Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Apr 1, 2019 6:23 PM
Mar 2019
Hi guys,

I started watching Darker Than Black (Episode 5), and the concept is really dope. A bad ass MC with a hidden identity and hidden agenda, oh and I love the mask! But I got to admit, I’m the type of person to drop animes very fast if it doesn’t get interesting in the first few episodes. Now I forced myself to watch when I wanted to drop it on episode 3, and I would like to know if it’s worth to continue.

The things that bother me are that the first few episodes were barely about the mc Hei. Instead it went on about the girl who’s father did research, and we saw scenes of the detective investigating the contractors. My problem is that these episodes were totally the opposite why I started watching this anime (A interesting MC)

For the ones that watched it, is it worth to watch any further for me?
Apr 1, 2019 6:27 PM

Aug 2017
Drunk Hei is best Hei so hell yeah, continue watching it.
Apr 1, 2019 6:27 PM

May 2018
First season is definitely worth it. It’s an episodic anime mostly so MC background will slowly be explored as episodes continuing on.
Apr 1, 2019 7:03 PM

Dec 2012
It is a pretty good franchise in my opinion. 8/10
"The name's Gambit. Remember it."
-Gambit "X-Men '97"

Apr 1, 2019 7:09 PM

Oct 2013
I thought it was pretty good. Second season isn't too bad but that and the ova that leads into it can be skipped if you want. Honestly I liked the the ova more than the second season.
Apr 1, 2019 7:14 PM

Mar 2019
I haven't watched the second season or OVA that leads into it, but the first season is worth it.
Apr 1, 2019 8:36 PM

Feb 2019
Im glad someone has done this ... Ive been wanting to watch Darker than black for a while..
so the comments will help me decide
Apr 1, 2019 8:44 PM

Aug 2016
First season is worth it, but not the following seasons.
Apr 1, 2019 8:49 PM
Aug 2013
keep watching until episode 11 it gets good, started off a bit slow but it's worth it. I had the same problem almost dropped it but glad I kept watching
~AnimeDownUnder~

Apr 1, 2019 9:08 PM

Nov 2009
S1 is great, the Gaiden OVA is more of the same, but then comes S2...
ったく、嫌な世の中だよ。
Apr 2, 2019 6:26 AM

May 2018
Yeah, in second season the plot gets weird but it's visually better (if you ignore the recycled Sailor Moon type of transformations) and has fewer but better action scenes.
Also it gets darker.
alshuApr 2, 2019 6:49 AM
Apr 2, 2019 6:33 AM

Oct 2013
I liked the first season when I watched it years back but it was hard to get into. The world, MC, Concept etc etc was cool and all but it didnt fully grip me. I stuck with it though and from my vague memory, I think the last quarter full of episodes....or maybe even the 2nd half is when I began to enjoy it.

2nd season however? I loved it! It dropped the episodic format for one long story. I mean it's a short anime but I loved it. The soundtrack is awesome too.

I'd say you should stick with it for its 2nd season but if your not enjoying it then screw it. Find a different anime.
My Manga List
My Anime List
Shabada shabadabadaba
I am DjG545 aka Dj Fo Fo aka The Mutha Fkn Name I'm Usin Now
Apr 2, 2019 9:41 AM

Jun 2014
I want to watch it, but I keep putting it off. I think I’ll start when I finish one of the other shows I’m watching.
Apr 2, 2019 1:07 PM
Voltekka!
Sep 2017
Its only worth it for Hei and the action scenes.
Apr 2, 2019 1:20 PM

Jul 2014
Thread moved from Anime Discussion
Take care of yourself

Apr 2, 2019 1:46 PM
Apr 2019
It's definitely worth it. It's one of my favorite animes. The first few episodes are a bit slow, but it gets a lot better the further into the series you get, I promise.
Nov 4, 2019 3:28 PM

Sep 2019
Darker than black is a gift from God himself to the anime community. It isn't worth watching it's a series every anime watcher should watch.
Nov 24, 2019 3:23 AM

Sep 2019
alshu said:
Yeah, in second season the plot gets weird but it's visually better (if you ignore the recycled Sailor Moon type of transformations) and has fewer but better action scenes.
Also it gets darker.
How much darker? Even more than the black?
"I think I wanted to attack something. Like betraying people or hurting people. And, well, it's not exactly nice, but hurting the readers too... In all honestly, I feel that's what I really wanted to do. For me, as a reader, when I think, "this manga will remain in my heart," it means, for example, it phenomenally hurt me: It's those kinds of experiences I'm after." - Pajime Hisayama (My favourite hurting author).
Nov 24, 2019 3:34 AM

May 2018
Peeti said:
Even more than the black?

