Forum Settings
Forums

Do you think this movie is given low rating due to its deviation from the original anime?

New
Do you think this movie is given low rating due to its deviation from the original anime?
Jun 27, 2013 11:01 AM

Aug 2012
Well , i saw eva 3.0 just recently and i was like wow!! , stupefied as it was obviously better than i expected . I think the original series' downfall starts around this area where it's just getting sicker and sicker with no reason which ultimately led to the point where the series ends in shinji's head. Although "The End of Evangelion" retold the ending but i still wasn't satisfied. But this movie completely retold the story and making it better than before by putting more sense into it,more reason as to why shinji would go around talking in his head for over 1 hr ( as in "The End of Evangelion we were inside his head for more than 1 hr).

So for me i think this is better than the original series and i think people gave this movie low rating due to its deviation from the original series. I would like to see other people's thought in this subject.
Jun 27, 2013 11:38 AM

Apr 2011
Eh, kind of, but personally I don't think that is really the main reason. I liked it, I gave it an 8/10, that being said I gave the original series,end of evangelion, and 1.11 & 2.22 a 9/10. I just really didn't like the whole timeskip aspect of it, and how it wasn't explained at all for basically the whole movie. I don't know, I might have different feelings when I re-watch it, but I just didn't like the direction it went.

As for the ending of the original series(not EoE ending, but ep 25&26), I'm well aware of the budget issues but I liked that ending. I would love to see a blu ray release of the original series where they edit/enhance the last few episodes. Maybe by basically cutting and combining the final episodes and End of Evangelion, to basically make what was originally intended to be the actual ending. No matter what anyone says the congratulations scene was amazing, and one of the more memorable scenes in anime for me.
Jun 27, 2013 2:47 PM
Jul 2012
gino_san said:
Well , i saw eva 3.0 just recently and i was like wow!! , stupefied as it was obviously better than i expected . I think the original series' downfall starts around this area where it's just getting sicker and sicker with no reason which ultimately led to the point where the series ends in shinji's head. Although "The End of Evangelion" retold the ending but i still wasn't satisfied. But this movie completely retold the story and making it better than before by putting more sense into it,more reason as to why shinji would go around talking in his head for over 1 hr ( as in "The End of Evangelion we were inside his head for more than 1 hr).

So for me i think this is better than the original series and i think people gave this movie low rating due to its deviation from the original series. I would like to see other people's thought in this subject.

You, sir, are a rare breed of people. And that's (not) an insult ;)

I've gone into endless detail about all of NGE, the series and movies in other forums, so excuse me for not wanting to thoroughly repeat myself. Personally, I really like all of it. The series, EoE, and the three Rebuild movies. And you're assumption for people not liking this movie is probably correct for most of them. But also, it left people confused throughout, and it created more questions than the myriad of pre-existing ones. To enjoy or not enjoy the story line is one matter, however, the story is only a facade for a much deeper purpose. I don't know your extent of understanding the real reasons behind Anno creating the original series, but if you don't, I recommend looking into it. This will explain why so many people dislike Eva 3.0 and what I'm about to say. Here's just a little something.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hideaki_Anno
Read the part about Neon Genesis Evangelion if nothing else.

Simply put, because of the massive backfire of Anno's true intentions of the original series, he decided to create the Rebuild movies in order to "destroy Evangelion." Those were his words. He wants fans of the series to dislike it. There are so many deep philosophical and psychological ideas embedded in all of Evangelion, and people often miss most of it. The fact that so many people dislike Eva 3.0 probably makes Anno extremely happy. So far, with Eva 1.0 and 2.0 being very well received, then Eva 3.0 receiving much negative feedback, it's probably going all according to his plan. Depending on how fans receive the fourth movie will either accomplish Anno's goal or just repeat this endless cycle of an epic backfire.

