Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Feb 21, 2021 1:25 AM
Jan 2021
People calling Emilia a bland character reminds me of people calling Eren a "generic shonen protagonist with cardboard cutout personality" back in 2015. I don't blame them, but it's interesting.
Feb 21, 2021 1:33 AM

May 2020
BerriesSan said:
Gilgameshuu said:

basic story? Now that's just false, Season 2's arc structure is complex and carefully written it can even be convoluted at times admittedly so I don't know how you think it's "basic" maybe you can explain it a little better because I don't see how it's basic in any way shape or form.

By basic, I mean that there is nothing "special" about rezero. Its just a gimmick and the story is written pretty straightforward for a mystery time leap show. Its world building is also decently good but not the best, even though it tries. Looking at it as a whole, it feels basic.

I don't know what you consider "special", I will admit Re:Zero doesn't have a lot of unique aspects apart from the RbD mechanic, and the flawed protagonist, but it executes a lot of these not-so special aspects really well, at first the world may seem like a generic Medieval Fantasy, or characters seem tropey and one-dimensional but as the story goes on, Re:Zero adds more and more layers to the world, lore and it's characters. I personally believe Re:Zero's lore and history is one of the most interesting and well-crafted aspect of the series, most of the things are basically a mystery at this point of the story. The are discrepancies between about the supposed history and actual history which makes the lore even the more interesting and realistic. For example, remember in Season 1 where it was stated that the Witch of Envy created the White Whale? In season we learn that's false as Daphne, the Witch of Gluttony was the only who actually created it and also the two other Mabeasts which are knows as the 3 Great Mabeasts, and that's just one example, we also see "400 years ago" being brought up a lot, and a lot of things seem to tie in in that time period.

This also applies to the characters, when we first see them they're generic but the show adds more and more to their character as the story progresses and we got to know more of why they act the way they do, my favorite example is Garfiel, on the surface you may just think he's a Bakugo type of character who's always loud but as season 2 progressed we got to see more sides to his character, then we got to see his sort of redemption arc in Part 2, I noticed you said you've only watched 2 Episodes of Part 2 so I'm not going to spoil you on his development, and this goes for every other character in the series, they are flawed in one way or another and have their own personal problems they must overcome, every character is multi-layered and well-written, at least in my opinion.
GilgameshuuFeb 21, 2021 1:37 AM
Feb 21, 2021 1:57 AM

Feb 2019
World and characters are boring, and there's no story. That's about it.
Well I for one already loved Lain.
Feb 21, 2021 2:00 AM
The Attack Titan

May 2019
Gilgameshuu said:
BerriesSan said:

By basic, I mean that there is nothing "special" about rezero. Its just a gimmick and the story is written pretty straightforward for a mystery time leap show. Its world building is also decently good but not the best, even though it tries. Looking at it as a whole, it feels basic.

I don't know what you consider "special", I will admit Re:Zero doesn't have a lot of unique aspects apart from the RbD mechanic, and the flawed protagonist, but it executes a lot of these not-so special aspects really well, at first the world may seem like a generic Medieval Fantasy, or characters seem tropey and one-dimensional but as the story goes on, Re:Zero adds more and more layers to the world, lore and it's characters. I personally believe Re:Zero's lore and history is one of the most interesting and well-crafted aspect of the series, most of the things are basically a mystery at this point of the story. The are discrepancies between about the supposed history and actual history which makes the lore even the more interesting and realistic. For example, remember in Season 1 where it was stated that the Witch of Envy created the White Whale? In season we learn that's false as Daphne, the Witch of Gluttony was the only who actually created it and also the two other Mabeasts which are knows as the 3 Great Mabeasts, and that's just one example, we also see "400 years ago" being brought up a lot, and a lot of things seem to tie in in that time period.

This also applies to the characters, when we first see them they're generic but the show adds more and more to their character as the story progresses and we got to know more of why they act the way they do, my favorite example is Garfiel, on the surface you may just think he's a Bakugo type of character who's always loud but as season 2 progressed we got to see more sides to his character, then we got to see his sort of redemption arc in Part 2, I noticed you said you've only watched 2 Episodes of Part 2 so I'm not going to spoil you on his development, and this goes for every other character in the series, they are flawed in one way or another and have their own personal problems they must overcome, every character is multi-layered and well-written, at least in my opinion.

Yeah, I am fully aware of all that. But I still count that world-building to be around a 7/10. The world doesn't feel living, and it feels as if the author just adds another new element for the sake of world building instead of stopping and understanding how every new element can impact the world and making something standout with it. At the end of the day, it still feels like a medieval fantasy, because it is. Something like Mushoku Tensei in my opinion handles world building better than rezero whilst keeping it in the boundaries of a "medieval fantasy" like rezero does.
Also, all the character development/writing feels superficial. Its as if the themes that Tappei wanted to explore have twisted the characters to act in a forced way, which in my opinion doesn't feel natural.
Also, For a dialogue-heavy series like rezero, the dialogues are neither witty nor are they utiised efficiently.

