Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Mushishi
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Jul 6, 2019 6:23 PM
Apr 2016
OH GOD that was an amazing backstory, Ginko's past, origin of everything about him. This is probably my favorite episode so far. I honestly felt bad for the old man at the end, he was so nice, Ginko left without saying a word...
Aug 14, 2019 1:18 AM

Oct 2016
Kinda sad that he lost all his memories of Nui :'(
koalabenettAug 14, 2019 1:58 AM

Aug 14, 2019 1:18 AM

Oct 2016
amanakeet said:
Kinda sad that he lost all his memories of Nui :'(

Btw, is the person narrating the start in the first few episodes Nui ?
koalabenettAug 14, 2019 1:58 AM

Aug 14, 2019 1:20 AM

Oct 2016
2ego said:
OH GOD that was an amazing backstory, Ginko's past, origin of everything about him. This is probably my favorite episode so far. I honestly felt bad for the old man at the end, he was so nice, Ginko left without saying a word...

Yeah same, and the ending song after that gave me goosebumps along with a feeling of emptiness. Mushishi endings never fail to do that. Can someone recommend me more atmostpheric animes like Mushishi ? I know one, Nastume Yuujinchou, but still nothing I have known comes close to Mushishi. It calms my soul.

Aug 30, 2019 4:52 PM

Sep 2017
i was watching this whole episode thinking that we were watching young, long-haired, kinda feral Ginko, and I was LOVING it... until turns out that's not Ginko, it's an old lady. i feel DECEIVED. BETRAYED, even

she even acted JUST. LIKE. GINKO.
Sep 8, 2019 9:03 AM

Jul 2019
Now that is one hell of an origin story. Almost sad, but as we have learned here, just accept things as they are.
Sep 27, 2019 10:36 AM

Sep 2018
The story of Ginko is interesting, but also very sad. The narration, fortunately, has an atmosphere that is partly amusing, without its being associated with the story told, and this partly raises the mood of those watching this episode. Excellent series, no doubt about it.
Dec 3, 2019 1:41 PM

Apr 2014
DalPuri said:
For those of you who are confused about Tokoyami and Ginko (mushi), I think of it like this. Tokoyami is the complete darkness where Ginko resides. You can think of it like the water in which the eyeless fish lives, but remember that it is essentially alive too. The Ginko's light takes the eyes of living things, and slowly turns them into Tokoyami, sustaining it. The Tokoyami attracts mushi which the Ginko eats, which in turn gives it it's light. They have a symbiotic relationship. Hope that helps people.

this helped a lot lol i was so confused.

dang aight that’s a pretty unique backstory
Mar 26, 2020 3:15 PM

Feb 2017
This episode really shines a light on Ginko's origin as a Mushi-shi.

Apr 8, 2020 2:06 AM

Aug 2018
Most amazing episode so far, we finaly got to see Ginko's past and great character development
Apr 10, 2020 11:35 PM
Oct 2018
At first I thought it was the kid from the last episode (nope, just all kids look the same in this show) but once we saw the fish and woman all with white hair and green eyes I knew!! Wowwww

Awesome to get a backstory on Ginko. The one thing for me that this show has been missing was character development, so this was a really interesting episode to see how he became Ginko. One of my favorites yet.
May 28, 2020 8:33 PM

Aug 2019
OH HOLY. This was Ginko's background story arc, dear lord that was tragic :c
i'm so happy they dedicated at least 1 episode to revealing his origin and everything makes so much sense now. Can't help but feel bad for the guy now, after his mothering dying and watching his guardian commit suicide while he gets sucked up by darkness, later forgetting EVERYTHING is fucking tragic.
I guess this kinda adds up as he's seems very against when it comes to suicide and is quick to think of any other way to help someone prevent their own death. This could be from witnessing Nui death?????
Jun 16, 2020 11:31 AM
May 2020
Can enyone explain me (i am kida dumb) how in ep2 Ginko gave a girl one eye (?) And it looked like he had both eyes and because he gave that eye to her he has now one.
But in this episode he grew up with one eye and then after the action in ep2 he would have zero eyes.
Please, i cant find the anwser online.
Jul 22, 2020 12:17 PM
May 2020
I am so dumb his one eye was fake XD sorry
Oct 16, 2020 12:23 AM

Jan 2019
Great to see Ginkos backstory. I was wondering if we’ll ever see it because every episode is disjointed, but I was wrong. Nonetheless, that was a good episode. I’m starting to realize just how eerie the mushi are and the music was really nice this episode.
Dec 8, 2020 5:13 PM

Sep 2020
this is my favorite episode so far, from the clever backstory to Nue disappearing and the character development was on point....

"𝒮𝑜𝓂𝑒𝓉𝒾𝓂𝑒𝓈, 𝓎𝑜𝓊 𝒸𝒶𝓃'𝓉 𝓂𝑜𝓋𝑒 𝒻𝑜𝓇𝓌𝒶𝓇𝒹 𝓌𝒾𝓉𝒽𝑜𝓊𝓉 𝒸𝓁𝑜𝓈𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝒹𝑜𝑜𝓇 𝒷𝑒𝒽𝒾𝓃𝒹 𝓎𝑜𝓊."- 𝑅𝑒𝒾 𝒦𝒾𝓇𝒾𝓎𝒶𝓂𝒶

Feb 9, 2021 12:27 PM

Jan 2021
I think it's pretty sad how we (the viewer) know his backstory but he doesn't remember anything else about his life :(
Feb 17, 2021 7:48 AM

Apr 2019
LOAD said:
DalPuri said:
For those of you who are confused about Tokoyami and Ginko (mushi), I think of it like this. Tokoyami is the complete darkness where Ginko resides. You can think of it like the water in which the eyeless fish lives, but remember that it is essentially alive too. The Ginko's light takes the eyes of living things, and slowly turns them into Tokoyami, sustaining it. The Tokoyami attracts mushi which the Ginko eats, which in turn gives it it's light. They have a symbiotic relationship. Hope that helps people.

this helped a lot lol i was so confused.

dang aight that’s a pretty unique backstory
Same, thanks hero.

