Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Oct 27, 2023 9:23 AM
Dec 2019
KABOCHACONSOMME said:
@traed It's almost like Lain is a work of art and not a textbook.

it's almost like this entire thread is talking about its intellectual ideas and not its aesthetics.

edit: though I think we're in agreement that SEL isn't a particularly deep portrayal of anything.
RecynonOct 27, 2023 10:13 AM
Oct 27, 2023 10:34 AM

Apr 2021
If the vast majority of fans had to rewatch or read multiple discussions online, which explained things more coherently, then the anime is either a failure, of you're full of shit.
Oct 28, 2023 1:29 AM

Jan 2020
I'm one of those who don't appreciate SEL. Could not get myself to watch past episode 4 and I wouldn't put myself through that torture again. I don't understand the creative choices or the direction as it almost feels like you're watching different clips that are completely unrelated.
I sometimes forget to finish my sentences.
Oct 29, 2023 6:00 AM

Feb 2014
Lain is about the protagonist losing her sense of self in the ocean of (mis)information on the Wired (aka the internet). To put the viewer into the shoes of the heroine, the presentation of the anime is deliberately obtuse. This is also what makes it avant-garde, instead of trying to convey information clearly to the audience it's deliberately confusing, and the confusion the viewer experiences makes them understand the position the heroine is in.
Nov 1, 2023 4:42 PM
Dec 2019
@traed

"How so? It had people literally dying because of their obsession with it"

If you're talking about the people who couldn't tell the difference between PhantomA and real life, it's never well explained how technology could cause them to hallucinate so badly, especially since they don't seem to be using virtual reality technology.

More broadly speaking, the Wired is never clearly defined. How is it that people are manifesting inside the Wired without using VR tech? Why do people believe dying will allow them to be uploaded into the Wired? How can music wipe people's memories? The show simply asserts ways in which reality and technology merge but the only explanation given for this is that code is inserted in the IPv7 that resonates at the earth's frequency. If the show doesn't clearly define the technology and just makes technology do whatever the writers want, then I can't see how this shows man's relationship with technology very well.

"and it did show it can be used as a tool to communicate with people anywhere and give you access to information at the tip of your fingers."

Yes, that's what the internet is by definition. Any story having the internet would necessarily show this.

"And? Pointing out the problems of that isnt meaningless. Though i wasnt talking about journalism only but like how that one version of Lain spread rumors about Alice for example."

You said "Only people that don't understand it would say it's shallow" but I find this idea rather superficial. School rumors like that of Alice spread regardless of technology, through word of mouth. And that's fine, because you can show the specific way in which this behavior interacts with the web. However, the way that they implemented this is by having a evil manifestation of Lain, that's somehow formed from internet urban legends, physically appear in the real world. That's just not how technology works. In a literal sense at least. If the point was to show how people use technology to deceive each other and how this drives them apart, it's a very convoluted way of doing so. The impact of the point as a prescriptive warning to people regarding their tech use in real life is dulled as a result.

In general it's never even explained how the rumors of Lain/God of the Wired even emerge or what these rumors even entail. Now, we do see a brief scene of Lain staring at her screen and absorbing news, gossip, and blackmail. And Lain asks people on the internet about things like the Knights, PhantomA, and KIDS. From this I don't see how SEL depicts technology bringing people together, but there are reasonable depictions of all the loose information out there on the internet. However, the vast majority of SEL is committed to showing how reality is blurring with the Wired.

"I never said it was dissociative identity disorder necessarily. It is more likely along the lines of online personas, different aspects of the psyche (possibly ego, id, superego) and creations of rumours and peoples subjective interpretations. This seems to be what you didnt get how a big theme in the show is about how information influences reality and it also shown in the game too so it is definitely the case. People can act online in ways they wouldnt in person since sometimes they use it as an outlet. You also have to keep in mind it is implied Lain possibly isnt even human to begin with which is shown in dialogue with her dad late in the series so you dont have to assume she has to closely match existing mental illnesses it could be a bug in program or multiple versions of her exist trained on different data."

Lain DOES change her personality to being more assertive as she gets more addicted to the Wired, and she's shown more comfortable and extraverted talking to people online than she does in real life. That's all reasonable and good commentary on how people's identities are affected by the internet. However, SEL also makes leaps here that somewhat negates its insight. As I've already mentioned, the origin of the Lain rumors is not explained and neither is the coalescing of these digital rumors into personalities. Then, when you simply have Lain's personality be overwritten by Lain of the Wired when she's online, or when she encounters evil Lain, I don't see how this provides effective commentary on how people's identities are affected by the internet. Sure, there are different perceptions of people on the internet, but this doesn't cause an identity crisis that's related to different parts of the psyche by itself, the same way a politician or celebrity wouldn't have an identity crisis just because the tabloids sell a version of their persona. An identity crisis might be more relevant if the person actively creates different online personas but that's not what Lain does. Those other versions of Lain are just straight up different people that aren't part of her psyche. By setting up this convoluted backstory for Lain, SEL divorces her case from real people and this muddies its commentary on technology and identity.

"As i already said technology can act as a distraction or it can enhance communication as well as distort it. For example communication with text alone you lose information from body language and facial expressions. You could have a bunch of people right next to eachother but not communicating with eachother from only looking at their phones which makes sense for strangers but this happens with friends and romantic partners too."

SEL seems to overwhelmingly represent technology in a negative light. But even besides that, as I said above, it has a muddy depiction of technology, so without clarity into things like how the Wired works I can't pull much from its depiction of how it can distort or enhance communication.

"It had a lot of ideas going at once too many to express in full depth explicitly but you do see these things just it isnt obvious at first glance."

Yeah, so if it has a bunch of ideas that it lightly touches on, with tenuous connections between them, then it's as wide as an ocean, deep as a puddle.

"Youre taking things too literally but like I said it covers repeatedly how information is what creates subjective reality and that information is spread influencing people's thoughts and actions. When people are connected to eachother on a global scale it means people dont only act only as individuals but begin thinking like a massive hive mind and there has been real research into this these days i recall hearing about. Not sure if i can find the papers on it at the moment. Anyway like in the show it is thought this is like an evolution of mankind."

In general, the point of information creating a subjective reality that influences people is obvious. If I lie to someone and they believe it, then they operate on that lie. This is akin to saying the sky is blue. Even so, with regards to this point, SEL devotes only brief scenes of Lain staring at her screen absorbing news, the Knights influencing people to commit suicide, and I guess you could also count the Alice rumors. Other than that, the focus of the show is showing how the Wired is merging with reality in a literal way. Code literally affects reality. You can erase people's memories. With respect to the articulation of the impact of technology, naturally a show has to be clear about what that technology does and it has to be plausible. Otherwise, sure, you can interpret everything SEL does metaphorically, but all you're left with a general statement like information influences people's subjective reality. For instance, your point about people behaving like a massive hive mind due to global connection is not supported in the show itself.
RecynonNov 1, 2023 4:51 PM
Nov 11, 2023 7:22 AM

Feb 2014
Reply to Recynon
@traed

"How so? It had people literally dying because of their obsession with it"

If you're talking about the people who couldn't tell the difference between PhantomA and real life, it's never well explained how technology could cause them to hallucinate so badly, especially since they don't seem to be using virtual reality technology.

More broadly speaking, the Wired is never clearly defined. How is it that people are manifesting inside the Wired without using VR tech? Why do people believe dying will allow them to be uploaded into the Wired? How can music wipe people's memories? The show simply asserts ways in which reality and technology merge but the only explanation given for this is that code is inserted in the IPv7 that resonates at the earth's frequency. If the show doesn't clearly define the technology and just makes technology do whatever the writers want, then I can't see how this shows man's relationship with technology very well.

"and it did show it can be used as a tool to communicate with people anywhere and give you access to information at the tip of your fingers."

Yes, that's what the internet is by definition. Any story having the internet would necessarily show this.

"And? Pointing out the problems of that isnt meaningless. Though i wasnt talking about journalism only but like how that one version of Lain spread rumors about Alice for example."

You said "Only people that don't understand it would say it's shallow" but I find this idea rather superficial. School rumors like that of Alice spread regardless of technology, through word of mouth. And that's fine, because you can show the specific way in which this behavior interacts with the web. However, the way that they implemented this is by having a evil manifestation of Lain, that's somehow formed from internet urban legends, physically appear in the real world. That's just not how technology works. In a literal sense at least. If the point was to show how people use technology to deceive each other and how this drives them apart, it's a very convoluted way of doing so. The impact of the point as a prescriptive warning to people regarding their tech use in real life is dulled as a result.

In general it's never even explained how the rumors of Lain/God of the Wired even emerge or what these rumors even entail. Now, we do see a brief scene of Lain staring at her screen and absorbing news, gossip, and blackmail. And Lain asks people on the internet about things like the Knights, PhantomA, and KIDS. From this I don't see how SEL depicts technology bringing people together, but there are reasonable depictions of all the loose information out there on the internet. However, the vast majority of SEL is committed to showing how reality is blurring with the Wired.

"I never said it was dissociative identity disorder necessarily. It is more likely along the lines of online personas, different aspects of the psyche (possibly ego, id, superego) and creations of rumours and peoples subjective interpretations. This seems to be what you didnt get how a big theme in the show is about how information influences reality and it also shown in the game too so it is definitely the case. People can act online in ways they wouldnt in person since sometimes they use it as an outlet. You also have to keep in mind it is implied Lain possibly isnt even human to begin with which is shown in dialogue with her dad late in the series so you dont have to assume she has to closely match existing mental illnesses it could be a bug in program or multiple versions of her exist trained on different data."

Lain DOES change her personality to being more assertive as she gets more addicted to the Wired, and she's shown more comfortable and extraverted talking to people online than she does in real life. That's all reasonable and good commentary on how people's identities are affected by the internet. However, SEL also makes leaps here that somewhat negates its insight. As I've already mentioned, the origin of the Lain rumors is not explained and neither is the coalescing of these digital rumors into personalities. Then, when you simply have Lain's personality be overwritten by Lain of the Wired when she's online, or when she encounters evil Lain, I don't see how this provides effective commentary on how people's identities are affected by the internet. Sure, there are different perceptions of people on the internet, but this doesn't cause an identity crisis that's related to different parts of the psyche by itself, the same way a politician or celebrity wouldn't have an identity crisis just because the tabloids sell a version of their persona. An identity crisis might be more relevant if the person actively creates different online personas but that's not what Lain does. Those other versions of Lain are just straight up different people that aren't part of her psyche. By setting up this convoluted backstory for Lain, SEL divorces her case from real people and this muddies its commentary on technology and identity.

