Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Mushishi
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Feb 6, 2008 2:19 PM
Aug 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Like last episode rather sad, although if they baby sprouts become the mom and child again that would be ok.
Feb 21, 2008 9:13 AM

Feb 2008
Loved this episode, it had such a touching story.
I found it really weird, when the white bamboo started crawling so fast =P
Mar 29, 2008 9:44 AM

Feb 2008
LOL! This episode is good! But, what's that?! It was creepy in the end! There was a baby crying their grave?!!! HAHA! XD LOL!
Apr 11, 2008 8:05 AM

Jan 2008
babykeiji said:
It was creepy in the end! There was a baby crying their grave?!!!

The two babies were the mom and child! ^^

I love this episode. I cried so much, and then that ending came and I cried even more cause I was so happy for them ^^
Apr 16, 2008 9:02 AM

Sep 2007
I think it was a happy end.
A little weird but happy. ^^
Jun 12, 2008 7:27 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
this story is worthy of being passed down to our children....
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Jul 30, 2008 3:28 PM

Oct 2007
:o So they reborn in the end. Such a great story. ^^

Aug 12, 2008 1:07 AM

Mar 2008
I got a grasp on most episodes until now but here was one I simply didn't understand.

First of all, when the main guy in this episode got lost in the forest, he was a little kid. Really, he was around 12, 13 years old. According to the guy himself that was 3 years ago. Wouldn't you say that's a little early to have kids? Second, that tree made Setsu's mom pregnant. How'd that ever happen? I don't expect them to explain in detail but why did the woman even go there. Was she possesed by the Mushi? Did she drink its water? I would've liked to know. Probably this has been going on for more generations then we've seen, but it still had to start somewhere. Then, the ending. Setsu cut the tree, which should've been impossible for her. No explanation. Then the tree turns out to be Setsu's mom. How did she turn into a tree? And where'd the original tree go? Setsu apparently died because she couldn't live without the main tree being there, and she and the tree (her mom) were buried next to eachother by the guy who's name I forgot (did he have name at all?). Then they were apparently reborn thanks to the new mushi-tree. It must've fed them some of its water again. I think. Then again, plants die as well. There were long dead. They couldn't have survived. Which probably means it wasn't them who were reborn, but it still makes you wonder why two of those babies just appeared out of nowehere.

There was no reason for everything this time, it was all pretty farfetched and it just didn't really fit in my opinion. Usually the show just explains everything and then it all comes together beautifully, but not now. It could be I missed the point here and there but to me right now this is one of the weakest episodes yet. Then again, this is one of the best shows I've seen, so that's not really hard to do.
PBz0rAug 12, 2008 1:55 AM
Aug 14, 2008 3:42 AM

Jan 2008
A sad/happy-ish ending ;_;
Aug 20, 2008 5:37 PM

Jun 2008
Sad.... amazingly sad T_T
The metaphors in this Anime kinda make it get driven in deep... liek the one about the tree being Setsu's mother and stuff T__T

At least the end was happy-ish ;_;

Sig WILL change soon~
Nov 23, 2008 6:25 PM

May 2008
my favorite ep so far.

Apr 21, 2009 12:27 PM

Aug 2007
That was the most beautiful episode

May 2, 2009 10:49 PM

Jan 2009
man that was just too much. I felt so sad when the mother and child died and seeing the dad having the burden of it all. It really pulled on your heart string. Thank god the mother and child are being reborn which is a semi good ending leaving it up to imagination what happens after.
Jul 13, 2009 11:03 PM
Jul 2008
There's no reason to be sad at all, there was salvation at end of the ep. The wife and child were buried and as they were born by the will of the white bamboo they were reborn as they were seeds in the ground to a new life as babies. So don't threat, because he is able to rejoice over the new lives given to the wife and child.
"To see with eyes unclouded by hate"

-Prince Ashitaka, "Princess Mononoke"
Jul 20, 2009 5:49 AM

May 2008
The last episodes seemed to be crueler.
Jul 22, 2009 10:00 AM

Apr 2009
Beautiful, absolutely beautiful. That was the happiest/saddest episode of Mushishi yet, and probably my favorite so far. Although its hard to tell as most of the eps so far were amazing.

Jul 25, 2009 8:55 PM

Sep 2008
WOW! Amazing episode! The tree crawling after being cut was very creepy xD
But I loved this episode and I did not expect the end of it! :O

*^*Random Rant*^*
Sep 11, 2009 10:01 AM

Nov 2007
it was an ok episode. :)
Oct 7, 2009 12:24 AM

Oct 2008
Wow, great episode o.o
Nov 12, 2009 6:54 PM
May 2009
amazing episode, this show is breathtaking
Dec 12, 2009 7:52 PM
Oct 2009
mind rape
Free_CandyDec 16, 2009 5:43 PM
Feb 18, 2010 5:03 PM

Sep 2008
Another amazing episode. Totally saw that coming.
Mar 15, 2010 9:34 AM

Feb 2008
Oh wow, tree babies.
Apr 18, 2010 9:57 AM
Mar 2010
Did they become alive?
Apr 29, 2010 1:39 AM

Jul 2009
FoxInTheBox said:
Did they become alive?