Apr 10, 2021 12:17 PM

Jan 2020
Load of metaphysical crap for me, but what I get is if Ginko managed to remember his old name he can escape from Tokoyami.
Apr 10, 2021 12:20 PM

Jan 2020
The only missing thing from this show is a Mushi battle. Kuchinawa vs Tokoyami/Ginko would be great...
Jun 30, 2021 6:16 PM
May 2019
Finally we get the Background story for Ginko and it was sad !
Jul 7, 2021 12:27 PM

Jan 2021
Ginko was funny when he was a kid hahaha. Ginko.. we finally know his real name, his past and the origin of 'Ginko'.

When he was little, he kept wandering with his mother, then suddenly his mother died. Of course after that he had no purpose in life and felt lonely. Met Nui, having a place to return to and living in, made him feel alive again. But sadly, again.. he was left alone. And because of his eye condition which attracts the mushi, he decided to not to live with the man who helped him.

Actually I think his encounter with Nui was sad and painful. But at least both Nui and Ginko could covered each other's loneliness and laughed for a while.

If Ginko hadn't chased Nui into that darkness, he would have been able to live with the man who helped him. Having someone and a place to return to and living in, the thing he wanted. But.. because that all happened, he became Ginko the mushishi. He helped many people.

Everything always has a good and a bad side.

Edit: I just got it. This episode answered my own question in episode 2 about Ginko's artificial eye.
hanakocheeksJul 7, 2021 12:35 PM

Feb 10, 2022 9:39 AM
Nov 2020
Nice ginko backstory, can’t wait to se what happens.
Feb 21, 2022 1:47 PM

Jan 2010
The beginnings of the wanderlust, huh? Though, it was borne out of necessity rather than desire. Still, it's interesting how the show managed a bit of comedy while still keeping the serious tone overall.
Jun 13, 2022 3:55 PM
Feb 2022
Esse episodio é bom pra burro
Dec 7, 2022 7:49 AM

Aug 2022
Great backstory. Also I really like Nui.
Apr 21, 2023 1:15 AM

Jul 2016
At first I thought the mushi of the episode was one that swapped genders lol. Fascinating if not a bit bittersweet backstory for Ginko but I wonder if the modern clothes will get explained eventually.
Apr 22, 2023 8:07 AM
Apr 2023
ginko has a good history
Apr 29, 2023 3:00 AM

May 2022
Ginko's past was brutal. After losing everything...twice and not having a place to call home, I think forgetting everything and starting new was the best that could happen to him.

I think this is going to be one of my top 10 shows.
May 2, 2023 6:18 AM
Dec 2019
The most amazing episode so far, and the saddest.
May 20, 2023 7:23 PM
Aug 2016
This is one of those rare backstories that don't invoke pain but rather tranquility at the end of it. Great episode overall! 

5/5
Sep 8, 2023 2:53 PM

Sep 2021
Right in the feels.
Oct 24, 2023 4:05 AM

Jun 2021
I really like this episode. It all makes sense now.
Nov 15, 2023 7:33 AM

May 2019
Wow, Ginko's backstory, so sad and tragic.
Jan 5, 3:58 AM
Nov 2016
In the last episode, traces of Ginko's story appeared, but they were all very subtle. Here we have an episode designed to tell the origin of the protagonist and this is done masterfully.

In just 23 minutes we are exposed to all the necessary information, but nothing rushed but rather well tied together. We discovered the origin of his name, Ginko, which is not his given name. Furthermore, we can see what happened to his mother, how he was raised and why his hair is white, in addition to him not having one eye.

It's even more spectacular when you realize that the voice that narrates the beginning of the episodes is that of Nui, Ginko's mentor.

{SPOILER} It's sad to see how Yoki, now Ginko, suffered throughout his childhood. First he loses his mother and then the person who raised him and taught him everything about the Mushi, Mushishi Nui. She takes great care in explaining the history of energy beings, in addition to understanding why the protagonist smokes - as she showed that this kept the Mushi away. And just like him, she had the facility to attract them, it seems to be something common among the Mushishi.

It also adds drama to the story of the latter, who lost her husband and son and in the end chose to be consumed completely, thus becoming a Tokoyami.

Although we are now aware of all the facts, Yoki doesn't remember anything because, in addition to his eyes and hair color being stolen by Mushi Ginko, he had to leave all his memories, including his name, when consumed by Tokoyami and having managed to escape by remembering a single fragment of memory, which was precisely the name Ginko, now adopted by him.

Well-crafted narrative in all aspects, I dare say it will be difficult for any episode to surpass it.
robtoscaJan 5, 4:05 AM
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mushishi Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

zippy - Feb 10, 2008

175 by reus23shinji »»
May 15, 7:12 PM

Poll: » Mushishi Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

zippy - Feb 9, 2008

136 by reus23shinji »»
May 15, 6:45 PM

Poll: » Mushishi Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

zippy - Feb 6, 2008

150 by reus23shinji »»
May 11, 6:32 PM

Poll: » Mushishi Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

zippy - Feb 6, 2008

159 by Nuikorakabiri »»
Apr 22, 12:03 PM

Poll: » Mushishi Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

zippy - Feb 2, 2008

156 by hinasuns »»
Mar 21, 7:17 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.