Forum Settings
Forums

The Ossan Newbie Adventurer, Trained to Death by the Most Powerful Party, Became Invincible Discussion

New
Jul 1, 9:24 AM

Feb 2019

https://myanimelist.net/anime/54913/Shinmai_Ossan_Boukensha_Saikyou_Party_ni_Shinu_hodo_Kitaerarete_Muteki_ni_Naru

Synopsis

I thought perhaps the entire point of the show was to get into the Guinness Book of World Records for having the longest title, but apparently this is the real synopsis

It is common knowledge that it is best to become an adventurer when you are as young as possible because the magical power that is the basis of an adventurer's strength will hardly grow if you don't train it while you are young. But this man, Rick Gladiator, who became an adventurer when he was over thirty years old, had the combat power of an S-rank adventurer, the highest rank in the world. In fact, Rick has lived an unimaginable life with the members of the legendary Orihalcon Fist, a party of the continent's strongest adventurers. From dragons to vampires, Rick's fighting prowess, trained by his literal "monster" mentors, allows him to defeat elite adventurers one after another who try to underestimate him.

(Source: MU)

Other Information

Type: TV
Episodes: Unknown
Aired: Jul 2, 2024 to ?
Premiered: Summer 2024
Broadcast: Tuesdays at 02:00 (JST)
Producers: Nippon Columbia, Bit grooove promotion
Licensors: None found, add some
Studios: Yumeta Company
Source: Light novel
Genres: Action, Adventure, Fantasy
Duration: Unknown
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 1, 10:58 AM

Aug 2011
Episode 1

To start this show off, an opening theme song with an old-school tokusatsu feel as it's by the same guy who sung the opening to Godannar and Toriko, among others.

Rick may be past his prime, but he survived some pretty extreme training and is ready to take the E-class exam. And there, he shows that some people can become strong even though he only started training at age 30. And then at the exam Rick shows just how strong he has become blowing the competition away. Freed is none too pleased that and his big sister Angelica challenges Rick to a duel. Angelica is pretty fast, but from Rick's perspective having seen fast before that she's pretty slow, and she was only a threat when she tripped that made her movements unpredictable. There were some pretty funny moments there to be had, all while there's some intrigue to be found, but at the same time it's another generic fantasy show featuring a MC that's freakishly OP, all while the subpar production values pretty much make things in-line with these low expectations.
Jul 1, 11:06 AM

Feb 2019
As stupid as the name is, I am kind of surprised that the art and animation was pretty decent.

The OP sucked though...reminds me too much of the wrestling Isekai
Jul 1, 12:03 PM
Jun 2017
I liked it except for: 1) The OP sucked big time. 2) You knew the blondes were the enemy. Freed has already gotten on my nerves. I'll keep watching.
Jul 1, 1:03 PM
Oct 2022
Loved it! I thoroughly enjoy the manga for this and I'm delighted they've translated the art style over to the anime so well.

Also, I actually quite like the OP... I think it does a great job of setting the tone, it sort of reminds me of an older office worker doing karaoke

Jul 1, 3:18 PM

Apr 2017
Well, that's a title and a half. I do appreciate have an older MC though.

At some point he's going to connect on a hit with someone and just turn them into a fine red mist.
Jul 1, 4:33 PM
Nov 2022
Reply to runec
Well, that's a title and a half. I do appreciate have an older MC though.

At some point he's going to connect on a hit with someone and just turn them into a fine red mist.
@runec "Oh they escaped and disappeared? How did I lose sight of them, they must be pros!"

It's definitely a ... choice ... using late 80s/early 90s song style.
Jul 1, 4:41 PM

Oct 2022
That was a pleasant surprise. Some actual funny parts even with a trope that isn't exactly new.