Feb 21, 2021 2:13 AM

Jan 2021
Subaru is a really annoying character tbh. At the start of the anime, he was kinda relatable and a likeable character, but then he started simping for Emilia because she's pretty (they didn't spend much time together). When he went through a certain phase in the anime, he was really annoying as well (constantly being stubborn, overly aggressive...)

That's why Re:Zero wasn't that great for me, but the anime in general is pretty solid.
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Feb 21, 2021 2:29 AM
Jul 2020
ok I HATE the anime, but the LN is one of my favs so I have nothing against re:zero, I do dislike rem, ram, felix and puck lol
Anime is cringe and it ruined my life. :)
Feb 21, 2021 2:41 AM

Oct 2020
BerriesSan said:
Redo-Master said:

Ask us....we will help you. Like just list all your questions but be exact.

I have a bit of confusion. Can you please tell me why exactly the characters have to go through trials and overcome their pasts in order to free the sanctuary?

@Gilgameshuu explained it perfectly...the lastest episode also expanded in the reason why the Sanctuary was created, if you have other questions then feel free to ask.

BerriesSan said:
I enjoyed the first season quite a bit, but it wasn't anything special.
The second season for me was a HUGE disappointment. The pacing was really bad and it was as if white fox tried to speedrun the story without giving it the proper time it needed to settle.
The story also didn't have a proper direction that it was leading up to, and things just ... happened. There are no standout characters when it comes to character writing and the entire Beatrice side plot in season 2 was boring af. It didn't intrigue or invest me and felt really dumb and forcefully dramatic.
Also, I really hate how the re:zero fandom acts like its an obvious masterpiece when there literally is nothing special about it. I don't think there are any parts of the story that only rezero can handle. Its a story that anyone could have written. Even a 12 year old. It is just a basic story.

still i don't hate it, it just didn't live upto the hype

The thing is S1 didn't have a definite plot or where the story was leading up....it only offered the amazing mystery and Subaru's character development. This series is really good in terms of fleshing out the characters and its mystery, its unpredictability.

S1 had a number of questions,like what are the Mabeasts, The deal with The Dragon, who were the Witches , who hired the assassins, Why Subaru always puts up a fake simle in front of everyone? There are many more minor details like the magic system (which is really interesting) and foreshadowings (Characters like Flugel, Alberdean, The Witch Cultists) and many more.

The characters in S1 have a lot to discover. The Royal Selection candidates, Roswaal, Beatrice, Reinhard and the other knights...there's really A LOT to them than it meets our eye, everyone will get addressed at some point and they will become relevant in the future.

Emilia got the spotlight in S2 and along with Subaru she and many side characters are getting character development. She was a mystery character, there were a lot of questions and secrets tied to her. The thing is if these things didn't appeal to you back then , then you might not enjoy their journey and development, and you may end up getting bored.

In S1 Otto was irrelevant but now we understand his motives and his actions through his back story, it explained why he wants to help Subaru. Garfiel is an important character since he is one of the major keys to win against Roswaal's bet and freeing the Sanctuary.

We got to know a lot about Roswaal too, why he wants to push Subaru to a corner and his back story explained his motives and beliefs.

Emilia's trial was to develop her character, she always felt useless and insecure because she couldn't comprehend what is going on in the trials because her memories were sealed. All the mysterious villains introduce were not the focus of this season but will be relevant again in future arcs. We got to learn sooo much about th e lore in those trials (The three Great Mabeasts specifically The Black Serpent, The Witch Cult, The Witch of Sins and more) This is how Re:Zero does mystery and foreshadowing, and in my opinion it's genuinely impressive and mind blowing. It connect the plot threads in such a way that you never expected or could have guessed.

I think if one looks forward to the characters and wants to see where it goes in the future , then only it will seem interesting. It's a hit or miss at this point. If you are looking forward to the characters, if you like them and want to see them develop , if the story impresses you with its secrets ,world building or character development then you'll live the ride. The story is a complete mystery and it will slowly absorb into you.