"As i already said technology can act as a distraction or it can enhance communication as well as distort it. For example communication with text alone you lose information from body language and facial expressions. You could have a bunch of people right next to eachother but not communicating with eachother from only looking at their phones which makes sense for strangers but this happens with friends and romantic partners too."

SEL seems to overwhelmingly represent technology in a negative light. But even besides that, as I said above, it has a muddy depiction of technology, so without clarity into things like how the Wired works I can't pull much from its depiction of how it can distort or enhance communication.

"It had a lot of ideas going at once too many to express in full depth explicitly but you do see these things just it isnt obvious at first glance."

Yeah, so if it has a bunch of ideas that it lightly touches on, with tenuous connections between them, then it's as wide as an ocean, deep as a puddle.

"Youre taking things too literally but like I said it covers repeatedly how information is what creates subjective reality and that information is spread influencing people's thoughts and actions. When people are connected to eachother on a global scale it means people dont only act only as individuals but begin thinking like a massive hive mind and there has been real research into this these days i recall hearing about. Not sure if i can find the papers on it at the moment. Anyway like in the show it is thought this is like an evolution of mankind."

In general, the point of information creating a subjective reality that influences people is obvious. If I lie to someone and they believe it, then they operate on that lie. This is akin to saying the sky is blue. Even so, with regards to this point, SEL devotes only brief scenes of Lain staring at her screen absorbing news, the Knights influencing people to commit suicide, and I guess you could also count the Alice rumors. Other than that, the focus of the show is showing how the Wired is merging with reality in a literal way. Code literally affects reality. You can erase people's memories. With respect to the articulation of the impact of technology, naturally a show has to be clear about what that technology does and it has to be plausible. Otherwise, sure, you can interpret everything SEL does metaphorically, but all you're left with a general statement like information influences people's subjective reality. For instance, your point about people behaving like a massive hive mind due to global connection is not supported in the show itself.
@Recynon
"If you're talking about the people who couldn't tell the difference between PhantomA and real life, it's never well explained how technology could cause them to hallucinate so badly, especially since they don't seem to be using virtual reality technology."
It's explained enough. KIDS exists. Wired exists. Knights use KIDS in combination with Wired to hack people's mind without the need of hardware.
Why is there no VR helmets or smth like that? Because the separating line between real world and Wired being unclear is a major component of the anime and VR helmets make it very clear. In episode 11, the anime has reached a point where it wants to make it clear that Lain is completely indulged in the Wired and thus they show her connected to a bunch of wires to unambiguously communicate this to the viewer.

"More broadly speaking, the Wired is never clearly defined. How is it that people are manifesting inside the Wired without using VR tech? Why do people believe dying will allow them to be uploaded into the Wired? How can music wipe people's memories? The show simply asserts ways in which reality and technology merge but the only explanation given for this is that code is inserted in the IPv7 that resonates at the earth's frequency. If the show doesn't clearly define the technology and just makes technology do whatever the writers want, then I can't see how this shows man's relationship with technology very well."
No, it doesn't matter. Just like it doesn't matter how the cyberbrains in GitS are made, or the psychic stuff in Akira, or the replicants in Blade Runner.
The Wired functions like the internet, so lets see how people respond to this. That's all that matters. The techno babble is just aesthetic to make it more entertaining.

"Yeah, so if it has a bunch of ideas that it lightly touches on, with tenuous connections between them, then it's as wide as an ocean, deep as a puddle."
There is no other anime that explores the relationship between people and the internet as in-depth as SEL. It shows step by step how Lain becomes immersed and dependent on the Wired. The addition of supernatural elements doesn't negate this, if anything it strengthens it through exaggeration. Her literally becoming god of the Wired is a creative way to show how far removed from reality yet proficient at manuevering in the Wired she ends up becoming.
Nov 11, 2023 9:50 AM
Dec 2019
Reply to MizunoWaveRider
@Recynon
"If you're talking about the people who couldn't tell the difference between PhantomA and real life, it's never well explained how technology could cause them to hallucinate so badly, especially since they don't seem to be using virtual reality technology."
It's explained enough. KIDS exists. Wired exists. Knights use KIDS in combination with Wired to hack people's mind without the need of hardware.
Why is there no VR helmets or smth like that? Because the separating line between real world and Wired being unclear is a major component of the anime and VR helmets make it very clear. In episode 11, the anime has reached a point where it wants to make it clear that Lain is completely indulged in the Wired and thus they show her connected to a bunch of wires to unambiguously communicate this to the viewer.

"More broadly speaking, the Wired is never clearly defined. How is it that people are manifesting inside the Wired without using VR tech? Why do people believe dying will allow them to be uploaded into the Wired? How can music wipe people's memories? The show simply asserts ways in which reality and technology merge but the only explanation given for this is that code is inserted in the IPv7 that resonates at the earth's frequency. If the show doesn't clearly define the technology and just makes technology do whatever the writers want, then I can't see how this shows man's relationship with technology very well."
No, it doesn't matter. Just like it doesn't matter how the cyberbrains in GitS are made, or the psychic stuff in Akira, or the replicants in Blade Runner.
The Wired functions like the internet, so lets see how people respond to this. That's all that matters. The techno babble is just aesthetic to make it more entertaining.

"Yeah, so if it has a bunch of ideas that it lightly touches on, with tenuous connections between them, then it's as wide as an ocean, deep as a puddle."
There is no other anime that explores the relationship between people and the internet as in-depth as SEL. It shows step by step how Lain becomes immersed and dependent on the Wired. The addition of supernatural elements doesn't negate this, if anything it strengthens it through exaggeration. Her literally becoming god of the Wired is a creative way to show how far removed from reality yet proficient at manuevering in the Wired she ends up becoming.
@MizunoWaveRider

"It's explained enough. KIDS exists. Wired exists. Knights use KIDS in combination with Wired to hack people's mind without the need of hardware."

KIDS harvests psi, which is described as "good intuition", enough to physically bend a spoon. So it's telekinetic energy. How does telekinetic energy translate to telepathic energy? Furthermore, it's only explained that they're able to store the energy. They'd have to build a machine capable of using that energy to reach specific people over long distances to hack their minds so hardware would still be needed.

"Why is there no VR helmets or smth like that? Because the separating line between real world and Wired being unclear is a major component of the anime and VR helmets make it very clear. In episode 11, the anime has reached a point where it wants to make it clear that Lain is completely indulged in the Wired and thus they show her connected to a bunch of wires to unambiguously communicate this to the viewer."

That's the whole point of good scifi exploration: to show concrete ways in which technology affects us. The whole point of the show is that the Wired is blending into reality and people keep saying how prophetic this is but the anime never justifies this point. Like I said, it's correct in a metaphorical way but you can't attribute depth/insight/relevance to it because the way it shows this happening is completely divorced from reality and thus doesn't portray the nuances of how technology affects us. Lain being connected to a bunch of wires is also just a broad symbolic point. But for example, we're not literally connected to a bunch of wires and yet we're still deeply immersed in technology in various different ways. Lain becomes immersed in the internet because she finds out her life was fake, but not as a natural consequence of simply browsing the web. The broad point that the line between the real world and the virtual world is blurring can be illustrated using clearly defined concepts and THAT is what brings depth to the idea.

"No, it doesn't matter. Just like it doesn't matter how the cyberbrains in GitS are made, or the psychic stuff in Akira, or the replicants in Blade Runner.
The Wired functions like the internet, so lets see how people respond to this. That's all that matters. The techno babble is just aesthetic to make it more entertaining."

I haven't see Akira, but I'd say that while all scifi takes some leaps, there's a big difference between cyberbrains/replicants and changing the fabric of reality itself. Cyberbrains/replicants much closer to being at least plausible and moreover they're at least explained in a way that makes sense. People have parts of their brains replaced by cybernetic implants, which allows the organic matter to interface with wireless technology. We have real life technology that allows people to give commands to technology using tech that physically attaches to our heads and responds to brainwaves.  Replicants are born of artificial wombs. But if you're making your fictional technology do stuff that our real life tech is not even remotely close to doing, and even breaks the laws of physics, then you can't draw connections to present real life it nor a possible real life future. At best you'd have a magic system that we simply accept, but more on that later. The Wired functions like the internet in parts but those are not the parts that are played up. The series combines the internet with uploading consciousness and reality alteration and then conflates the consequences of those three concepts.

By contrast, take Pantheon, which basically does everything SEL tries to do but realizes the concepts. People manifest as avatars online using VR tech and VR suits for sensation. People are uploaded on the internet through a machine that slices open their brain and scans them. The internet "merges" with reality because 1) the internet is able to simulate all physical sensations so it becomes reality for uploaded people and 2) the internet controls so much machine functionality in the real world that those who wield power on the internet will be able to do a lot in the real world. Because things are more clearly defined, explained, and plausible, the discussion that arises from Pantheon is much more rich in all the little ways in which the fictional technology would affect the world at large and people's lives.

"There is no other anime that explores the relationship between people and the internet as in-depth as SEL. It shows step by step how Lain becomes immersed and dependent on the Wired. The addition of supernatural elements doesn't negate this, if anything it strengthens it through exaggeration. Her literally becoming god of the Wired is a creative way to show how far removed from reality yet proficient at manuevering in the Wired she ends up becoming."

Case in point: you're making a claim that the anime explores the relationship between people and the internet as we know it in real life, but a good portion of the Wired as shown in SEL is divorced from reality. If it's not clear how it functions and it's not remotely plausible, how can the series properly explore how people respond to it? I can't sit around and discuss whether or not I'd like to use the Wired, or the societal implications of the Wired because I don't know how projecting my consciousness into the Wired works and because rewriting code does not literally rewrite reality. The series doesn't so much explore the internet as it does uploaded consciousness and metaphysics, because the addition of supernatural elements would in fact radically shift our relationship with the internet/technology so much that it redefines the discussion of our relationship with the internet/technology, as opposed to further illuminating our relationship as is. Making all your points metaphorically or symbolically isn't exploring things in-depth; that's just broad and superficial. For example, her becoming god is a product of her having always been god and simply remembering that she was. Thus, the show doesn't show how being removed from reality is a natural consequence of using the internet. The most it shows towards our actual relationship with the web is Lain sitting there and soaking up gossip and news from the web and it looks like she's addicted to it but that's one scene. In fact, the anime doesn't devote much attention to the step by step integration of Lain with the internet. We see her asking around about the Knights and PhantomA but we don't see her developing her online personality or the majority of the interactions she has with her online friends.