This is the kind of thing I initially thought Kaiju No. 8 should have tried to be until I realized that author stinks at comedy.
Don't drive a car when you're dead - Tom Waits
Jul 1, 4:42 PM

Jan 2017
Please give me more of that dark elf Reanette.
I'm a cultured degenerate.
Jul 3, 5:56 PM
May 2016
Pretty funny but how long before he realizes how strong he is?
Jul 3, 10:35 PM
Awkward Fellow

Oct 2018
First ep made me lol more than a lot of comedies’ entire cour, but not sure if it’ll be able to keep it up a whole season. Expect it to live or die solely based on if I continue to find it funny.
I actually like the OP song.
OhayotakuJul 3, 11:03 PM
Jul 4, 4:04 PM

Nov 2021
Two back-to-back series featuring an over-30 protagonist. And in both cases though poking fun at their age they've gone out of their way to make the protag the strongest character. Interested to see if this trend of not-teenage protags continues or will just be a short-lived blip.
The tomatoes are coming! Arm the dicer! Prepare the olive oil!
Jul 4, 4:56 PM

Feb 2019
Reply to Domvina
Two back-to-back series featuring an over-30 protagonist. And in both cases though poking fun at their age they've gone out of their way to make the protag the strongest character. Interested to see if this trend of not-teenage protags continues or will just be a short-lived blip.
@Domvina Unwanted Undead Adventurer did the same trope, a guy who was a low ranked adventurer even at an old age and giving pointers to the rookies. Although, he only became strong after becoming undead. There have been a bunch of "over the hill" adventurer types lately

Chillin in my 30's after Being Fired From the Demon King's Army
Dungeon of Black Company
Banished from the Hero's Party
The Strongest Tank
Demon Lord Retry
Goblin Slayer to some extent
HOOfan_1Jul 4, 5:24 PM
Jul 5, 4:09 AM
Oct 2022
Reply to Domvina
@Domvina To be honest, I think it's more a niche subsection of what's available rather than a trend; there are still far more frequent examples of younger protagonists. However, there are also a number of ongoing manga that have an older lead but are yet to get anime adaptations that I think might do over the next couple of years.

I'd expect stuff like 'Backwater Old Man Becomes A Swordmaster' or 'The World's Strongest Rearguard: Labyrinth Country's Novice Seeker' (the main characters of both are at least in their 30s) to get adaptations at some point. There are a few others but I can't remember their titles off the top of my head.
Jul 5, 10:18 AM
Nov 2022
The anime watchers in Japan are aging along with the whole population. There's just fewer kids being born for decades and the demographic is shifting for more adults to continue watching shows even after they have jobs.
Jul 5, 7:50 PM

Oct 2022
HOOfan_1 said:
The Strongest Tank
I thought the MC in that one was still in his twenties? Doesn't really matter since it was a terrible bore anyway.
Jul 6, 6:01 AM

Apr 2017
Reply to zkeleton
HOOfan_1 said:
The Strongest Tank
I thought the MC in that one was still in his twenties? Doesn't really matter since it was a terrible bore anyway.
@zkeleton Dude looked 37.
Jul 6, 4:14 PM

Sep 2019
The humor is pretty good, and I like the characters. I don't like the OP. A lot of the show seems very generic, but that's okay, as long as it's entertaining. I'll keep watching.
RMikamiJul 6, 4:19 PM
Jul 8, 10:59 AM

Aug 2011
Episode 2

Rick has passed the test, and not long afterwards, Raster, the big brother of those two noble snobs Rick fought with in the first episode, has come hitting on Reanette, and it turns out that Reanette is the examiner for the next test, the mock battle. Rick thought he dodged a bullet when Links, who is somebody who understands what Rick has been going through, was assigned to be his examiner instead of Raster based on his application number. But Raster beats up Links and becomes the examiner himself, and on top of that Rick might not even make it to the test as Freed disguises himself as a fortune teller and teleports Rick to a place where his guards are waiting for him, but the Orichalcum Fist part comes to the rescue and Rick is back. While that's going on, Raster is making a mockery of the test, overpowering everybody. But now he has to face Rick, and that snob doesn't realize what he's getting himself into. Just when it looked like Freed and Angelica were annoying, Raster takes that to the next level, and then some. Rick better give him a good ass-beating because he's quite deserving of that.
Jul 8, 11:33 AM

Feb 2019
So...somehow he feels confident in his abilities in the end after thinking he was going to get stomped?

They've been playing a little too hard on the "don't know your own strength" trope a bit much. Was it "Kid from the Last Dungeon Boonies Moves to a Starter Town" that did that last?
Jul 8, 12:13 PM
Nov 2022
Reply to HOOfan_1
So...somehow he feels confident in his abilities in the end after thinking he was going to get stomped?

