Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Mushishi
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Jun 23, 2019 11:14 AM

Dec 2018
Yiuumii said:
It may be me but what I am curious about is, when they get the embryo how they know its their beloved one?

Yep, I was wondering about that too. I think it might be an actual plothole though. I mean, as I understand the Mushi produce only one embryo for every human they consume, but when Mio (the mother) was offered those embryo pearls, it didn't matter which one she would take. So in the end, it just doesn't seem to fully make sense.

I mean this mushi, as fasr as I understood, eats fish n stuff aswell?
What about if they take like a fish embryo, will they accidentaly give birth to an fish?
I am confused XD

Haha, that would be ridiculous. To me, it didn't seem like the Mushi ate fish as well, but the reason why they wouldn't do so is a mystery tbh...

It has already been three months since your comment, but I thought I'd also give my thoughts on it anyway.
Jul 8, 2019 7:12 PM
Apr 2016
Beautiful episode. I wonder whether this phenomenon separates their consciousness, if yes, it's just dying after all. Mushi sure are limitless though, this is so surreal.
Oct 3, 2019 7:15 AM

Sep 2018
This is also a fascinating episode, which deals with a theme that is deeply felt by the human being. Ginko is further characterized in this episode.
Dec 6, 2019 1:52 PM

Apr 2014
Tomo_01 said:
Yiuumii said:
I mean this mushi, as fasr as I understood, eats fish n stuff aswell?
What about if they take like a fish embryo, will they accidentaly give birth to an fish?
I am confused XD

Haha, that would be ridiculous. To me, it didn't seem like the Mushi ate fish as well, but the reason why they wouldn't do so is a mystery tbh...

It has already been three months since your comment, but I thought I'd also give my thoughts on it anyway.

Ginko explained that the embryo the Mushi creates is basically the starting point for every living creature. Not sure if he made this super clear, but I figured that the embryo, since it can turn into any living being, turns into a newborn of the mother's species.

Creepiest episode so far but gets you thinking.
Dec 6, 2019 2:34 PM

Dec 2018
LOAD said:
Tomo_01 said:

Ginko explained that the embryo the Mushi creates is basically the starting point for every living creature. Not sure if he made this super clear, but I figured that the embryo, since it can turn into any living being, turns into a newborn of the mother's species.

Creepiest episode so far but gets you thinking.

Ah, alright, that sounds like a logical explanation. Can you also make sense of the fact that specific people are reborn?
Dec 6, 2019 10:46 PM

Apr 2014
Tomo_01 said:
Ah, alright, that sounds like a logical explanation. Can you also make sense of the fact that specific people are reborn?

Woah, unexpected reply lmaaao I'm surprised you remember this episode so well

Hm, yeah that wasn't really cleared up in the episode. But I'm guessing it's that since the islanders let their relatives die there no purpose in order to have them reborn, they know to collect the embryo soon after the mushi eats their relative. The embryo must then be their relative. I'm not too sure about the mushi only producing 1 embryo per 1 human eaten. I don't remember Ginko (or any other character) saying that.

Ginko refers to them as "islanders"- I can't imagine there being that many people living on an island community. Probably highly unlikely that two people would die (to be reborn) at the same time or almost at the same time.
Dec 7, 2019 3:02 AM

Dec 2018
LOAD said:

Woah, unexpected reply lmaaao I'm surprised you remember this episode so well

Haha, it definitely stuck with me, this episode. People wanting to revive their loved ones is very natural, and it kind of makes those rebirths feel justified, but when you think about how the islanders will consist of basically the same people forever, it just feels weird and wrong.

There's also that whole deal with remarriages (or one, at least). If memories were retained, I could see people actually wanting that, although it would still be creepy. I think memories were lost though, but it makes for some thought-provoking material anyway.

LOAD said:

Hm, yeah that wasn't really cleared up in the episode. But I'm guessing it's that since the islanders let their relatives die there no purpose in order to have them reborn, they know to collect the embryo soon after the mushi eats their relative. The embryo must then be their relative. I'm not too sure about the mushi only producing 1 embryo per 1 human eaten. I don't remember Ginko (or any other character) saying that.

Ginko refers to them as "islanders"- I can't imagine there being that many people living on an island community. Probably highly unlikely that two people would die (to be reborn) at the same time or almost at the same time.