So at best, SEL ends up with a magic system that has little relevance to real life technology. Ok, sure, lots of fantasy stories do that. But SEL doesn't even clearly define such a magic system and doesn't actually explore it. It just has a bunch of weird stuff happening, and then Lain is God, and makes a world-altering decision. But if people were code, could these people then live forever? Could we cure diseases and solve world hunger? Would there be a fight over processing power? Could you create a simulation inside of this simulation? What about even more basic things, like how other people besides Lain use the Wired in positive ways? These are all questions that Pantheon actually answers, so even if you find its tech more akin to magic, it does explore and clearly define its own magic system. Same with Ghost in the Shell with respect to its own concepts.

RecynonNov 11, 2023 10:33 AM
Nov 11, 2023 3:00 PM

Feb 2014
Reply to Recynon
@MizunoWaveRider

"It's explained enough. KIDS exists. Wired exists. Knights use KIDS in combination with Wired to hack people's mind without the need of hardware."

KIDS harvests psi, which is described as "good intuition", enough to physically bend a spoon. So it's telekinetic energy. How does telekinetic energy translate to telepathic energy? Furthermore, it's only explained that they're able to store the energy. They'd have to build a machine capable of using that energy to reach specific people over long distances to hack their minds so hardware would still be needed.

"Why is there no VR helmets or smth like that? Because the separating line between real world and Wired being unclear is a major component of the anime and VR helmets make it very clear. In episode 11, the anime has reached a point where it wants to make it clear that Lain is completely indulged in the Wired and thus they show her connected to a bunch of wires to unambiguously communicate this to the viewer."

That's the whole point of good scifi exploration: to show concrete ways in which technology affects us. The whole point of the show is that the Wired is blending into reality and people keep saying how prophetic this is but the anime never justifies this point. Like I said, it's correct in a metaphorical way but you can't attribute depth/insight/relevance to it because the way it shows this happening is completely divorced from reality and thus doesn't portray the nuances of how technology affects us. Lain being connected to a bunch of wires is also just a broad symbolic point. But for example, we're not literally connected to a bunch of wires and yet we're still deeply immersed in technology in various different ways. Lain becomes immersed in the internet because she finds out her life was fake, but not as a natural consequence of simply browsing the web. The broad point that the line between the real world and the virtual world is blurring can be illustrated using clearly defined concepts and THAT is what brings depth to the idea.

"No, it doesn't matter. Just like it doesn't matter how the cyberbrains in GitS are made, or the psychic stuff in Akira, or the replicants in Blade Runner.
The Wired functions like the internet, so lets see how people respond to this. That's all that matters. The techno babble is just aesthetic to make it more entertaining."

I haven't see Akira, but I'd say that while all scifi takes some leaps, there's a big difference between cyberbrains/replicants and changing the fabric of reality itself. Cyberbrains/replicants much closer to being at least plausible and moreover they're at least explained in a way that makes sense. People have parts of their brains replaced by cybernetic implants, which allows the organic matter to interface with wireless technology. We have real life technology that allows people to give commands to technology using tech that physically attaches to our heads and responds to brainwaves.  Replicants are born of artificial wombs. But if you're making your fictional technology do stuff that our real life tech is not even remotely close to doing, and even breaks the laws of physics, then you can't draw connections to present real life it nor a possible real life future. At best you'd have a magic system that we simply accept, but more on that later. The Wired functions like the internet in parts but those are not the parts that are played up. The series combines the internet with uploading consciousness and reality alteration and then conflates the consequences of those three concepts.

By contrast, take Pantheon, which basically does everything SEL tries to do but realizes the concepts. People manifest as avatars online using VR tech and VR suits for sensation. People are uploaded on the internet through a machine that slices open their brain and scans them. The internet "merges" with reality because 1) the internet is able to simulate all physical sensations so it becomes reality for uploaded people and 2) the internet controls so much machine functionality in the real world that those who wield power on the internet will be able to do a lot in the real world. Because things are more clearly defined, explained, and plausible, the discussion that arises from Pantheon is much more rich in all the little ways in which the fictional technology would affect the world at large and people's lives.

"There is no other anime that explores the relationship between people and the internet as in-depth as SEL. It shows step by step how Lain becomes immersed and dependent on the Wired. The addition of supernatural elements doesn't negate this, if anything it strengthens it through exaggeration. Her literally becoming god of the Wired is a creative way to show how far removed from reality yet proficient at manuevering in the Wired she ends up becoming."

Case in point: you're making a claim that the anime explores the relationship between people and the internet as we know it in real life, but a good portion of the Wired as shown in SEL is divorced from reality. If it's not clear how it functions and it's not remotely plausible, how can the series properly explore how people respond to it? I can't sit around and discuss whether or not I'd like to use the Wired, or the societal implications of the Wired because I don't know how projecting my consciousness into the Wired works and because rewriting code does not literally rewrite reality. The series doesn't so much explore the internet as it does uploaded consciousness and metaphysics, because the addition of supernatural elements would in fact radically shift our relationship with the internet/technology so much that it redefines the discussion of our relationship with the internet/technology, as opposed to further illuminating our relationship as is. Making all your points metaphorically or symbolically isn't exploring things in-depth; that's just broad and superficial. For example, her becoming god is a product of her having always been god and simply remembering that she was. Thus, the show doesn't show how being removed from reality is a natural consequence of using the internet. The most it shows towards our actual relationship with the web is Lain sitting there and soaking up gossip and news from the web and it looks like she's addicted to it but that's one scene. In fact, the anime doesn't devote much attention to the step by step integration of Lain with the internet. We see her asking around about the Knights and PhantomA but we don't see her developing her online personality or the majority of the interactions she has with her online friends.

So at best, SEL ends up with a magic system that has little relevance to real life technology. Ok, sure, lots of fantasy stories do that. But SEL doesn't even clearly define such a magic system and doesn't actually explore it. It just has a bunch of weird stuff happening, and then Lain is God, and makes a world-altering decision. But if people were code, could these people then live forever? Could we cure diseases and solve world hunger? Would there be a fight over processing power? Could you create a simulation inside of this simulation? What about even more basic things, like how other people besides Lain use the Wired in positive ways? These are all questions that Pantheon actually answers, so even if you find its tech more akin to magic, it does explore and clearly define its own magic system. Same with Ghost in the Shell with respect to its own concepts.

@Recynon
"KIDS harvests psi, which is described as "good intuition", enough to physically bend a spoon. So it's telekinetic energy. How does telekinetic energy translate to telepathic energy? Furthermore, it's only explained that they're able to store the energy. They'd have to build a machine capable of using that energy to reach specific people over long distances to hack their minds so hardware would still be needed."
There is no storage, it just harnests and/or amplifies their latent psi abilities or whatever. It's techno babble. The important thing is that it allows the Knights to hack people's consciousness, which affects the way they perceive reality.

"That's the whole point of good scifi exploration: to show concrete ways in which technology affects us."
No, it's not. 2001: A Space Odyssey is not a bad movie due to being an abstract mindfuck. Presenting technology in an artsy way that exceeds human comprehension is good and there should be more of it.

"Like I said, it's correct in a metaphorical way but you can't attribute depth/insight/relevance to it because the way it shows this happening is completely divorced from reality and thus doesn't portray the nuances of how technology affects us."
But it does. How is it not relevant? When I see the likes of Andrew Tate brainwashing young people I immediately think of Masami Eiri, or when I see people getting cancelled on Twitter over rumors I also immediately think of Lain.
And what does this mean "in a metaphorical way"? All sci-fi is metaphorical.

"Lain being connected to a bunch of wires is also just a broad symbolic point."
It's not symbolic, it's purely practical to communicate to the viewer that she's going one step further.

"But for example, we're not literally connected to a bunch of wires and yet we're still deeply immersed in technology in various different ways. Lain becomes immersed in the internet because she finds out her life was fake, but not as a natural consequence of simply browsing the web. The broad point that the line between the real world and the virtual world is blurring can be illustrated using clearly defined concepts and THAT is what brings depth to the idea."
I disagree, what brings depth to an idea is how far you develop it. And SEL develops its idea very far.

"I haven't see Akira, but I'd say that while all scifi takes some leaps, there's a big difference between cyberbrains/replicants and changing the fabric of reality itself. Cyberbrains/replicants much closer to being at least plausible and moreover they're at least explained in a way that makes sense."
Nah I think people just love robots, that's all there is to it. Nobody thinks mecha are plausible, for example. And I doubt many people question the technology behind cyborgs much.

"People have parts of their brains replaced by cybernetic implants, which allows the organic matter to interface with wireless technology. We have real life technology that allows people to give commands to technology using tech that physically attaches to our heads and responds to brainwaves. Replicants are born of artificial wombs. But if you're making your fictional technology do stuff that our real life tech is not even remotely close to doing, and even breaks the laws of physics, then you can't draw connections to present real life it nor a possible real life future."
Do you know what the explanation for the science behind Frankenstein, the first sci-fi story ever, is? Electricity makes frog legs twitch. I don't think it's important at all for it to make a lot of sense.
And changing the fabric of reality is easy, just take drugs (SEL even uses those as an easy comparison in ep 2). And SEL conveys the drug-like experience of being on the internet pretty well.

"The Wired functions like the internet in parts but those are not the parts that are played up. The series combines the internet with uploading consciousness and reality alteration and then conflates the consequences of those three concepts."
It mostly shows Lain either researching stuff, listening to people or talking to people, aka the stuff you do when you're on the internet.
I mean yeah, it didn't use Goggle or Yutoube or Twibber or whatever cringe alternation of official brands are commonly used in slice of life anime, but I see that as a positive.

"By contrast, take Pantheon, which basically does everything SEL tries to do but realizes the concepts."
I haven't seen Pantheon but it looks like a mindless action series.

"People manifest as avatars online using VR tech and VR suits for sensation."
But it didn't try to do that. If it wanted that then it would've had VR tech.

"People are uploaded on the internet through a machine that slices open their brain and scans them. The internet "merges" with reality because 1) the internet is able to simulate all physical sensations so it becomes reality for uploaded people and 2) the internet controls so much machine functionality in the real world that those who wield power on the internet will be able to do a lot in the real world. Because things are more clearly defined, explained, and plausible, the discussion that arises from Pantheon is much more rich in all the little ways in which the fictional technology would affect the world at large and people's lives."
But that's just the typical SAO stuff. I don't find that very interesting.
And people discuss Lain to this day. It's a classic. I doubt Pantheon will be remembered 10 years from now, let alone 25.