They've been playing a little too hard on the "don't know your own strength" trope a bit much. Was it "Kid from the Last Dungeon Boonies Moves to a Starter Town" that did that last?
@HOOfan_1 It's one of them.

He'll have to run out of pretentious blonde assholes eventually in this show right?
Jul 8, 12:50 PM

Oct 2022
Did they really need an entire episode just to set up this next fight? Half of that ep felt like it was there just to stretch the run time. All that stuff with the other instructor was just a waste of time and should have been cut. We get it, he's a cartoonishly bad, bad guy. Just get to the fights already.
Jul 8, 2:41 PM

Feb 2019
Reply to zkeleton
Did they really need an entire episode just to set up this next fight? Half of that ep felt like it was there just to stretch the run time. All that stuff with the other instructor was just a waste of time and should have been cut. We get it, he's a cartoonishly bad, bad guy. Just get to the fights already.
zkeleton said:
All that stuff with the other instructor was just a waste of time and should have been cut.

yeah if he was just going to send his goon squad after Rick, what was the point in attacking the other instructor in order to be paired with Rick? Also, why would the guild want him as an exam proctor if he never passes anyone?
Jul 8, 3:30 PM
Jun 2017
Okay, like I think people here felt, this was a wasted episode. The only good part was Rennet strutting her stuff. I think she really wants to be Rick's girlfriend. We'll see.
Jul 8, 3:41 PM
Nov 2022
Not much actually happened but it wasn't a waste of time.

Introduced Rick has a childhood dream tied to a One Piece-like treasure. He was probably a weak-willed wuss in his former career.

Got names for all of his teachers ('names' lol) and some basics of the run-of-the-mill ranking system.

Confirmation that elf girl likes him.

And egregious setup for next episode's beatdown.
Jul 8, 4:32 PM

Nov 2021
I enjoyed the episode, but it did feel like it got dragged out a bit because they didn't have time to for the next fight. At least, I hope that's what we find out next week and Rick doesn't steamroll North.

There is something to be said about the uncertainty and sense of being behind when you take up a new hobby or career later in life. Particularly one dominated by people much younger than yourself. Though with how young the A and B-ranks appear to be I have to question the ranking system or the gap between A and S rank. In most fictional worlds magic users grow progressively more powerful with age as they learn new spells, etc. Unless the world has some mechanic where magical power decreases with age, and we've gotten no indication that's the case here, older magic users should be more powerful than most younger ones.

It's starting to feel like the series is working a bit too hard to make anyone over thirty "over the hill" and incapable of progressing in order to make Rick seem even more exceptional.

I'm also starting to wonder where the series is going to go after the exams. He's already showing himself to potentially be equal to an A-rank. I worry this is rapidly going to turn into a standard Shonen only with an older protag.
DomvinaJul 8, 4:38 PM
Jul 8, 4:35 PM
Nov 2022
Reply to Domvina
I enjoyed the episode, but it did feel like it got dragged out a bit because they didn't have time to for the next fight. At least, I hope that's what we find out next week and Rick doesn't steamroll North.

There is something to be said about the uncertainty and sense of being behind when you take up a new hobby or career later in life. Particularly one dominated by people much younger than yourself. Though with how young the A and B-ranks appear to be I have to question the ranking system or the gap between A and S rank. In most fictional worlds magic users grow progressively more powerful with age as they learn new spells, etc. Unless the world has some mechanic where magical power decreases with age, and we've gotten no indication that's the case here, older magic users should be more powerful than most younger ones.

It's starting to feel like the series is working a bit too hard to make anyone over thirty "over the hill" and incapable of progressing in order to make Rick seem even more exceptional.

