Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 14, 2013 1:44 AM

Jan 2013
Courtesy of Baka-Tsuki, I've read through half of Volume 8 of the novel and I have to say, I really think Kodaka might end up with Rika. As of V7, we have confirmed that Kodaka is fully aware of the feelings of the Sena, Yozora, and Yukimura toward him but is willfully ignoring them and/or pretending to not hear what they are saying (AKA the super tiny text). Of the girls, the only one I can recall him actually speaking of in a "I think this girl is attractive" manner is Rika; once in volume 4 in the Homoge Club "A good way to put it would be to say that she has the beauty of a lone flower blooming atop a hill―― and if I had to say whether I liked it or not, honestly, it's right in my strike zone..." and once more in Volume 8 in King Lear and the Fool "Her usual lab coat and uniform were on a hanger next to the bed, and the only thing she had on was a white blouse. Even her hair, which had been tied up in a ponytail when I found her in the Rika room, was now undone and casually dangling behind her. Simply put, the girl sitting before me was beautiful."

I dunno bout you, but the boy sounds smitten.
makineJan 14, 2013 8:08 AM
Executive Editor of the Pop Culture Social Club located at popculturesocialclub.com
Jan 14, 2013 5:07 AM
Oct 2012
I'm almost as far as you, I've read two chapters into the 8th volume. Although he is physically attracted to Rika, and you point out some good points, he frequently adds that her perverse personality is a definite turn off to him. For example, that flower blooming on top a hill scene, I recall right afterwards that he regrets that Rika is Rika after she offers to have sex with Kodaka.

I wanted to believe the author is slowly thinning out the characters to get down to Yozora and Sena but it seems like it may go on for a while. At the end of the chapter before "King Lear and the Fool," Kodaka is relieved to not have to talk to Rika that day because he didn't want Rika to confess and ruin his comfort zone, the Neighbors Club, which leads me to think- ok, Rika is out of the picture. But I learned from your post that they interact again so I say again, I think it will go on for a while so we'll have to see how it plays out.

As for me, I suspect Yozora will eventually do something along the lines of a spontaneous & frustrated confession and end up with Kodaka. Though this is only my speculation.
Jan 14, 2013 8:08 AM

Jan 2013
Rika's perverse act is just that: an act. She does what she does to prevent herself from getting hurt. The key point and the game changer of the whole series is that everything is taking place from Kodaka's POV. He knows everything that's happening and he hears all those comments from Sena and Yozora about him, plus IIRC as of yet he's shown no interest in any girl outside of Rika. If he wanted Sena or Yozora all he'd have to do was call them out when they make one of those aside comment about how much they like him. For example, if he wanted to pick Sena, he could have told her "Let's get married for real then" after she expressed regret about calling off the engagement. Same thing goes for Yozora. There are countless instances where had he wanted them, he could have taken Sena or Yozora, plus with the super capable Rika backing him up it wouldn't have necessarily spelled the end of the club. Though Rika says a lot of innuendo, she's aware that Kodaka won't actually do anything to her. She's never actually given him an opening into her own feelings; any chance he takes would be him stepping out blind. I think Rika × Kodaka is a better written story.

EDIT:
cramman said:
At the end of the chapter before "King Lear and the Fool," Kodaka is relieved to not have to talk to Rika that day because he didn't want Rika to confess and ruin his comfort zone, the Neighbors Club, which leads me to think- ok, Rika is out of the picture.

He doesn't want Rika to not confess. He wants Rika to not make him admit that they are all already friends. The words he missed were at the beginning of the volume:

Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai: Volume 7 - Words Lost in the Wind said:
"I mean, aren't we all friends already?"

That's what he's afraid she'll say.
makineFeb 1, 2013 8:12 AM
Executive Editor of the Pop Culture Social Club located at popculturesocialclub.com
Jan 14, 2013 12:30 PM
Oct 2012
I just finished the last translated chapter on Baka-tsuki, "Turning Their Back on the Light," as well so I can agree to your perspective of Kodaka x Rika. (Which btw ended like it was the end of the volume- it even said The End. That's weird.)

Anyway, the last two chapters were definitely about Rika but if you take into account Yozora, Sena, Yukimora, and Rika's personalities, it's no wonder why Rika and Kodaka made more progress. Yozora is horribly bad with words and socially inept but shows her feelings through shy and hidden actions. Sena escapes reality via galge but shows her motives to be with Kodaka by wanting to make Kobato her little sister. Yukimora is quiet so of course nothing happens there. Rika and Kodaka are much more audible, perceptive, and honest than any of them.