"Case in point: you're making a claim that the anime explores the relationship between people and the internet as we know it in real life, but a good portion of the Wired as shown in SEL is divorced from reality. If it's not clear how it functions and it's not remotely plausible, how can the series properly explore how people respond to it?"
You sit infront of a PC and type stuff on a keyboard, as shown in episode 1. That's how it works in Lain.
And when you get hacked it's as if you are drugged, as shown in episode 2. But instead of seeing pink elephants, other weird stuff starts happening indefinitely (aka forever). And since reality is subjective you're not running against an invisible wall or whatever, the wall just disappears because the world as you perceive it with all your senses is determined by your brain. That's why it's ambiguous whether or not what Masami Eiri tells Lain is true since the beginning or not, because her reality is messed with.

"I can't sit around and discuss whether or not I'd like to use the Wired, or the societal implications of the Wired because I don't know how projecting my consciousness into the Wired works and because rewriting code does not literally rewrite reality."
This is a story, not a product review.

"The series doesn't so much explore the internet as it does uploaded consciousness and metaphysics, because the addition of supernatural elements would in fact radically shift our relationship with the internet/technology so much that it redefines the discussion of our relationship with the internet/technology, as opposed to further illuminating our relationship as is."
No it doesn't, the supernatural elements change the aesthetic but not the substance. Your brain might not be literally hacked through tech and stuff, but you're still influenced by the information you consume on the internet.

"Making all your points metaphorically or symbolically isn't exploring things in-depth; that's just broad and superficial."
I don't know what your deal is with symbolism, you're the only one who's been talking about symbolism (even in cases where there isn't any).
And again, all sci-fi stories are metaphors.

"For example, her becoming god is a product of her having always been god and simply remembering that she was. Thus, the show doesn't show how being removed from reality is a natural consequence of using the internet."
Not quite, it's ambiguous for the reasons mentioned above. That's also the point of episode 12. Lain is dead sure that she's a program but then Alice tells her she is human, not through some techno babble explanation but just by touching her. That bit of doubt Alice inserted then allows Lain to defeat Masami Eiri, who had convinced her that she's a program meant to obey him.

"The most it shows towards our actual relationship with the web is Lain sitting there and soaking up gossip and news from the web and it looks like she's addicted to it but that's one scene. In fact, the anime doesn't devote much attention to the step by step integration of Lain with the internet. We see her asking around about the Knights and PhantomA but we don't see her developing her online personality or the majority of the interactions she has with her online friends."
It's more nuanced than you pretend it is. The reason Lain starts using the Wired is because everyone else is using the Wired, so she does it because she wanted to connect to other people. Yet, when she got too immersed in the Wired the opposite happens, she distances herself from her IRL friends and prefers to spend time in the Wired. I think this is very common.
She then gets basically scammed on the Wired and due to shame tries to hide it from her friends. The way this is presented in an abstract and supernatural way to make it more interesting but this is essentially what's going on. As a result she completely distances herself from everyone, not because she wants to but because of shame/depression/fear/etc. and then flees even further into the Wired. Also very common I would say.
All of this being presented in a more supernatural or abstract way doesn't mean it can't be highly accurate to what's going on in the real world. If anything an abstract presentation helps bringing out the reality of the situation more, because it feels a lot more intense than it looks like from the outside. Showing depression can be more accurate if you do it through abstract means than it is by just showing a person lying in bed or whatever.
MizunoWaveRiderNov 11, 2023 3:23 PM
Nov 12, 2023 9:52 AM
Jan 2022
Wasn't invested in Lain as a character. So I struggled to care about anything else.

I'll go through the series again one day for science but I can't say I'm a fan.
Jan 2, 4:28 PM
Dec 2019
@MizunoWaveRider

Sir, I respectfully respond in the hopes of clarifying my points, but I don’t think I can change your mind.

“There is no storage, it just harnests and/or amplifies their latent psi abilities or whatever. It's techno babble. The important thing is that it allows the Knights to hack people's consciousness, which affects the way they perceive reality.”

So this shows the impact of Konaka's made-up supernatural phenomena on people, not technology.

"No, it's not. 2001: A Space Odyssey is not a bad movie due to being an abstract mindfuck. Presenting technology in an artsy way that exceeds human comprehension is good and there should be more of it."

I haven’t seen that film so I can’t say whether or not it’s a bad film because of the way it abstracts technology. That last sentence is unsubstantiated, even if A Space Odyssey was a good movie, because it wouldn’t demonstrate that being an abstract mindfuck is good in general.

“But it does. How is it not relevant? When I see the likes of Andrew Tate brainwashing young people I immediately think of Masami Eiri, or when I see people getting cancelled on Twitter over rumors I also immediately think of Lain.”

“And what does this mean "in a metaphorical way"? All sci-fi is metaphorical.”

“No it doesn't, the supernatural elements change the aesthetic but not the substance. Your brain might not be literally hacked through tech and stuff, but you're still influenced by the information you consume on the internet.”

I did admit in previous posts that SEL does have some concrete depictions of technology that are relevant to today. The loss of privacy in Alice’s case due to technology would count towards that, but people would be getting canceled over real life rumors either way. I also don’t remember that the show explicitly said Eiri brainwashed people. I don’t think it was ever clear why the Knights believed so passionately in the Lain prophecy.

Regardless, I’m talking about all the supernatural stuff it pulls towards the second half with the internet merging with the collective unconscious and reality, Lain being God, the multiple versions of Lain, etc. That stuff is pretty much all supernatural and has no bearing on current reality, nor is it a plausible future reality, so it can’t be used to portray the nuances of how technology affects us in real life. But you’re saying that the supernatural stuff is a creative way of making a certain point. Like saying how Lain becoming God shows how far she is removed from reality yet she’s so good at navigating the Wired. People don’t become God in real life. So her becoming God would be a representation of people in real life getting better at using the internet while becoming more distant from reality. That’s the metaphor. But whether or not you want to classify it as such, this creative way of making the point fails at illuminating how people actually become more addicted to the internet. Your point was: “there is no other anime that explores the relationship between people and the internet as in-depth as SEL” and the supernatural elements strengthen this point through exaggeration. Well, no, because the supernatural elements make it so that Lain becomes God due to supernatural BS and not because she becomes better at navigating the internet. More to the point, she only really starts to throw herself to the Wired when she discovers that her entire life was a lie and because there were multiple versions of her, not because she became addicted to the web. The supernatural elements don’t enhance the depiction of people’s relationship with the internet; they just cloud it because they introduce all these things that are not a natural consequence of internet usage. Which is what I’m saying about the show conflating the consequences of the internet, uploaded consciousness, and reality alteration. If you’re commenting on the effect of the internet, and then you make the internet do a bunch of things belonging to other phenomena, then it’s no longer a commentary on the effect of the internet. If you can just make technology do whatever the hell you want in a story, then you’re no longer talking about technology, you’re talking about magic. Changing what the internet is capable of doing is redefining the internet and that’s literally changing the substance.

“I disagree, what brings depth to an idea is how far you develop it. And SEL develops its idea very far.”

Yeah, and developing the idea takes clearly defined concepts… that build upon one another. SEL haphazardly slaps together tenuously related concepts in a way that doesn’t make sense. I don’t see how that’s good development. Saying that you put code that “resonates” at the earth’s frequency into the internet protocol, and that’s what causes the internet to influence reality… I don’t see how that can be consider good development of an idea. Moreover, my point was that literally having the internet affect reality just glosses over the many ways in which the internet actually affects reality which the show could’ve continued exploring if it didn’t make such a leap. Sure, the internet has distorted reality, in the sense that we see the world through Youtubers, TikTok vids and Instagram models, ie. the mundanities of reality get left out, but that’s not the message that SEL is projecting. SEL’s message misses the nuance of this phenomenon by saying that we literally can’t trust our senses and diving into general solipsism.

“Electricity makes frog legs twitch. I don't think it's important at all for it to make a lot of sense.
And changing the fabric of reality is easy, just take drugs (SEL even uses those as an easy comparison in ep 2). And SEL conveys the drug-like experience of being on the internet pretty well.”

“You sit infront of a PC and type stuff on a keyboard, as shown in episode 1. That's how it works in Lain.
And when you get hacked it's as if you are drugged, as shown in episode 2. But instead of seeing pink elephants, other weird stuff starts happening indefinitely (aka forever). And since reality is subjective you're not running against an invisible wall or whatever, the wall just disappears because the world as you perceive it with all your senses is determined by your brain. That's why it's ambiguous whether or not what Masami Eiri tells Lain is true since the beginning or not, because her reality is messed with.”

Yes it is important, if we’re talking about SEL’s relevance to real life technology, as I’ve already explained above. If we’re not talking about SEL’s intellectual merit with respect to real life tech, then as I said before, we’re basically talking about a fictional magic system. Drugs can change our perception of reality but can’t literally change reality. Meanwhile Lain gets upset and she blows up a portion of her school. And no, being on the internet isn’t necessarily a drug-like experience in most cases. Also using the internet itself doesn’t get you brain hacked, as using tech to hack a biological interface is another whole new field of technology. Clearly, it does matter that there is some rhyme or reason to the way the tech in SEL works if you want to say it’s relevant or that it illuminates something in reality, because otherwise you get wild claims like this.

“It mostly shows Lain either researching stuff, listening to people or talking to people, aka the stuff you do when you're on the internet.
I mean yeah, it didn't use Goggle or Yutoube or Twibber or whatever cringe alternation of official brands are commonly used in slice of life anime, but I see that as a positive.”

Sure, those parts are fine, but those aren’t the parts that make Lain such a talking point. Tthe way it’s portrayed in the show I don’t see how those parts naturally lead to anything more than spending a lot of time on the internet. It’s the supernatural stuff that starts causing an existential crisis for Lain and form the crux of its themes.

"By contrast, take Pantheon, which basically does everything SEL tries to do but realizes the concepts."
I haven't seen Pantheon but it looks like a mindless action series.

You could test that hypothesis by watching it, if even out of spite for me.

“But it didn't try to do that. If it wanted that then it would've had VR tech.”

Right, instead it just uses ambiguous magic so that we can’t compare it to real life.

“But that's just the typical SAO stuff. I don't find that very interesting.
And people discuss Lain to this day. It's a classic. I doubt Pantheon will be remembered 10 years from now, let alone 25.

