Forum Settings
Forums
New
Oct 25, 2011 3:00 PM

Oct 2011
Documentary explores the effects of being wired

Connected, a documentary by Webby Awards founder Tiffany Shlain, explores the global implications for being wired in the 21st Century.

The film, which took four years to make and partly focuses on Ms Shlain's connection with her dying father, attempts to explain the underpinnings of why humans choose to connect with one another through technology.

The film is now being played at select theatres in the US.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-15436421

One of my first thoughts. The Occupy Movement may not have happened without this.

Propagation of ideas, and the speed of certain information flowing through the Internet. Like memes and shocking news stories (like that girl who got run over).

And let's not forget the huge collection of idiots in the Internet (like myself) voicing and spewing out words here, there, and everywhere.

And more.

NOTE TO MODS: I meant to put this in General. Kyuu failed.

===

But to make this discussion anime relevant too:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anime#Distribution

Anime and the Internet has gone hand-in-hand. When the Internet grew, so did the interest in Anime. Be thankful for that.
Oct 25, 2011 7:14 PM

Mar 2011
I think it has its ups and downs. Yeah the Occupy movement and a lot of other things wouldn't have happened in the last several years that happened because of how connected people are. At the same time, I think that people are starting to get too wired, to the point where people feel the need to Facebook post and Tweet EVERY SINGLE THING that happens to them. Personally I do find out about a lot more news and information that I wouldn't have had access to even say 8 years ago. Hell I remember when Wikipedia didn't even exist, now I'm not sure that I could live without it.
Harems don't exist in America. If one guy is constantly surrounded by beautiful girls, then he's probably the gay friend.
Oct 26, 2011 11:16 PM

Jul 2010
Hey Kyuu46.... nice video share man.

I wish it would have been longer though since it was an interesting topic
Oct 26, 2011 11:30 PM

Apr 2011
If the Occupy movement were genuine (I have my doubts) then it wouldn't have needed social networking to come about. It simply made it more convenient and more of a sideshow for tourists. All in all though I prefer the wired world to a (wireless is inapplicable here I'd think) world.
“Suppose, gentlemen, that man is not stupid.”
Oct 26, 2011 11:31 PM

Aug 2008
metaldoom said:
Hey Kyuu46.... nice video share man.

I wish it would have been longer though since it was an interesting topic

I meant to put this in General Discussion. XD

===

But yea. I mean. Look at the Arab Spring. Or last night -- at Occupy Oakland. News and development of a story -- very very fast. Especially with portable devices - cell phones able to take video. Very small things connected to something very large - like oh - the Internet.

Instantaneous.

Then consider old media. I'm willing to assume -- TV networks still assume a "monopoly" on the information stream. They still present themselves as... the gateway to information. Wrong. Personally, I have things like CNN and FOX news tuned out. I don't need TV for my news. There's the Internet now.

My only use for TV nowadays: sports - or - if I'm in the mood to watch something random (where I don't need to actively search).
Click on this. I dare you. | MAL Fantasy Football League | Currently Watching List

RWBY Club. RWBY is anime. Deal with it.

Oct 26, 2011 11:35 PM
Feb 2010
Yeah, the ability to tell politicians to go screw themselves is great. Kennedy, LBJ, Ford and Nixon all got to do horrible things and no one really "knew" what they did, and if it was good or bad, until quite a while later. Nowadays, if a politician does something mundane, everyone knows about it in less than six minutes.

The biggest thing, I think, of the internet age is that anyone can access information now, no real obstacles in your way or anything. Forty years ago, if you got a librarian, say an experienced sixty-year old, and a sixteen-year old kid, and let's make it a black sixteen-year old girl to boot, and asked them to find out the GDP per capita of Guatemala as fast as you can, you'd bet on the librarian by a mile. Nowadays, you'd bet on the kid.

I think it'll be interesting what the internet does for higher education, though, since you can learn more about History, Sociology, Philosophy, and Political Science on Wikipedia in four hours than you would by taking a four-month class.
Oct 26, 2011 11:59 PM

Mar 2009
Lain is pleased.
Aug 10, 2012 11:44 AM

Jul 2010
nerb said:
Yeah, the ability to tell politicians to go screw themselves is great. Kennedy, LBJ, Ford and Nixon all got to do horrible things and no one really "knew" what they did, and if it was good or bad, until quite a while later. Nowadays, if a politician does something mundane, everyone knows about it in less than six minutes.

The biggest thing, I think, of the internet age is that anyone can access information now, no real obstacles in your way or anything. Forty years ago, if you got a librarian, say an experienced sixty-year old, and a sixteen-year old kid, and let's make it a black sixteen-year old girl to boot, and asked them to find out the GDP per capita of Guatemala as fast as you can, you'd bet on the librarian by a mile. Nowadays, you'd bet on the kid.

I think it'll be interesting what the internet does for higher education, though, since you can learn more about History, Sociology, Philosophy, and Political Science on Wikipedia in four hours than you would by taking a four-month class.

Interestingly enough think about how the radio was used to broadcast Pro-Union messages back in the day here in the US. Now its practically owned by corporations. TV.... Newspapers... Magazines.... mostly worthless information. Imagine having to argue with ISProvides about making certain sites more accessible. I think it was Turkey..not sure? in any case, the hackers there hooked up powerful routers every few hundred feet to create their own unfiltered internet network. cool stuff

More topics from this board

» Do you feel just not excited for anime these days? ( 1 2 )

anizawa89 - May 10

51 by a8612157 »»
21 seconds ago

» List of canceled anime.

ZXEAN - 7 hours ago

21 by WatchTillTandava »»
13 minutes ago

» Ever stopped watching an anime bc you like it so much ?

Yonahim_Zz - May 8

38 by NoelleIsSleepy »»
17 minutes ago

» mal/Confessions ( 1 2 )

NoelleIsSleepy - May 10

97 by NoelleIsSleepy »»
18 minutes ago

» Your biggest why …? ( 1 2 )

Yonahim_Zz - Today

58 by Tropisch »»
23 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.