Isn't it this...like in the title?
Yeah, actually ultraviolet.
Nov 24, 2019 4:34 AM

Sep 2019
alshu said:
Peeti said:
Even more than the black?

Isn't it this...like in the title?
Yeah, actually ultraviolet.
I see, you like ultraviolet anime. A symbol of high capacity right there.
"I think I wanted to attack something. Like betraying people or hurting people. And, well, it's not exactly nice, but hurting the readers too... In all honestly, I feel that's what I really wanted to do. For me, as a reader, when I think, "this manga will remain in my heart," it means, for example, it phenomenally hurt me: It's those kinds of experiences I'm after." - Pajime Hisayama (My favourite hurting author).
Nov 24, 2019 9:03 AM

May 2018
Peeti said:
I see, you like ultraviolet anime.

Only this one as far as I know.

Peeti said:
A symbol of high capacity right there.

How is that any different from infrared anime?

I am more of the "The spectrum is green" guy.
Funnily this comes from a very scarlet show.
Nov 24, 2019 5:52 PM

Sep 2019
alshu said:
Peeti said:
I see, you like ultraviolet anime.

Only this one as far as I know.

Peeti said:
A symbol of high capacity right there.

How is that any different from infrared anime?

I am more of the "The spectrum is green" guy.
Funnily this comes from a very scarlet show.
Green is always good. Remember green vegetables, trees🌲 etc. So your spectrum has it's own merits.

Ultraviolet represents wavelengths shorter than visible light. So more anime absorbing into you in a shorter period of time which needs more capacity/space in mind whereas infrared represents electromagnetic radiation with wavelengths longer than those of visible light, so more time period to travel the anime wavelengths to get into your mind. You can call infrared a symbol of durability.
Nov 24, 2019 11:40 PM

May 2018
Peeti said:
So your spectrum has it's own merits.

Naaah.
Not an actual spectrum, a nonsense expression from a Gerry Anderson show.
It's a reference to an organisation called Spectrum and dispute the James Bond-esque name they are actually the good guys.

Peeti said:
Ultraviolet represents wavelengths shorter than visible light. So more anime absorbing into you in a shorter period of time which needs more capacity/space in mind whereas infrared represents electromagnetic radiation with wavelengths longer than those of visible light, so more time period to travel the anime wavelengths to get into your mind. You can call infrared a symbol of durability.

I don't think this works for anime since both are invisible.

On the other hand when I turn the infrared heaters in my oven, the cheese sandwiches are done faster.
Maybe "infrared anime" could mean that it will melt your brain for no time?
Nov 25, 2019 12:22 AM

Sep 2019
alshu said:
Peeti said:
So your spectrum has it's own merits.

Naaah.
Not an actual spectrum, a nonsense expression from a Gerry Anderson show.
It's a reference to an organisation called Spectrum and dispute the James Bond-esque name they are actually the good guys.

Peeti said:

I don't think this works for anime since both are invisible.

On the other hand when I turn the infrared heaters in my oven, the cheese sandwiches are done faster.
Maybe "infrared anime" could mean that it will melt your brain for no time?
Well, that fast mode thing can backfire for anime because as I said, infrared need more time to adapt perfectly. For increasing the speed everything depends on the mind i.e. how fast it is. So ur brain may be faster.
Nov 25, 2019 12:42 AM

May 2018
Peeti said:
Well, that fast mode thing can backfire for anime because as I said, infrared need more time to adapt perfectly. For increasing the speed everything depends on the mind i.e. how fast it is. So ur brain may be faster.

It's a question of transferred energy not frequency thus your "faster" and "slower" doesn't work here.
Nov 25, 2019 1:36 AM
Jun 2017
Yeah
Not a waste of Time
Vimu

More topics from this board

Poll: » Darker than BLACK Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Zel - Aug 30, 2007

82 by almightybismarck »»
Yesterday, 9:26 PM

Poll: » Darker than BLACK Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ashura - Aug 17, 2007

98 by almightybismarck »»
May 22, 6:33 AM

Poll: » Darker than BLACK Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Faust721 - Aug 10, 2007

69 by almightybismarck »»
May 22, 5:01 AM

Poll: » Darker than BLACK Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

TheWestExit - Aug 3, 2007

101 by almightybismarck »»
May 14, 8:28 PM

Poll: » Darker than BLACK Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 )

windborn - Jul 31, 2007

75 by almightybismarck »»
May 13, 9:23 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.