SAO doesn’t go into the details of VR tech and its broader implications on society. People discuss Lain to this day and to this day I still haven’t found a single profound thought arising from such discussions. Probably because most of the discussion is about what actually transpired in the series.

“This is a story, not a product review.”

The topic of this entire thread, and what I’m focused on right now, is the merit of SEL’s exploration of its ideas, because you said, “there is no other anime that explores the relationship between people and the internet as in-depth as SEL”. If it’s so in-depth I should be able to sit there and talk about all the things I just said. It’s also ironic you say that since SEL’s plot, as a story, is totally disjointed and it’s clearly more focused on its themes.

“Not quite, it's ambiguous for the reasons mentioned above. That's also the point of episode 12. Lain is dead sure that she's a program but then Alice tells her she is human, not through some techno babble explanation but just by touching her. That bit of doubt Alice inserted then allows Lain to defeat Masami Eiri, who had convinced her that she's a program meant to obey him.”

Firstly, whether she becomes God or just starts hallucinating everything, neither are natural consequences of sitting in front of a PC consuming information. Secondly, all evidence indicates that she at least has reality altering powers and isn’t human.

“It's more nuanced than you pretend it is. The reason Lain starts using the Wired is because everyone else is using the Wired, so she does it because she wanted to connect to other people. Yet, when she got too immersed in the Wired the opposite happens, she distances herself from her IRL friends and prefers to spend time in the Wired. I think this is very common.”

The reason she starts using the Wired is because she’s curious about what happened to Chisa. Her major goals are clearly shown to be for research into things like PhantomA and the Knights, not to connect to people.

“She then gets basically scammed on the Wired and due to shame tries to hide it from her friends. The way this is presented in an abstract and supernatural way to make it more interesting but this is essentially what's going on. As a result she completely distances herself from everyone, not because she wants to but because of shame/depression/fear/etc. and then flees even further into the Wired. Also very common I would say.”

I’m not sure what you’re referring to in terms of getting scammed and hiding it from her friends. She is more distant because she finds that “the real world isn’t real” and because she finds out her entire life is a lie and that there are other versions of herself.

“All of this being presented in a more supernatural or abstract way doesn't mean it can't be highly accurate to what's going on in the real world. If anything an abstract presentation helps bringing out the reality of the situation more, because it feels a lot more intense than it looks like from the outside. Showing depression can be more accurate if you do it through abstract means than it is by just showing a person lying in bed or whatever.”

Sure, something like Perfect Blue is a great example of surreal, confusing presentation highlighting a person’s mental illness. But my argument is that the abstract presentation of SEL (along with it making technology doing whatever it wants to do as I explained above) in this case doesn’t make things more visceral to the viewer but rather just makes things confusing and further departed from reality. Like yeah, I get the broad point that a person like Lain can become more withdrawn from real life as they’re more immersed in the internet. But the process of her doubting her identity and reality and finding out her life was a lie, I don’t see how that accentuates a person’s descent into the internet rabbit hole. It feels more like taking it in another direction. A person usually indulges in the internet over reality because there’s something that’s more alluring and addictive to it. I don’t get that feeling when watching SEL. Where Perfect Blue makes me feel the MC’s fear and paranoia because she was being stalked, I didn’t have the slightest clue that Lain was feeling shameful because she got scammed. And we see given our wildly different interpretations of what Lain was going through that SEL doesn’t make Lain’s experience clearer.
Jan 8, 3:12 PM

Feb 2014
@Recynon
I will ignore all redundant points to shorten this down a little.

"So this shows the impact of Konaka's made-up supernatural phenomena on people, not technology."
Science-fiction is always made-up supernatural phenomena. In fact if it's not one, then it isn't science-fiction.

"...because it wouldn’t demonstrate that being an abstract mindfuck is good in general."
But if a character in your story is getting mindfucked, then you need to convey that to the audience somehow. And if you effectively accomplish that by having the audience themselves experience a mindfuck, then how is that not good? What do you want? A textbox that says: 'character A is now getting mindfucked'?

"I also don’t remember that the show explicitly said Eiri brainwashed people."
Lain was brainwashed in episode 9 when she took the chip that Taro gave her, which was meant to overwrite Lain's memories and make Eiri visible to her. The chip was provided by the Knights but since the Knights worship Eiri, who was a conspiracy theory within the Wired, I'm referring to it as Eiri brainwashing Lain.
In the beginning of episode 10 then, when Eiri is physically first introduced, Lain and Eiri switch positions and Eiri is basically speaking for Lain while Lain is speaking for Eiri, but as the conversation goes on it becomes clear Eiri is more and more leading the conversation into the direction he wants. The implication is that Eiri makes Lain say and believe things.

When you go back to the earlier episodes you can also hear Eiri's voice in the background from time to time talking to Lain, telling her "how the world works" (like in the beginning of episode 5).

"I don’t think it was ever clear why the Knights believed so passionately in the Lain prophecy."
Yeah but it doesn't really matter, the prophecy stuff was just an episode 5 thing anyway and it mainly concerned Lain's sister. Their actual goal was to bring Eiri to life and Lain served as a vessel.

"Well, no, because the supernatural elements make it so that Lain becomes God due to supernatural BS and not because she becomes better at navigating the internet. More to the point, she only really starts to throw herself to the Wired when she discovers that her entire life was a lie"
She becomes removed from reality by being indoctrinated and brainwashed by believing all the stuff she heard in the Wired. That started before she was told that her family is fake, her getting convinced that her family is fake and that she isn't human is just the pinnacle of that indoctrination.

"Saying that you put code that “resonates” at the earth’s frequency into the internet protocol, and that’s what causes the internet to influence reality… I don’t see how that can be consider good development of an idea."
How does worldbuilding/techno babble decide how far developed an idea is?
Depth or development is in regards to story and characters, not in regards to techno babble. Although SEL has some of the best techno babble ever, episode 9 is basically a little microcosmos of conspiracy theories making up the supposed backstory of the Wired. You can look them all up, it's pretty cool.

"Sure, the internet has distorted reality, in the sense that we see the world through Youtubers, TikTok vids and Instagram models, ie. the mundanities of reality get left out, but that’s not the message that SEL is projecting. SEL’s message misses the nuance of this phenomenon by saying that we literally can’t trust our senses and diving into general solipsism."
There is no intended message in SEL, it's just about showing Lain's perspective and allowing the viewer to share that perspective. I also think that's the main issue here, you feel entitled to have a omnipresent birdeye view perspective of the show where you have perfect understanding of everything that's going on, but that's not the goal of the show. The goal is to share the same confusion and loss of reality that Lain is experiencing.

"You could test that hypothesis by watching it, if even out of spite for me."
LOL (I might actually)

"Right, instead it just uses ambiguous magic so that we can’t compare it to real life."
What? Are you seriously arguing that SEL would gain in substance if it had VR helmets? It's even a plot-point in Lain that no helmets are needed.
As if you can compare the VR helmets of sci-fi stories (or any other technology in there) accurately to real-life. Indeed, if you could then it would cease to be sci-fi. It's all magic excused by techno babble, always has been. It's not about realism, you just want something you can see and touch.

"SAO doesn’t go into the details of VR tech and its broader implications on society. People discuss Lain to this day and to this day I still haven’t found a single profound thought arising from such discussions. Probably because most of the discussion is about what actually transpired in the series."
There is no discussion on VR tech in the series, it's about the internet. VR tech discussions are all empty of substance anyway. When a sci-fi stories uses virtual realities it's either rule of cool (like Tron) or stands metaphorical for something else (like Matrix).
I'm not discussing what transpired in the series, I already know what the show wants the audience to know, because it explained or showed them. You're asking for things you didn't understand, which I answer, or you ask for things that the show deliberately keeps ambiguous. The main thing is that you just don't like ambiguity. But debating whether or not using helmets would've made SEL better is just silly to me.

"Firstly, whether she becomes God or just starts hallucinating everything, neither are natural consequences of sitting in front of a PC consuming information. Secondly, all evidence indicates that she at least has reality altering powers and isn’t human."
Because her memories and perception was altered, and those make up her reality. I explained this before. You're still trying to look at it from all-seeing birdeye view, but it's about viewing it from Lain's perspective which is obscured.

"I’m not sure what you’re referring to in terms of getting scammed and hiding it from her friends. She is more distant because she finds that “the real world isn’t real” and because she finds out her entire life is a lie and that there are other versions of herself."
She got scammed by the Knights and found out about it in episode 6 when they used KIDS to make a giant projection of Lain in the sky (which will later be used to project Eiri). In episode 8 the Knights stole Lain's identity to prank Alice to separate her from Lain. Lain then reversed that but since she couldn't delete her own memories she started isolating herself as she felt disconnected from the others.

"Sure, something like Perfect Blue is a great example of surreal, confusing presentation highlighting a person’s mental illness. But my argument is that the abstract presentation of SEL (along with it making technology doing whatever it wants to do as I explained above) in this case doesn’t make things more visceral to the viewer but rather just makes things confusing and further departed from reality. Like yeah, I get the broad point that a person like Lain can become more withdrawn from real life as they’re more immersed in the internet. But the process of her doubting her identity and reality and finding out her life was a lie, I don’t see how that accentuates a person’s descent into the internet rabbit hole. It feels more like taking it in another direction. A person usually indulges in the internet over reality because there’s something that’s more alluring and addictive to it. I don’t get that feeling when watching SEL. Where Perfect Blue makes me feel the MC’s fear and paranoia because she was being stalked, I didn’t have the slightest clue that Lain was feeling shameful because she got scammed. And we see given our wildly different interpretations of what Lain was going through that SEL doesn’t make Lain’s experience clearer."
I don't think it's necessarily that something about the internet is addictive, I think if a person has a fulfilling real life (social life) then they don't run much of a danger of escaping into the internet. But Lain's social life is kinda empty given her mother doesn't care for her, her father is more interested in computers than her, and her classmates (except for Alice) are too far off from her in terms of interests. It was the same with Chisa but there it was even worse because she didn't even have a Alice. If Lain didn't have Alice she also would've committed suicide in episode 11. So I don't think it's so much about specifying the dangers of the internet but rather that a lack of satisfaction in one's social life drives us into the virtual realities that might end up substituting our real life. You can of course argue it's too over the top and not realistic enough but that's just how sci-fi works. If it was more realistic it would be more like something like Welcome to the NHK, which has a similar topic but no hard sci-fi elements like SEL and therefore is not categorized as sci-fi at all.