Yeah, it seemed like a small community. The rest of that explanation makes sense as well. If we assume sea life isn't very prominent, collecting an embryo at the right time should definitely be possible.
Mar 1, 2020 6:15 AM

Dec 2018
babykeiji said:
Hahaha! I love that Mushi. But it is extremely impossible. How bout the soul in the body? LOL! So, it differs upon every beliefs eh?! Heheheh! ^__^

I thought Ginko is going to die in that episode and gets rebirth on the next episode. Hahahahaha!

Which soul? Do we have soul? We don't know. Then, that's not impossible, nor possible, we just don't know yet. I personally don't think it exist, so the episode perfectly makes sense to me, you just have to open your mind to other ways of thinking.

Moreover, there's little we know about Mushi, we have yet to learn more about them, maybe in the 2nd season we get to know a lot more about them.
Mar 1, 2020 6:21 AM

Dec 2018
katsup said:
this was a good episode. though i wonder why the reborn-mother isana had the same thought about the sleeping. If her lifetime was taken away, wouldn't her personality be different possibly? hmmmmm.

Her mother says that her personality is pretty different to her grandma's personality.
But it is pretty normal her unconscious remembers things about her past life or that she has the same thoughts as she had in her previous life. That's because she's the same person, she just was born again in a different environment.
Mar 1, 2020 6:28 AM

Dec 2018
ashllee said:
katsup said:
If her lifetime was taken away, wouldn't her personality be different possibly? hmmmmm.

yeah that's my though too - if they were returned to their embryo state and "reborn" then the way they were raised etc should have an affect on their personality etc....i guess they just wanted to emphasize it?though ginko never actually knew what the mushi was either.

It is true that if our environment during childhood changes, we develop a different personality. But don't forget she's reborn, not born, she's the same person, so I don't see that strange that she remembers some stuff from her previous life. Furthermore, we may all have a small "esence" that is present since we born which determines a range of how our personality will be.

This is pure physolofy, so open your mind a bit and think wide, human mind is a complicated matter that we don't know a lot about yet.
Mar 1, 2020 6:33 AM

Dec 2018
starshinesMonet said:
katsup said:
this was a good episode. though i wonder why the reborn-mother isana had the same thought about the sleeping. If her lifetime was taken away, wouldn't her personality be different possibly? hmmmmm.

The way I saw it, the mushi in this episode fed off their life-time and then produced an embryo of the same make-up. So, while the person that is raised might differ overall from the original, what we know about DNA and biology today,it makes sense some of those personality traits and instincts would have passed through, almost eerily to the next generation of embryo.

I think this definitely fits into one of my top 10 favourite episodes of this series though. It is absolutely incredible.

Yep, I pretty much agree on everything you said xD you are a wise man indeed, I like you.

This is one amazing episode, that mushi is really really interesting, easy top 10.
And yeah, we don't know much about human mind and with what we know till this day, this episode makes perfect sense.
Mar 1, 2020 9:57 AM

Dec 2018
SPG_Anima said:
babykeiji said:
Hahaha! I love that Mushi. But it is extremely impossible. How bout the soul in the body? LOL! So, it differs upon every beliefs eh?! Heheheh! ^__^

I thought Ginko is going to die in that episode and gets rebirth on the next episode. Hahahahaha!

Which soul? Do we have soul? We don't know. Then, that's not impossible, nor possible, we just don't know yet. I personally don't think it exist, so the episode perfectly makes sense to me, you just have to open your mind to other ways of thinking.

Putting different beliefs aside, the show already established the in-universe existence of souls. However, I don't think that necessarily creates a logic gap.
It's been a while since I've seen this episode, so bear with me... Wasn't it explained that the Mushi fed off the lifetime of people, and then produced an embryo of what is 'left over'? Then those things that were left over were people's DNA and their soul.
Mar 29, 2020 4:39 PM

Feb 2017
Lol at the bamboo microscope.