I suspect the reason Kodaka doesn't just go for Sena and Yozora despite the many instances he can is two fold:

Firstly, it'd be too short a story to end it simply that way when there could be so much more written. The author even states in one of the author's notes from the first few volumes that he wants to write this as long as possible

Secondly, as read in the last chapter, Kodaka would rather have be friends with the club members than ruin it by going out with one of them. He says, "this place I've found is the kind of place that you need a miracle to find, the kind of place that some people can go their whole lives without finding, and the feeling of fulfillment I get from it is so strong that it makes me want to protect it, even if I have to sacrifice my future to do so," thus making it so the girls have to chase him because he isn't going to do it. It makes that kind of immovable object vs unstoppable force kind of feel, for me at least. Along that train of thought, I recall two instances (sorry I'm too lazy to look for actual quotes) where Kodaka says something along the lines of, 'I know what Rika was going to say even though she didn't audibly say it.' So saying she didn't give him an open to her feelings isn't necessarily true because none of them technically did in a formal manner like in other RomComs where there heroine and hero meet and says "I love you," but we all know they have feelings for Kodaka. It's just that Rika doesn't go about expressing it in a round about way like Yukimora, Yozora, or Sena does and thus Kodaka needs to spend some time, and chapters, with her to mend their friendship which preserves the club.

Whew sorry that was kind of long- and I'm not refuting your interpretation, Makine, this is just my interpretation of it all but I do think that Rika x Kodaka would be a good story, though i think as the story develops I figure any route the author takes would be interesting, even one where Kodaka x Kate, wouldn't you say?
Feb 1, 2013 6:15 AM

Jan 2013
Not so sure on Riki, given they are friends. Sena however admits to loving him, and asks for him to wed her. Nevermind as shown in 7, the matter is already pre-arranged by the two fathers. So I'm saying it will go that way. Riki seems happy with friends.

At the same time I rather doubt he'll give a straight up answer at first, or he might just go with it, though I think it might be the final push for Yozora to stop being a bitch and confess as well. But given the relationship of the two fathers, and Kodaka's lack of backbone (as in he doesn't want to cause problems) and the way the relationship with him and Sena has worked around, I suspect in the end she's going to win, unless we get a harem or mini harem ending.
Feb 1, 2013 8:02 AM

Jan 2013
You're sorta missing my point. Kodaka knows the Yozora and Sena and Yukimura and everyone else is in love with him. All those times someone is speaking under their breath and Kodaka says "Huh?" or "What was that?" or says he didn't quite catch that? He's lying so they can save face. To date there is one thing that he actually hasn't heard and that's what Rika said on the rooftop, though he knows what it was and just didn't want to face it. So when Sena says "it's too bad it's no true" about the prearranged marraige, Kodaka heard that and he could have easily accepted her then. He doesn't want Sena. When Yozora said "oh so friends can kiss too", he could have laid one on her. He doesn't want Yozora. The only girl he's actually expressed any interest in is Rika. Almost every time Rika shows up in the story he makes mention of what she's wearing, her hairstyle, her glasses, ect ect.

I think Rika says all those things for two reasons: first she knows Kodaka won't do anything about it, so she's safe. Second, she knows that right now it's more important that Kodaka has friends instead of a girlfriend, so she acts weird enough to be off putting but still lets him know that she is interested. I mean, if Kodaka were to chose anyone the club would completely fall apart. Choose Yozora and Sena leaves. Choose Sena and Yozora and Kobato leave. Choose Yukimura and Yozora and Sena leave. Choose Rika and the same thing happens, plus she could very well reject him. Choose Maria, and Sena, Kobato, and Yozora leave and Yozora called the cops. He may not want to cause problems, but he wants friends more than that. He'll reject Sena because he knows what that would do to the club.

Also, sometimes I get the feeling Kodaka legitimately dislikes Sena and Yozora
makineFeb 1, 2013 8:42 AM
Feb 2, 2013 6:41 AM

Jan 2013
I'm not so sure on him dislking them or that. But I think your on the right mark in terms of the club. He has no stomach for conflict pretty much ever. Reguardless V9 will be what decides it, though I suspect he'll say "let me think of it". The Question is though, what will the two fathers say or do? As I said he doesn't seem to have the stomach for conflict, I suspect he would fold if the issue was forced.

But reguardless the "friends" more so the Childhood ones never win these (for the most part). Ah well all I can say is wait and see. I'm mainly saying Sena as the forces are overly in her factor. Yozora is too hotheaded and at the same time cowardly to admit her feelings unless push comes to shove, and I'm not so sure he knows they like him in a romantic sense, the idiot still can't see all of them are his friends at the very least.
Feb 21, 2013 7:49 PM

Dec 2012
for those who read the novel . what did kodaka say when sena propesed and confessed to him ?
also is volume 9 the last one ?
Mar 7, 2013 9:54 PM

Feb 2012
tsudecimo said:
for those who read the novel . what did kodaka say when sena propesed and confessed to him ?

just read that chapter today but basically kodaka played fucking ignorance but realised he wasnt fooling anyone so... he says "I-I just remembered I've got some stuff to do!" and ran away like a coward
Mar 11, 2013 4:29 PM

May 2011
Kuro_no_Kenshi said:
tsudecimo said:

just read that chapter today but basically kodaka played fucking ignorance but realised he wasnt fooling anyone so... he says "I-I just remembered I've got some stuff to do!" and ran away like a coward

Yeah Sena blurting out a confession within the club was like a nuclear bomb going off. It made the "engaged" revelation seem like a firecracker in comparison.

