Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 14, 2013 9:46 AM

Nov 2011
Seiko :
-Lost 59.400 points as a member of the school that won the national tournament 2 years in a row.

Awai :
-Was hyped up to be a monster
-Lost 18.200 points.
-Was defeated by Seiko.
-Getting in 1st was more important to her than a spot in the finals.

My Twitter : link
My Last.fm : link
Mar 14, 2013 12:19 PM

Dec 2011
Seiko is the bigger joke.

Awai is a monster - her powers are genuinely terrifying. It's just that all three of her opponents had their own abilities that could overcome hers - Himeko's winning hands were predetermined by Mairu, Ryuuka didn't win anything herself but instead sat back and had Toki play a second time, and then Shizu...

Seiko, on the other hand, is just plain weak. From what we've seen so far. As I said in the other thread, her ability makes her less able to defend, and actually makes her hands weaker rather than stronger.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Mar 16, 2013 2:20 AM

Sep 2012
Awai is a monster like Kuudesres said. The point is it was necessary to show us Shizu beating a monster to build up some tension for the final of Saki main manga. Just look at what we have : Awai is using Kan too. That's be a bother to Saki. And Shizuno can destroy both of them with her ability. That was the point of the manga.
Aug 11, 2013 3:35 PM

Mar 2013
Arlia said:
Awai is a monster like Kuudesres said. The point is it was necessary to show us Shizu beating a monster to build up some tension for the final of Saki main manga. Just look at what we have : Awai is using Kan too. That's be a bother to Saki. And Shizuno can destroy both of them with her ability. That was the point of the manga.

Yeah this is the problem with calling Awai a joke. It was obviously just contrived nonsense to make Shizu look stronger out of nowhere to try and pretend she was a threat to Saki - Seiko is the bigger joke. Losing 59000 points like that is embarrasing. I'd expect Kyoutarou to do better.
May 3, 2014 6:34 AM
Jan 2014
imbs said:

Yeah this is the problem with calling Awai a joke. It was obviously just contrived nonsense to make Shizu look stronger out of nowhere to try and pretend she was a threat to Saki - Seiko is the bigger joke. Losing 59000 points like that is embarrasing. I'd expect Kyoutarou to do better.

I don't see how it was contrived nonsense, honestly. Or how it was "out of nowhere". There was plenty of foreshadowing of Shizuru's power once we got into the game. Yeah, Shizuru being able to show off her ability to the fullest was kind of dependent on Awai suddenly getting really arrogant and acting like first place is a big deal for no real reason, but from the beginning she was established as somebody who really wanted to win, and who felt that the other players in the room stood no chance against her.

But as noted, she was up against 3 players who her ability couldn't do anything against. One got guaranteed hands, a second was able to enhance her abilities by using Toki as a crutch, and then the third person's power is literally to cancel out/weaken other people's powers.

Seiko's outing was amazingly pathetic- and to be fair the manga states that she's been under pressure lately so this is probably not the first time this kind of thing has happened- but I think it's a bit unfair to call her a joke either; she has an incredibly predictable playstyle and went up against one player who would greedily exploit that, and two players that were just plain very good. And that wasn't what Seiko expected going in, so it caught her off-guard and took her forever to adapt. (Though, as noted, her ability isn't anything great either- she's probably the weakest member of Shiraitodai's team.)

But, let's talk about the REAL reason that Seiko lost 50,000 points. It wasn't because she was bad, it was because the writers wanted to avoid a blowout and close the point gap for the final match. They wanted to actually create some tension- it would be kind of boring if Shiraitodai and Achiga were the only two people even remotely close to first or second place, and they couldn't have AWAI be the one that lost points, so they made Seiko into a punching bag so that everybody could be even. If you're looking for plot contrivances, that's a bigger one than pretty much anything that happens in the Awai match.
Jul 27, 2021 5:09 PM

Jan 2011
@rederoin: Awai get thwarted because she got cocky, doesn't diminish her ability . Your dumb question like comparing Gilgamesh to that shrine samurai servant
There is like 2 weeks delay in my recent reading list
I randomly bought discount/second hand manga with cute/mysterious cover.

Use Personal Blacklist extension in Chrome if you just want to Google for a series synopsis, without google slapping MAL score in it.
3/1

More topics from this board

Poll: » Saki: Achiga-hen episode of side-A Chapter 4 Discussion

arsonal - Nov 14, 2011

2 by Hyoroemon »»
Aug 12, 2021 7:38 AM

Poll: » Saki: Achiga-hen episode of side-A Chapter 3 Discussion

arsonal - Oct 12, 2011

5 by Hyoroemon »»
Jul 29, 2021 5:48 AM

Poll: » Saki: Achiga-hen episode of side-A Chapter 2 Discussion

arsonal - Sep 18, 2011

3 by Hyoroemon »»
Jul 27, 2021 5:07 PM

Poll: » Saki: Achiga-hen episode of side-A Chapter 20 Discussion

Ksa - Mar 7, 2013

49 by Gamer40000 »»
Apr 10, 2013 9:51 AM

» New Work?

onesnowyday_ - Mar 9, 2013

7 by Kaengel »»
Mar 16, 2013 2:12 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.