentary was very relevant. The documentary was interesting in that it implied that by creating the internet, we are becoming like one huge network; and by comparing this network to the neurons in our brains, it seems that this network (or the 'Wired') would allow us to become like one entity, creating neuron pathways through information and communication.

I think the part with the alien and bit about Roswell was supposed to show how Lain was becoming more and more detached from reality, as the wired and the real world begin to collide and overlap. The aliens signify her own alienation and how different she perceives the rest of humanity to be. The episode also highlights the question of what reality is. As the Knights are supposedly changing the past through their omnipotent control over the wired, Lain is unsure of what has happened or if indeed, she has lost control of herself and is committing all of these acts whilst in some sort of semi-conscious state. On top of this, Lain is confronted with the concept of 'deleting' the past through the wired, and this challenges the concept of history. In the same way that The Ministry of Truth deleted the past in Nineteen Eighty-Four through modification of past events, Lain is shown that through the wired, it is possible to erase all evidence of something ever existing, and in doing so, effectively 'deleting' something from time and space altogether.

I think much of what is spoken about in SEL can be related to the current situation of the world. The fact that we are constantly being bombarded with information and propaganda means that we start to lose our sense of reality too, although not to the same extent that Lain does. Equally, as it becomes easier to connect with people all over the world, perhaps we are slowly becoming this 'one entity', each human being as one neuron, creating one massive brain through our communicative network...

I've only just finished ep8 though, so my opinions will probably change once I've seen the whole thing. :)

Wow I didn’t get any of that on my first watch.
Feb 24, 2023 12:57 PM
Aug 2021
idk what to say btw im the only one that look from the ep i am i have understood everything about the wired and etc but when someone asks me to explain serial experiments lain in my words... i just cant btw lets all love lain and also lain is better than you<3
Mar 16, 2023 8:23 AM
Mar 2023
wtf is happening dawg
Apr 8, 2023 11:48 PM

Nov 2022
I like how this episode is paced, with alternating trivia and the usual schizophrenia.
Apr 29, 2023 11:05 AM

Nov 2022
I feel like I'm on a bad acid trip but for some reason I can't stop

was the creator trying to say that the internet is created by aliens and crazy us scientists to try and deter japanese youth from using it at the time?

man I'll be watching all the explanation vids after I'm done with the series, this is the wildest anime I've watched so far, not even close
May 17, 2023 10:55 AM

Aug 2022
I'm slowly starting to kind of understand some things.
May 23, 2023 3:45 AM
Feb 2019
taro with the bubblegum kiss lmao
Jun 2, 2023 7:31 AM

May 2013
I laughed my heart when I saw the alien on the first frames of the ep ahah
The show starts to increase its quality exponentially
Jun 14, 2023 7:15 PM

Jun 2016
I think I understand better now. It's just a big neural oscillation manipulation. No wonder the guy went crazy and start shooting in the club. He was just too brainwashed from using the internet. 

Let's see what Lain is going to talk about with this top hacker.
Jun 17, 2023 7:08 PM

May 2023
ayyLmao cover yer bottoms ther be ayys aboot

in all seriousness i love the conspiracy stuff. all conspiracy theories eventually become conspiracy fact as demonstrated time and time again irl.
Jul 22, 2023 1:31 AM

Dec 2009
Original Thoughts:

Thoughts upon Rewatch:
waalex11Jul 25, 2023 12:00 AM
Jul 26, 2023 3:12 AM

Jul 2014
This was made from the mind of an actual schizophrenic person. I cant believe the amount of info that resonates with almost nothing lol
Sep 30, 2023 7:31 PM
Jan 2016
Having just watched the episode tonight (admittingly for probably the 10th time over the years), my take away is not that literally aliens are involved with the Wire's creation but that people believed in the Roswell crash and aliens and so it effectively became real. Not because it really happened but because people believe it did and once that becomes enough in the public conscious, that is all that matters. They are providing an equivalent to what is happening in the show. This further ties into the concepts with Masami Eiri brought up in the next episode.

"What it was has yet to be proven. Conjecture has become fact, and rumor has become history."
Quiddity131Sep 30, 2023 7:38 PM
Oct 20, 2023 1:14 PM

May 2019
history channel conspiracy bs bro

Nov 2, 2023 8:42 PM

Oct 2018
I was able to follow things smoothly enough up until now, but must say this episode is bouncing around like a superball! I'm getting the meaning of it all, but WHOA is this one ever giving you a lot to take in at once compared to a lot of moody and minimalist episodes before this.
Dec 5, 2023 7:09 PM

Feb 2023
This anime makes no sense.
Dec 10, 2023 3:45 AM

Jul 2023
With the reference to MJ-12 and Roswell, I think that if you like the game Deus Ex, you might like this anime.
Jan 17, 2:53 AM

Apr 2016
This anime is absolutely insane I love it so much lmao
Feb 1, 11:29 AM
Oct 2023
i take back everything i said about starting to get whats happening lol. now we got some fucking aliens and its starting to be a documentary? really interesting to say the least. lain also got a smooch how nice
Feb 24, 5:57 PM

Dec 2022
if it came out today this episode would be labeled dangerous information and a threat to security
Mar 19, 11:48 PM
Mar 2024
That had to be the tackiest way they could handle the lore dumping. Still hooked
May 19, 1:15 PM
Feb 2024
SO FASCINATING! It's great!
Jun 9, 6:37 PM
Dec 2023
man they lost me when they started yapping abt some smart people stuff, i just kinda tapped outa reality during that whole documentary part and came back when it got to the stuff my 3 braincells can comprehend. also i want to kidnap that alien that lain saw and keep it as a pet.

( im not gonna try and figure out the stuff i couldnt comprehend because im too busy doing pot)
( police if u see this im not actually doing pot pls dont send me to alligators again)
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Serial Experiments Lain Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

StabbyPWNS - Oct 11, 2008

296 by sailorneptunelvr »»
Yesterday, 1:10 AM

» I'm got a question

mydaddy - Jun 5

24 by 0xJay »»
Jun 12, 10:56 AM

Poll: » Serial Experiments Lain Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nini - Dec 30, 2008

375 by Bunker-Nines »»
Jun 9, 1:42 PM

Poll: » Serial Experiments Lain Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

cureroyale - Jan 27, 2009

124 by Bunker-Nines »»
Jun 9, 1:41 PM

Poll: » Serial Experiments Lain Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

aero - Mar 16, 2009

140 by Bunker-Nines »»
Jun 9, 1:34 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.