As it's pointed out. It''s not whether Kodaka is, or is NOT attracted to any of the girls. It's just that Kodaka doesn't want to lose the club and all of the girls in it. He figures choosing one of the girls is rejecting all the rest. It's an all too common trope in harems. The guy can't choose, cause once the choice is made, the harem falls apart. It's also usually the end of the series.
Mar 15, 2013 1:21 AM

Jan 2013
Sena has so many death flags it's absurd.
Childhood friend.
Fiancee.

SPOILERS
And she's his cousin, too /spoilers

I'll reiterate that Kodaka just doesn't seem to be that into her. Plus I don't think Sena actually loves Kodaka; I think Sena loves the concept of Kodaka. Remember, Sena is a princess. All her life she's pretty much gotten everything she wants and been the best at everything. Now all of a sudden here comes this guy who isn't tripping all over himself to try to hook up.Of course she's interested in him. TBH, I don't actually think Sena knows what love is and she "loves" Kodaka and Kobato in more of less the same way.

Actually, I want to continue down this path. I think the only one who is actually legitimately in love with Kodaka and not the general concept of Kodaka is Rika. Yozora is much like Sena in that she's attached to the concept of Kodaka instead of the person behind it; this is why she is and has been so fixated on their mutual past and why the Sena revelation was so very devastating for her. On top of all that, I don't thing she actually realizes that she's in love with him. Yukimura in much the same in not quite knowing her feelings; she just knows she has a great deal of admiration and respect for Kodaka even though those feelings are completely misplaced. Remember, she thinks of Kodaka as some thuggish manly man, which isn't really his personality. Kate is the only one who might actually for real have feelings for him, but I get the idea that she just finds him a reliable brother type feeling and any love she has is non romantic.
Mar 17, 2013 6:08 AM

Jan 2013
Meh I still disagree with the Rika angel 100%. But I'll wait and see. On that note, any word on when nmber 9 will be coming down the tube yet?
Mar 28, 2013 4:35 PM
Feb 2012
makine said:
Sena has so many death flags it's absurd.
Childhood friend.
Fiancee.

I'll reiterate that Kodaka just doesn't seem to be that into her. Plus I don't think Sena actually loves Kodaka; I think Sena loves the concept of Kodaka. Remember, Sena is a princess. All her life she's pretty much gotten everything she wants and been the best at everything. Now all of a sudden here comes this guy who isn't tripping all over himself to try to hook up.Of course she's interested in him. TBH, I don't actually think Sena knows what love is and she "loves" Kodaka and Kobato in more of less the same way.

Actually, I want to continue down this path. I think the only one who is actually legitimately in love with Kodaka and not the general concept of Kodaka is Rika. Yozora is much like Sena in that she's attached to the concept of Kodaka instead of the person behind it; this is why she is and has been so fixated on their mutual past and why the Sena revelation was so very devastating for her. On top of all that, I don't thing she actually realizes that she's in love with him. Yukimura in much the same in not quite knowing her feelings; she just knows she has a great deal of admiration and respect for Kodaka even though those feelings are completely misplaced. Remember, she thinks of Kodaka as some thuggish manly man, which isn't really his personality. Kate is the only one who might actually for real have feelings for him, but I get the idea that she just finds him a reliable brother type feeling and any love she has is non romantic.

Next time you might want to put actual spoilers inside spoiler tags... the cousin bit was certainly a surprise for me. I guess that bit of information was revealed in the CONNECT volume?

Regarding the ninth volume's release date- it's 04/25 according to Amazon JP.
The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one. - Albert Einstein
Mar 28, 2013 4:36 PM

Jan 2013
Lol at people acting like Haganai is way deeper than it is.
Mar 2, 2014 10:04 AM

Feb 2013
makine said:

SPOILERS
And she's his cousin, too /spoilers

How is that?
where it's mentioned?
Mar 2, 2014 10:38 AM

Nov 2013
Sena is not Kodaka's cousin.

and lol for that "I'll reiterate that Kodaka just doesn't seem to be that into her."

The person didn't read the volume 9 to say that.
Touma94Mar 2, 2014 10:44 AM

More topics from this board

» Still Want Friends?

Aarronin - Apr 11, 2016

1 by aurora_yuuki »»
Nov 7, 2022 5:01 AM

» Difference between this and the manga

XqlucivE - Aug 20, 2020

3 by Rowd »»
May 19, 2022 11:40 PM

» Volume 11 spoilers ( 1 2 )

Kirigaro92 - Aug 24, 2015

58 by goldfishluke »»
Sep 1, 2021 1:36 PM

» Volume 10 of light novel in English?

DeamonLordZack - Jun 12, 2016

0 by DeamonLordZack »»
Jun 12, 2016 8:05 PM

» Hagani Novel from Vol.1 to Vol.10

Man4life - May 29, 2016

0 by Man4life »»
May 29, 2016 11:49 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.