Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Jul 29, 2020 3:22 AM

Feb 2020
Everything hints more and more at Lain having a personality disorder. In the real world, she seems to be alternating between her shy and awkward self and her more confident, extrovert self, while at the same time remaining herself.
However, when in the Wired she's like a completely different person. Those two versions of her barely have anything in common. (Exactly like how the "Other Lain" was described as the opposite of the Lain we know.)
But what's truly interesting is that when the old man mentionned how powerful she is, the way she said that "I... I'm not..." really sounded like regular Lain. It seems to confirm that regular Lain isn't truly conscious of what she's doing as Wired Lain, and the man mentioning how unusual she is seemed to slightly awaken this side of her, as if her consciousness started questioning the situation for a second.

Wired Lain also seems to be like some kind of God. She appears on screens, appears to people who murdered someone in the Wired, now appears in the sky and seems to be praised by some people.. Not to mention how she's apparently seeking for justice.
And last episode, Lain's father told her that while there is no actual God in the real world, there could be one in the Wired.
What's also intriguing is that Wired Lain's apparitions in the real world occured twice when regular Lain was around, which means that at least by two times, regular Lain and Wired Lain existed as separate entities.
Could it be that Wired Lain became so powerful she's become capable of sometimes detaching herself from regular Lain, through the Wired ?
There's also an important question : it is clear that regular Lain isn't conscious of Wired Lain's existence, but is Wired Lain conscious of regular Lain's ?

Aside from that, there also seems to be a lot going on. First of all, Lain's sister is apparently brain-dead. It's as if what happened last episode killed her... Or maybe her spirit has been sucked into the Wired ?

There's also the whole thing surrounding this old man. He apparently has been doing experiments on children... But I didn't really get what the "Psi" is supposed to be. It seems important though, considering how those experiments most likely are what the show's title is referring to.
Maybe Lain herself is a victim of them ?

And finally, there is the Knights and those weird men in black. Now we finally more or less know what the latter are doing : they're most likely trying to prevent Lain from getting killed by the Knights, probably because of how powerful and important she is.
But the Knights are supposed to be the people Lain is talking to in the Wired, thinking of them as friends. (At least regular Lain does think of them as such.) They're probably using regular Lain's naivety in a way to obtain her power, or something like that (given the show's themes, it might adress something about the dangerosity of talking to strangers on on the Internet). The "Cheshire Cat" guy clearly is one of them. But that would mean Wired Lain is also quite naive.

I hope I'll get my answers by the end of the show !
Sep 7, 2020 12:07 AM

Jul 2016
Kinda unrelated to this but man, Lain sure looked good with those new clothes and makeup.

As for Mika, it seems previous episode's incident really affected her. She now looks as hollow and lost as her mother.

Rather interesting episode this one was. The already weird events happening around the city are getting more bizarre now and we also got introduced to a new aspect of the plot related to the study of parapsychology.
To sum up, Lain has become probably the most known person/user in the Wired and it seems she has been interacting with Knights for quite some time already. She has been acting quite friendly with them but after seeing herself up in the sky like some sort of deity and coming across this experiment based on gathering kids' PSY for unknown purposes, she has started feeling quite distrustful of their intentions. There was also an explosive in her room so that might mean Lain is getting into things she shouldn't but I really wonder if Knights were actually the ones who made her room explode... well, at least we now know that the Men in Black aren't related to that faction.

Anyways, guess these following episodes will center around Lain going against whatever plans Knights have regarding the use of this KIDS system. Uhm... wonder if they are trying to make Lain become some sort of God and make her merge both "reality" and the Wired.
SouthRzVaSep 7, 2020 12:15 AM
Sep 29, 2020 2:36 PM
Aug 2020
i hope that everything will be explained in the end, cuz i'm really trying to follow up with the story but my mind says No. lol
Sep 29, 2020 2:40 PM
Aug 2020
Fafette said:
Everything hints more and more at Lain having a personality disorder. In the real world, she seems to be alternating between her shy and awkward self and her more confident, extrovert self, while at the same time remaining herself.
However, when in the Wired she's like a completely different person. Those two versions of her barely have anything in common. (Exactly like how the "Other Lain" was described as the opposite of the Lain we know.)
But what's truly interesting is that when the old man mentionned how powerful she is, the way she said that "I... I'm not..." really sounded like regular Lain. It seems to confirm that regular Lain isn't truly conscious of what she's doing as Wired Lain, and the man mentioning how unusual she is seemed to slightly awaken this side of her, as if her consciousness started questioning the situation for a second.

