Forum Settings
Forums
New
Nov 1, 2011 3:47 PM
Aug 2011
I use to watch anime on my Desire HD using Moboplayer which is able to play ass subtitles in mkv container. Usually that works fine.

But some fansubs seem to use advanced ass features that moboplayer (as well as Diceplayer and MX Player) can't display correctly.

For example Gintama 66 (Rumble release). It has lots of notes in grey boxes and the video players always just show the subs with a lot of numbers around them instead of in a box at the top of the screen.

That wouldn't be a big problem but it blocks the main subs from being shown. Same for signs, these subs also block the main sub. So you can't follow any dialogue while they're displayed.

Does anyone know of an Android video player that can reliable display ass subs? Of course I could convert the eps to hard subs, but that'd be quite time consuming.
Nov 1, 2011 3:50 PM

Jan 2008
Playing ass?
Nov 1, 2011 3:51 PM

Sep 2008
watching HD rips on a flipping cell phone, can this world get any more stupid?
It doesn't think, it doesn't feel, it doesn't laugh or cry..... All it does from dusk till dawn is make the soldiers die.
Nov 1, 2011 3:52 PM
Aug 2011
Alpha-kudasu said:
Playing ass?
Yes, I came across that joke quite often while searching for that topic on google ... nice to see we added another occurance here. ;)

Jigero said:
watching HD rips on a flipping cell phone, can this world get any more stupid?
And what would you suggest? That I download a low res version especially for use on the phone? What would you call that, really stupid?

And just for the record:

Rumble's Gintama = 640x480 != HD
DHD display = 4.3" @ 800x480

In case you didn't know, MKV isn't only used for HD resolution. :)
bur2000Nov 1, 2011 4:40 PM
Nov 1, 2011 3:53 PM

Oct 2011
I'm also having trouble doing the same thing on my Desire HD. If anyone can help it'd be greatly apprecated.

Alpha-kudasu said:
Playing ass?

GTFO.
Nov 1, 2011 4:05 PM
Aug 2011
Haeyz said:
I'm also having trouble doing the same thing on my Desire HD.
I think this isn't DHD specific but a problem of the video players since Android doesn't support ass natively. So some video player developer would need to implement support for these features I guess.

If anyone can help it'd be greatly apprecated.
After the obligatory funny/brilliant remarks like Jigero's maybe something will actually come up. But I assume there just is no player that can do it yet. I send a sample sub to the Mobo devs. But I don't know if they're willing to spend much time on something only very few people will actually need.
Nov 1, 2011 4:23 PM

Oct 2011
bur2000 said:
I think this isn't DHD specific but a problem of the video players since Android doesn't support ass natively. So some video player developer would need to implement support for these features I guess.

I never meant to imply that I thought it was just the Desire HD, I just thought I'd mention that we're in the same boat haha!

Have you tried the Xda forums?
Nov 1, 2011 4:33 PM
Aug 2011
Yes, there's a thread from the author of Dice Player. I posted the problem there. If there's some news I'll post it here.

But I think re-encoding this with hardsubs might be the only solution for now. That'll also give you nice fonts instead of the generic Arial all android players seem to use. ;)
Nov 1, 2011 4:38 PM

Jan 2008
bur2000 said:
Alpha-kudasu said:
Playing ass?
Yes, I came across that joke quite often while searching for that topic on google ... nice to see we added another occurance here. ;)

Ass playing?

x2 on the same site

But I know there are a few apps for androids to watch these files, I downloaded a VLC app.

But I didn't read you whole post so I don't actually know what you're talking about, i'm just here for the ass.

x3 BOOYAH!
Nov 3, 2011 4:28 PM
Aug 2011
Seems like currently the only way is to recode them to hardsubbed video.

I tried some converters but none did support the advanced features of ASS. I'm using Avisynth/VirtualDubMod now which isn't as quick and easy as I'd like it to be for a video I'm only watching once on a mobile.

