Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Mushishi
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Feb 6, 2008 2:18 PM
Aug 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Well, pretty much knew the guy would go back. Practically a trend among these characters, they all want to return to the way it was.
Feb 21, 2008 4:24 AM

Feb 2008
True =P
Very good episode. I wonder if we'll find out about who taught Ginko, all the knows about Mushis.
Mar 29, 2008 8:41 AM

Feb 2008
Well, I think it was Nui. She had recorded all she knows about Nui and Ginko would finally read all about it. And the narration, the old lady. It was probably Nui. ^__^

Mushi-shi is the best occupation you can have in the world! I hope I can be one. Where school can I have that course for college? hahaha!
May 17, 2008 7:32 AM

Sep 2007
I really enjoyed this episode, the Mushi was really interesting in how it breaks.
Jun 18, 2008 6:59 AM

Mar 2008
babykeiji said:
Well, I think it was Nui. She had recorded all she knows about [mushi] and Ginko would finally read all about it. And the narration, the old lady. It was probably Nui. ^__^!

oo yeah that makes sense! i was wondering that after the last episode.
Jul 30, 2008 2:23 PM

Oct 2007
Mushis are indeed unique from anything else. So many different kinds.

Aug 13, 2008 7:25 PM

Jan 2008
Poor guy, living all these years only to find out that she had actually died 3years ago. :(
Aug 15, 2008 5:45 PM

Jun 2008
Aww that was sad T~T.... Ginko couldn't heal her ._.

This show is so interesting.... it kinda keeps you guessing @_@

Sig WILL change soon~
Oct 20, 2008 3:06 AM

Feb 2008
First time an episode actually ended up with a bad end.
Oct 29, 2008 4:06 PM
Apr 2008
Veronin said:

<_<

Almost every episode has ended in a bad way.
'Cept for the freaky ear monster thingies.
Also the freaky eye thingies.

...Oh, and the swamp thingy.

That's about it.
Jun 15, 2009 2:20 PM

Jun 2009
i was fascinated with the bridge of mushis..
and i think i can understand why the guy stepped back
it's.so.sad..
Jul 13, 2009 8:30 AM

Jan 2008
I hated the girl's mother.
Jul 22, 2009 9:28 AM

Apr 2009
She was already dead. That was a good twist, it took me off guard.

Aug 27, 2009 12:39 PM

Jul 2009
sad ending ...poor guy T_T
Oct 30, 2009 2:25 PM

Aug 2008
humans are like this, they can't often can't go forward because of those feelings. sigh. poor him.
Nov 2, 2009 2:48 PM
Jul 2009
This episode was fantastic and intresting seeing how Ginko became a Mushi master.

Dec 12, 2009 11:25 AM
Oct 2009
RedFlameHaze said:
This episode was fantastic and intresting seeing how Ginko became a Mushi master.

lol wrong episode?

lol Hana eat brains shes already dead but still living? thats not Mushi...thats just zombie..
Jan 31, 2010 2:17 PM

Nov 2008
That must be very painful to live all these years with someone we love that has become an empty shell. And even more painful to learn that she died 3 years ago and she was dead all these years.
I can easily understand his last decision in the end.
May 7, 2010 4:12 PM

Aug 2009
This was a really sad episode, The only problem I have with this series is that allot of the characters look the same. It can get a little confusing at times.
May 14, 2010 12:40 PM

Jan 2010
this is the saddest story yet i think :(,and one of the best episodes of the season

too bad that poor guy wasn't smart enough to realise that the person that wa next to him these 3 years wasn't really the person he loved,so there was no reason for him to go back and practically comit suicide

5/5
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)
May 24, 2010 8:10 PM

Apr 2008
clannad4ever said:
this is the saddest story yet i think :(,and one of the best episodes of the season

too bad that poor guy wasn't smart enough to realise that the person that wa next to him these 3 years wasn't really the person he loved,so there was no reason for him to go back and practically comit suicide

5/5

I think... it's not a matter of being smart or not... It's just what he wanted to belive. It's just that the thought of leaving all behind, deny everything that made him live so far must be too harsh.
He could even had a point... Ginko knows a lot about Mushis, but what if he doesn't know everything? I think he doesn't, and he's always learning more and more.

Anyway, is anyone getting the feeling Mushishi is based on a Gaia Hipothesis? (Something like that http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaia_hypothesis)

Oct 24, 2010 5:51 AM
Jun 2008
I....didn't expect Hana to be dead :(

Her mother was such a douche >:<. She reminded me of one of the villains from Hell Girl - the one with the doll fixation.
Nov 12, 2010 5:20 PM

Oct 2010
Hmm I agree with the first poster that it's still about people loving the status quo.
I love the bridge, very nostalgic.
Dec 30, 2010 1:48 AM

Jan 2009
So the mushi possess human corpses eh? Creeeepy....

