Forum Settings
Forums

The shipping of Taichi and Sawa - where it began...

New
Sep 20, 2012 10:07 PM

Jul 2010
This is my overly analytic opinion on what the animators were doing when the scene in Episode 5 that started the Sawa x Taichi shipping was made.

I thoroughly expect that there will be some sort of indication in episode 13 that the two of them are going to be together going forward. If there isn't, I would be quite shocked. As the ANN reviewer mentioned in his review of episodes 1-6, the show doesn't try to fool you, it telegraphs what it is doing for several episodes in advance. Starting at episode 5, there have been subtle cues, first that Sawa might interested in Taichi, then that Taichi is also falling for her. If you doubt the bit about episode 5, rewatch the scenes where Sawa talks to Taichi after he looses in the Nationals and pay close attention to her face right before the scene shifts to Konatsu and Taichi's sister. (around 6:30 on CR) The look on her face is very suggestive, but what really struck me were the eyes. Her pupils are huge! A physiological reaction when one looks at a person they are attracted to or emotionally attached to, is dilation of the pupils. The animators are likely to know this too. Here are a couple of pictures as examples:
Sawa when she is approaching Taichi in the hall and sees him with his head hanging:

Sawa at the moment that I mentioned above:

Here is the eyes in those pictures, side by side:

The pupil in the left one (2nd picture above) is much larger than in the other one.

The animators of Tari Tari are too good to do something like this by chance. The same can be said for her body language in that scene. The way she is sitting, angled away from him, with her legs pressed together, hands on her thighs, and looking at him over one shoulder is practically taken right out of a "female courtship body language" guide. Are these types of things accurate, who knows, but if you are trying to subtly demonstrate that a girl is attracted to a guy, using these types of body language cues is a clear way to indicate it. When I saw it originally, the thought that went through my mind was, "She is teasing him and being coy. I wonder if this is a sign that she is falling for him?" The body language was a large part of it.
zensunniNov 12, 2012 12:57 PM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Sep 24, 2012 7:56 PM

Jul 2012
Yes, I started to have a feeling that they had a feeling for each other at that moment as well. Body language really told the story there. :)

Well, and now EP13 is out, so I guess you knew the answer already. So happy for them.

Toshino Kyoko!!!
Sep 25, 2012 7:21 AM

Jul 2010
sikandsak said:
Yes, I started to have a feeling that they had a feeling for each other at that moment as well. Body language really told the story there. :)

Well, and now EP13 is out, so I guess you knew the answer already. So happy for them.

Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» [OPEN]Sakai LE

TheAnaBanana - Jul 16, 2012

16 by iKuroNeko »»
Jun 14, 2014 2:35 PM

» [OPEN]Wien's LE

TheAnaBanana - Aug 12, 2012

17 by iKuroNeko »»
Jun 14, 2014 2:34 PM

Sticky: » Newsletter sign up ( OPEN )

PsychoKitteh - Jul 16, 2012

23 by iKuroNeko »»
Jun 14, 2014 2:33 PM

Sticky: » Member cards ( OPEN ) ( 1 2 )

PsychoKitteh - Jul 16, 2012

54 by iKuroNeko »»
Jun 14, 2014 2:33 PM

» DVD Release scheduled for June 25

zensunni - Mar 1, 2013

2 by Effnal »»
Apr 14, 2013 3:30 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.