Wired Lain also seems to be like some kind of God. She appears on screens, appears to people who murdered someone in the Wired, now appears in the sky and seems to be praised by some people.. Not to mention how she's apparently seeking for justice.
And last episode, Lain's father told her that while there is no actual God in the real world, there could be one in the Wired.
What's also intriguing is that Wired Lain's apparitions in the real world occured twice when regular Lain was around, which means that at least by two times, regular Lain and Wired Lain existed as separate entities.
Could it be that Wired Lain became so powerful she's become capable of sometimes detaching herself from regular Lain, through the Wired ?
There's also an important question : it is clear that regular Lain isn't conscious of Wired Lain's existence, but is Wired Lain conscious of regular Lain's ?

Aside from that, there also seems to be a lot going on. First of all, Lain's sister is apparently brain-dead. It's as if what happened last episode killed her... Or maybe her spirit has been sucked into the Wired ?

There's also the whole thing surrounding this old man. He apparently has been doing experiments on children... But I didn't really get what the "Psi" is supposed to be. It seems important though, considering how those experiments most likely are what the show's title is referring to.

And finally, there is the Knights and those weird men in black. Now we finally more or less know what the latter are doing : they're most likely trying to prevent Lain from getting killed by the Knights, probably because of how powerful and important she is.
But the Knights are supposed to be the people Lain is talking to in the Wired, thinking of them as friends. (At least regular Lain does think of them as such.) They're probably using regular Lain's naivety in a way to obtain her power, or something like that (given the show's themes, it might adress something about the dangerosity of talking to strangers on on the Internet). The "Cheshire Cat" guy clearly is one of them. But that would mean Wired Lain is also quite naive.

I love this !!! i was wondering the same thing too!
Nov 8, 2020 2:23 PM
Jun 2020
Jesus, she has a whole ass lair
Dec 4, 2020 9:39 AM

Feb 2019
Knights are the bad guys

Cute Lain is back.
Based Certified.
I love anime armpits.
Dec 19, 2020 11:48 PM

Jan 2019
in the beginning, how the fuck did this bitch of a father let his daughter build all this shit. He had to know, how else would she buy everything and be quiet about it at the same time. He should've been much more worried since the beginning
Jan 9, 2021 8:58 AM

Aug 2018
Its still very confusing at certain parts but it definitely has something to do with personality disorder and supernatural events taht can't be explained.

Interesting episode
Mar 6, 2021 3:31 PM

Aug 2019
Hilarious how surprised her father is at her entire setup, with all the deliveries and noise it probably took to get everything in place.

"...fatih, hope, and love. But the greatest of these is love."

"I began to trust the world [...] to give unforeseen goods and pleasures that I had not thought to want."

Jul 14, 2021 4:25 PM
Oct 2020
Praise the Sun!!!
Please Read Chainsaw Man
Aug 1, 2021 11:54 PM

Aug 2018
ah, Im starting to get it a bit more. So, the knights are evil... and Lain used to be friends with them and now they are enemies? something like that I think...

Oct 10, 2021 2:09 AM

Aug 2020
Electricity bill go brrrr.

Fafette said:

Thanks for this.

