Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jun 27, 2011 4:44 PM

Oct 2010
Warning: Do not read unless you've seen the last episode of Angel Beats

So.... Kanade (Angel) has Otonashi's heart...which means it was transplanted into her after Otonashi died....

So why was she in the Afterlife world waay before Otonashi even got there?

It was said on the first episode that Yuri's brigade was fighting against her for a long time...

Plus if she got his heart... she would live a bit longer.... unless the operation was a failure... which I doubt, because her reason for being in the Afterlife world was to thank Otonashi for extending her life.... so... It doesn't make sense to me... Anyone know how to explain?
Jun 27, 2011 4:54 PM

Aug 2008
BigBoss0327 said:

Go back to the very point where Kanade disappeared from the after life. She said her reason right there.

BigBoss0327 said:
her reason for being in the Afterlife world was to thank Otonashi for extending her life.... so... It doesn't make sense to me

A regret is a regret.
Click on this. I dare you. | MAL Fantasy Football League | Currently Watching List

RWBY Club. RWBY is anime. Deal with it.

Jun 27, 2011 4:55 PM

Feb 2011
BigBoss0327 said:
Warning: Do not read unless you've seen the last episode of Angel Beats

So.... Kanade (Angel) has Otonashi's heart...which means it was transplanted into her after Otonashi died....

It was said on the first episode that Yuri's brigade was fighting against her for a long time...

Plus if she got his heart... she would live a bit longer.... unless the operation was a failure... which I doubt, because her reason for being in the Afterlife world was to thank Otonashi for extending her life.... so... It doesn't make sense to me... Anyone know how to explain?

I've been thinking the same thing for a while lol, My guess would be that Otonashi didn't immediately go to the after life world (:/
Jun 28, 2011 10:03 AM

Jan 2008
KyuuAL said:
BigBoss0327 said:

Go back to the very point where Kanade disappeared from the after life. She said her reason right there.

BigBoss0327 said:
her reason for being in the Afterlife world was to thank Otonashi for extending her life.... so... It doesn't make sense to me

A regret is a regret.

all she said was she got lost and wandered there... Does that mean she's there even though she did not die?
Jun 29, 2011 2:37 PM
Dec 2007
They never said when they died. The only two people we have some sort of timeline for their death are Otonashi and Kanade, for obvious reasons. And for all we know Otonashi might have been lost in limbo for a while due to his amnesia.

Jul 1, 2011 2:15 PM
May 2011
I was really confused as well.
Looks like nobody has an actual answer to these.. and I guess that's why I gave Angel Beats a poor rating..
If she had his heart how did she diee? D:
SO CONFUSED.
Jul 1, 2011 3:40 PM
Dec 2007
epiklow said:
I was really confused as well.
Looks like nobody has an actual answer to these.. and I guess that's why I gave Angel Beats a poor rating..
If she had his heart how did she diee? D:
SO CONFUSED.
Obviously, dying... but more seriously the only requirement for being in that particular purgatory was to die with regret. Case in point, Yurippe doesn't die during the house theft, rather the events that day fill her with unending hate and regret. Kanade ended in that world merely because she lived with the regret of not being able to thank the one that saved her. Also, a heart transplant patient has an average lifetime of 10 years...after that they start rejecting the heart and a second transplant is required (which lasts even less). So Kanade had at most 15-20 years to live after she received the heart.

As for why Otonashi ended there after Kanade, no explanation. Either that world operates outside the laws of time or Otonashi spent a lot of time in limbo.

Jul 1, 2011 4:03 PM

Jan 2011
My guess is that time may be irrelevant to some extent.
Jul 11, 2011 7:12 AM

Jul 2011
I thought about that too but since it is only 13 episode we can only try to have a better guess, i think. But i dont really care anymore since it has finished unexpectedly emotion effecting for me. So what can i say? To make a really good and affective story, somtimes you should not care about deep part of it; if you do, you will only cause audience to be drowned in the details.
Aug 11, 2011 8:22 PM
Oct 2008
But didn't they say it like this in the first episode or don't remember where.
People who have regrets their souls wanders around the world until for some reason they arrived here. So maybe Otonashi was wandering around for years :p
Aug 11, 2011 8:27 PM

Apr 2011
Leon-Gun said:
They never said when they died. The only two people we have some sort of timeline for their death are Otonashi and Kanade, for obvious reasons. And for all we know Otonashi might have been lost in limbo for a while due to his amnesia.