Overall I think the main issues are:
1. You don't like ambiguity, you want everything to be crystal clear, and you think the show deliberately confusing you is pretentious.
2. You don't understand (or don't want to accept) that it's not about observing Lain from an all-knowing audience perspective, but that the viewer is supposed to experience the story from protagonist's perspective and therefore show her confusion.
If you don't like that then fair. If you don't see value in what Lain is doing then I disagree. If you still think SEL should have had helmets then NO!
Bye
Jan 14, 12:51 PM
Dec 2019
Reply to MizunoWaveRider
@Recynon
I will ignore all redundant points to shorten this down a little.

"So this shows the impact of Konaka's made-up supernatural phenomena on people, not technology."
Science-fiction is always made-up supernatural phenomena. In fact if it's not one, then it isn't science-fiction.

"...because it wouldn’t demonstrate that being an abstract mindfuck is good in general."
But if a character in your story is getting mindfucked, then you need to convey that to the audience somehow. And if you effectively accomplish that by having the audience themselves experience a mindfuck, then how is that not good? What do you want? A textbox that says: 'character A is now getting mindfucked'?

"I also don’t remember that the show explicitly said Eiri brainwashed people."
Lain was brainwashed in episode 9 when she took the chip that Taro gave her, which was meant to overwrite Lain's memories and make Eiri visible to her. The chip was provided by the Knights but since the Knights worship Eiri, who was a conspiracy theory within the Wired, I'm referring to it as Eiri brainwashing Lain.
In the beginning of episode 10 then, when Eiri is physically first introduced, Lain and Eiri switch positions and Eiri is basically speaking for Lain while Lain is speaking for Eiri, but as the conversation goes on it becomes clear Eiri is more and more leading the conversation into the direction he wants. The implication is that Eiri makes Lain say and believe things.

When you go back to the earlier episodes you can also hear Eiri's voice in the background from time to time talking to Lain, telling her "how the world works" (like in the beginning of episode 5).

"I don’t think it was ever clear why the Knights believed so passionately in the Lain prophecy."
Yeah but it doesn't really matter, the prophecy stuff was just an episode 5 thing anyway and it mainly concerned Lain's sister. Their actual goal was to bring Eiri to life and Lain served as a vessel.

"Well, no, because the supernatural elements make it so that Lain becomes God due to supernatural BS and not because she becomes better at navigating the internet. More to the point, she only really starts to throw herself to the Wired when she discovers that her entire life was a lie"
She becomes removed from reality by being indoctrinated and brainwashed by believing all the stuff she heard in the Wired. That started before she was told that her family is fake, her getting convinced that her family is fake and that she isn't human is just the pinnacle of that indoctrination.

"Saying that you put code that “resonates” at the earth’s frequency into the internet protocol, and that’s what causes the internet to influence reality… I don’t see how that can be consider good development of an idea."
How does worldbuilding/techno babble decide how far developed an idea is?
Depth or development is in regards to story and characters, not in regards to techno babble. Although SEL has some of the best techno babble ever, episode 9 is basically a little microcosmos of conspiracy theories making up the supposed backstory of the Wired. You can look them all up, it's pretty cool.

"Sure, the internet has distorted reality, in the sense that we see the world through Youtubers, TikTok vids and Instagram models, ie. the mundanities of reality get left out, but that’s not the message that SEL is projecting. SEL’s message misses the nuance of this phenomenon by saying that we literally can’t trust our senses and diving into general solipsism."
There is no intended message in SEL, it's just about showing Lain's perspective and allowing the viewer to share that perspective. I also think that's the main issue here, you feel entitled to have a omnipresent birdeye view perspective of the show where you have perfect understanding of everything that's going on, but that's not the goal of the show. The goal is to share the same confusion and loss of reality that Lain is experiencing.

"You could test that hypothesis by watching it, if even out of spite for me."
LOL (I might actually)

"Right, instead it just uses ambiguous magic so that we can’t compare it to real life."
What? Are you seriously arguing that SEL would gain in substance if it had VR helmets? It's even a plot-point in Lain that no helmets are needed.
As if you can compare the VR helmets of sci-fi stories (or any other technology in there) accurately to real-life. Indeed, if you could then it would cease to be sci-fi. It's all magic excused by techno babble, always has been. It's not about realism, you just want something you can see and touch.

"SAO doesn’t go into the details of VR tech and its broader implications on society. People discuss Lain to this day and to this day I still haven’t found a single profound thought arising from such discussions. Probably because most of the discussion is about what actually transpired in the series."
There is no discussion on VR tech in the series, it's about the internet. VR tech discussions are all empty of substance anyway. When a sci-fi stories uses virtual realities it's either rule of cool (like Tron) or stands metaphorical for something else (like Matrix).
I'm not discussing what transpired in the series, I already know what the show wants the audience to know, because it explained or showed them. You're asking for things you didn't understand, which I answer, or you ask for things that the show deliberately keeps ambiguous. The main thing is that you just don't like ambiguity. But debating whether or not using helmets would've made SEL better is just silly to me.

"Firstly, whether she becomes God or just starts hallucinating everything, neither are natural consequences of sitting in front of a PC consuming information. Secondly, all evidence indicates that she at least has reality altering powers and isn’t human."
Because her memories and perception was altered, and those make up her reality. I explained this before. You're still trying to look at it from all-seeing birdeye view, but it's about viewing it from Lain's perspective which is obscured.

"I’m not sure what you’re referring to in terms of getting scammed and hiding it from her friends. She is more distant because she finds that “the real world isn’t real” and because she finds out her entire life is a lie and that there are other versions of herself."
She got scammed by the Knights and found out about it in episode 6 when they used KIDS to make a giant projection of Lain in the sky (which will later be used to project Eiri). In episode 8 the Knights stole Lain's identity to prank Alice to separate her from Lain. Lain then reversed that but since she couldn't delete her own memories she started isolating herself as she felt disconnected from the others.

"Sure, something like Perfect Blue is a great example of surreal, confusing presentation highlighting a person’s mental illness. But my argument is that the abstract presentation of SEL (along with it making technology doing whatever it wants to do as I explained above) in this case doesn’t make things more visceral to the viewer but rather just makes things confusing and further departed from reality. Like yeah, I get the broad point that a person like Lain can become more withdrawn from real life as they’re more immersed in the internet. But the process of her doubting her identity and reality and finding out her life was a lie, I don’t see how that accentuates a person’s descent into the internet rabbit hole. It feels more like taking it in another direction. A person usually indulges in the internet over reality because there’s something that’s more alluring and addictive to it. I don’t get that feeling when watching SEL. Where Perfect Blue makes me feel the MC’s fear and paranoia because she was being stalked, I didn’t have the slightest clue that Lain was feeling shameful because she got scammed. And we see given our wildly different interpretations of what Lain was going through that SEL doesn’t make Lain’s experience clearer."
I don't think it's necessarily that something about the internet is addictive, I think if a person has a fulfilling real life (social life) then they don't run much of a danger of escaping into the internet. But Lain's social life is kinda empty given her mother doesn't care for her, her father is more interested in computers than her, and her classmates (except for Alice) are too far off from her in terms of interests. It was the same with Chisa but there it was even worse because she didn't even have a Alice. If Lain didn't have Alice she also would've committed suicide in episode 11. So I don't think it's so much about specifying the dangers of the internet but rather that a lack of satisfaction in one's social life drives us into the virtual realities that might end up substituting our real life. You can of course argue it's too over the top and not realistic enough but that's just how sci-fi works. If it was more realistic it would be more like something like Welcome to the NHK, which has a similar topic but no hard sci-fi elements like SEL and therefore is not categorized as sci-fi at all.

Overall I think the main issues are:
1. You don't like ambiguity, you want everything to be crystal clear, and you think the show deliberately confusing you is pretentious.
2. You don't understand (or don't want to accept) that it's not about observing Lain from an all-knowing audience perspective, but that the viewer is supposed to experience the story from protagonist's perspective and therefore show her confusion.
If you don't like that then fair. If you don't see value in what Lain is doing then I disagree. If you still think SEL should have had helmets then NO!
Bye
@MizunoWaveRider
"Lain was brainwashed in episode 9 when she took the chip that Taro gave her, which was meant to overwrite Lain's memories and make Eiri visible to her. The chip was provided by the Knights but since the Knights worship Eiri, who was a conspiracy theory within the Wired, I'm referring to it as Eiri brainwashing Lain."

Eiri was a real guy who killed himself, and it is implied he uploaded himself to the internet when they said that tech for doing so was invented. In addition, Alice saw Eiri too when he tried to physically manifest himself. So I don't see Lain's memories being overwritten in this case.

"She becomes removed from reality by being indoctrinated and brainwashed by believing all the stuff she heard in the Wired. That started before she was told that her family is fake, her getting convinced that her family is fake and that she isn't human is just the pinnacle of that indoctrination."

"There is no intended message in SEL, it's just about showing Lain's perspective and allowing the viewer to share that perspective. I also think that's the main issue here, you feel entitled to have a omnipresent birdeye view perspective of the show where you have perfect understanding of everything that's going on, but that's not the goal of the show. The goal is to share the same confusion and loss of reality that Lain is experiencing."

"Because her memories and perception was altered, and those make up her reality. I explained this before. You're still trying to look at it from all-seeing birdeye view, but it's about viewing it from Lain's perspective which is obscured."

"She got scammed by the Knights and found out about it in episode 6 when they used KIDS to make a giant projection of Lain in the sky (which will later be used to project Eiri). In episode 8 the Knights stole Lain's identity to prank Alice to separate her from Lain. Lain then reversed that but since she couldn't delete her own memories she started isolating herself as she felt disconnected from the others."

"2. You don't understand (or don't want to accept) that it's not about observing Lain from an all-knowing audience perspective, but that the viewer is supposed to experience the story from protagonist's perspective and therefore show her confusion."

I’m willing to talk on your terms but I have yet to see evidence that all these events are from Lain's perspective, and consequently, evidence that Lain got scammed.

"Science-fiction is always made-up supernatural phenomena. In fact if it's not one, then it isn't science-fiction."
"As if you can compare the VR helmets of sci-fi stories (or any other technology in there) accurately to real-life. Indeed, if you could then it would cease to be sci-fi. It's all magic excused by techno babble, always has been. It's not about realism, you just want something you can see and touch."