Do take into consideration that this series is planned for 11 ARCS in total. S2 only cover Arc 4 , the novels are in Arc 7 if I'm correct, we have a long way to go and this series if got full adaptation will most likely have 150+ episodes. S1 is just the prologue .
Redo-MasterFeb 21, 2021 2:47 AM
Feb 21, 2021 2:50 AM
Feb 2020
I've only watched to around episode 17 on season 1

Show is very generic imo, I'd give it like a 6 at best. Subaru is annoying & doesn't even bother questioning why he's in another world. I don't understand his obsession with Emilia, like at all. I don't understand everybody's obsession with Rem but perhaps I've never watched far enough to join the hype. I still doubt I'd get it though.
Feb 21, 2021 2:54 AM

May 2020
resaevaer said:

Show is very generic imo, I'd give it like a 6 at best. Subaru is annoying & doesn't even bother questioning why he's in another world. I don't understand his obsession with Emilia, like at all. I don't understand everybody's obsession with Rem but perhaps I've never watched far enough to join the hype. I still doubt I'd get it though.

You stopped watching at the turning point lol
Feb 21, 2021 2:54 AM
Jul 2018
was it that hyped? It has a dedicated fan base but i don't think anime community as whole was looking forward to it...as far as i remember Re:Zero was always a controversial series because people had mixed opinions
Feb 21, 2021 2:57 AM
Jul 2018
resaevaer said:

Show is very generic imo

If Re:Zero is generic then i don't know what non generic to you atleast get your facts straight
Feb 21, 2021 5:16 AM

Feb 2020
I've been reading a few posts from the first page and I really disagree with people saying this thread isn't needed due to attracting toxicity. Discussing opinions is important, we can't make people shut up if they start expressing negativity towards a show. Not every negative opinion is toxic, far from it, and positivity can, ironically, also attract toxicity. So yep, this thread is needed, I'm glad it exists.
Now to answer :

I actually like Re:Zero, but so far season 2 (both parts) have been hilighting all the flaws I already noticed in the first season. I'm not caught up with the current episodes (I think I'm around 4 episodes late) specifically because I started getting annoyed and so prefer to watch the rest with the right mindset, so everything I'll say here doesn't take in account the last episodes that I haven't seen yet.

So, the first issue I have is the amount of suffering. I have nothing against suffering in anime, if it's done correctly. The issue with Re:Zero is that there is an absolutely insane amount of suffering, to the point I don't even care anymore. Everyone has an over-the-top tragic backstory, everyone is in intense pain, everyone screams, everyone is practically insane, so I end up not caring because I'm not surprised anymore. What I mean is that if you want to add suffering to a story, you have to add subtlety. People have to feel bad for a character because they care about them, not the opposite. And if the suffering is there for shock value then it has to happen at some very specific moments, not all the time (unless it is a story that wants itself to be truly dark from the beginning to the end which isn't Re:Zero's case). And with Re:Zero's way of handling tragedy, there is another issue : it is making me uncomfortable because there is practically no break. It goes along with what I said, when I feel for characters, it has to be because the show made me develop real empathy for them, so if I feel so bad for them I'm almost crying, it is because they made a real impact on me, I'm exterior to the scene but I truly care nonetheless. Re:Zero falls into another category, which is the type of shows that doesn't make me feel empathy for the characters, it just makes me feel sick. I'm forced to feel something due to the amount of horrifying things happening, and that's exactly what I don't like, I don't want to be forced to feel something, I want to genuily feel it. If a scene made me feel something I want to remember it as a very special scene, that made me feel very special things (episode 15's ending did that right). I don't want to remember it as a scene that made me feel uncomfortable (unless this is the show's very goal, like Perfect Blue does for exemple).

Another issue is the problem many shows with a large cast encounter : characters randomly appear for a few episodes and then disappear just as randomly, and it's not even always the most interesting ones who get the biggest amount of screentime.

Another one is the plot, it is very confusing and doesn't seem to go anywhere. At first I thought I just wasn't paying enough attention, but then I realized that it's more that I have a hard time paying attention because the plot goes everywhere and nowhere at the same time. I don't know what I'm supposed to expect, there is something about a cult, something about a conspiracy, but anytime I begin to understand what's going on, the show suddenly brings something else on the table and I'm lost again. (And before anyone tells me that the plot is simply complex : there's a real difference between a complex plot and a messy one. For now, Re:Zero has the latter.)
And because of that, because of my lack of interest in the plot, I feel like I'm just letting the show drag me wherever it wants to but I'm not actually invested, at least not as much as I'd want to be.

I could also mention the very messy characterization that way too many characters suffer from but mentionning that is most likely the best way to get murdered by fans and I can't Return By Death so I'll shut up regarding that.

And I'm saying all that because as I said, I don't actually dislike Re:Zero. It has potential, it has good ideas, it has some very good scenes (the ending of episode 15 in the first season comes to mind), it has characters I truly like (Echidna being my current favorite), and this is exactly why I'm annoyed, because I want to enjoy this show as just as everyone else does, but there are some aspects I can't overlook.

