Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Sep 22, 2016 10:28 AM
Aug 2016
I REALLY need someone to clear it up for me, should I watch Despair Arc before or after playing the second game, it's set before the events of the entire franchise, so when should I watch it?

Also should I watch both Despair and Future arc at the same time or one after the other? I'M CONFUSED AS FUCK! And please don't spoil anything.
Sep 22, 2016 10:33 AM

Jul 2016
you should (need to) play danganronpa 2 first, as the anime will spoil you major plot points of the game.
then you can watch despair and future at the same time, starting with future ep. 1 and then despair ep. 1, future ep. 2 and despair ep.2 etc.
Sep 22, 2016 11:06 AM
Aug 2016
rutile said:
you should (need to) play danganronpa 2 first, as the anime will spoil you major plot points of the game.
then you can watch despair and future at the same time, starting with future ep. 1 and then despair ep. 1, future ep. 2 and despair ep.2 etc.
Thank you very much!
Sep 22, 2016 3:42 PM

Feb 2010
Yeah both anime spoils the second game heavily (It's called danganronpa 3 for a reason)
Sep 22, 2016 8:48 PM

Dec 2010
What you need to do in order:

- Play Danganronpa 1 (or watch the very rushed anime adaptation, but please do yourself a favour and play the game even if you already have watched it (like me), it's awesome)
- Play Danganronpa 2
- Play Another Episode or at least read on it (not the most important, but you have to learn about the plot, ending and characters. I skipped around a 11-hour long playthrough of it on Youtube because I only have a PC.) Chronologically, it takes place before DR2, but it would ruin part of the experience of playing 2 without knowing any of the characters. Much like with Despair Arc.

FYI, the steps above took me 3 weeks on vacation to do. DR1 is around 19 hours, DR2 is around 31, and then you add AE and you're in for a total of around 60 hours.

Then finally:
- Watch Despair Arc AND Future Arc intertwined, starting with Future Arc (in doubt, check the air dates)
- Watch Hope Arc, which is to air next week in place of Despair 12.

The others had already said most of it, but I hope this list is useful to you.
GomizillaSep 22, 2016 9:01 PM
Sacrificing sleep and sanity for more anime-induced dopamine.
Aug 26, 2019 9:04 PM

Sep 2012
Insanitium said:

- Play Danganronpa 1 (or watch the very rushed anime adaptation, but please do yourself a favour and play the game even if you already have watched it (like me), it's awesome)
- Play Danganronpa 2
- Play Another Episode or at least read on it (not the most important, but you have to learn about the plot, ending and characters. I skipped around a 11-hour long playthrough of it on Youtube because I only have a PC.) Chronologically, it takes place before DR2, but it would ruin part of the experience of playing 2 without knowing any of the characters. Much like with Despair Arc.

FYI, the steps above took me 3 weeks on vacation to do. DR1 is around 19 hours, DR2 is around 31, and then you add AE and you're in for a total of around 60 hours.

Then finally:
- Watch Despair Arc AND Future Arc intertwined, starting with Future Arc (in doubt, check the air dates)

well to me seems like Despair Arc is Prequel to Future Arc..

its better if MAL will set Despair Arc as prequel to Future Arc..
Aug 26, 2019 10:07 PM

Dec 2010
Daisy-Sensei said:
Insanitium said:

- Play Danganronpa 2

Then finally:

It sure sounds like it, but while Despair Arc is a prequel to the entire series, it also spoils the first two games and the end of episode 1 of Future Arc. The episodes were made to be intertwined and some episodes are also thematically linked. You also learn about the past of some important characters from Future Arc in Despair Arc in places where a less inspired anime would have used flashbacks. Suffice to say, in a character-driven show, learning about the past of characters too soon constitutes mild spoilers.

PS: They released Ultra Despair Girls on PC a year after my previous post (which means 2 years ago). It's not all bad.
Sacrificing sleep and sanity for more anime-induced dopamine.
Aug 26, 2019 10:33 PM

Feb 2015
Although it's recommended to play/watch the playthrough of the corresponding game first, I just went ahead and watched the anime w/o caring too much. Yeah, it does mean that the game will be "spoiled" but I still think there's stuff that wasn't shown in the anime from the game--especially in the second game.
Aug 26, 2019 10:33 PM

Sep 2012
Insanitium said:
Daisy-Sensei said:

It sure sounds like it, but while Despair Arc is a prequel to the entire series, it also spoils the first two games and the end of episode 1 of Future Arc. The episodes were made to be intertwined and some episodes are also thematically linked. You also learn about the past of some important characters from Future Arc in Despair Arc in places where a less inspired anime would have used flashbacks. Suffice to say, in a character-driven show, learning about the past of characters too soon constitutes mild spoilers.

PS: They released Ultra Despair Girls on PC a year after my previous post (which means 2 years ago). It's not all bad.

i agree..."learning about the past of characters too soon constitutes mild spoilers." make sense if flashback exist in sequel than prequel can be also watched later to avoid spoilers and get excited about knowing more about character past
Aug 30, 2019 10:44 AM

Mar 2010
Ignore the convoluted 'tv way' of watching this series. I ignored the intertwined way and it feels so much enjoyable and sensible, I advised 3 people that I know and they have a pleasant experience as well.

I followed this route:

1. Despair Arc
2. Danganronpa 1 anime
3. Played Goodbye Despair
4. Future Arc
5. Hope Arc

I ASSURE YOU I HAD THE BEST EXPERIENCE EVER AND THE STORY MAKES SO MUCH SENSE IN THAT WAY.

oh yeah, theres side story like komaeda ova and ultra girls but i didnt watch nor play those since its just a minor plot in the main story.

Hope it helps everyone that want to start watching this series.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Danganronpa 3: The End of Kibougamine Gakuen - Zetsubou-hen Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Aug 11, 2016

195 by WIIXAnd »»
May 22, 8:09 AM

Poll: » Danganronpa 3: The End of Kibougamine Gakuen - Zetsubou-hen Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 21, 2016

225 by Beguni »»
May 1, 8:21 AM

» *spoilers* Why do people not like this season?

kakashis_sidehoe - Mar 26, 2023

33 by Kiryotsu »»
Jan 5, 10:53 PM

Poll: » Danganronpa 3: The End of Kibougamine Gakuen - Zetsubou-hen Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 15, 2016

526 by SaltyCookie »»
Jan 4, 9:44 PM

Poll: » Danganronpa 3: The End of Kibougamine Gakuen - Zetsubou-hen Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Aug 25, 2016

242 by Nanashi »»
Jan 3, 7:09 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.