LolitaDecay said:
Oh wow, tree babies.

Two awesome quotes. LOL.
May 10, 2010 3:35 PM

Aug 2009
This episode was pretty odd. The babies creeped me out.
May 15, 2010 12:18 PM

Jan 2010
wait...so did the wie die or not?
and what's he gonna do with so many babies xD

anyway,one of the weirdest episodes so far...beautiful but weird :)

5/5
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)
May 30, 2010 5:07 PM

Apr 2008
PBz0r said:
I got a grasp on most episodes until now but here was one I simply didn't understand.

First of all, when the main guy in this episode got lost in the forest, he was a little kid. Really, he was around 12, 13 years old. According to the guy himself that was 3 years ago. Wouldn't you say that's a little early to have kids? Second, that tree made Setsu's mom pregnant. How'd that ever happen? I don't expect them to explain in detail but why did the woman even go there. Was she possesed by the Mushi? Did she drink its water? I would've liked to know. Probably this has been going on for more generations then we've seen, but it still had to start somewhere. Then, the ending. Setsu cut the tree, which should've been impossible for her. No explanation. Then the tree turns out to be Setsu's mom. How did she turn into a tree? And where'd the original tree go? Setsu apparently died because she couldn't live without the main tree being there, and she and the tree (her mom) were buried next to eachother by the guy who's name I forgot (did he have name at all?). Then they were apparently reborn thanks to the new mushi-tree. It must've fed them some of its water again. I think. Then again, plants die as well. There were long dead. They couldn't have survived. Which probably means it wasn't them who were reborn, but it still makes you wonder why two of those babies just appeared out of nowehere.

There was no reason for everything this time, it was all pretty farfetched and it just didn't really fit in my opinion. Usually the show just explains everything and then it all comes together beautifully, but not now. It could be I missed the point here and there but to me right now this is one of the weakest episodes yet. Then again, this is one of the best shows I've seen, so that's not really hard to do.

Ok... No one tried to awnser you, I gotta try. But chances are I'm not completly correct =/.

1) He never said it had been 3 years since he lost himself there, just that it's been 3 years since no one passed by. Or "3 years since my daughter was born and scared all villagers away for ever...". And I don't think he was 12 when he got lost, he looked like more to 10, maybe 9. And 15, placed in "medieval" Japan, maybe a good age to get married and have kids... DIfferent times, no?

2) Well, ahn... I can only guess... The women and the mushi must have entered in connection... Idk... But I think it started with her....

3) She cut the tree, even though it was impossible for her. Don't that say something? I think her wish to make her husband's wish come true gave her power to go against her body. Maybe it was "the spirit winning over the body, or the human part winning over the mushi part" - even though the human part liked the tree anyhow... And I think the tree was Setsu's father... Not mother...
And then , without the water, her strenght/life fade and she "died", just like her daughter. Maybe, the central mushi bamboo went somewhere to recover, and then came back, maybe it had some seed that grew after some time at that forest. And the two girls, who could have been in a "hibernating-low-life" state, came back to life, or the remains of them gave birth again to new kids (something like fenix.. Idk...).

Well, I guess this is it. That's what the episode made me think. I can be wrong, but I wanted to show what I thought, cause I think that claiming that the episode had no reason, is just, well, not fair =/... It was good like the other episodes, "mushishi" like. And don't forget... Mushi are not tree. Mushi are not animal, or anything. Mushi are mushi. You can't predict what they do or what will happen to them, you are not a mushishi...
JujubaSep 16, 2010 6:10 PM

Jun 14, 2010 4:30 PM

Oct 2009
what an amazing and beatifull episode!!
Jul 16, 2010 12:30 PM
Feb 2009
This show finally managed to make me cry...a truly beautiful tale worth being passed from generation to generation.

Also, you guys have really low standards for "weird" I found this completely normal folklore.
Aug 7, 2010 2:06 AM

Aug 2009
What an awesome tree! It's the Mexican Fighting Tree!
But it was sad for Kisuke. Nobody wanted him in his cherised town.
Aug 15, 2010 9:18 AM

Jun 2010
TitanioVerde said:
But it was sad for Kisuke. Nobody wanted him in his cherised town.

The way his sister reacted was a bit selfish. I understand that she was very scared, but still...

I hope that the new seeds wasn't Kisuke's actual wife and child reborn, To raise your own wife... it's better of too be two new little lives.
Oct 24, 2010 7:15 AM
Jun 2008
LolitaDecay said:
Oh wow, tree babies.

Hahahaha, QFT.

I hated the sister in this, she was so incredibly selfish :<
Nov 12, 2010 5:52 PM

Oct 2010
SuperCoolBros said:
Also, you guys have really low standards for "weird" I found this completely normal folklore.