@goheadmrjoester I get what you mean, but I was more referring to the fact that on paper, what they've been through is incredibly harsh (Garfiel has been abandoned at a very young age, Beatrice has been locked in her library for ages...). I wouldn't call them over-the-top if the show was morre subtle overall (though to be fair I actually find Beatrice's backstory to have been brought up pretty nicely). About Otto, I actually don't put him in this category, I don't feel like the show wants for people to see his story has a real tragic one.

@Gilgameshuu About the suffering, I'm not just referring to gore and all that, but to drama in general and regarding that, season 2 is still full of it, even if it's indeed tamed compared to season 1. But the real problem is more about subtelty actually (I feel like any sad scene is very "in-your-face" which I don't like). About the backstories, I wasn't thinking about Subaru nor Otto. Both of their stories have been very nicely done imo, I have no problem with them. About Garfiel, I had him in mind, because even if it indeed helps fleshing out his character, something felt off with the way it's been handled. It felt too, wouldn't say lazy, but easy, maybe ? I don't really know how to explain it, but something really prevented me from finding it believable. In the end yes, Emilia is one of the biggest reasons why I have this issue, but not the only one. The problem is that aside from Otto, I can't think of a single character whose backstory doesn't involve something particularly tragic. It becomes a bit hard to believe it, at least that's how I feel about it.

About the characters appearing and disappearing, the thing is that I'm not just referring to side-side characters but to some that are actually important, like Beatrice, Echidna, or Felt in the first season. They're here, then they're gone, then they're here again, then they're gone again... And the way they disappear is always very abrupt. As I said it's an issue with any show with a large cast of characters, it starts focusing on one then the focus shifts to another one so the first one is gone until it's their time to shine again. I guess not everyone is bothered by that but for me it's a bit annoying.

And finally, about the plot, I was unsure about it but if it's really arcs, I guess I understand a bit more, though it doesn't make the current arc any less confusing with Roswaald's plan, Echidna, the trial and all that. But to be honest I've been unfair when denying that Re:Zero has a complex plot, while a bit messy it still does have one. (Actually re-reading what I wrote, I realize I've been way harsher than I intended to be)
But it's not the first time I hear that it is better on a rewatch, so I'm really considering rewatching the whole thing once it's done airing (and maybe read the LN, the experience seems to be very different from what I've heard).
FafetteFeb 21, 2021 7:25 AM
Feb 21, 2021 5:20 AM
Feb 2021
Fafette said:
I've been reading a few posts from the first page and I really disagree with people saying this thread isn't needed due to attracting toxicity. Discussing opinions is important, we can't make people shut up if they start expressing negativity towards a show. Not every negative opinion is toxic, far from it, and positivity can, ironically, also attract toxicity. So yep, this thread is needed, I'm glad it exists.
Now to answer :

I actually like Re:Zero, but so far season 2 (both parts) have been hilighting all the flaws I already noticed in the first season. I'm not caught up with the current episodes (I think I'm around 4 episodes late) specifically because I started getting annoyed and so prefer to watch the rest with the right mindset, so everything I'll say here doesn't take in account the last episodes that I haven't seen yet.

So, the first issue I have is the amount of suffering. I have nothing against suffering in anime, if it's done correctly. The issue with Re:Zero is that there is an absolutely insane amount of suffering, to the point I don't even care anymore. Everyone has an over-the-top tragic backstory, everyone is in intense pain, everyone screams, everyone is practically insane, so I end up not caring because I'm not surprised anymore. What I mean is that if you want to add suffering to a story, you have to add subtlety. People have to feel bad for a character because they care about them, not the opposite. And if the suffering is there for shock value then it has to happen at some very specific moments, not all the time (unless it is a story that wants itself to be truly dark from the beginning to the end which isn't Re:Zero's case). And with Re:Zero's way of handling tragedy, there is another issue : it is making me uncomfortable because there is practically no break. It goes along with what I said, when I feel for characters, it has to be because the show made me develop real empathy for them, so if I feel so bad for them I'm almost crying, it is because they made a real impact on me, I'm exterior to the scene but I truly care nonetheless. Re:Zero falls into another category, which is the type of shows that doesn't make me feel empathy for the characters, it just makes me feel sick. I'm forced to feel something due to the amount of horrifying things happening, and that's exactly what I don't like, I don't want to be forced to feel something, I want to genuily feel it.

Another issue is the problem many shows with a large cast encounter : characters randomly appear for a few episodes and then disappear just as randomly, and it's not even always the most interesting ones who get the biggest amount of screentime.

