Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Mushishi
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Jul 24, 2012 8:38 AM
Apr 2012
A lovely episode but very strange...
Having his wife/child reborn is a both depressing and uplifting. At least there's something left to live for, but the wife and child he knew are gone... and his sister and village that he loved and wished to visit for so long - had turned against him. Hopefully he came to love the new babies, but of course, it was left hanging so who knows what happened to any of them.
Oct 27, 2012 5:10 AM

May 2012
Damn this was a fantastic episode, such a sad end but than a sprout of happiness!
Jan 5, 2013 7:50 PM

Dec 2012
So in the end the wife and child were reincarnated? I guess that's kind of happy ending.
Living forever in that bamboo forest isn't so bad because it's pretty silent and peaceful. Plus, you don't have those nasty villagers who turn you away when they see what you are.
Feb 4, 2013 5:04 PM

Jan 2012
Ironic, his wife died so he could get back to the village, but the people in the village didn't welcome him back. Anyway, in the end it seems they were reborn, so it's alright.

Feb 6, 2013 9:20 AM

Jan 2012
Kind of a weird happy ending oO well still is one so I'm happy :D
May 19, 2013 10:02 PM

Jun 2008
Wow, what an episode. One of my favorites from this series. Almost ended on such a sad note, but in the end he got his family back and realized that they meant more to him than his village. It's a little weird, his wife is now a baby obviously, but it wasn't sad and that's important.
Jun 24, 2013 3:44 PM
Jul 2018
the writers were on drugs for this one?

making love to a bamboo tree? can't be that desperate for a child surely? hahaha
Jul 10, 2013 2:53 AM

May 2012
Mushi plant-human hybrids? Kind of creepy... Great episode
Jul 16, 2013 1:26 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
That was very touching and sad ;__; How Kisuke couldn't forget about the village, but the village had given up on him when he was finally able to go back, and all at the sacrifice of his wife and child. Often times, dreams and reality are too different, but once Kisuke realized it, it was too late. Not only that, but he felt responsible for his wife and child's death, even though no one can blame him for wanting to leave the bamboo forest. But at least the ending was bittersweet, he won't be completely alone anymore :)

Btw, I wasn't expecting the white bamboo mushi to crawl away like that after it was chopped down o_o
Jul 21, 2013 9:03 AM
Jun 2013
Once I read the episode description I knew the wife and kid was getting the axe. Can I have happy ending please. Why couldint they just live on with their happy life. No it seemed the guy had to learn the hard way by having his family die. I give it to the wife it shows how much she loved him by chopping down tree. Though maybe she should have saved some of that water. Also I cant really feel happy about the newborns since thats not his wife and daughter anymore and its also kinda creepy when you think about it. Since the baby he will raise use to be his wife.
Jul 23, 2013 7:52 PM

Aug 2010
This episode was so sad yet so beautiful. I really love some episodes in this show.

5/5
Aug 15, 2013 12:41 PM

Sep 2009
that was so sad when he buried his own family.. but the end....... i think they're come alive but as a baby?
Jan 8, 2014 10:28 AM

Dec 2012
Such a powerful episode, I definitely felt tears inbound when Ginko revisited the bamboo forest. That family was the kind that I see and think "Man, I hope they live happily ever after." Really one of the most emotional episodes yet.

I may be wrong about this, but I think that it was because Setsu and the child were buried that those babies were born. That is to say, that since they were bamboo children, they fertilized the graves they were buried in, which resulted in new life being born. Really a beautiful and bittersweet episode.
Jan 18, 2014 10:08 PM

Sep 2012
Being rejected by your own sister. The village should have given him a chance.

Seeing that bamboo crawl was creepy.
Jan 20, 2014 10:26 PM

May 2013
This was a great episode. Even though Kisuke may live in the forest for the rest of his life, he will not feel trapped anymore because he has his wife and daughter who were reborn. He was freed from that village.
Conan_KudoJan 20, 2014 10:32 PM
Armageddon was yesterday, today we have a problem.
Jan 23, 2014 3:35 AM

Feb 2013
Honestly, one of the best episodes I've seen. Emotionally I think it's the best. So many times heart strings were tugged and strung and ;_;..... Just really amazing. All from the realistic reaction of his sister being selfish and the villagers not accepting him, to the pure love his wife gave. The ending was so powerful... when they both had died I was just about to call it quits. I couldn't take it anymore, too much heartbreak in this anime.... then one of the most beautiful endings occurred and they were "reborn" again thanks to the new Mushi. Totally caught me off guard and I almost cried / did choke up a bit because of just how well-written that story/ending was.. Makes you think, where else in life would you get something that powerful emotionally. I went from down in the dumps from the rejection/him being stuck in the forest, to happiness because her love managed to cut down her tree/parent, to sadness because of their deaths, and to happiness again because of the resurrection.

