Forum Settings
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Aug 6, 2012 3:05 PM

Mar 2012
So I just started reading the LN today and I finished up the first book. Now that SAO is cleared and Kirito has woken up, I'm just wondering where the LN will go from that point. I know that the second book contains mostly side-episodes, but the LN's gotten to book 10. Do Kirito and Asuna begin another adventure in another game, or does the game Sword Art Online continue in some shape or form?

Just wanna find out before I continue pouring time in...
Aug 6, 2012 3:24 PM

Jul 2011
it goes into the real world and you get a backstory on who asuna is and new characters are introduced and kirito is forced to enter the virtual world yet again in a new game Alfheim Online (ALO), i won't say anymore because of spoilers but its pretty awesome when it gets to volume 5-6 and then even more exciting when it reaches vol.9
Aug 6, 2012 3:24 PM

Jun 2008
volume 3 and 4 continue from where vol 1 left off, SAO is not quite gone yet. keep reading :0
Aug 6, 2012 6:56 PM
May 2010
so seems like they don't die IRL if they die in SAO? (please spoil me)
Aug 6, 2012 8:24 PM
Apr 2011

Prolly unnecessary for the spoiler tag, but oh well.

tezann_t said:
Do Kirito and Asuna begin another adventure in another game, or does the game Sword Art Online continue in some shape or form?

The LN series is one of my favorite that I've read. Definitely worth investing time in (also, SAO does continue in some shape or form, but it isn't much like how it was upon release - when you hit that point in the LNs, you'll see what I mean)
VhaeraunAug 6, 2012 8:33 PM
Aug 6, 2012 8:51 PM
Oct 2008
tezann_t said:
So I just started reading the LN today and I finished up the first book. Now that SAO is cleared and Kirito has woken up, I'm just wondering where the LN will go from that point. I know that the second book contains mostly side-episodes, but the LN's gotten to book 10. Do Kirito and Asuna begin another adventure in another game, or does the game Sword Art Online continue in some shape or form?

Yeah you have to read up to Vol 4 to completely finish off the SAO arc between Asuna & Kirito

Asuna and rest of the group inc the side character do appear in vol 3 & 4 they look similar + fantasy like looking since ALO is based on SAO kernel etc

Kirito appears in 2 other game for a special reason vol 5-6 focuses on a new character and diff kirito appearance which is an interesting arc that involves guns.

Vol 7 focuses on Asuna and her new friend, Vol 8 is just side stories on ALO and SAO

Vol 9 will begin an interesting arc called Alicization which I'm looking forward to I think it's similar to SAO in terms of settings and it's going to be the longest arc also Asuna may appear in it

If your just interested in how thing go just for the SAO arc then probably just stop at vol 4 and read side stories off the other volumes but I recommended you to keep going as the other arcs are interesting at first I was only interested in SAO arc only but I ended up spending many hours reading the other arcs
MrChuAug 6, 2012 8:59 PM
Aug 7, 2012 4:39 AM

Jul 2011
NNick said:
At the end of Volume 1, the creator of SAO actually didn't die, right?

Aug 7, 2012 5:05 AM

Sep 2011
About the SAO creator:

And no the people who died in SAO are dead, they aren't alive somewhere else either.
Aug 7, 2012 5:29 AM

Jun 2008
NNick said:
Why the hell did he want to kill everyone then? What's the point?

No, he doesn't want to kill anyone, shown by his effort to pay for all the medical bills of all the players till the game is cleared.

It's just one sick experiment, he just wants to see how people will react and clear his game in these conditions and situations. He wants people to clear his game seriously.

If he wants to kill everyone, he wouldn't need to carry all of them into the hospital, he can just fry their brains right there right now at that start of the game.

Visit this blog That I'm working with my friend
http://randomnessthing.com/
Aug 7, 2012 6:32 AM

Jul 2011
no, it was more about him wanting to create a fantasy world where people can actually live, he made the fantasy into a reality where you can really die and where you can live, he also wanted to create a beautiful new world where others can live and enjoy themselves like their in an adventure and eventually become the last boss

i for one would love to live in that kind of world if possible, so i can understand kayaba for wanting to create a world where your dreams can come true
Aug 7, 2012 7:09 AM

Jul 2011
NNick said:
Want to hear something funny?

When i was younger, way back when Play Station 1 was still popular, as a child i wanted to someday create a virtual world where everything i ever wished for would be real.

Sad story.

how is that funny?

peoples hopes and dreams isn't something to be laughed about

and why are you even talking about your life story when no one wants to hear it? -___-
Aug 7, 2012 7:21 AM

Jul 2011
NNick said:
Dreams are for fools, hope for weak.

thats your opinion, not everyone else's and certainly not mine

unlike you, im not a pessimistic person who has no hopes or dreams, i strive to achieve my dreams and hope is what fuels my ambitions
Aug 7, 2012 8:14 AM

Jul 2011
i don't know who you are nor do i care, so stop being so conceited
Aug 7, 2012 8:22 AM

Mar 2012
I'm guessing that by this point in the anime [ep.5] the side stories are mostly done (except for the one with the blacksmith, and even that one can be integrated fairly easily into the main plot) so it will move right into the parts where Kirito and Asuna can develop.

On that note, is this season 12-13 episodes or 25? Also, where is the LN in terms of plot progression? Does it look like the LN will end any time soon?
Aug 7, 2012 8:26 AM

Jul 2011
tezann_t said:
I'm guessing that by this point in the anime [ep.5] the side stories are mostly done (except for the one with the blacksmith, and even that one can be integrated fairly easily into the main plot) so it will move right into the parts where Kirito and Asuna can develop.

On that note, is this season 12-13 episodes or 25? Also, where is the LN in terms of plot progression? Does it look like the LN will end any time soon?