Another one is the plot, it is very confusing and doesn't seem to go anywhere. At first I thought I just wasn't paying enough attention, but then I realized that it's more that I have a hard time paying attention because the plot goes everywhere and nowhere at the same time. I don't know what I'm supposed to expect, there is something about a cult, something about a conspiracy, but anytime I begin to understand what's going on, the show suddenly brings something else on the table and I'm lost again. (And before anyone tells me that the plot is simply complex : there's a real difference between a complex plot and a messy one. For now, Re:Zero has the latter.)
And because of that, because of my lack of interest in the plot, I feel like I'm just letting the show drag me wherever it wants to but I'm not actually invested, at least not as much as I'd want to be.

I could also mention the very messy characterization that way too many characters suffer from but mentionning that is most likely the best way to get murdered by fans and I can't Return By Death so I'll shut up regarding that.

And I'm saying all that because as I said, I don't actually dislike Re:Zero. It has potential, it has good ideas, it has some very good scenes (the ending of episode 15 in the first season comes to mind), it has characters I truly like (Echidna being my current favorite), and this is exactly why I'm annoyed, because I want to enjoy this show as just as everyone else does, but there are some aspects I can't overlook.

I thought Otto and Garfiel's backstory were pretty tame. Beatrice's was unfortunate for her I guess but it wasn't edgy or anything. The only backstory I'd call over-the-top tragic would be Emilia's and even that had wholesome moments.
goheadmrjoesterFeb 21, 2021 5:25 AM
Feb 21, 2021 5:21 AM

Aug 2020
I haven't watched it yet, so I have no say in this (I'm watching the entire series in the Spring) but I've heard it's got good characters and a good plot but I'm not sure.
Feb 21, 2021 5:32 AM

Mar 2018
I haven’t watched it but the reason why I’m really really hesitant to watch it is because it’s rpg/medieval aesthetic it has going on. That’s why I’ve never watched isekai for that sole reason. I know it’s a really petty reason and I don’t usually watch shows for they’re aesthetic. But it’s probably one of my most hated aesthetics so I think I’m gonna wait or maybe never watch it.
Feb 21, 2021 6:20 AM

May 2020
Fafette said:
Now to answer :

So, the first issue I have is the amount of suffering. I have nothing against suffering in anime, if it's done correctly. The issue with Re:Zero is that there is an absolutely insane amount of suffering, to the point I don't even care anymore. Everyone has an over-the-top tragic backstory, everyone is in intense pain, everyone screams, everyone is practically insane, so I end up not caring because I'm not surprised anymore. What I mean is that if you want to add suffering to a story, you have to add subtlety. People have to feel bad for a character because they care about them, not the opposite. And if the suffering is there for shock value then it has to happen at some very specific moments, not all the time (unless it is a story that wants itself to be truly dark from the beginning to the end which isn't Re:Zero's case). And with Re:Zero's way of handling tragedy, there is another issue : it is making me uncomfortable because there is practically no break. It goes along with what I said, when I feel for characters, it has to be because the show made me develop real empathy for them, so if I feel so bad for them I'm almost crying, it is because they made a real impact on me, I'm exterior to the scene but I truly care nonetheless. Re:Zero falls into another category, which is the type of shows that doesn't make me feel empathy for the characters, it just makes me feel sick. I'm forced to feel something due to the amount of horrifying things happening, and that's exactly what I don't like, I don't want to be forced to feel something, I want to genuily feel it. If a scene made me feel something I want to remember it as a very special scene, that made me feel very special things (episode 15's ending did that right). I don't want to remember it as a scene that made me feel uncomfortable (unless this is the show's very goal, like Perfect Blue does for exemple).

Part 2 has been tame with the suffering, Part 1 was filled with it from the halfway point until the end but I feel like it's a well-placed suffering, it helped in escalating the seemingly impossible situation that Subaru was stuck in while not stretching it and making it random. As for the backstories, Subaru had a pretty normal backstory, nothing tragic, Otto's was pretty wholesome, Garf's was tragic but it helped flesh out his character and gives a reason to why he acts the way he does so it makes sense why he needed that tragic backstory, I feel like your complaint only applies to Emilia's backstory.

This season has mostly been focused solely on the Emilia camp, other characters that appear are there for foreshadowing for the future, characters like Pandora and Hector are supposed to be enigmatic, Regulus' arrival is a bit random in the anime since they cut out the reason why he's there, I'll put it in a spoiler tag if you want to know.

Re:Zero is cut into arcs, there really isn't any overarching plot or goal, and I personally don't think that's a problem, a show doesn't have to have an overarching plot in my opinion, there are adventure-centric shows that just focuses on the characters journey, it's a similar case here to Re:Zero, just think of like Subaru's bizarre adventures, but even without an overarching goal, we still have long-term goals like the Royal Selection, short-term goals like waking up Rem, freeing the Sanctuary, etc.