Exactly. I don't think scrutiny and long elaboration is needed for this kind of story.

And actually I'm kind of surprised, I think this is my favorite episode so far. I don't fall in love as deeply with this series as most people here, but this episode is very absorbing. It's also a delight seeing characters who has strength inside, not like several previous episode where they kind of just accept the way things are.
Dec 12, 2010 4:35 AM

Sep 2010
Oh, I really enjoyed this one! I loved how the villagers refused them and how the forest was their true family, who forgives and gives home.. and birth. Nature just is so. Mesmerising.
Jan 1, 2011 2:38 AM

Jan 2009
Wow awesome ep. So tragic and the ending gave me the chills.

Jan 5, 2011 7:59 PM

Aug 2010
Great episode symbolically, but as far as practicality goes...
That really sucks. Now he has two children to raise, without the help of the villagers or anyone else. Is he going to uh... re-marry his new "daughter" wife?

Oh well, I suppose it isn't meant to be practical.
Jan 20, 2011 8:34 PM

Apr 2007
This has to be my favorite episode so far. I really loved the story and the ending was cute.
I would have preferred if the wife was revived as she was before she died instead of as a baby, but the way it was done makes more sense.
MonochromeJan 20, 2011 8:37 PM
Feb 3, 2011 7:29 PM

Nov 2009
I love this show. I don't know why I never finished it a few years ago.

The last 5 minutes gave me so many mood swings I think I understand what it's like to be a woman.
Feb 23, 2011 9:56 PM

May 2010
Beautiful episode.

This was really though-provoking coz it made me think what to do after your decisions' consequences.

When the white bamboo crawled, it looked like a worm. lol

It was sad when he said they crumbled liked dead trees

but when I just heard those babies' cries, I was amazed and felt happy for the man.

Great ending as it leaves questions about what would happen to his life with those babies. :)
Apr 27, 2011 8:23 AM

Jul 2009
This one was beautiful while being creepy at the same time and sad while being happy at the same time, my emotions didn't know what was going on. It was sad that the action which made Kisuke give up on the village ended up in his wife dying (the grass isn't always greener eh?) but I assume they were reborn because a singular mushi returned and spread the water around again.
May 15, 2011 8:55 AM

Jun 2009
This episode was really special. While it was clearly influenced by folklore, it made my mood fluctuate as it was nothing. I felt sad, intriguing, hopeful, surprising and finally, happy, in some way, everything in the same episode.

It’s breathtaking.
I think, then procrastinate.
Therefore, I am.
May 17, 2011 11:13 AM

Dec 2009
Sad episode. I cried when I heard he said that he buried his wife and daughter. And I hate his sister.

Sep 1, 2011 9:43 AM

Mar 2011
Meh wasn't that great. Didn't unfold and come together as much as the other episodes ; left some things unanswered.

Looked beautiful, but too many annoying babies crying.
Nov 27, 2011 7:03 AM

Mar 2009
Keep in mind that he can leave the forest now, he just have to make sure not to drink from the new white bamboo trees. So he can be the gateway between the forest and the village to gather resources and take care of the babies. (Tho the village seem to desert him, I guess he can make it work out over time).
Dec 30, 2011 7:41 AM
Feb 2011
Mushishi has had, up till now, like 2/3 "decent" episodes, 1/6th "Nice" episodes, but then theres the 1/6th that are AMAZING episodes. This one and the first two are ones that I recall easily, also the one that explained Ginko's past, but I forget the number. (Also I hope my math is correct lol)

I can't stand the OP song for some reason, but I LOVE these ED themes. This one is especially great..
002173Dec 30, 2011 7:47 AM
Jan 1, 2012 8:25 PM

May 2010
So his wife is now the same age as daughter? and his wife is an infant.
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Apr 13, 2012 6:38 PM

Jul 2011
fiane said:
SuperCoolBros said:

Exactly. I don't think scrutiny and long elaboration is needed for this kind of story.

And actually I'm kind of surprised, I think this is my favorite episode so far. I don't fall in love as deeply with this series as most people here, but this episode is very absorbing.

I agree. This is the first episode that made me tear up a bit; when he said that his wife and child died. :(
Jun 30, 2012 4:20 PM

Aug 2010
So in the end he was rejected by his village, tear jerking episode.
Jul 19, 2012 1:04 PM

Mar 2010
truly sad story but happy ending i guess :]
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mushishi Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

zippy - Feb 10, 2008

175 by reus23shinji »»
Yesterday, 7:12 PM

Poll: » Mushishi Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

zippy - Feb 9, 2008

136 by reus23shinji »»
Yesterday, 6:45 PM

Poll: » Mushishi Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

zippy - Feb 6, 2008

150 by reus23shinji »»
May 11, 6:32 PM

Poll: » Mushishi Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

zippy - Feb 2, 2008

157 by hinasuns »»
Mar 21, 7:17 PM

Poll: » Mushishi Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 )

zippy - Feb 10, 2008

93 by MajedM1999 »»
Mar 16, 11:41 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.