I apologize for being vague, but like I said, look into the real meaning behind NGE, and you'll understand. SO, to conclude...I don't know if I could say I like the original series better than the Rebuild movies or the other way around. I think I like them all equally, and I like them all a lot. After all, what would NGE be without all the mindfucks?
Aquarius215Jun 27, 2013 5:19 PM
Jun 27, 2013 9:46 PM
May 2012
I rated it lower than the previous films because it frustrated me so much. They treated shinji like shit without explanation and then are surprised when he follows the only person who showed him a bit of humanity. So many questions, the main one being "WHY?!?!!"

Deviating from the original story has nothing to do with it for me.
Jun 27, 2013 11:53 PM

Oct 2012
I remember the first time I watched 3.0, I dropped it within the first 30min
newtonsballs said:
because it frustrated me so much.

However, I kept reading more interesting commentary about the film from other people; then I remembered why I loved Evangelion. It's because of the many ways people can think up interesting theories of the "what", "why", and "how" in regard to this franchise.
Even so, I still do not have this rated yet simply because I don't think I can properly give it a solid rating with 4.0 still yet to be released. For now though, as Aquarius215 mentioned, Anno is probably having a ball knowing he pissed off a whole lot of Evangelion fans after this release and I actually find it amusing to say the least. Seeing more butthurt fans stream in just makes this experience of being an Evangelion fan worth my while.

Overall, can't say I was too fond of 3.0, obviously, but I do applaud for Anno throwing in those School Days feelings, where I had a burning rage against the cast. However, 3.0 is different since I was able to be in someone else's shoes and I wasn't completely alienated; try harder next time Anno ;) (He probably will.)

Just this once, I'll fulfill whatever your wish is.
Jun 28, 2013 12:09 AM

Jan 2008
I will admit I did not like this movie as much as the first two, and its complete and utter deviation from how the TV-series went down does play into that somewhat... but only in the sense that the timeskip-aspect seems to have come completely and utterly out of nowhere, and things seem to have gotten so utterly grim by now that I'm starting to feel a distinct sense of Darkness Induced Audience Apathy coming on here.

Like, things by now look like there is absolutely no possible way this could end happily, and if this all just ends with yet another Impact annihilating what remains of humanity, then... what was the point of even taking the story in a different direction to begin with, if you're just gonna have it lead to the same conclusion? Not to mention that, when Shinji unwittingly set off Third Impact at the end of 2.22, it was a shocking twist. When Shinji unwittingly set of Fourth Impact in 3.33, it wasn't even mildly surprising. And with two separate narrowly averted apocalypses, both portrayed in similarly spectacular fashions... would the "Final Impact" the preview speaks of, assuming that it actually does happen, even have any impact (pun not intended) to it? Because as it stands, they're running the very real risk of making the end of the world boring. And while that is in itself quite an achievement, I don't think that's something you ought to be going for.

Oh, and the Wunder is kind of ridiculous.

That said, this is coming from someone who honestly did not even like the TV-series all that much, and I do still think this was a good movie... It was just that it also happened to be built on a foundation that I don't think needed to happen at all, and they are treading very thin ice here in regards to the final movie. Oh and also it feels like there was another movie's worth of developments that they simply skipped right past.
Jun 28, 2013 12:38 AM

Aug 2012
Aquarius215 said:
gino_san said:

I've gone into endless detail about all of NGE, the series and movies in other forums, so excuse me for not wanting to thoroughly repeat myself. Personally, I really like all of it. The series, EoE, and the three Rebuild movies. And you're assumption for people not liking this movie is probably correct for most of them. But also, it left people confused throughout, and it created more questions than the myriad of pre-existing ones. To enjoy or not enjoy the story line is one matter, however, the story is only a facade for a much deeper purpose. I don't know your extent of understanding the real reasons behind Anno creating the original series, but if you don't, I recommend looking into it. This will explain why so many people dislike Eva 3.0 and what I'm about to say. Here's just a little something.