It's a case by case basis whether or not a scifi story utilizes plausible concepts that aren't far from current technology, and it's a case by case basis whether or not people are making claims that the scifi story is intended to say something about man's relationship to technology in real life. You list things like mecha anime, Matrix, and Frankenstein but I don't hear anyone saying that the scifi elements in those stories explain our relationship to technology in real life. Ex machina is an example of a story that uses concepts only slightly departed from reality: an AI that passes the Turing test. Therefore, it is able to provide a plausible scenario that would take place if AI did reach that point of advancement.

Even if you were right, say all scifi features made-up supernatural phenomena such that they can't be used to parallel reality, then that just means all scifi cannot be said to portray man's relationship to technology. So this entire line of argument doesn't prove your point. It's similar to trying to justify a moral act by saying, well, everyone else does it.

"How does worldbuilding/techno babble decide how far developed an idea is?
Depth or development is in regards to story and characters, not in regards to techno babble. Although SEL has some of the best techno babble ever, episode 9 is basically a little microcosmos of conspiracy theories making up the supposed backstory of the Wired. You can look them all up, it's pretty cool."

This thread, if you trace it back, concerns our dispute over whether or not SEL develops its ideas. Building on the idea doesn't necessarily have to involve imaginary technobabble, as it could be as simple as accepting one fictional concept and then every consequence of that concept follows real life rules.

"The main thing is that you just don't like ambiguity. But debating whether or not using helmets would've made SEL better is just silly to me."

For example, the use of helmets in SEL would dramatically change major events if the idea was built upon and developed. For one, the people afflicted by the PhantomA game would've easily been able to snap out of any illusion by simply taking off the helmet. Anyone not wearing a helmet could not have been "hacked" so Lain's sister couldn't have gone insane. Building on top of this, technology as portrayed in the show would be much further removed from reality and much more harmless, and the line between real and unreal would be much more clear. If SEL went for a more technologically advanced measure, like the cyberbrains in GITS SAC, then a lot of the hacking and subjective reality warping would make sense, but then there would still be rules. If you're a better hacker, you can't get hacked by a weaker hacker. If you're not cyberized, then you don't experience the merging of the virtual world and the real world. You would still need a physical brain/body to have a cyberbrain, which factors into any type of transhumanist theme; the scene where Lain doubts the importance of a body would be recontextualized. All of this stuff is explored in GITS:SAC.

"I don't think it's necessarily that something about the internet is addictive, I think if a person has a fulfilling real life (social life) then they don't run much of a danger of escaping into the internet. But Lain's social life is kinda empty given her mother doesn't care for her, her father is more interested in computers than her, and her classmates (except for Alice) are too far off from her in terms of interests. It was the same with Chisa but there it was even worse because she didn't even have a Alice. If Lain didn't have Alice she also would've committed suicide in episode 11. So I don't think it's so much about specifying the dangers of the internet but rather that a lack of satisfaction in one's social life drives us into the virtual realities that might end up substituting our real life.

Sure, I do think SEL portrays how Lain got soaked up in the internet because she was socially isolated, and that's all fine and good. I'm mainly talking about the supernatural events that start making her doubt reality, that don't really have much to do with "social isolation->escaping into the internet". But then again, these supernatural elements are interpreted by you as her being scammed/hacked" so this goes back to the earlier points.

"You can of course argue it's too over the top and not realistic enough but that's just how sci-fi works. If it was more realistic it would be more like something like Welcome to the NHK, which has a similar topic but no hard sci-fi elements like SEL and therefore is not categorized as sci-fi at all."

That's not how all scifi works. If it was more realistic it would look like GITS:SAC, Real Drive, or Pantheon.

To be clear, there is nothing wrong with a scifi story having over the top elements, but this entire discussion is with respect to your claim that "there is no other anime that explores the relationship between people and the internet as in-depth as SEL”. To say that this is how all scifi works is to say that every scifi claims that their unrealistic/over-the-top elements help explore people's relationship with technology in real life, and that's just not the case. Hell, I wouldn't even make that claim for the three shows I just listed, because those shows explore man's relationship with POTENTIAL technology.
Jan 15, 7:34 AM

Feb 2014
@Recynon
"Eiri was a real guy who killed himself, and it is implied he uploaded himself to the internet when they said that tech for doing so was invented. In addition, Alice saw Eiri too when he tried to physically manifest himself. So I don't see Lain's memories being overwritten in this case."
The information regarding Eiri's backstory was given in episode 9 Protocol (the documentary episode). If you remember, that episode was when Lain received the chip by Taro that was supposed to overwrite Lain's memories. As such, the implication is that the documentary footage you see is the information on the chip, and thus it was part of the memories the Knights wanted to insert into Lain (alongside the memories of her family being fake). Whether or not the information is factual in the context of Lain's world or just fabricated conspiracy theories is ambiguous (that's also why the first footage shows the seemingly unrelated Area 51 footage that ends with the quote "conjecture has become facts, and rumor has become history" = the information is unreliable).
Right before the Eiri part of the documentary shows up, it shows Lain saying "There is only one true god" and you hear Eiri's voice (which we already heard before in the beginning of episode 5) reply with "Yes, me". It implies the brainwashing worked.

"I’m willing to talk on your terms but I have yet to see evidence that all these events are from Lain's perspective, and consequently, evidence that Lain got scammed."
In episode 6, Lain finds out that the Knights lied to her, in episode 7 the men in black invite Lain to talk about her relation to the Knights, episode 8 shows the consequences of the Knights' influence on Lain (where there are countless copies of Lain on the Wired created by the Knights, the rumors in the school and the prank against Alice which forced Lain to do the first reset). The chip that overwrites Lain's memories in episode 9 came from the Knights, and in episode 10, Lain reveals the identities of all Knights members because they were responsible for her current state, which results in all Knights members being killed by the men in black.
Even before, in episode 5 it was explicitly shown that the Knights are responsible for the PHANTOM game and for Lain's sister becoming a vegetable.
Lain getting tricked by the Knights is pretty much the main plot, I don't understand how it's possible to miss that.

"It's a case by case basis whether or not a scifi story utilizes plausible concepts that aren't far from current technology, and it's a case by case basis whether or not people are making claims that the scifi story is intended to say something about man's relationship to technology in real life. You list things like mecha anime, Matrix, and Frankenstein but I don't hear anyone saying that the scifi elements in those stories explain our relationship to technology in real life. Ex machina is an example of a story that uses concepts only slightly departed from reality: an AI that passes the Turing test. Therefore, it is able to provide a plausible scenario that would take place if AI did reach that point of advancement.

Even if you were right, say all scifi features made-up supernatural phenomena such that they can't be used to parallel reality, then that just means all scifi cannot be said to portray man's relationship to technology. So this entire line of argument doesn't prove your point. It's similar to trying to justify a moral act by saying, well, everyone else does it."

I didn't say there can't be parallels, I said the science in sci-fi is, per definition, supernatural, because if it wasn't then we wouldn't call it sci-fi. And I think you misunderstand the commentary on that relationship, it's not about warning of or promoting certain technological development.
I never played Ex Machina so I cannot comment on it, but I also mentioned GitS and Blade Runner which, despite being less grounded in reality than Lain, are still capable of saying something about the relationship between humans/humanity and technology. The commentary in GitS and Blade Runner is not about whether or not cyborgs are possible in the future and if what we should do with that, these stories use technology to make a comparison between humans and machines, which then puts a new light on our understanding of what a human being actually is. It has nothing to do with "oh this thing will happen in a few years".
Same goes for Texhnolyze, Battle Angel Alita, Akira, Matrix and so on. They are sci-fi stories that make commentary on the relationship between humans and technology despite being absurd. And SEL isn't even that absurd.

"Building on the idea doesn't necessarily have to involve imaginary technobabble, as it could be as simple as accepting one fictional concept and then every consequence of that concept follows real life rules."
But it does that. Your issue is not that it doesn't show the consequences of the concept, your issue is that you don't understand it because you're used to isekai-type sci-fi where there is unambiguously one virtual world and one real world. And SEL doesn't do that you go "this is not how other sci-fi shows do it, therefore this is not developed".

"For example, the use of helmets in SEL would dramatically change major events if the idea was built upon and developed. For one, the people afflicted by the PhantomA game would've easily been able to snap out of any illusion by simply taking off the helmet. Anyone not wearing a helmet could not have been "hacked" so Lain's sister couldn't have gone insane. Building on top of this, technology as portrayed in the show would be much further removed from reality and much more harmless, and the line between real and unreal would be much more clear. If SEL went for a more technologically advanced measure, like the cyberbrains in GITS SAC, then a lot of the hacking and subjective reality warping would make sense, but then there would still be rules. If you're a better hacker, you can't get hacked by a weaker hacker. If you're not cyberized, then you don't experience the merging of the virtual world and the real world. You would still need a physical brain/body to have a cyberbrain, which factors into any type of transhumanist theme; the scene where Lain doubts the importance of a body would be recontextualized. All of this stuff is explored in GITS:SAC."
But the point is that the line is NOT clear. That's the whole point. This is exactly what I said you were doing before: "this is not how other sci-fi shows do it, therefore this is not developed".

"Sure, I do think SEL portrays how Lain got soaked up in the internet because she was socially isolated, and that's all fine and good. I'm mainly talking about the supernatural events that start making her doubt reality, that don't really have much to do with "social isolation->escaping into the internet". But then again, these supernatural elements are interpreted by you as her being scammed/hacked" so this goes back to the earlier points."
It's not an interpretation, that's the whole plot. I don't understand how you can come to a different interpretation where Lain isn't tricked/scammed by the Knights. It's literally shown at the end of episode 6 where she gets mad after finding out about the Knights' identity, and in episode 7 where the men in black call her out on her relationship with the Knights, in episode 8 where she finds a bunch of copies of herself on the Wired and where her friend gets pranked by one of those copies, in episode 9 where she receives the memory-manipulation chip from the Knights and in episode 10 where Lain literally gets all Knights members murdered as she was seeking for revenge. Like what else do you think happened there?