I feel like the viewers are still in the transition period since Arc 3 and the current Arc 4 are vastly different in terms of structure and length, Arcs 1 - 3 simply serve as the prologue of the entire series so they're supposed to be shorter and more straightforward arcs, while Arc 4 is the first main arc, with more layers than the previous ones, at the start of Season 2, they have introduced a lot of key plot points already, and the more we progress through the arc the more plot points are introduced, giving more depth and layer to the plot of Arc 4, so it can be very confusing and may turn off some people, especially those who previously just watched Re:Zero as a turn off your brain show, for surface level reasons like suffering, shock factor or waifus, and there's nothing wrong with watching it for those reasons but Re:Zero is just more than that. Arc 4's plot can indeed be, as you said, messy for some people, but it is true that it's a complex and nuanced arc, which will be made more apparent if you rewatch it, I believe Re:Zero is one of those shows that gets better when you rewatch, especially with such a heavy and confusing arc like Arc 4, when you look back and rewatch season 2 you will notice details and foreshadowing that you maybe initially missed, and you will be able to see how everything seems to fit together perfectly, in Re:Zero, nothing ever happens without a reason, at least for most things.
GilgameshuuFeb 21, 2021 6:40 AM
Feb 21, 2021 6:24 AM

May 2020
Kaliyahscake said:
I haven’t watched it but the reason why I’m really really hesitant to watch it is because it’s rpg/medieval aesthetic it has going on. That’s why I’ve never watched isekai for that sole reason. I know it’s a really petty reason and I don’t usually watch shows for they’re aesthetic. But it’s probably one of my most hated aesthetics so I think I’m gonna wait or maybe never watch it.

It is set in a medieval fantasy world but it doesn't have rpg elements.
Feb 21, 2021 6:26 AM
Feb 2021
resaevaer said:

Episode 18 is when people started liking Rem, I personally still think she's an one-dimensional simp but people like her for what she did in that episode. Subaru likes Emilia the same reason Rem likes Subaru, Emilia saved Subaru when no one else in the world would and Rem likes Subaru because he saved her from her insecurities. They are horny teenagers lol.
Feb 21, 2021 6:37 AM

Jul 2012
I personally liked the start of the show and got me invested but I started to lose my interest quickly after a few episodes. I gave S2P1 a go but I got bored out my mind with it.
My biggest problem with the series is that I don't care about any of the characters. At the beginning I kinda cared about Subaru and Rem but that faded away, and I can't enjoy a show if I don't care at least about ONE person.
Also, the fact that I don't really like the artstyle doesn't help.
Feb 21, 2021 6:39 AM
Jan 2021
HikariShoumeiron said:
I personally liked the start of the show and got me invested but I started to lose my interest quickly after a few episodes. I gave S2P1 a go but I got bored out my mind with it.
My biggest problem with the series is that I don't care about any of the characters. At the beginning I kinda cared about Subaru and Rem but that faded away, and I can't enjoy a show if I don't care at least about ONE person.
Also, the fact that I don't really like the artstyle doesn't help.

I mean you're not supposed to care or know that much about them until a certain point in part 2 that's the point of this arc
Feb 21, 2021 6:45 AM

May 2018
"To the people who don't like Re:Zero, Why?"

Personally not a fan of torture porn and melodrama.
Feb 21, 2021 6:48 AM

Feb 2016
The episode I saw did nothing to make me want to continue watching.
その目だれの目?
Feb 21, 2021 6:50 AM

May 2020
To me the whole show is just a cock tease. They constantly tell you that something interesting will happen later without interesting things happening currently. It's like you're on the 11th date with the series and it's still giving you a hand job. I also feel like the series is a bit pretentious, meaning the series thinks its way smarter than it is. When you're straight up announcing that something is coming back later all the time but also portray yourself as extremely well written, that's a problem for me. I don't think it's bad but I also don't think it's good
I said with a posed look
Feb 21, 2021 6:53 AM
Oct 2020
evangelionlove said:
I also feel like the series is a bit pretentious, meaning the series thinks its way smarter than it is. When you're straight up announcing that something is coming back later all the time but also portray yourself as extremely well written, that's a problem for me. I don't think it's bad but I also don't think it's good

You say that when your favorite anime list is filled with pretentious shows.
Feb 21, 2021 7:06 AM
Apr 2016
WAY to much standing around and talking. It seems to be an issue with these light novel series 8n general not just re zero. Season one sets up an interesting world and some potentially good characters and then once everyone is on board following seasons take that good will and vomit exposition on it.
Feb 21, 2021 7:06 AM

May 2020
StupidSimp69 said:
evangelionlove said:
I also feel like the series is a bit pretentious, meaning the series thinks its way smarter than it is. When you're straight up announcing that something is coming back later all the time but also portray yourself as extremely well written, that's a problem for me. I don't think it's bad but I also don't think it's good

You say that when you haven't watched a single one of them
I said with a posed look
Feb 21, 2021 7:16 AM

Jul 2016
Re:Zero fans will watch the latest season of their nonsense show and then call it the best thing ever when it fails to tie up the dozens of loose plot threads from the previous seasons in favor of going off on a tangent where characters talk in circles for episodes on end.