Simply put, because of the massive backfire of Anno's true intentions of the original series, he decided to create the Rebuild movies in order to "destroy Evangelion." Those were his words. He wants fans of the series to dislike it. There are so many deep philosophical and psychological ideas embedded in all of Evangelion, and people often miss most of it. The fact that so many people dislike Eva 3.0 probably makes Anno extremely happy. So far, with Eva 1.0 and 2.0 being very well received, then Eva 3.0 receiving much negative feedback, it's probably going all according to his plan. Depending on how fans receive the fourth movie will either accomplish Anno's goal or just repeat this endless cycle of an epic backfire.

I apologize for being vague, but like I said, look into the real meaning behind NGE, and you'll understand. SO, to conclude...I don't know if I could say I like the original series better than the Rebuild movies or the other way around. I think I like them all equally, and I like them all a lot. After all, what would NGE be without all the mindfucks?

Hahahaha , you're right about one thing , it mindfucks people . Personally I think that shinji is more likeable than before ,

In eva 2.0 , the reason why he entered berserk mode against the 10th angel even though there was no power left in eva 1 was beccause he wanted to save Rei , but in the original series , he simply went berserk because he was afraid to die . I think that's the main reason why i like the rebuild movies more than the original ,with shinji being a little bit more awesome, and that can't be good if Anno wants to destroy the original series he created by making this rebuild movies.

I also think that's one of the reason why eva 2.0 was rated so high , with shinji being a little bit more awesome than before .
Jun 28, 2013 12:43 AM

Aug 2012
newtonsballs said:
I rated it lower than the previous films because it frustrated me so much. They treated shinji like shit without explanation and then are surprised when he follows the only person who showed him a bit of humanity. So many questions, the main one being "WHY?!?!!"

I kinna understand your frustration ,but that's exactly my point , it gives more reason as to why shinji would went psycho in his head . Plus i think the whole of 3.0 is mainly directed towards 4.0, ending it in a cliff hanger like that and i'm sure people will come back at 3.0 and gave it higher rating after seeing 4.0 .
All we can do is wait and see what 4.0 have to offer.
Jun 28, 2013 12:47 PM
Jul 2012
gino_san said:
Aquarius215 said:
gino_san said:

Hahahaha , you're right about one thing , it mindfucks people . Personally I think that shinji is more likeable than before ,

In eva 2.0 , the reason why he entered berserk mode against the 10th angel even though there was no power left in eva 1 was beccause he wanted to save Rei , but in the original series , he simply went berserk because he was afraid to die . I think that's the main reason why i like the rebuild movies more than the original ,with shinji being a little bit more awesome, and that can't be good if Anno wants to destroy the original series he created by making this rebuild movies.

I also think that's one of the reason why eva 2.0 was rated so high , with shinji being a little bit more awesome than before .

Lol I like him a little bit more too in Eva 2.0, for the same reason that he isn't AS MUCH of a pussy and does seem a little bit more awesome. But he still is a fairly pathetic main character (which is intentional). The fact that Anno made him more likable will help in destroying NGE if he makes the overall outcome where people wind up hating w/e Shinji does in the fourth movie. Like I said, the great success of 2.0 followed by the lack of success in 3.0 will probably continue. Say the first 2/3's of the fourth movie are awesome, then towards the end Shinji just fucks up everything and the whole world dies from the Fourth Impact, or something similar to that. That would be along the lines of what to expect from Anno. And it would definitely succeed in most people hating it. No matter the variations in what happened in the Rebuild movies and the series, the story is still essentially the same, just told from two different accounts. Personally, I don't think I'll be able to hate the outcome. But this isn't necessarily true for the majority of fans. Tavor has the right idea, withholding judgement until the last movie is out. They are part of a series, after all. So I think people hating this movie as a stand alone movie is wrong. W/e the case, I'm still looking forward to the fourth movie.
Jul 4, 2013 9:39 AM

Aug 2012
Aquarius215 said:
gino_san said:
Aquarius215 said:
gino_san said:

Lol I like him a little bit more too in Eva 2.0, for the same reason that he isn't AS MUCH of a pussy and does seem a little bit more awesome. But he still is a fairly pathetic main character (which is intentional). The fact that Anno made him more likable will help in destroying NGE if he makes the overall outcome where people wind up hating w/e Shinji does in the fourth movie. Like I said, the great success of 2.0 followed by the lack of success in 3.0 will probably continue. Say the first 2/3's of the fourth movie are awesome, then towards the end Shinji just fucks up everything and the whole world dies from the Fourth Impact, or something similar to that. That would be along the lines of what to expect from Anno. And it would definitely succeed in most people hating it. No matter the variations in what happened in the Rebuild movies and the series, the story is still essentially the same, just told from two different accounts. Personally, I don't think I'll be able to hate the outcome. But this isn't necessarily true for the majority of fans. Tavor has the right idea, withholding judgement until the last movie is out. They are part of a series, after all. So I think people hating this movie as a stand alone movie is wrong. W/e the case, I'm still looking forward to the fourth movie.

LOL, im still quoting this super long comment XD. He was such a pussy in "The End of Evangelion " that i listed him as one of my most hated anime character along with Makoto (school days ) and Hiromi ( True tears). Also unlike True tears and Kokoro Connect i will never hate the entirety of Evangelion , no matter how hard Anno may try .
Jul 4, 2013 7:18 PM

Jan 2008
Aquarius215 said:
Lol I like him a little bit more too in Eva 2.0, for the same reason that he isn't AS MUCH of a pussy and does seem a little bit more awesome. But he still is a fairly pathetic main character (which is intentional).

Really? Because as far as I'm concerned he is about as far away from a pussy as you can possibly get. In fact I dare say that the very fact that he didn't outright kill himself in the first half of the series and continued trying to defeat the Angels immediately renders any claims that he's a coward or a crybaby or whatever completely invalid. Yeah, he does whine a lot about how much his life sucks, but here's the thing:
HIS LIFE DOES, IN FACT, SUCK. And complaining about this fact does not make him a coward; It makes him a believable human. Oh sure, one can make the argument that it's really freaking annoying how much time the series devotes to showing how miserable he is, but Shinji has never been a coward.
Jul 4, 2013 7:22 PM

Oct 2012
I haven't seen it yet, I waiting on the legal release, but I think the answer is much simpler than because it deviated from the source material. I think it was because it wasn't very good. People understood that it was going to be all original and were hyped about it! But after they saw it... well you've seen the reaction.
Let this be our little secret, no needs to know we're feeling HIGHER AND HIGHER AND HIGHER!
Jul 4, 2013 7:50 PM

Oct 2012
I'm glad it went a different route, and we haven't seen the last movie yet so I guess it's too soon to judge if the third movie pays off.
Jul 4, 2013 9:10 PM

Oct 2012
Venom_TAG said:
I'm glad it went a different route, and we haven't seen the last movie yet so I guess it's too soon to judge if the third movie pays off.

Do you think it's going to be anything less than Anno being a troll? I honestly believe that he hates anime fans now.
Let this be our little secret, no needs to know we're feeling HIGHER AND HIGHER AND HIGHER!
Jul 4, 2013 10:45 PM

Oct 2012
NickyCharisma said:
Venom_TAG said:

Do you think it's going to be anything less than Anno being a troll? I honestly believe that he hates anime fans now.

Most likely haha, the 4th one will probably begin with shinji waking up and the events of 3.0 are just a dream of a different reality.
Jul 7, 2013 1:07 AM

Aug 2012
Vegard_Aune said:
Aquarius215 said:
Lol I like him a little bit more too in Eva 2.0, for the same reason that he isn't AS MUCH of a pussy and does seem a little bit more awesome. But he still is a fairly pathetic main character (which is intentional).

