Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 27, 2009 1:01 PM

Jun 2008
“They say that nobody is perfect. Then they tell you practice makes perfect. I wish they'd make up their minds.”

What would you like to see in AnimeCollector?
skriticosApr 28, 2009 10:30 AM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Apr 27, 2009 2:23 PM
Apr 2009
I have a list in Excel I want to import and maybe synchronize. This doesn't need a GUI, but must scrape title lists from MAL. Working on that. No other client has this ;)

For me to use the GUI it would have to run natively on Mac OS, by which I mean no X11. Doesn't matter how it looks, but has to support Quartz. Might look into whether GTK can be compiled that way.

The easiest alternative would be Tk. It's part of Python, and Mac OS includes a Quartz build. I used it from Perl years ago. Doesn't look native, though.
Apr 27, 2009 2:26 PM

Jun 2008
Thinking ahead a bit here, but I'll probably add a CSV import/export module. This makes it possible to interface data vise with most table applications (like databases, spreadsheets) in a simple way. There will be a manual import/export functionality and a background service version, that will also be usable in non GUI mode (for instance for sig updating apps). The data imported/exported can be: all, the viewing categories and updates. As said, this is thinking ahead far.

Edit: just saw your post after submitting mine. Think this this would address your Excel whish ^^ Thinking more about it, the CSV module should even prove quite easy to implement from the basic functionality, as it only hast to interface with the config and myanimelist module. So, maybe not that far ahead, this is :)

Edit2: wxPython plans are up, they should provide native OS X and Windows looks. Tkiter would be the easiest, but also the ugliest on all platforms, so I won't go in that direction -.-
skriticosApr 27, 2009 2:39 PM
Apr 27, 2009 3:58 PM
Apr 2009
The problem with importing is that the source data does not contain MAL id numbers, so series have to be matched by title. Apart from synonyms the search on the site is not tolerant of alternate spellings/romanizations, so this has to be done on the client. Also the user has to confirm doubtful pairings.

For another site I achieved it using Ferret, the Ruby port of Lucene. But that needs a full list of all titles on MAL, or at least search results for parts of the titles to import. I'll try scraping that information sometime this weeks.
Apr 27, 2009 4:43 PM

Jun 2008
You got a point there. Importing and pushing data that is not in the list yet should prove difficult, as there is no definite key to match with, and name matching is quite ambiguous with the mal search function. Some manual selecting will be an issue, that's sure. Maybe something like an import dialog, that reads a csv file, matches against the local database, then searches for the entries via the mal search and then presents a list of ambiguousities for manual resolution. Starts to sound complicated.
May 9, 2009 7:04 AM

Nov 2007
after try few days, i wish:
- easier to install
- more preferences, such kind:
*autoload on start
btw, it takes few second delay to load, i guess it sync process?, i think it would be better if the GUI show first, then syncing began.
btw, did it always sync first when load?, because it always delayed, i wonder people with huge list.
*load/close on systray ability
this one good for silent syncing.

and there's something wrong with the button, i mean after load then i click preferences, then i click close, then i click again preferences, but it won't show up, the "about" button also like that.

and in the future, i think, it definitely needs privacy agreement.

btw this program really good, i like it^^
May 9, 2009 7:29 AM

Jun 2008
- easier to install

It's on the schedule, but there are a bunch of other things first.

- more preferences, such kind:
*autoload on start
btw, it takes few second delay to load, i guess it sync process?, i think it would be better if the GUI show first, then syncing began.
btw, did it always sync first when load?, because it always delayed, i wonder people with huge list.

The preferences and About dialogue close button broke when I did the name conversion a few days ago. Already fixed it in the repo, but it's not released yet.

load/close on systray ability
this one good for silent syncing.

Is on the schedule. Also silent syncing is in works via an async (background) processing structure we are working on.

What?

btw this program really good, i like it^^

Thanks.
May 9, 2009 9:56 AM

Nov 2007
skriticos said:

What?

i just feel unsafe, because the software read my disk for video sync.

btw skriticos-san, how to remove it with command line?, i install it with command line that describe on readme. i want to try .deb that evilsage4 made.
May 9, 2009 10:17 AM

Jun 2008
i just feel unsafe, because the software read my disk for video sync.

The app does not read disk now, only monitors processes that play video, and only if you enable it. It also only communicates with the mal server and only sends the difference in your list titles that you updated locally.

You can read the sources and confirm this, or ask the other devs. or anyone who can read python. Nobody will sign an agreement of any kind. This is the nature of oss, no warranty.

btw skriticos-san, how to remove it with command line?, i install it with command line that describe on readme. i want to try .deb that evilsage4 made.