I like how the ending is left to our imaginations as well, I like to think the babies are the mom and daughter, who will regain their memories slowly but surely. And hopefully the mom ages faster than the daughter too so it's not too weird lol, like it takes her 2 years to reach her previous age, and the daughter 2 years as well, then the timeline is normal again. Or maybe they're just 2 brand new babies, who knows. I like the previous ending better though because I sort of feel bad for the guy.. Anyway, wuteva.

Amazing episode, def. one of my favs. A bit confusing in the middle but it definitely knew how to play with my emotions..... the beautiful ending was beyond perfect imo. Just enough mystery and enough left up to the imagination..

10/10
✈️
Feb 6, 2014 9:13 PM

Oct 2013
bamboo kodomo huh
"Urushibara Ruka. The mannerisms and voice of a woman... No... More feminine than any woman. But he's a guy. Taller than Mayuri, but so very thin... But he's a guy. Looks great in a miko outfit... But he's a guy. It's already twilight And yet, it's so hot. The cicadas are crying. But... He's a guy."
Feb 11, 2014 4:00 PM

Aug 2012
You can never tell a thing's worth until it is gone.
Mar 18, 2014 11:23 PM

Aug 2013
Damn it that was depressing.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Mar 30, 2014 10:31 PM

Oct 2013
This was such a powerful episode! My favorite so far after the one which deals with Ginko's origin.
Apr 3, 2014 1:18 PM

Dec 2012
A few things left me confused, but overall that was a touching episode.
Apr 5, 2014 9:43 AM

Sep 2011
this and episode 4 are probably my favorites so far

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Apr 5, 2014 4:31 PM

Oct 2010
Holy shit, I thought that was gonna be a super sad ending for a while there. Though it looks like everything is gonna be ok with them.
Apr 12, 2014 7:45 PM

Jun 2010
i dont know if i'm suppose to be sad or happy,,,beautiful~
best ep so far :)
Apr 27, 2014 11:32 AM
Oct 2012
Wow, man, wow!

The first episode thus far that I would rate 5 full stars.
It had several moments that almost sent chills down my spine. Amazing combination of creepiness and powerful drama.
Apr 29, 2014 8:18 AM

Dec 2013
I love how this show delivers both sad and happy stories.
May 16, 2014 2:47 AM

May 2013
This episode hit hard...almost teared up.

I knew that the village wouldn't take him back but not even his sister? Made me mad.

Last few minutes brightened up the episode but I really hope that the revived/reincarnated wife and daughter bodies' quickly progress back to before they "died" and retain all their memories otherwise it'd be an unsatisfying bittersweet ending.
May 16, 2014 3:51 AM

May 2007
FrozenSoda said:
This episode hit hard...almost teared up.

I knew that the village wouldn't take him back but not even his sister? Made me mad.

Last few minutes brightened up the episode but I really hope that the revived/reincarnated wife and daughter bodies' quickly progress back to before they "died" and retain all their memories otherwise it'd be an unsatisfying bittersweet ending.

It's probably the unsatisfying bittersweet ending unfrotunately but instead he will have 2 "daughters"...his wife becoming one of them....so weird in so many levels.
May 18, 2014 5:17 PM

Mar 2014
i didn't like this episode, i couldn't believe they were serious when it showed the woman holding a bamboo sprout and that she birthed it,
didn't understand what was going on either
Jun 27, 2014 12:31 AM

May 2014
Absolutely beautiful. I got chills at the end of this episode.
Men always seem to think about their past before they die, as though he were frantically searching for proof that he truly lived.
Jul 10, 2014 10:18 AM

Nov 2013
I find it odd that people say every episode "this was a sad episode". Pretty much all of them have been sad or melancholic, has nobody picked up on this yet?
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Jul 10, 2014 11:27 PM

Mar 2012
Zepwich said:
This episode was pretty odd. The babies creeped me out.

Goddamn, and here I thought I was the only one who got creeped out since where the first page is full of comments on "happy/sad episode, etcetc". It may been an emotional show, but seriously, that was creepy. How the hell the females got pregnant in the first place?
skwok-ravenJul 10, 2014 11:30 PM

"Have you ever encounter a wild beast that guarantees to never bite anyone?" ~ Roronoa Zoro
Jul 15, 2014 7:06 PM

Oct 2013
can't figure out if I should be sad or happy T-T makes me sad to think about it
[/quote]
Jul 19, 2014 9:38 AM

Aug 2012
Now he can marry his daughter and his wife can be their daughter.
Happy end.
Jul 31, 2014 6:48 PM