I'm also starting to wonder where the series is going to go after the exams. He's already showing himself to potentially be equal to an A-rank. I worry this is rapidly going to turn into a standard Shonen only with an older protag.
@Domvina They said you have to train magic when you're young to really raise your max potential. Could simply be bad teaching.
Jul 8, 6:28 PM
May 2016
I liked it, it was a good introduction to his semapis. And big brother blonde Ahole's shenanigans gave a good explanation of the social dynamics of this world. Plus I am really enjoying the red eyed, strong, silent, dark elf. Hot blonde elves have been done to death (looking at you fat elf) and you rarely get to see dark elves in the spotlight outside of hentai. ;)
Jul 8, 10:29 PM
Oct 2022
Reply to MenchiK1
I liked it, it was a good introduction to his semapis. And big brother blonde Ahole's shenanigans gave a good explanation of the social dynamics of this world. Plus I am really enjoying the red eyed, strong, silent, dark elf. Hot blonde elves have been done to death (looking at you fat elf) and you rarely get to see dark elves in the spotlight outside of hentai. ;)
@MenchiK1 I'm with you on this! The other thing this episode did is reinforce the main theme of the series: It's never to late to start chasing your dream, even if the world thinks you're stupid for doing so.
Jul 9, 6:15 AM
Awkward Fellow

Oct 2018
Episode 2 made me chuckle a handful of times, so I keep watching. If that seems like a low bar to clear, it’s still doing more for me than a lot of other comedies. I know nothing about the source material’s actual story, but doubt it can disappoint me since I’m not expecting anything in that regard.
Jul 9, 7:51 AM

Oct 2022
Quote that feels appropriate right now

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man."
Jul 9, 10:35 AM
Oct 2022
Wish they did mot make him such a wishy washy loser most of the time
Jul 15, 12:48 PM

Aug 2011
Episode 3

Rick sure showed Raster that he can be strong even at his age. The only limitation is that he can't grow his magical reserve, which is the one area Raster is maxed out at. But Rick has the other attributes maxed out after all that training, and it turns out he actually died, and was brought back to life since Broughston's healing magic can work on a dead person as long as it's used quickly. Rick sure did kick Raster's ass, and it looks like Angelica at least respects him now even if her siblings continue to look down on him.
Jul 15, 4:06 PM

Apr 2017
Okay, good. They're not going to make him daft about his own strength for the entire show.
Jul 15, 4:09 PM
Nov 2022
Reply to runec
Okay, good. They're not going to make him daft about his own strength for the entire show.
@runec At least the orc did it on purpose to him.
Jul 15, 5:01 PM

Oct 2022
This is getting dumb, and not in a good way. A hundred million times? They could have just said fifty thousand and that would have been a sufficiently ridiculous number.

runec said:
Yeah that was the one saving grace of this episode.
Jul 15, 5:20 PM

Nov 2021
Excluding fourth wall breaker exposition guy at the start I enjoyed the episode. They provided an in-universe reason why adventurers start training in their teens, why most don't become adventurers after twenty, and how Rick has been able to work within those limits to become equivalent to an S-rank. And I really like how it happened through his own willpower and determination rather than some "he had a secret superpower all along" trope.

It was an entertaining battle and even though Raster is a dick he did backhandedly acknowledge Rick's strength.

Now that the intro is over time to see where the show goes next.
Jul 15, 6:16 PM

Oct 2022
Not to mention Sister Twintails gave Rick at least a modicum of respect. Could possibly be developing the beginnings of a crush...
Jul 15, 6:23 PM

Dec 2022
Reply to Domvina
Excluding fourth wall breaker exposition guy at the start I enjoyed the episode. They provided an in-universe reason why adventurers start training in their teens, why most don't become adventurers after twenty, and how Rick has been able to work within those limits to become equivalent to an S-rank. And I really like how it happened through his own willpower and determination rather than some "he had a secret superpower all along" trope.

It was an entertaining battle and even though Raster is a dick he did backhandedly acknowledge Rick's strength.

Now that the intro is over time to see where the show goes next.
@Domvina

Domvina said:
And I really like how it happened through his own willpower and determination rather than some "he had a secret superpower all along" trope.

In truth, it'll probably be both. Japanese tropes tends not to see those things as mutually exclusive; one of their major tenets is that working hard enough will reveal the secret cheat you had all along.
Jul 17, 5:10 PM
May 2016
A couple eyes opened to his his power this episode, thanks goodness that was already getting old. Also elf girl gets a rival and she is just as "formiddable", nice.
Jul 22, 11:00 AM