Tragic ep though.

Jan 5, 2011 7:34 PM

Aug 2010
Veronin said:

Forgetting the guy whose dreams killed his family, neighbors, village, and then killed himself with his sword?
Jan 20, 2011 9:45 AM

May 2010
Another great episode with a sad ending.

For all those years you loved someone only to find out that your loving a soulless person.

It made me thought that it was really a hard decision for Zen to choose.

The way things before or just let it be and move forward?

Unfortunately, he listened to his feelings but I understand him.

But what's bad is he'll make another person sad after 20 years. (Assuming the farmer will took good care of him)
Apr 27, 2011 6:52 AM

Jul 2009
This episode was really tragic and the music throughout was really haunting, I loved it.
May 14, 2011 11:37 AM

Jun 2009
Ah, it was really sad episode. Living because of someone that’s actually dead, merely an empty shell, even when you believed they were alive if only to seek comfort, must be hard.

Zen must’ve felt like all those years waiting weren’t nothing if Hana wasn’t there. He couldn’t change and just throw away her memory. She was alive, then, giving him the strength to continue living, believing. After Hana was gone, there’s nothing left. One always wants to go back to the times in which everything was easier, in which someone was there for you; even though, deep down, you know such thing it’s not possible. I can comprehend his feelings. It’s only natural of humans, clinging to memories that won’t return.
I think, then procrastinate.
Therefore, I am.
May 17, 2011 10:47 AM

Dec 2009
That's a sad ending

Aug 19, 2011 11:42 PM

Jul 2011
When Ginko was trying to find Hana what the hell did he show that guy to identify her? It looked like a photograph but... but... I'm so confused.

But that's not the point, and the episode, like all the others, was fantastic, even if it was one of the more depressing ones.
Aug 27, 2011 8:01 PM

Mar 2011
This episode had an eerie atmosphere and haunting music. Cool stuff them zombie-esque possessing mushi.
Sep 6, 2011 10:32 PM

Sep 2008
Thillygooth said:
Veronin said:

Forgetting the guy whose dreams killed his family, neighbors, village, and then killed himself with his sword?

that was one of my fav episodes lol
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Jan 9, 2012 2:23 AM

Jul 2008
ashllee said:
babykeiji said:
Well, I think it was Nui. She had recorded all she knows about [mushi] and Ginko would finally read all about it. And the narration, the old lady. It was probably Nui. ^__^!

But didn't he forget everything at the end of that episode? He forgot about Nui, what mushi were and even his name.
Jan 11, 2012 11:04 PM
Feb 2011
WolfWood37 said:
ashllee said:
babykeiji said:
But didn't he forget everything at the end of that episode? He forgot about Nui, what mushi were and even his name.

He did remember what he ought to do should he forget his name. Remember the last part? I think he didn't forget everything.

I'm interested in what would happen to the guy after returning to his village in that empty state. He's an outcast and all, and the villagers can't determine whether he's dead or living. I wonder who's going to take care of him. It's sad his life was wasted for just one girl.
Mar 4, 2012 3:42 AM

Sep 2008
KatsuraRen said:
Mushis are indeed unique from anything else. So many different kinds.

The mushi are definitely part of what make this series so interesting, next to the actual characters.

Zepwich said:
This was a really sad episode, The only problem I have with this series is that allot of the characters look the same. It can get a little confusing at times.

There's a limit to how distinguishable you can make characters when you adhere to the reality of how most of the people in feudal Japan (that looks to be about when this series takes place) wore plain robes and had short black hair (unless they were samurai or royalty or something other than someone on the bottom of the social hierarchy).
Mar 4, 2012 12:58 PM

Sep 2008
Zepwich said:

There's a limit to how distinguishable you can make characters when you adhere to the reality of how most of the people in feudal Japan (that looks to be about when this series takes place) wore plain robes and had short black hair (unless they were samurai or royalty or something other than someone on the bottom of the social hierarchy).

I think its more like the art style gives that effect deliberately
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Jun 30, 2012 3:43 PM

Aug 2010
Rather mysterious episode.
Oct 27, 2012 4:48 AM

May 2012
Just an amazing story but quite sad indeed :'(
Oct 29, 2012 7:36 PM

Sep 2010
It was a sad ending, but they are necessary some times to keep the show interesting. It would be too predictable if Ginko was able to save them every time. I still liked it.
Jan 5, 2013 2:01 PM

Dec 2012
Hana's mother only wanted her just to be used for something selfish. Zen should've moved on and crossed that bridge and leave those mean people.
Feb 4, 2013 4:42 PM

Jan 2012
That guys love for Hana was very strong. The truth that she died 3 years ago was very sad.