DO NOT Cʟɪᴄᴋ Tʜᴇ Lɪɴᴋ Bᴇʟᴏᴡ:
👉 ʜᴛᴘs://ᴍʏᴀɴɪᴍᴇʟɪsᴛ.ɴᴇᴛ/ᴅᴏ-ɴᴏᴛ-ᴄʟɪᴄᴋ-ᴛʜɪᴤ-ʟɪɴᴋ 👈

Oct 29, 2021 6:56 AM

Apr 2021
Great episode! The thing I’m most confused about are the Knights’ goals and the concept of a God inside the Wired. I still can’t wrap my head around the conversations Lain had with the holograms of her parents (their souls? Wired personalities?) in a previous episode, where they talked about one’s “self” or “soul” and “God”. (The way they said that the body is just proof of one’s existence is really interesting, it’s like Stoicism with a dark twist of being able to “give up” one’s body.) God is just a concept, but he could be “real” in the Wired. Apparently the existence of a Wired-God makes the lines between the Wired and reality blur because everything that happens in reality happens through the forming of a prophecy and a prophecy of that Wired-God is “being fulfilled” in the real world? Or is it in the Wired? What even is the meaning of “prophecy”? Is it something like fate?? It’s great that even the viewers can’t distinguish between the reality and the Wired anymore lol. The Knights strike me as some sort of organisation similar to SEELE in NGE, honestly. They’re trying to harness some sort of psychic powers from children, which previously failed and sucked out the children’s whole consciences out instead, leaving only their bodies behind. Are they trying to convert them to the Wired by doing that? Maybe they are trying to “make” a God and make everyone believe in him by handing out messages about prophecies and stuff like that. That giant Lain in the sky also struck me as a kind of God figure, although the doctor said she is “blessed” whatever that means. I don’t really know what makes Lain powerful, but she can apparently navigate the Wired freely. So maybe the Knights are trying to use her as some kind of holy figure? I really don’t know, but I am intrigued. These are all just my current thoughts on this and every episode changes the way I view the show and the messages it conveys.
☆彡 ★彡 ★彡 ☆彡
Oct 29, 2021 7:06 AM

Apr 2021
Fafette said:

I read your comment after writing mine and some of our ideas seem to be similar. The concept of Lain having a personality disorder (maybe as a result of her using the Wired) is really interesting. I googled parapsychology and I think that maybe the Knights want to harness actual psychic powers from children (parapsychology is research on telepathy, telekinesis etc.). Maybe they hope that they can fully connect the Wired to reality in thay way, making themselves powerful enough to manipulate reality from the Wired. I also think they want to use Lain in some way which becomes easier if she doesn’t have a physical form anymore and is only an existence in the Wired (by killing her, her soul could remain in the Wired, like Chisa’s). It’s weird how those grade schoolers are worshipping her, though. I’m still really confused by this too.
☆彡 ★彡 ★彡 ☆彡
Jan 12, 2022 9:05 AM
Nov 2020
can’t wait to watch a video explaining what the heck is going on in these episodes
Jan 16, 2022 8:35 AM
Aug 2021
Hmmm that scene with Lain appearing in tbe sky makes her look like a God but then the scientisy suggests that she's "blessed by the God"(of Wired). Hopefully the identity of those men in black suits will be revealed in the next episode. Tf happened to Lain's sis.

Seeing all that machinery in Lain's room makes me wonder the staggering amount of electricity bill they'd have to payXD(but her whole system's been destroyed now)
Feb 5, 2022 9:03 PM

Jan 2022
Man, this is getting bonkers. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little lost, but I'm intrigued to see where this is all going.
Mar 17, 2022 6:59 AM

Jan 2021
damn so you're telling me someone is trying to sabotage lain?? and I thought those guys are the knights..
Everything just got more interesting
Mar 22, 2022 5:26 AM

Jan 2022
honestly whats up with this family? Like, how often do they go in Lain's room for them to not notice all that till its too late ?? The sister seemed to be the only competent one but she's more like a corpse now, and the mother and father just seem absent from her life for the most part

I still don't fully understand, but like someone else said she could have a personality disorder? Like, the way her personality drastically changes and when people told her about the more confident seeming one she didn't seem to know what they were talking about. Atleast that seems to be the only realistic explanation, but this anime isn't too realistic so far is it lmao
Mar 29, 2022 10:26 AM

Feb 2021
Even after watching 6 episodes, I don't get it much
Jul 26, 2022 8:34 AM

Aug 2021
Is the giant Lain in the cloud possessed by Knights? I hope there will be more explained later about KIDS as well as professor Hodgeson in later episodes
Aug 14, 2022 12:54 PM

Jun 2020
I cant wait to watch the rest but yeah it is amazing!
Aug 21, 2022 12:34 PM

Aug 2013
as others have said, there's a really strong sense of "where are the parents" here. it reminds me a bit of the novel The Fifth Child. that novel raises the question of nature versus nurture, of "would this child have turned out healthier if their parents hadn't treated them like they were bad? or were they bad to begin with and the parents were responding to that?"