Apparently Xvid4PSP 5 (not 6 beta) is able to handle those subs correctly but I haven't tried it yet.
Nov 3, 2011 4:39 PM

Jul 2011
yes, as said above you'll need to convert them. i think a program called "Any Video Converter Professional" was able to convert mkv's with subs sometime for me, but i'm not quite sure. well atleast it's very noob friendly if you're new. brb, going to confirm.
datfagNov 3, 2011 4:42 PM
The Internet is a very bad place, you should never go there.
Mar 17, 2012 9:13 AM
Aug 2011
MX Video Player has full support for styled subtitles now. I just tried it with Gintama and it looks the same as on the PC.
Mar 17, 2012 10:57 AM

Oct 2009
I like ass as much as the next guy but sometimes I prefer my subs hard.

Sorry I couldn't help it...
Aug 3, 2012 2:02 AM
Aug 2012
I just find a step by step guide on how to successfully play HD MKV in 720p or 1080p on all kinds of Android based smart phones and tablet computers: convert MKV to Android more compatible video format like MPEG-4 at http://www.bigasoft.com/articles/how-to-play-720p-1080p-mkv-on-android.html

This guide helps to:

Play 720p or 1080p MKV on Android Phones including HTC, Motorola, Samsung, LG, Acer, Sony Ericsson and etc.
Play 1080p or 720p MKV on Android Tablets like Amazon Kindle Fire, Asus Eee Pad Transformer Prime, Barnes & Noble Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab, Motorola XOOM and so on.
Play HD MKV in 1080p or 720p on other devices like Samsung TV, Apple TV, iTunes, iPad, iPhone, BlackBerry, Zune, PSP, Xbox and more.
Play other video formats including WMV, MOV, MPG, AVI, DivX, FLV, WTV, MXF, MVI, ASF and more on Android Phones or Tablets.
Aug 3, 2012 2:19 AM

Dec 2011
Ass jkjkjkjk.
Aug 3, 2012 2:29 AM

Feb 2012
Inconscient said:
yes, as said above you'll need to convert them. i think a program called "Any Video Converter Professional" was able to convert mkv's with subs sometime for me, but i'm not quite sure. well atleast it's very noob friendly if you're new. brb, going to confirm.

What he said this is what you'll need to do you'll have to look up how to convert with the subs though. Playing a MKV on a phone isn't impossible but, it's unlikely since MKV is a high quality over small space. Most phones will play mp4 you'll be best if you convert them into that then, play them on your phone.
Mar 11, 2015 10:46 PM
Mar 2015
This article will introduce two methods to successfully play MKV on Android phone or tablets including Samsung Galaxy S5/4/3/2/1, Galaxy Note, Galaxy Tab, Sony Xperia, Google Nexus, Motorola Droid, HTC, LG, EVGA Tegra Note, Asus Transformer Pad Infinity, Kindle Fire HDX etc.
Step by step guide at http://www.idealshare.net/play-mkv-on-android.html
Mar 11, 2015 10:50 PM

Dec 2012
vplayer works.

trust.
[right]
"The big secret to breaking the rules is to make it look as though you're following them."
Mar 12, 2015 2:37 AM
Dec 2012
hey..what year is it?

Last reply is 2012 and bumping old thread is necroing.

More topics from this board

» Exploring the Intersection of Games, Computers, and Tech Support: A Guide for Android App Development Companies in Saudi Arabia

johnsrp - 6 minutes ago

0 by johnsrp »»
6 minutes ago

» whats your least favorite video game

_spoon_ - Dec 10, 2021

30 by Kajiuran »»
2 hours ago

» What's the best handheld console you recommend?

CursedFein - Apr 20

6 by rohan121 »»
5 hours ago

» Looking for more Anime Pixel Games

Astachanna - Apr 4

9 by Timeline_man »»
6 hours ago

» Are We Headed For Another Video Game Crash?

Retro8bit - Mar 15

14 by Timeline_man »»
6 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.