May 19, 2013 9:33 PM

Jun 2008
Sad, sad episode. This episode was like dealing with a loved one in a coma, you cannot let go of that hope that they're still in there. In the end, the inability to let go led Zen to step backwards and return to the village perpetuating that cycle for possibly 20 years.
May 30, 2013 7:58 AM

May 2013
When the truth is too hard to bear we tent to illude ourselves with false beliefs and hope to ease the pain. Yet this hope only made him to make the same mistake as Hanna did.. It came to my notice that quite often people get fooled by the Mushi's temptation's while Ginko's trying to guide them. He should try to become better prepared to such.
Jul 9, 2013 9:31 AM

Apr 2009
I'm currently making my way through the series, and this has been a definite highlight for me. As a lot of people have said, it is a sad episode, but it struck a real chord with me. The way the music is utilised in this show is nothing short of breathtaking.
Jul 16, 2013 12:38 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Hana's mother cutting down the bridge...really now? What a selfish person. Poor Zen. He was already ostracized by the village, and then he ended up dying. As frustrating as it was to see him step back, it makes sense because he's lost his raison d'etre, which is a huge blow to him. It's unfortunate that he hasn't really lived a happy life at all.
Jul 21, 2013 12:31 AM
Jun 2013
Two lovers die because of family selfishness. I give it to the man he stood by her for 3 years even though he was unsure if she was going to be ok or not. To bad it turned out she was dead the whole time. I can understand why he let himself die. His whole reason for living was taking away from him and once that last bit of hope died right in front of him he just couldint go on. It seemed this show has more unhappy ends then happy ones. I hope it evens out later on cause man I need some happy.
Jul 21, 2013 2:39 AM

Sep 2008
souledge94 said:
Two lovers die because of family selfishness. I give it to the man he stood by her for 3 years even though he was unsure if she was going to be ok or not. To bad it turned out she was dead the whole time. I can understand why he let himself die. His whole reason for living was taking away from him and once that last bit of hope died right in front of him he just couldint go on. It seemed this show has more unhappy ends then happy ones. I hope it evens out later on cause man I need some happy.

The way I saw it, he was unable to let go. Loss of a loved one is a natural phenomenon, but the guy in this episode couldnt get over it. He kept on clinging to her even when it was clear that she was gone for good. I felt that the bridge was symbolic, in the sense that it represented that 'journey' or choice of accepting the loss and leaving things behind, to move ahead in life or to hesitate/turn back and 'fall down' for good. reminds me of The Fountain.
Jul 23, 2013 5:24 PM
Jun 2013
koreye said:
souledge94 said:

The way I saw it, he was unable to let go. Loss of a loved one is a natural phenomenon, but the guy in this episode couldnt get over it. He kept on clinging to her even when it was clear that she was gone for good. I felt that the bridge was symbolic, in the sense that it represented that 'journey' or choice of accepting the loss and leaving things behind, to move ahead in life or to hesitate/turn back and 'fall down' for good. reminds me of The Fountain.

Yea but leaving things behind is pretty hard especially when that thing was your whole life. He proboly had a hint of guilt as well since he proboly felt like he let her fall.
Jul 28, 2013 2:50 AM

Aug 2012
I think the message is: sometimes you just have to move on, no matter how tragic your loss was; for your own good.
Jul 28, 2013 11:26 AM

Sep 2008
a_new_challenger said:
I think the message is: sometimes you just have to move on, no matter how tragic your loss was; for your own good.

yeah, and I've noticed that message in some of the other episodes as well. Like that pillow guy; but lets not talk about that guy, he literally lost everything he knew and loved in his life. Man, that really tore me up.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mushishi Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

zippy - Feb 10, 2008

175 by reus23shinji »»
May 15, 7:12 PM

Poll: » Mushishi Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

zippy - Feb 9, 2008

136 by reus23shinji »»
May 15, 6:45 PM

Poll: » Mushishi Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

zippy - Feb 6, 2008

150 by reus23shinji »»
May 11, 6:32 PM

Poll: » Mushishi Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

zippy - Feb 6, 2008

159 by Nuikorakabiri »»
Apr 22, 12:03 PM

Poll: » Mushishi Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

zippy - Feb 2, 2008

156 by hinasuns »»
Mar 21, 7:17 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.