Dec 2013
Really nice. Ending was interesting.
Sep 11, 2014 12:28 PM

Jul 2012
I've seen Mushi-shi a few times already, so I know it has some really sad, heart-wrenching things happen in multiple episodes, but for whatever reason, this time the ending to this episode really got to me. I don't usually get very emotional when watching things (the most I get is usually choked up), but I was full-on crying. Just...man...the ending hit me like a friggin' truck.
You can also find me at:
Wordpress
Tumblr
Sep 13, 2014 3:15 PM

Aug 2014
When the song started playing and the husband cried... it was so heart wrenching. ;-;
Sep 25, 2014 3:40 AM

Jan 2014
Amazing! And that bamboo tree behaving like
a centipede after being cut was hilarious! XD
It was a sad ending, because even though it
seems like his family will be reborn, I guess
that's not really the case. May be an equivalent
to plants' lives. His wife and daughter had just
left their 'seeds' and those newborns are not
really them... But if that's not the case, then
that actually was a happy ending, right? ^-^
Oct 11, 2014 11:29 AM
Feb 2014
lindo episódio
Oct 15, 2014 7:48 PM

Feb 2013
I had a feeling the mother wouldn't make it... but the baby... that's too tragic.

When that thing was cut down... it made like a tree and leave.
Oct 19, 2014 4:00 AM

Feb 2012
I feel trolled.
Oct 22, 2014 5:10 AM

Oct 2013
BurntJelly said:
When that thing was cut down... it made like a tree and leave.

Lmfao, this alone ruined the entire episode.

Nah, for real, this was truly beautiful. First episode in awhile to make me teary eyed, in fact. I thought this might actually also be the first episode in awhile to have a somewhat happy ending, but nope - Kisuke ends up losing his wife and daughter. In fact, it may be one of the most tragic episodes yet; Setsu killed what was essentially her father in an attempt to rescue Kisuke, but the village didn't even want him back anyway. He was perfectly happy with her, and her desperation destroyed everything. Damn, it's so sad.

If we assume the babies in the grave actually were Setsu and his child, it becomes far less tragic, but... that just doesn't make sense. Like a few others have said, they're likely new children. But I actually want to believe they aren't, because it's so damn sad.

Yeah, easily one of the best episodes. Vic Migogna appearing as Kisuke seals it.

e: I just realized, none of that would've happened if Ginko hadn't shown up and interfered. >_> Kisuke, Setsu, and their daughter would've lived a perfectly happy life, and Ginko went and SOILED IT. Makes one want to look back and ponder what other tragedies struck purely because Ginko got involved...

Not saying it's his fault; he did try to stop Setsu, after all. But still...
ZadionOct 22, 2014 5:24 AM

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Nov 9, 2014 6:32 AM

Jan 2014
Another great one.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Nov 26, 2014 4:35 PM

Jul 2012
Sucks that the entire village including even his sister abandoned him. At least he got a happier ending than what looked like what was going to happen :O
Dec 3, 2014 1:08 AM
▬▬ι═══════ﺤ

Feb 2012
Ah, what great characters Setsu and Kisuke were. I really liked this one.
"Be the change you wish to see in the world." ⛩️

Dec 21, 2014 12:04 AM

Jan 2014
Definitely one of the best episodes yet.
Dec 21, 2014 7:33 AM

Dec 2010
Ginko made this episode for me, I bet he poured the water he got earlier on so he could revive the bamboo forest.

@PBz0r she drank from the water, obviously
Dec 26, 2014 4:53 AM

Aug 2014
I didn't really get the ending. Was his family being reborn and why? Because the white bamboo came back? And wouldn't be weard to have his wife back as a baby?

Oh, pitiful shadow cloaked in darkness.
Thy actions cause men pain and suffering.
Thy hollow soul drowns in thy sins.
How would you like to see what death is like?
-Enma Ai
Jan 19, 2015 5:16 PM
Feb 2014
Most touching episode in the series so far
Jan 27, 2015 10:56 AM

Jul 2014
Death and rebirth.
Not being able to let go of the past and embracing the present.
This episode made me so uneasy. That ending made my jaw drop and gave me goosebumps.

5/5
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mushishi Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

zippy - Feb 10, 2008

175 by reus23shinji »»
Yesterday, 7:12 PM

Poll: » Mushishi Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

zippy - Feb 9, 2008

136 by reus23shinji »»
Yesterday, 6:45 PM

Poll: » Mushishi Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

zippy - Feb 6, 2008

150 by reus23shinji »»
May 11, 6:32 PM

Poll: » Mushishi Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

zippy - Feb 2, 2008

157 by hinasuns »»
Mar 21, 7:17 PM

Poll: » Mushishi Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 )

zippy - Feb 10, 2008

93 by MajedM1999 »»
Mar 16, 11:41 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.