Aug 2011
Episode 4

And now, a background episode that explains how Rick came to be an adventurer at his age. He tried magic training, but that just didn't work out. But even so, he was encouraged by his best friend Zain as he became a B-rank fairly quickly. So he turned to being a guild receptionist and he met Reannette from the Orichalcum Fist party, who he secretly trained with as she encouraged him to pursue his dream even if it seemed dead. But everything changed when a party led by Zain was trapped by an extremely powerful dragon, and with the rest of the party helpless, Rick saves the day by tapping into his freakishly strong skill. That battle destroyed all his magical reserves, but that was a small price to pay for his motivation to become an adventurer. And with that, Rick is now a qualified adventurer ready to begin his journey to defeat the Kaiser Alsapiet.
Jul 22, 11:51 AM

Feb 2019
So, the dark elf is only 17 years old....

also...he single handedly defeated a monster that would normally take a full team of A Ranked or better adventurers to beat...but he still doubted that he could fight an A ranked adventurer....
Jul 22, 12:12 PM
Jun 2017
It was good to see Rick and Reannette's backstory. Surprised, Reannette was only 17 when introduced to Rick. But it also explains why she is "fascinated/supportive" of Rick.
Jul 22, 12:28 PM
Oct 2022
Reply to HOOfan_1
So, the dark elf is only 17 years old....

also...he single handedly defeated a monster that would normally take a full team of A Ranked or better adventurers to beat...but he still doubted that he could fight an A ranked adventurer....
@HOOfan_1 The orc priest previously mentioned that Rick can't use his skill when he wants to (maybe as a result of his mana circuits being damaged during the battle?). I'm not sure if he's ever used it again after he defeated that dragon so that's why he doubted he could beat an A-Rank.
Jul 22, 12:50 PM

Dec 2022
Reply to KingZeal
@Domvina

Domvina said:
And I really like how it happened through his own willpower and determination rather than some "he had a secret superpower all along" trope.

In truth, it'll probably be both. Japanese tropes tends not to see those things as mutually exclusive; one of their major tenets is that working hard enough will reveal the secret cheat you had all along.
KingZeal said:

God Damn, I called it.
Jul 22, 12:54 PM

Apr 2017
She's only 17 and he still just straight up asked her out?
Jul 22, 1:50 PM

Oct 2022
Once again I'm reminded of how much better Freiren is at telling stories with flashbacks then pretty much everything else out there.

I never really noticed before how much I dislike the character designs in this show. I think it was the close ups of dark elf that really drove it home for me.

runec said:
Ikr? Good for him.
Jul 22, 3:06 PM
Nov 2022
Reply to runec
@runec It's like a requirement in these shows.

In a previous episode he did say to himself, "If I was younger..." when thinking about her so he's aware of it. Probably was in a weird headspace at the time.
Jul 22, 4:05 PM

Nov 2021
KingZeal said:
God Damn, I called it.

Yeah. Have to admit I'm really disappointed. Feeds into the idea of "you can only be special if you're born special". Is that something the Japanese really believe? That you can't just be an ordinary person who through hard work and sheer determination achieves? You have to have some secret power deep within that must be awakened?

I'll keep watching, but it feels like now it's just gonna fall into the typical shonen tropes much like Kaiju no 8 did by the end. Hoping I'll be wrong.
Jul 22, 4:59 PM
Nov 2022
Reply to Domvina
KingZeal said:
God Damn, I called it.

Yeah. Have to admit I'm really disappointed. Feeds into the idea of "you can only be special if you're born special". Is that something the Japanese really believe? That you can't just be an ordinary person who through hard work and sheer determination achieves? You have to have some secret power deep within that must be awakened?

I'll keep watching, but it feels like now it's just gonna fall into the typical shonen tropes much like Kaiju no 8 did by the end. Hoping I'll be wrong.
@Domvina 'Cheat' powers are in.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Spice and Wolf: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

GridironOtaku - Apr 1

134 by SparkyBob »»
1 hour ago

» A Nobody's Way Up to an Exploration Hero Discussion

runec - Jul 6

39 by HOOfan_1 »»
6 hours ago

» Alphabetical Location Game ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

GridironOtaku - Oct 31, 2022

411 by Gafennec »»
8 hours ago

» Anime Alphabet ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

CrashAriMP5N2O - Oct 23, 2022

1004 by Gafennec »»
8 hours ago

» Why Does Nobody Remember Me in This World? Discussion (Naze Boku no Sekai wo Daremo Oboeteinai no ka?)

MenchiK1 - Jul 13

35 by zkeleton »»
9 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.