Apr 1, 2020 6:38 PM

Dec 2019
Another splendid episode, i was really curious about this mushi and if Ginko would kill it, but in the end he couldn't, damn Ginko was saved by the moon, what a lucky person.
                                                         🖤   

May 10, 2020 8:29 PM
Oct 2018
These episodes seem like they are getting crazier and crazier as we approach the ending. Whatever the case may be, I'm enjoying them!
May 31, 2020 9:05 PM

Aug 2019
God Ginko's been really brushing shoulders with death these past 2 episodes, i'm begging to see a pattern here and i'm not sure i like it.
But hay this is literally the closest thing to a literal New Game+ or kinda Isekai'ed i think we will ever see in this world that has pretty much 0 side effects. Except from emotionally traumatising a member of your family e.g someone's daughter being forced to give birth to their Aunt Betty after she got caught in a freak berry picking accident.
Aug 5, 2020 1:55 AM

Aug 2018
Very good and nicely made episode, I guess the closer we come to an end the more we see of Ginko facing problems that could cost him his life. Thats not something I expected that much to see in this series
Apr 22, 2021 10:07 AM

Jan 2020
Ginko is having quite a hard time lately...
Apr 22, 2021 10:09 AM

Jan 2020
So does Mio had sex with her father???
May 1, 2021 12:15 PM

Jan 2017
Is it an infinite cycle of the Mother-Daughter circle?
The mother giving birth to her daughter, who in turn becomes the mother of the daughter.
This episode was really confusing, it definitely reminded me of the Netflix TV series 'DARK'.
(⁠☞⁠ ͡⁠°⁠ ͜⁠ʖ⁠ ͡⁠°⁠)⁠☞ YouTube @ The Pirate Collector ԅ⁠(⁠ ͒⁠ ⁠۝ ͒⁠ ⁠)⁠ᕤ
Feb 13, 2022 9:17 AM
Nov 2020
imagine raising your mother wtf
Feb 20, 2022 4:09 PM

Jan 2010
At times, a child can be born resembling their parents or relatives to a degree of uncanniness. However, straight up reincarnation? That's usually in the realm of mysticism or religion. For Mushi-shi, they've brought up an interesting case of a reincarnation method that can be used on a whim, which brings up a lot of ethical questions I've never thought of before.

In a sense, everyone on that island could have been reincarnated from previous ancestors, and therefore all these people are identical to their predecessors. Because of this, however, are these islanders their own selves, or are they just continuations of past people? Where is the individual in all this? Can you truly be yourself? The self that is eaten by the Uminaoshi loses all their time and is replaced by what is essentially a clone, yet not really.

If given the opportunity, would you want to see a loved one reborn? Would they be the same person, or would they be a new person given the new context in which they're born into? If given the opportunity, would you wish to be reborn, despite losing all your memories? Or, rather, how would you know you were reborn? Would you recognize your past self as a separate person, or would you not even consider the past at all, and instead live just as yourself?

I've seen a few stories about reincarnation, both in anime and elsewhere, but not to the degree of having reincarnation as a part of a culture. Furthermore, usually the act of reincarnation would be the cornerstone of the story, but in this case, it's more of a common happenstance that just happens to exist, as natural as the weather or the sun and moon.

Interesting stuff.
Aug 7, 2022 11:13 PM
Jan 2022
one of the best episodes in the series. somewhat disturbing and incredibly thought-provoking, as well as being one of the cleanest and easiest to follow episodes.
Dec 16, 2022 8:12 AM
Jul 2022
It was honestly quite weird. The thought of giving birth to your mother or waiting for your former lover to grow old enough.
The way Mio was pressured into it was uncomfortable to watch.
Imagine being a kid and people treat you like you have been there for 50 years and having experienced things you haven't. Being a person that you haven't had the time to become. Having a layout for your life from other's expectations because that's apparently who you once were.
And of course the mother's perspective as we saw in the episode. "I can't see her as my kid when she's just like my mother"
Apr 23, 2023 7:09 PM

Jul 2016
I can't even fanthom the idea of raising your parent after they're gone, especially when the kid is a biologically exact replica of them. Parents and children taking turns raising each other every generation? Sheesh

Also, was wondering if there was gonna be continuity from the last ep where Ginko got stabbed but I'm just gonna guess he healed up before checking out this island.
Nov 19, 2023 10:41 PM

May 2019
Beautiful and haunting episode. A mushi that offers hope and life.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mushishi Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

zippy - Feb 10, 2008

175 by reus23shinji »»
May 15, 7:12 PM

Poll: » Mushishi Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

zippy - Feb 9, 2008

136 by reus23shinji »»
May 15, 6:45 PM

Poll: » Mushishi Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

zippy - Feb 6, 2008

150 by reus23shinji »»
May 11, 6:32 PM

Poll: » Mushishi Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

zippy - Feb 6, 2008

159 by Nuikorakabiri »»
Apr 22, 12:03 PM

Poll: » Mushishi Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

zippy - Feb 2, 2008

157 by hinasuns »»
Mar 21, 7:17 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.