There is no automated uninstaller, but you can get rid of it by removing following things:
AniChou module in your python package-includes/dist-packages and control file.
On Ubuntu 9.04 this can be done with the following two commands:

sudo rm -ri /usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/AniChou/
sudo rm -i /usr/local/bin/anichou.py

or if your settings differ:

sudo find /usr -iname "anichou*" -exec rm -ri {} \;

(second one is more powerful, and also more risky.)

-s
skriticosMay 9, 2009 10:32 AM
May 9, 2009 3:23 PM
Nov 2008
also a 'dpkg --force-overwrite -i <anichou-deb-file>' would do the trick

It's what I did... though skriticos's method might be cleaner :)

Also, as far as a privacy agreement, I'll second skriticos. one of the beauties of open code projects is that you will virtually never find intentionally malicious code because if that were to happen, someone else would just remove it so it's pointless in the first place to code malicious stuff.
May 9, 2009 4:48 PM
Apr 2009
skriticos said:
It also only communicates with the mal server and only sends the difference in your list titles that you updated locally.

I wish for a confirmation dialog for changes made by tracking players: "do you want to commit..." ;)

Reason being that if I check whether a file is playable, or look something up, I don't necessarily want that episode marked as (re)watched.

It would also be the place to inform the user about uncertain filename to anime matches.
May 9, 2009 5:12 PM

Nov 2007
and easier way to uninstall/upgrade T_T, i'm really blind about command line.

and i can't change number for anime that not have end, 0/- to 1/-
May 9, 2009 5:24 PM
Nov 2008
zefiriss said:
and easier way to uninstall/upgrade T_T, i'm really blind about command line.

I'll make it easier to install in the future by creating a debian repository and a yum repo.
but for the time being, you'll just have to download my deb package then to

dpkg -i <the-deb-package>

that works for both an upgrade and a fresh install.

Sorry to be such a super geek and make things difficult ... hehe

zefiriss said:

and i can't change number for anime that not have end, 0/- to 1/-

Good call, I'm able to reproduce the error. I'll see what I/we can do ^^
May 9, 2009 6:41 PM

Nov 2007
banzai for .deb file XD XD XD
dpkg made easier to install and uninstall. i just have to doubleclick to install, and write sudo dpkg -r anichou to uninstall.
May 9, 2009 7:10 PM
Nov 2008
zefiriss said:
banzai for .deb file XD XD XD
dpkg made easier to install and uninstall. i just have to doubleclick to install, and write sudo dpkg -r anichou to uninstall.

the deb format is definitely superior to any of its predecessors like rpm :)
May 9, 2009 8:48 PM

Jun 2008
Wile said:
skriticos said:
It also only communicates with the mal server and only sends the difference in your list titles that you updated locally.

I wish for a confirmation dialog for changes made by tracking players: "do you want to commit..." ;)

Reason being that if I check whether a file is playable, or look something up, I don't necessarily want that episode marked as (re)watched.

It would also be the place to inform the user about uncertain filename to anime matches.

Not a bad idea. Will probably add it as setting that can be enabled.

@bug: be gone (it's fixed now)
May 9, 2009 10:28 PM

Nov 2007
yah, i'm agree with confirmation dialog, because sometimes i just wanna look around. hmmm, maybe like banshee, i mean i use banshee music player, if music change, it pop bubble near systray shows artist info. So i wish AC will pop out bubble after i watch anime, ask confirmation whether should update or not.
May 10, 2009 5:16 AM
Nov 2008
zefiriss said:
So i wish AC will pop out bubble after i watch anime

That's something I want too. So I'm sure that some time in the future that will be implemented.
May 13, 2009 1:37 AM

Jun 2008
Manga list
May 13, 2009 1:45 AM

Jun 2008
Darkii said:
Manga list

Coming soon.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Sticky: » AniChou package builds

kazooparcel - Apr 30, 2009

12 by Wile »»
Apr 12, 2013 12:34 AM

» AniDB support

Wile - Nov 27, 2009

1 by Necrotex »»
Nov 30, 2009 4:11 AM

Poll: » Searching a new name!

skriticos - Apr 29, 2009

37 by saka »»
Nov 1, 2009 11:14 AM

» Launchpad and an idea

newagemage - Jul 29, 2009

19 by Wile »»
Aug 24, 2009 1:37 AM

Sticky: Poll: » Anime naming final decision!

skriticos - May 3, 2009

8 by Necrotex »»
May 5, 2009 12:43 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.