Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 27, 2013 10:59 PM

Jun 2013
Hello all! Today is my first day at my College Summer Course, and I've finally decided to sign up for this Anime Forum! I love it with all my heart! My name is Ian Porterfield, and this excerpt from my college Essay should describe me well:

"It all started with sound, my parents think. They would take my twin sister and me in the car so one of them could vacuum. Mom stopped buying coffee beans because grinding them made me cry. Going to the airport to see my dad off on a business trip became a nightmare because the vibration and noise inside the building as jets took off and landed scared me. Then I stopped talking. Then I stopped responding to my name: Ian.

When I was 2.4 years old a team of people told my parents I had autism. The book the doctors gave them said it happened to 3 in 10,000 kids and more than 50 percent would be mentally retarded. My mom says she threw that book in the trash. I am in regular classrooms at my high school, sometimes on honor roll, and testing shows that I am highly intelligent. Now the CDC says one in 88 kids has autism. No one knows why.

I used to think that having autism was a great gift void of any setbacks whatsoever. After all, whenever I’m interested in a subject, not only do I memorize all the facts I can find, I also spend large amounts of time researching and analyzing details with a commitment to precision. I also excel at the fine arts like drawing and have been commended for my work numerous times.

While I’ve overcome a lot, I still have many challenges ahead of me. I have a hard time interpreting the social world. For example I can’t seem to get a date and I often feel like I have a brain tumor blocking my common sense. I’m not the best at controlling my impulses and sometimes over or under react to situations.

Autism is my diagnosis, but I won’t let it define me. My thinking too often is black and white, sometimes leading to bad conclusions and decisions, so I practice with progressive results. My life-long social challenge will be to see as many shades of gray as possible. One day I may be a famous economist, politician, illustrator, or historian. But first, I must work on my goals and surround myself with people who appreciate my differences and accept me for who I am. College will give me the opportunity to work with other people and improve my skills further. In return, the students and professors will have the opportunity to work with a unique and ambitious individual."
Jun 27, 2013 11:33 PM

Jun 2013
That is one powerful essay. Welcome to MAL, Ian. Don't let the trolls get to you.

Jun 28, 2013 12:03 AM

Dec 2011
Hello and welcome to MAL, seeing your profile page you are definitely a fan of the monogatari series. I too am a big fan of the monogatari series, because it's of course the best of the best harem anime out there. Feel free to ask for recommendations for anime and enjoy your stay.
Jun 28, 2013 2:21 AM

Feb 2011
Welcome to Mal Ian. I hope you enjoy the Mal Community.
Jun 28, 2013 4:41 AM
May 2013
tl;dr

Welcome to MAL
Jun 28, 2013 4:53 AM

Apr 2013
Monogatari fan welcome, tl;dr
Jun 28, 2013 7:45 AM

May 2012
Hi and welcome
Jun 28, 2013 9:07 AM

May 2013
Welcome :D
Jun 28, 2013 12:34 PM

Jun 2013
Great introduction. I hope you'll have fun here, feel free to add me or ask me anything :)
Jun 28, 2013 11:51 PM

Jun 2013
Excuse me, but do you need to manually insert codes for images, quotes, indents, etc? I can't find those tools common on forum boards anywhere!
Jun 29, 2013 12:01 AM

Jan 2009
Grouchio said:
Excuse me, but do you need to manually insert codes for images, quotes, indents, etc? I can't find those tools common on forum boards anywhere!

you use BBCodes on the Quick Reply just click it and learn it

and welcome to MAL
Jun 29, 2013 12:03 AM

May 2013
Yup you have to use bb codes

Also, Welcome to MAL :D
Jun 29, 2013 8:13 AM

Mar 2009
Hello and welcome to MAL.

More topics from this board

» hihi!!

aniiaya - 9 hours ago

4 by YanYan »»
1 hour ago

» Hello everyone!

Palash_6 - Yesterday

29 by Palash_6 »»
11 hours ago

» introduce my activity

loligoth666 - Apr 22

10 by loligoth666 »»
12 hours ago

» Hi everyone

fdasfdsadsa - Apr 23

5 by YanYan »»
Today, 7:48 AM

» no longer lurking, always happy to befriend somebody!

not-perfect - Apr 23

12 by YanYan »»
Today, 7:48 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.