Really? Because as far as I'm concerned he is about as far away from a pussy as you can possibly get. In fact I dare say that the very fact that he didn't outright kill himself in the first half of the series and continued trying to defeat the Angels immediately renders any claims that he's a coward or a crybaby or whatever completely invalid. Yeah, he does whine a lot about how much his life sucks, but here's the thing:
HIS LIFE DOES, IN FACT, SUCK. And complaining about this fact does not make him a coward; It makes him a believable human. Oh sure, one can make the argument that it's really freaking annoying how much time the series devotes to showing how miserable he is, but Shinji has never been a coward.

ERM!! , we never said we like him , we just said he's a little bit more likable than before .
Jul 7, 2013 2:58 AM

Jan 2008
gino_san said:
Vegard_Aune said:
Aquarius215 said:

ERM!! , we never said we like him , we just said he's a little bit more likable than before .

...And this is a relevant reply to my defense of his character and pointing out that he's a much braver and respectable character than you give him credit for... how exactly?
Jul 7, 2013 6:45 AM

Oct 2012
Venom_TAG said:
NickyCharisma said:
Venom_TAG said:

Most likely haha, the 4th one will probably begin with shinji waking up and the events of 3.0 are just a dream of a different reality.

I love that idea, but do you know what would make that better? If when Shinji woke up, he was in a sequel to Inception.
Jul 9, 2013 2:22 PM

Jul 2012
In response to the original question, no, I don't think the negative response to the film is based on the fact that it completely deviates from the original narrative, at least not solely. More or less, the entire reason for all the hate is the ambiguous nature of the brand new narrative within the context of 3.0. I think we were all expecting a brand new story, just not in the way that it was eventually told.
Jul 10, 2013 12:42 AM
Jul 2012
Vegard_Aune said:
Aquarius215 said:

This is precisely why I make some of the remarks that I do. That is, I want to see if someone can establish a simple truth from all the falsehoods. After all, NGE is comprised of simple truths that most people miss completely. Shinji isn't a coward. His life does suck. He responds the way most people, let alone teens would in such a situation. His character goes way beyond whether he's a coward or not, though. His character represents a kind of stereotype that Anno strongly dislikes, and he's portrayed as annoying and whiny strongly in part of this fact. Anno wanted him to be disliked by many people because he wanted to say something like, "This person is you (the majority of the audience)...so if you have any complaints, bring it up with yourself first." You are probably one of the VERY few people who stands up for Shinji. The question is, can you relate to him? And if you answer yes that doesn't mean you're pathetic. Or at least, I won't think so. If anything, it takes balls to stand up for such a hated character on a thread like this. Trust me, I don't like to argue or put people down. On the contrary, I love talking about these things in great depth. I don't mean to sound too serious...I simply have a sharp sense of humor. I can most definitely take jokes too :P

NickyCharisma said:
Venom_TAG said:
NickyCharisma said:
Venom_TAG said:

I love that idea, but do you know what would make that better? If when Shinji woke up, he was in a sequel to Inception.

LMAO Just what we need...more mindfucks! And you're absolutely right about Anno hating anime fans.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Evangelion: 3.0 You Can (Not) Redo Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

dupa - Dec 17, 2012

786 by Ten »»
Apr 7, 8:45 PM

» I am Deathly Afraid of Evangelion

DoctorOddball - Aug 29, 2023

2 by DoctorOddball »»
Aug 29, 2023 6:10 PM

» How do you feel about Shinji??

SwagDemonMan - Oct 15, 2014

24 by DoctorOddball »»
Aug 29, 2023 6:06 PM

» Evangelion 3.0 explained (attempt to) [SPOILER]

GuidSMR - Apr 18, 2023

5 by DoctorOddball »»
Aug 29, 2023 6:05 PM

» So is Evangelion 3.0 really that bad? ( 1 2 )

DeusAnima - Oct 6, 2013

76 by DoctorOddball »»
Aug 29, 2023 6:02 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.