2 cours (two seasons of 12 episodes +1) (25 episodes), the LN won't be ending any time soon considering it is on volume 10 and the web version made it to volume 15ish
Aug 7, 2012 11:54 PM
Aug 2012
tezann_t said:

This might be a bit late but to answer your question, yes they go into another adventure. The current arcs are really interesting and I highly recommend reading them.

Like you've heard volume 2 is comprised of 4 side stories that add depth to Kirito's character but they also introduce a few new characters that become involved with the later arcs.

3-4, 5-6. 7, and 9-10 are the current arcs. Each arc is a new game with the exception of 7, it uses the game from volumes 3 and 4.

8 is filled with 3 side stories; 2 from SOA and 1 from ALO, the game from volumes 3 and 4.

9-10 isn't finished yet, the arc continues into 11, but so far it's been really interesting.

Hoped this helped!
Aug 9, 2012 4:06 AM

Dec 2011
I just finished up the 4th volume. I'm pretty invested in Kirito and Asuna's relationship and watching it develop further, but at the same time, I feel the story for them seems pretty much over.

I get that the other arcs are interesting, but are the characters as engaging? Do we see any more of Kirito and Asuna?
Aug 9, 2012 5:17 AM

Oct 2010
How many more episodes do you think there'll be until the real story starts?

Also, until what arc do you guys think the anime will go? Will it reach the ALO arc? (I haven't read the LN, so I don't know what there is to cover until ALO).
Aug 9, 2012 7:12 AM

Jun 2008
nerozone said:
How many more episodes do you think there'll be until the real story starts?

Also, until what arc do you guys think the anime will go? Will it reach the ALO arc? (I haven't read the LN, so I don't know what there is to cover until ALO).

Main story starts at episode 8, and they will adapt ALO in the 2nd cour most likely near episode 13

Visit this blog That I'm working with my friend
http://randomnessthing.com/
Aug 9, 2012 8:05 AM

Mar 2012
Draconalis said:
I just finished up the 4th volume. I'm pretty invested in Kirito and Asuna's relationship and watching it develop further, but at the same time, I feel the story for them seems pretty much over.

I get that the other arcs are interesting, but are the characters as engaging? Do we see any more of Kirito and Asuna?

You'll always see Kirito! Asuna, well, not as much in the GGO arc, which comes right after ALO. For some reason I feel like the author has really minimized her presence in vol. 5 and 6 even though she won't just disappear. This was disappointing to me too considering that I wanted to see more interaction between them after the ALO arc. The good news is that the author mentioned at the end of vol. 6 we'll be seeing more of Asuna in vol. 7. That's about all I know at this point.
Aug 9, 2012 9:08 AM
Aug 2012
Draconalis said:

Well, volumes 5-6 introduce a new girl, Sinon. She's pretty interesting as a character and is very distinct from all the current heroines ie. Asuna, lizbet, Suguha etc.

I don't know about engaging but her character has a unique appeal.

As for Kirito and Asuna. When they're together in the later arcs, they act as a couple. Reki Kawahara doesn't write anything excessive but they show devotion to each other during the crisis of each novel.

Now that the two have affirmed their relationship, Reki Kawahara has them separated for most of the novels. However the two develop as characters by overcoming "realities".
Idle_ObserverAug 9, 2012 1:56 PM
Aug 9, 2012 12:08 PM

Dec 2011
tezann_t said:
Draconalis said:
Snip

That's disappointing... but I suppose the characters would get stagnant if they were conjoined at the hip.

Idle_Observer said:
Snip

That was another thing I was concerned about. How often can the people really fall into these perils of one nature or another before it starts getting tedious.

I dunno... Maybe it's time to put the series down... at least for a time. Forgive me, but your assessment of the new characters seems to be "She's interesting... but she's not what you're looking for at this point."

It's one reason I'm not a huge fan of shifts in characters in series I enjoy. I already have established characters I want to watch grow. Maybe I'll give it some time and then try it out...
Aug 9, 2012 2:46 PM
Aug 2012
Draconalis said:
That was another thing I was concerned about. How often can the people really fall into these perils of one nature or another before it starts getting tedious.

I dunno... Maybe it's time to put the series down... at least for a time. Forgive me, but your assessment of the new characters seems to be "She's interesting... but she's not what you're looking for at this point."

It's one reason I'm not a huge fan of shifts in characters in series I enjoy. I already have established characters I want to watch grow. Maybe I'll give it some time and then try it out...

When I wrote, "she's interesting", it was simply to avoid spoilers. Well, I'm not actually sure if this qualifies but in just in case
Idle_ObserverAug 11, 2012 8:47 AM
Sep 28, 2012 10:57 AM
Jan 2012
To answer your question. You can stop reading after the first two volumes (heck even the first one since the second is side stories) and be content. However, in my personal opinion, never have i read such an engaging series. I craved more of the VR world. Even if the first one can be stand-alone and might be superior in terms of quality, the entire series is worth it.

More topics from this board

» Stuff that made you lower your score/rating? [Spoilers]

Kazu-chan-san - Feb 17

7 by RobertBobert »»
Feb 18, 10:26 AM

» Still feels rushed

Cneq - Nov 14, 2022

7 by Saynarra »»
Jan 19, 4:08 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Volume 4 Chapter 9 Discussion

Shadow_Strider - Dec 4, 2012

2 by eleonora_43 »»
Oct 14, 2023 4:23 AM

» Continue the LN after the last season

baltazak - Apr 5, 2023

2 by Anayan_Kashyap »»
Oct 13, 2023 2:52 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Chapter 2 Discussion

Kiba_Senpai - Nov 27, 2022

0 by Kiba_Senpai »»
Nov 27, 2022 4:20 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.