"If it was more realistic it would look like GITS:SAC, Real Drive, or Pantheon."
But those less realistic, you just think they are more realistic because they have helmets.
I already gave an example for a more realistic version of SEL, which was Welcome to the NHK. It shows realistically how isolation and media in combination influences people, but it's still not as in-depth as SEL. Not that it needs to be, NHK focuses more on the social isolation aspect compared to SEL which focuses more on how objective truth dissolves in the age of information.
Jan 21, 10:43 AM
Dec 2019
@MizunoWaveRider

The information regarding Eiri's backstory was given in episode 9 Protocol (the documentary episode). If you remember, that episode was when Lain received the chip by Taro that was supposed to overwrite Lain's memories. As such, the implication is that the documentary footage you see is the information on the chip, and thus it was part of the memories the Knights wanted to insert into Lain (alongside the memories of her family being fake). Whether or not the information is factual in the context of Lain's world or just fabricated conspiracy theories is ambiguous (that's also why the first footage shows the seemingly unrelated Area 51 footage that ends with the quote "conjecture has become facts, and rumor has become history" = the information is unreliable).
Right before the Eiri part of the documentary shows up, it shows Lain saying "There is only one true god" and you hear Eiri's voice (which we already heard before in the beginning of episode 5) reply with "Yes, me". It implies the brainwashing worked.

Except Alice saw Eiri try to physically manifest himself too. The documentary footage also starts before Lain acquires the chip. We are given hints that Lain's family was fake before this episode such as in episode 8 at 6 minutes when Lain asks if mom and dad are real and they look at her creepily, and DURING Taro's visit to Lain's room, that is, before the chip was used, we see the parents remark that it's almost over and that they should kiss while there is time. With regards to Lain saying there is one real truth and one God, and her talking as if she was Eiri, I'm honestly not sure if she was "brainwashed" here. It seems like she inherited the memories of Eiri and is stating it, but given that she still thinks herself as Lain in her subsequent actions, it seems like that was just a way of her to express the information she's been given from the chip. In addition, we see that her actual father and mother move out with her father acknowledging that her life WAS fake after all. You can say that this, too, is just a perception being written by the chip, but what evidence do you have for that?

In episode 6, Lain finds out that the Knights lied to her, in episode 7 the men in black invite Lain to talk about her relation to the Knights, episode 8 shows the consequences of the Knights' influence on Lain (where there are countless copies of Lain on the Wired created by the Knights, the rumors in the school and the prank against Alice which forced Lain to do the first reset). The chip that overwrites Lain's memories in episode 9 came from the Knights, and in episode 10, Lain reveals the identities of all Knights members because they were responsible for her current state, which results in all Knights members being killed by the men in black.
Even before, in episode 5 it was explicitly shown that the Knights are responsible for the PHANTOM game and for Lain's sister becoming a vegetable.
Lain getting tricked by the Knights is pretty much the main plot, I don't understand how it's possible to miss that.

So the Knights didn't tell her that they didn't tell her about them being responsible for PhantomA, which she finds out after she finds out about KIDS and the old guy refers to the knights as the rogues behind the game. Yes, in answer to my point that there's no evidence that she got scammed, this would be evidence that she got scammed in terms of being lied to. Building off of this, the series doesn't explicitly portray how this revelation affects her relationship with her friends. After she finds out about the Knights, the next scene we're shown between Lain and Alice is Lain remarking that the real world isn't real in episode 7 around 7 minutes. In the same episode, at around 3:30, Lain says that the Lain of the Wired is becoming less and less like her. It's not clear to me that finding out the Knights are the bad guys would cause Lain to remark that the real world isn't real, and/or cause her to withdraw from her friends. Perhaps we can fill in the blanks, given the "less and less like me" comment in this episode and the "passing these dupes off as me" in episode 8 around 19 minutes, that the Knights have been using evil Lain to distort Lain's perception of herself and that's what's causing her social isolation. Ok, I still don't see how this parallels real life in relation to what you initially said:

It's more nuanced than you pretend it is. The reason Lain starts using the Wired is because everyone else is using the Wired, so she does it because she wanted to connect to other people. Yet, when she got too immersed in the Wired the opposite happens, she distances herself from her IRL friends and prefers to spend time in the Wired. I think this is very common.
She then gets basically scammed on the Wired and due to shame tries to hide it from her friends. The way this is presented in an abstract and supernatural way to make it more interesting but this is essentially what's going on. As a result she completely distances herself from everyone, not because she wants to but because of shame/depression/fear/etc. and then flees even further into the Wired. Also very common I would say.

If you get "scammed" online most of the time it's because you pay for a fake product or something or you got catfished, and I don't see how this makes you distance yourself from your IRL friends out of shame, any more than getting scammed in real life makes you hide from your friends out of shame. People wouldn't have an identity crisis or question reality when their accounts get hacked. Even if people created multiple Lain avatars in real life, which we see with parody accounts and such in real life, it still wouldn't cause Lain to have an identity crisis. Which feeds into my point; Lain's exaggerated way of doing things doesn't actually explore people's reaction to stuff on the internet, other than the fact that scams do happen, which isn't exactly nuanced. The spreading of false rumors about both Lain and Alice are accurate to real life, but if we're talking about Lain waving hi to her friends but another version of her greets her friends per the video you linked, that's more supernatural BS. Your point about the confusing presentation putting us in Lain's POV as she gets lost in the sea of information is also wrong because from the first episode before she even contacts the Wired it's shown that her perception of reality is warped. Maybe this was the Knights using KIDS to brainwash her or whatever, but it clearly has nothing to do with her internet usage and accessing information.

The Knights put out evil Lain to confuse her identity, don't reveal their involvement in the PhantomA game, and try to mold Lain into Eiri's God, or something, that's true, but my main point is that all the supernatural stuff is not a scam. All available evidence indicates that Lain's life isn't real, she's a God-like entity on the Wired, and her powers in the Wired affect real life because the Wired is merging with reality. Those elements are the major reason she becomes disconnected, and those elements do not illuminate people's relationship with the Internet in real life.

Lain then reversed that but since she couldn't delete her own memories she started isolating herself as she felt disconnected from the others.

Lain clearly wants to connect here; it makes no sense for her to continue isolating herself if she did all that to reconnect with Alice. The only reason she doesn't feel connected to her friends is as a consequence of a literal physical manifestation of evil Lain touching and interacting with her friends. Even after the Knights are taken care of and she doesn’t think Eiri is a God, she shuts herself off from her friends because she knows that her life has been a lie and she doesn’t think she needs a body.

Also, again, the reason she starts using the Wired is because she's curious about her classmate's suicide and about who's responsible for the PhantomA deaths, not because everyone else is using the Wired and because she wants to connect with people.

I didn't say there can't be parallels, I said the science in sci-fi is, per definition, supernatural, because if it wasn't then we wouldn't call it sci-fi. And I think you misunderstand the commentary on that relationship, it's not about warning of or promoting certain technological development.
I never played Ex Machina so I cannot comment on it, but I also mentioned GitS and Blade Runner which, despite being less grounded in reality than Lain, are still capable of saying something about the relationship between humans/humanity and technology. The commentary in GitS and Blade Runner is not about whether or not cyborgs are possible in the future and if what we should do with that, these stories use technology to make a comparison between humans and machines, which then puts a new light on our understanding of what a human being actually is. It has nothing to do with "oh this thing will happen in a few years".
Same goes for Texhnolyze, Battle Angel Alita, Akira, Matrix and so on. They are sci-fi stories that make commentary on the relationship between humans and technology despite being absurd. And SEL isn't even that absurd.

Ex Machina is a movie. GiTS and Blade Runner are both more grounded in reality than Lain simply because they don't say that the internet is merging with reality and that you can harness psychic energy to brainwash people. That is absolutely absurd and impossible on the most basic level. Saying something about what makes people human and how they're different from machines is contingent upon machines possibly being able to approximate human behavior in the first place, and on the understanding that humans are probably also machines. Hence why questions about what makes us human only started to prop up when science discovered that humans are most likely complex biological machines, machines started developing in complexity, and DNA manipulation/cloning became possible. As for your other examples, sure, they can ATTEMPT to make a commentary on that relationship but you listing them doesn’t help your point, because whether or not their way of doing things succeeds in forming a connection with reality is case by case.

But it does that. Your issue is not that it doesn't show the consequences of the concept, your issue is that you don't understand it because you're used to isekai-type sci-fi where there is unambiguously one virtual world and one real world. And SEL doesn't do that you go "this is not how other sci-fi shows do it, therefore this is not developed".

But the point is that the line is NOT clear. That's the whole point. This is exactly what I said you were doing before: "this is not how other sci-fi shows do it, therefore this is not developed".

And the series is unable to substantiate such a point because it uses supernatural elements in a way that changes the substance of the technology it's supposedly commenting on, thus making the internet do things that by definition, it cannot do. The internet is just information. Anything beyond that involving interfacing with humans is a separate technology at the very least; then the commentary would be on THAT technology and not the internet, by definition. Even if SEL had some well explained, plausible technology that allows the Knights to brainwash people, that wouldn't speak to our relationship with the INTERNET, it would speak to our relationship with brainwashing technology.

Like I said, there are ways in which the line is not clear in reality but those ways are not illuminated by SEL's supernatural messiness, and therefore you can't claim that it explores people's relationship with the internet in-depth. We can argue about whether or not it develops its ideas but ultimately this is the main point. To be clear though, something like evil Lain somehow knowing Alice's secret and spreading it online, it's supernatural that evil Lain knows what Alice is thinking about, but roughly speaking, this can be used to parallel how people's private information gets spread online and how rumors spread like wildfire, causing damage to people's reputations. So roughly speaking, this is an example of SEL doing something in an exaggerated way that does NOT change the substance of the real life technology it's supposedly commenting on, so I can see your point there, but most of the other major exaggerations/absurdities in SEL don't function that way.

You can also stop telling me what my issue or lack of understanding is. I never said that this is how other scifi does it so this is how SEL should do it; I made points with respect to SEL itself and real life and then gave examples of how it’s done in other scifi. Your main point is that SEL explores man’s relationship with the internet in real life and when I point out that that’s a tenuous connection (using the internet is not like using drugs, if you get hacked, your computer gets hacked and not your mind, etc.) you deflect by saying that all scifi just uses technobabble, without justifying the connection itself.
RecynonJan 21, 11:10 AM
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Serial Experiments Lain Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nini - Dec 30, 2008

376 by ryzxgum »»
Today, 6:35 AM

Poll: » Serial Experiments Lain Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

StabbyPWNS - Oct 11, 2008

296 by sailorneptunelvr »»
Yesterday, 1:10 AM

» I'm got a question

mydaddy - Jun 5

24 by 0xJay »»
Jun 12, 10:56 AM

Poll: » Serial Experiments Lain Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

aero - Mar 16, 2009

175 by Ch0coPudding »»
Jun 9, 6:37 PM

Poll: » Serial Experiments Lain Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

cureroyale - Jan 27, 2009

124 by Bunker-Nines »»
Jun 9, 1:41 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.