Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Sep 5, 2007 10:25 PM

Jun 2007
I tell you, I just wish the DVD would get here soon, two more weeks. I am dying to see this show dubbed, considering it was set in New York, I think the English Dub is only more appropriate, The Director of the Series: Steven Foster did a phenomenal job with Le Chevalier D'Eon and I am dying to see this show in english so badly.
Sep 7, 2007 12:24 AM

Aug 2007
JackCox said:
I tell you, I just wish the DVD would get here soon, two more weeks. I am dying to see this show dubbed, considering it was set in New York, I think the English Dub is only more appropriate, The Director of the Series: Steven Foster did a phenomenal job with Le Chevalier D'Eon and I am dying to see this show in english so badly.

As impressed as I am by Steven Foster's work on the Le Chevalier D'Eon dub, I'm not sure if I'm particularly looking forward to the Red Garden dub. I was initially, but after listening to trailers I've become slightly more wary. Still, Shelley Calene-Black as Lula has me (weak weak weak). It's a shame ADV hasn't put much (any?) effort into the overall Red Garden package with its jumbled designs and decided lack of extras.
Sep 7, 2007 11:46 AM

Jun 2007
Shelley does a great job with Lula, she only has a few lines in the opening episodes but I'm waiting to see the rest. A shame we don't get to hear Jose Diaz play Herve and I'm not sure when he speaks, Because he doesn't in Episode 1 and the same thing with Chris Patton as J.C. Lesley Tesh is great as Paula, but it's going to take a few episodes.
Nov 7, 2007 7:17 PM

Jul 2007
I have seen the first DVD and I am very impressed and a bit disappointed as well.

IMO, the casting was spot-on for just about all the characters, they sound like actual New York girls, lol.

I was disappointed at the musical scenes; Episode 1 wasn't so much a musical in the dubbed version as dialog was replaced by singing. In episode 3, i thought the singing was a bit terrible on the actors' parts.

Other than that, I thought it was pretty decent :)
Nov 18, 2007 2:00 PM

Jun 2007
Twilight_Elk said:
I have seen the first DVD and I am very impressed and a bit disappointed as well.

IMO, the casting was spot-on for just about all the characters, they sound like actual New York girls, lol.

I was disappointed at the musical scenes; Episode 1 wasn't so much a musical in the dubbed version as dialog was replaced by singing. In episode 3, i thought the singing was a bit terrible on the actors' parts.

Comment on the Singing, It was supposed to be terrible, so yes they did their job, In fact David Williams said that the singing is supposed to be god-awful.
Nov 18, 2007 4:40 PM

Jul 2007
JackCox said:
Twilight_Elk said:

Comment on the Singing, It was supposed to be terrible, so yes they did their job, In fact David Williams said that the singing is supposed to be god-awful.

I'm not doubting you, but where is the source of that?

Btw: I WANT THE BOX SET THAT COMES OUT SOON!
Nov 18, 2007 7:10 PM

Jun 2007
Twilight_Elk said:
JackCox said:
Twilight_Elk said:

I'm not doubting you, but where is the source of that?
Btw: I WANT THE BOX SET THAT COMES OUT SOON!

I was at a Anime Expo 2007 at ADV Films Industry Panel located there and Matt Greenfield and David Williams who are big honchos at ADV, were asked a question by me regarding Red Garden and I asked if they were going to have someone write the musical lyrics seperately from the Dialogue like they did in Nerima Daikon Brothers, they said that they weren't and then preceded to mention to everyone that the singing in the Japanese version was intentionally bad and that was exactly why they were making sure that in the American Version the kept the singing intentionally bad.
JackCoxNov 18, 2007 7:13 PM
Jan 8, 2010 1:16 AM

Mar 2008
I was a bit upset with the dub for a couple reasons. The one black detective was terribly and stereotypically written. I didn't get the same feeling from his character at all in the origanal, but perhaps I am mistaken.

Also I was very displeased with the comment they made about their own singing "I guess we shouldn't start our own band" or something like that. I particularly hated this comment because there is no moment in the original Japanese (aside from the dead girls OVA) that suggests they physically sing and rather that it could be an expression of there feelings that does not actually occur in real life. By adding this line in they made the singing physical which was really disappointing.
Mar 8, 2010 3:10 AM

Aug 2007
Sarif said:
I was a bit upset with the dub for a couple reasons...

I have to say I strongly agree with your comment about Neil's portrayal in the dub, his lines are embarrassingly stereotypical.

Acknowledging that the girls were singing rubbed me up the wrong way too, as these lines are soliloquies. You kind of defeat the dramatic purpose of a soliloquy when you address others.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Red Garden Episode 12 Discussion

mrzkitty - Mar 18, 2012

8 by Missynette »»
Oct 19, 2023 6:23 AM

» Worth Watching?

dustinator1991 - Jul 13, 2023

2 by removed-user »»
Jul 15, 2023 12:28 AM

Poll: » Red Garden Episode 22 Discussion

Katbot - Jul 11, 2009

34 by ProofByColor »»
Sep 18, 2022 4:07 PM

Poll: » Red Garden Episode 21 Discussion

AlexSadist-sama - Mar 1, 2011

12 by ProofByColor »»
Sep 18, 2022 3:39 PM

Poll: » Red Garden Episode 20 Discussion

AlexSadist-sama - Mar 1, 2011

7 by ProofByColor »»
Sep 18, 2022 8:06 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.