i really do wonder if Lain would've turned out the way she did if her parents weren't emotionally neglectful. it seems like this lack of familial bonding even extended to the relationship between her and her sister. i remember a shot from an earlier episode (episode 4 or 5 maybe?) where Lain's sister is trying to talk to her from across the table, and the shot keeps getting obstructed by their parents' hands passing each other things. Their parents created a real barrier between them. the parents seem to communicate with each other to some extent, but not to their children. Lain's dad only really talks to her when he gets to talk about computer stuff. the family dynamic at play here is really sad.
Sep 7, 2022 8:20 PM

Oct 2019
SquishyPies said:
as others have said, there's a really strong sense of "where are the parents" here. it reminds me a bit of the novel The Fifth Child. that novel raises the question of nature versus nurture, of "would this child have turned out healthier if their parents hadn't treated them like they were bad? or were they bad to begin with and the parents were responding to that?"

i really do wonder if Lain would've turned out the way she did if her parents weren't emotionally neglectful. it seems like this lack of familial bonding even extended to the relationship between her and her sister. i remember a shot from an earlier episode (episode 4 or 5 maybe?) where Lain's sister is trying to talk to her from across the table, and the shot keeps getting obstructed by their parents' hands passing each other things. Their parents created a real barrier between them. the parents seem to communicate with each other to some extent, but not to their children. Lain's dad only really talks to her when he gets to talk about computer stuff. the family dynamic at play here is really sad.

I agree with you. Seeing the prior ep of ppl mentioning them neglecting lain makes me think that she sought attention online where people would appreciate her more. Aside from her father showing interest in her with computers, he rarely interacts with her. From my understanding, she is left unsupervised and is given reign to keep upgrading stuff. Thats the other thing, that one episode, she received something in her locker that was like a processor or psyche thing. Im wondering if the knights have been scoping her out and supplying her with more gadgets.
"Perfection is perception. For me, humanity's imperfections is what makes it perfect"

Sep 24, 2022 6:24 PM
Jul 2022
great episode. the final can confirm my theory about those guys (was incorrect)
Sep 28, 2022 11:46 AM
May 2021
huh... what was this all kids thing about...? I'm a little lost
Nov 9, 2022 2:28 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
This whole "KIDS" thing better not become a subplot in a 13-episode anime where we barely have a grasp on the main plot. I do see it tying in with everything else though, and not just being a Lain saving-the-kids-type of side mission. At least here we have Lain finally directly confronting the men in suits and lasers who have watching her all this time. Although they leave without much information other than her water-cooling system is busted because the true "Knights" have tampered with it. Well at least she put in the effort to probably cool her room-sized server with something other than fans lol

NYANPASU
5700XT

Jan 3, 2023 4:39 PM
Oct 2015
They answered some questions, but opened new ones too. I'm liking the way this is going.
Jan 4, 2023 7:14 AM
Jul 2022
I feel like these mini-reviews are becoming some log of my decent into madness at the series, trying to understand it with every revelation, but just falling short and blaming it on lack of information. I'll keep watching it for commitments sake, and guarantee, like before, the ending will escape me, even during a second viewing of the series. Other than that, the show is interesting I would say. The psycho kinetic talk and speech on child experiments kind of threw me off, as that feels quite separate from the series relative grounding up until now, not in a highly distracting way however. I feel as though the Wired is slowly bleeding into the real world. What that means for the real world I don't know, as the Wired has never been fully clear to me, but incredibly ambiguous. I don't know how the Psiche works too. I wonder if Lain and other users are jacked in sort of, or what exactly happens? This is also the one episode where we now really see how much Lain let's go in the Wired, as she's more expressive and animated, even if slightly. I don't know if we as viewers are to assume that that is what life is like for all people in the Wired, because I read a previous users point of discussion on episode 5. They theorize that Lain's sister is trapped in the Wired. With this theory, and previous episodes 3 and 4 if I'm not mistaken, and what we saw for Lain in the episodes beginning, I wonder what the Wired really is. A hell-scape where people loose their minds? Or what Lain creates it to be. Maybe this means she will become the Deus, and as I speculated in my mini review on episode 05, maybe she will be the bridge between the worlds of the Wired and the real world. We'll see.
Jan 11, 2023 10:05 AM