Just admit you watch it so you have context when you go to read the hentai doujins later.

Feb 21, 2021 7:18 AM

Feb 2016
StupidSimp69 said:
evangelionlove said:

Things are always happening in his favorite anime, unlike Re Zero. Re Zero is a series of empty promises.
その目だれの目?
Feb 21, 2021 7:18 AM

Jul 2016
kotomine33 said:
People calling Emilia a bland character reminds me of people calling Eren a "generic shonen protagonist with cardboard cutout personality" back in 2015. I don't blame them, but it's interesting.

They weren't wrong then. They aren't wrong now.

Feb 21, 2021 7:27 AM

May 2020
Lucifrost said:
StupidSimp69 said:

Things are always happening in his favorite anime, unlike Re Zero. Re Zero is a series of empty promises.

In your list of 500 shows you don't even have Re:Zero in it... did you actually watch it?
Feb 21, 2021 7:35 AM
Jan 2021
tetrabun-ny said:
kotomine33 said:

They weren't wrong then. They aren't wrong now.

About Eren? I'd completely disagree with that.
Feb 21, 2021 7:38 AM
May 2020
At the end of season 2 part 1, the witches and the battle between Roswaal and Barusu was really hyped I was considering it's my favorite isekai. But this part 2 just doing some flashbacks that for me doesn't really fit the atmosphere atm. Just asking, will the witches and Roswaal v Barusu be mentioned again? Because I don't like that they just left question without answer and makes me think it's a plot hole.
Feb 21, 2021 7:40 AM

May 2020
Playay said:
At the end of season 2 part 1, the witches and the battle between Roswaal and Barusu was really hyped I was considering it's my favorite isekai. But this part 2 just doing some flashbacks that for me doesn't really fit the atmosphere atm. Just asking, will the witches and Roswaal v Barusu be mentioned again? Because I don't like that they just left question without answer and makes me think it's a plot hole.

What do you mean Witches Vs. Subaru? That was never a thing
Feb 21, 2021 7:41 AM
May 2020
Gilgameshuu said:
Playay said:

The witches, and the Roswaal vs Subaru. That's two different points
Feb 21, 2021 7:44 AM

May 2020
Playay said:
Gilgameshuu said:

Roswaal Vs. Subaru is still happening, that's one of the main points of Part 2, the clashing of ideals between the two. As for the witches... we don't know if we will get to see them or not since they only appear in Echidna's dream world, I don't know how that's a plot hole tho.
Feb 21, 2021 7:44 AM
Jan 2021
Playay said:
Gilgameshuu said:

Subaru is up against Roswaal right now... they have to go through Emilia's trials to free the sanctuary so they can prepare for the faceoff against Roswaal, the assassins and possibly the rabbits if Roswaal manages to make it snow.
Feb 21, 2021 7:45 AM

Jan 2013
Episode 18. Puck, Emilia, Subaru. Cutting Rem's scenes from the light novel.
Feb 21, 2021 8:00 AM
May 2020
Gilgameshuu said:
Roswaal Vs. Subaru is still happening, that's one of the main points of Part 2, the clashing of ideals between the two. As for the witches... we don't know if we will get to see them or not since they only appear in Echidna's dream world, I don't know how that's a plot hole tho.
kotomine33 said:
Subaru is up against Roswaal right now... they have to go through Emilia's trials to free the sanctuary so they can prepare for the faceoff against Roswaal, the assassins and possibly the rabbits if Roswaal manages to make it snow.
Oh okay then, thanks. I really want to like this series so I hope this time does not disappoint me.
Feb 21, 2021 8:05 AM
Aug 2013
the first season it's a completely stereotypical show, except for the technical stuff, it has nothing remarkable. completely nothing
perhaps its merit is that it is not as bad as the other series of its genre
wulfHkzFeb 21, 2021 8:11 AM
Feb 21, 2021 8:46 AM
Jan 2018
Because they lack Patience.

They wait per episode expect something to happen, randomly. May I ask, why? The story been keep consistent no asspull involved because writer already decide he will make 11 arcs, and he already decide what each arc is all about from the start. If you watch this show because you expect something to happen as your wish, it will never gonna happen sadly.