That's what I think too. This is probably the strongest guess. He couldn't remember anything and probably was wandering for a long time before ending up here.
Apr 29, 2012 2:20 PM
Apr 2012
Angel wanted a normal childhood because of her worsening illness she was in and out of the hospital all the time. When she was in the Afterworld she was as happy as can be being friends with the NPCs and when the Afterlife Battlefront started attacking her she found out you can not die and built up the Hand Sonic. After having a normal childhood she really wanted to thank the man who tried to give her a childhood. He came to the Afterlife from Heaven but, he did not remember anything and joined the Afterlife Battlefront.

He was in heaven, then when she wanted him he was pulled out of heaven and put in the Afterworld because of her.
GothicRagDollApr 29, 2012 2:25 PM
May 5, 2012 4:24 PM

Apr 2012
GothicRagDoll said:
Angel wanted a normal childhood because of her worsening illness she was in and out of the hospital all the time. When she was in the Afterworld she was as happy as can be being friends with the NPCs and when the Afterlife Battlefront started attacking her she found out you can not die and built up the Hand Sonic. After having a normal childhood she really wanted to thank the man who tried to give her a childhood. He came to the Afterlife from Heaven but, he did not remember anything and joined the Afterlife Battlefront.

He was in heaven, then when she wanted him he was pulled out of heaven and put in the Afterworld because of her.

I'm not sure how correct this is, but I figured something similar, in which Otonashi was brought there due to Kanade having his heart and her regrets being related to him (After all, the afterlife place's purpose was to fulfil or get over regrets).
In terms of timeline I guess you can then attribute Kanade's regret being the stimulating factor of when Otonashi was brought there, so it probably has nothing to do with 'when' he died.

What I'm more curious about is where he was til then? the theory of 'wandering in limbo' may apply if Kanada somehow prevented him from moving on, but I'm less inclined to believe that he went to heaven, as the show somewhat implies that reincarnation exists (scene where the two recognize the song being played)
May 5, 2012 4:46 PM

Apr 2012
NNick said:
Space magic.

................i like
Dec 29, 2012 6:42 AM
Dec 2012

I'm not sure how correct this is, but I figured something similar, in which Otonashi was brought there due to Kanade having his heart and her regrets being related to him (After all, the afterlife place's purpose was to fulfil or get over regrets).
In terms of timeline I guess you can then attribute Kanade's regret being the stimulating factor of when Otonashi was brought there, so it probably has nothing to do with 'when' he died.

*did you guys saw the last part?where otonashi and kanade meet, while she was in a white dress and humming the song made by imasawa, then otonashi passed infront of her.
hmm.i think they are already in heaven, in that particular scenario..after each of them overcome their regrets, they finally went to heaven.
Dec 29, 2012 1:27 PM

Jul 2011
Spoilers for Angel Beats Heaven's Door (manga):

"Like this too we met in a dirty and ugly world; Thank you for this miracle."
Jun 23, 2015 8:28 PM
Jun 2015
I may have missed a part of the story, but lets talk about the programmer. The program stated that maybe the programmer was someone who lost their memory and came into this world by accident. What if, Otonashi was that programmer. That would explain the whole issue where Angel was there for so long before Otonashi's consciousness arrived. He couldn't find his peace and created a program to turn himself into an NPC (who I don't believe was mentioned again after the one time). When Angel was in the world, she was trying to help everyone find peace, but couldn't herself because she needed Otonashi. That may have been enough to reverse him from being an NPC, while possibly giving him amnesia of his time in the world before the others. This would mean he was in fact there before Angel which adds a little bit of sense to the confusing timeline.
Jul 20, 2015 2:35 PM
Jul 2015
I thought the same thing. This plot hole is the size of the Grand Canyon and kind of ruins the show for me.
Jul 21, 2015 1:39 AM

Sep 2014
Otonashi just didn't have regrets so there wasn't a reason for him to go to Afterlife I think.. But Kanade has been in Afterlife too long and because Otonashi wasn't there there was no way for her to fulfill her regret :l

More topics from this board

Poll: » Angel Beats! Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

game8910 - Apr 2, 2010

677 by copypasterCPS »»
12 hours ago

» Explanation

Vapor_AU - Apr 27

17 by Saimatsu_Fan »»
Apr 29, 11:38 PM

Poll: » Angel Beats! Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ShibuyaRiver - Jun 25, 2010

1752 by jilebi_james23 »»
Apr 23, 10:54 AM

Poll: » Angel Beats! Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ShibuyaRiver - Jun 4, 2010

662 by jilebi_james23 »»
Apr 22, 2:41 PM

Poll: » Angel Beats! Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ShibuyaRiver - May 28, 2010

565 by jilebi_james23 »»
Apr 22, 2:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.