Mar 2010
Lots of emotions from lain in one episode, Seeing her pissed off was hawt asf no chomo but I lowkey wanted to smack her accross the face. Seeing her lose her shit was great but it didn't last long and her dumbfounded look was great but I felt a bit uncomfy lolz

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Jan 13, 2023 6:38 AM

Aug 2019
another mistake in the finnish subs :D but who are these laser eyes? :3
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 24, 2023 10:57 AM
Jan 2023
The Knights are an interesting player in the plot so far, and I'm really starting to almost villainize them after this episode. With the introduction of the KIDS project and some vocal lines from the two men in black, it seems like the Knights aren't a good hacking group like I initially thought. It seems like they're almost trying to impede Lain from her "prophecy" or whatever goal she's trying to reach.

Seeing Mika in that catatonic state while her mom tells about how Lain and Mika effectively switched personalities was really kinda sad and disturbing. Mika probably was worried for her sister and delved too deep into the Wired and learned a little too much as a result. Lain's friend (I can't remember her name) seeing Lain up in the sky as the kids are praising her feels like a big moment too.

Just how big has Lain gotten in the Wired? Where's she trying to go, what's she trying to do? Seeing her "wild side" or at least a side of her that's more confident has been shocking and a little refreshing. Can't wait to see more.
Mar 15, 2023 2:37 PM
Dec 2022
the power bill of the Iwakura household must be astronomical
Mar 30, 2023 9:04 AM

Nov 2022
Well, finally, the pacing became more fluid and I kinda get a grasp of the plot now

I am excited about the unraveling of the plot in the following episodes and the vicissitudes which caused it
May 14, 2023 9:49 AM
May 2022
okay, i get it i guess
May 15, 2023 12:45 PM

Aug 2022
Lain must be connected to the KIDS somehow.
May 24, 2023 7:44 PM

Jun 2016
Yeah Lain is the top tier hacker in the country. 

It looks like what that old man made (KIDS) is making the brats put their hand into the sky.  

and Lain's sis is long gone,her WIRED body took over her normal self. 
Jun 1, 2023 11:55 AM

May 2013
How can Lain obtain the pieces to build her NAVI? It's enormous lol
Interesting episode, the thing that creeped me out the most was Mika's total apathy, her lost face like she was... dead inside?

But now I'm asking: but all the ACCELA and the PHANTOMa things presented on the previouses episodes? What does they mean? 
Jun 16, 2023 10:32 PM

May 2023
Mika on couch = b00ba :D
Lain on Wired = Prophecy
P}resent Day, P{resent Time
Jun 22, 2023 4:21 PM
May 2018
I could accept Lain appearing on screens but if she's appearing in the sky then doesn't that mean that the reality we're seeing is actually part of Wired? I feel like the plot twist at the end will be that Lain is already dead and has been uploaded or that she never was a real person.
Jun 23, 2023 10:17 PM
Jun 2023
looking more and more like darren aronofsky's pi.
Jul 22, 2023 12:11 AM

Dec 2009
Original Thoughts:

Thoughts upon Rewatch: 
waalex11Jul 24, 2023 10:38 PM
Jan 8, 3:07 PM
Mar 2018
This Episode felt so tonally dissonant honestly. It went down this mystery/Detective protagonist route that feels even more disjointed than the usual twists on lain's persona. I'm obviously gonna keep watching but this one really feels like a shift from how trippy Episode 5 was.
Mar 19, 10:43 PM
Mar 2024
It's hard not to draw parallels to current struggles we're having with technology and real life becoming blurred, but I'll have remind myself not to project my own desires onto media and let it speak for itself. I am very, very interested in seeing the direction of the plot and what possible commentary it may offer.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Serial Experiments Lain Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

StabbyPWNS - Oct 11, 2008

296 by sailorneptunelvr »»
Yesterday, 1:10 AM

» I'm got a question

mydaddy - Jun 5

24 by 0xJay »»
Jun 12, 10:56 AM

Poll: » Serial Experiments Lain Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

aero - Mar 16, 2009

175 by Ch0coPudding »»
Jun 9, 6:37 PM

Poll: » Serial Experiments Lain Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nini - Dec 30, 2008

375 by Bunker-Nines »»
Jun 9, 1:42 PM

Poll: » Serial Experiments Lain Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

cureroyale - Jan 27, 2009

124 by Bunker-Nines »»
Jun 9, 1:41 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.