Mystery and worldbuilding, I think that's the pillar of Re:Zero. (this is world from novel reader so take it with grain of salt) If you don't like it, then literally there are no point of watching this show except from enjoying Subaru suffering and Waifus.
Feb 21, 2021 8:55 AM
Jun 2020
It's fine, though fanboys claiming it as fiction literally written by god really makes me bleh..
Feb 21, 2021 9:08 AM

Dec 2018
I have yet to start S2 pt 2, but my only complain is its art style. It looks very bubbly, moe and waifu baity af, which I in general am not a fan of, if it had a little more detailed and realistic artstyle I might really enjoy it way more.

Also S2 pt 1 was good overall (still felt S1 was better) but pacing was slow af, despite cutting ops and eds they didn't even finish the arc and it felt anticlimactic.
Planning on watching S2 pt 2 after it completes airing .
Feb 21, 2021 9:17 AM

Apr 2014
Too much cheap drama, too much crying. Sometimes i wonder if i'm watching a soup opera instead.
Feb 21, 2021 9:20 AM

Aug 2018
It's slow and tedious to watch and the dialogue is infuriating
_______I like rocks__
Feb 21, 2021 10:08 AM
Nov 2019
Winter_Fox said:
Mystery and worldbuilding, I think that's the pillar of Re:Zero. (this is world from novel reader so take it with grain of salt) If you don't like it, then literally there are no point of watching this show except from enjoying Subaru suffering and Waifus.

The mystery part is probably the best one. The author has some skill to keep the suspense.

Worldbuilding is OK, but nothing special. It's a generic medieval-theme isekai setting. You have them dime the dozen.

It's not about not liking the mystery. Mystery is fine. The problem is that the characters are shit, and the main characters are the worst offenders. If characters in a story are important to you, you're not gonna enjoy ReZero much.

Feb 21, 2021 10:11 AM

Mar 2019
i didnt like the first season, subaru being a bitch rlly dominated how much i disliked the first season but the 2nd season is pr good imo
Feb 21, 2021 10:31 AM
Jul 2018
I know Subaru becomes better, but I don't care for neet and this type of protagonists at all, even if they get development.
Also Rem is just so far a boring waifu imo...
Feb 21, 2021 10:35 AM
Review Moderator
Onii Chan

Mar 2018
I like it all things considered, I just dont consider it gods gift to anime like most on this site do.

If I had to point out a specific flaw, I think the world building is some of the worst I have seen in any fantasy anime setting, seriously Bofuri of all things had a more interesting world and its literally a generic MMO world.

Probably worth adding that I am way to old to self insert or relate to Subaru at all, he makes for a great protagonist if you are a 15 year old who is bored of school or has troubles with their first relationship, nothing about him goes beyond generic inspirational teenager who is in their dream fantasy world.
ACasualViewerFeb 21, 2021 10:42 AM
Feb 21, 2021 10:49 AM
Feb 2020
I don't think I liked the show but not disliked it either.

I have so far just watched Season 1 and rated it 8/10 (before Season 2 was released). Moreover I am a big fan of isekai genre but still couldn't bring myself to continue the series. Why?

Well, its because there is not much progress that I would love to see in an anime of that many episode. As I think, this is maybe because it kind of feel like story is going everywhere but still nowhere. A classic direction less story. There was not much of character development as I would expect so far in the story.

These two were my real complaints about the show (2 points deduction).

I guess this would answer your question.
Feb 21, 2021 10:50 AM
Jan 2018
Kuxu said:
Winter_Fox said:

The mystery part is probably the best one. The author has some skill to keep the suspense.

Worldbuilding is OK, but nothing special. It's a generic medieval-theme isekai setting. You have them dime the dozen.

It's not about not liking the mystery. Mystery is fine. The problem is that the characters are shit, and the main characters are the worst offenders. If characters in a story are important to you, you're not gonna enjoy ReZero much.

If im being honest, i like the villain more than subaru friends. They are OP as hell, the way they talk is unique, its like they have 1000 way to make subaru suffer. Currently i'm waiting when all of em gonna come and fuck things up.

This way we probably see how subaru and friends gonna overcome all of those baddies, i think that what makes re: zero characters interesting. They all are bad but keep trying, they all are weak but never gave up.

One backup another, subaru save rem, rem saves him. Subaru save emilia, otto save subaru, subaru save garfiel. Each of their own is weak and mental af, and shit. Thats why it's interesting at least for me to see them growing.
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 17, 2016

1170 by Lejy0nr »»
Yesterday, 12:17 PM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 4, 2016

725 by motakku »»
May 17, 5:36 PM

» Julius is annoying AF

BroDa2545 - Apr 24

21 by Okeanix »»
Apr 27, 4:29 PM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 18, 2016

1722 by Grazzerz »»
Apr 21, 10:54 PM

» Isn't it more realistic for Emilia to fall in love with Reinhard than Subaru? ( 1 2 )

Sanjay63773 - Apr 4

69 by Altofanime »»
Apr 20, 3:11 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.