Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 8, 2011 6:55 AM

Mar 2011
I recently brought myself a Bamboo Tablet. But i am not sure what i should begin drawing in order to improve my art skills. I am not trying to rush to improve my art skills but i would like to know what would be the best thing to start with.

I would really appreciate the advice.
May 8, 2011 11:40 PM

Feb 2011
I would. The more you draw, the better you'll get at drawing. I'm not a good drawer, but one day i decided to spend my night drawing. My first picture wasnt so good, but as I kept on drawing more pictures you can slightly see the improvement i was making. Just to show you in order, here is how i drew them

1st pic:

2nd pic:

3rd pic:

4th pic:

Has you can see the bid difference from the 1st pic and 4th pic

^^^^^Click^^^^
May 9, 2011 6:49 PM

Feb 2010
Human anatomy maybe? It's a must if you want to draw people whether they be real or anime since anime is based off real people. Don't believe people who say "It's my style!" when they draw anime with blatantly out of proportion body parts because most of the time they're new to drawing and just copied their favorite mangaka's style... and failed miserably yet deny it. If you're not so interested in people you might want to try drawing the things around you e.g. chairs, tables, beds etc. That definitely helps when it comes to drawing backgrounds.

Keep in mind though that whatever you draw, don't rely on online tutorials of "How to draw _____". Tutorials accustom you to certain ways of drawing something which will be problematic in the future when you try to branch out into other styles or find one of your own. The best way to learn is drawing things from sight. Drawing from sight also makes it easier to work on harder pictures that deal with different angles and perspectives. Sure it might suck at the beginning but it pays off in the long run.

P.S. This advice is not from a pro. Just another draw-er off the streets.
Jun 14, 2011 8:48 AM
Jun 2011
You want to be with a bamboo it has to do alot with position and mentality. First off, it might seem stupid and obvious but think of the pad as paper. That alone will improve your sense of sensitivity, with will increase the quality of your digital art.(this might be only for artists who are already experienced with a paper and pencil and is trying to get used to the bamboo pen)

Another important thing is positioning of the pad. Try to position it where you would normally draw, or whatever position you are most comfortable with. Don't let IT position you if that makes sense.

This third tip goes for any kind of art in general and it also might be obvious, you might not know if you didn't take an art class like me. But repetition is gold, the more movements your hand is used to preform with a pencil, the better your lines will end up looking like perfect. Think about it this way, you draw a circle for about a week straight, at the end of the week your circle will look great and will ALSO be easy to draw. You don't have to try so hard to make your drawings look good, your muscle memory in your hand will take care of it trust me. So yes, repetition. Do it. Its great.

And this last one kinda goes hand in hand with repetition. But drawing ALL the time will perfect your skill and is the most important think in my opinion. Just keep drawing till you can't draw anymore. It might be hard at first, from lack of motivation. And looking at your pics and saying, "I suck, ill just finish this drawing tomorrow'' well dont do that. Finish it! And the next day instead of starting on the same picture again, just draw a new picture. Don't worry about trying to make every picture look perfect, enough practice, and sure enough, you will reach the point were all your pics are very satisfying.

Like the above comment. I'm no pro, just from the streets, but very experienced.
Jun 14, 2011 3:17 PM

Aug 2009
Start off by drawing your favorite Characters -> Human Anatomy -> Still Figures -> Portraits -> Humans in Motion -> Focus on Male Anatomy -> Focus on Female Anatomy -> Backgrounds -> etc.

There's so much to draw, it would be good for you if you have a vision inside your head of what you want to create. Set a goal, for example draw a fully colored fight scene within a few days(considering that you only do it in your freetime).

IMO rough sketches should be drawn on paper, and then finished up in with a tablet.
Freehand drawing on paper is still easier.

Jun 14, 2011 10:55 PM
Jul 2018
^^ I agree, I find that, though tablets are smoother, they seem to be a tad bit more difficult to manipulate given that there's less tactility.
Jun 17, 2011 6:14 PM

Jun 2011
read up on theory (vilppu, loomis, etc), then use that theory when you draw. you can draw a lot and never improve because you don't understand basic perspective and form. obviously, if you draw enough, these things will gradually come naturally to you, but it's still a more efficient idea to read up on previous established art theory than try to learn everything from scrap. oh and also, study artists you like. doesn't have the be renaissance masters, but preferably an artist who has a solid understanding of form and basic skills.
Jun 19, 2011 8:00 PM

Nov 2010
makaiking said:
I recently brought myself a Bamboo Tablet. But i am not sure what i should begin drawing in order to improve my art skills. I am not trying to rush to improve my art skills but i would like to know what would be the best thing to start with.

I would really appreciate the advice.
I also bought a bamboo tablet from Dell's day of deals recently. I am loving it so far. (Completely off topic, sorry) Just thought it was funny you mentioned buying one, because I'm pretty sure I have the EXACT same one, hah.
Jun 19, 2011 10:25 PM

Jan 2009
practice a few things.

-drawing EXACTLY what you see. From small unusual shadows to tiny tendons on muscles. A lot harder than one would think.

-human anatomy is always great, and proportions +scale. Most people when drawing people will screw up on proportions.

Also some of my drawings on my profile is you wanna see;)
Jun 21, 2011 5:17 PM

Jun 2011
well for it it started out like this

1-doodled a lot in skool
2- force to take art class in skool
3- started to refine my skills and stop being lazy with shading
4- started drawing my own original things
5- start mimicking different styles that i see
6- started drawing anything

notes: your are never fully done with any work of art, all art have room for improvement but if you like it keep it

an example of my art is my avatar ololololololololo
Jun 22, 2011 9:06 AM

May 2011
Make sure that you draw something that you're interested in. There's nothing worse than drawing and it just ends up feeling like a task for you; make it as fun for yourself as possible, that way you're encouraged to do it more often and should find yourself improving a lot sooner.

The good thing about graphics tablets is that digital art is considered a lot easier to edit. Some good painting programs to use in conjunction with a tablet are Photoshop and Paint Tool SAI, both of which have free trials available from their websites.

I don't have all that much advice to give because I'd still consider myself new to digital painting, so I'm not really a master d: one thing I can say is don't be afraid to experiment, though. Don't be scared of making mistakes and go outside of your comfort zone to try out new things - trial and error was an important part of the learning process for me (:

More topics from this board

» Impact of Anime on India's Youth & Its effects on Family Dynamics- A Survey

Anituber69 - Apr 10

6 by Anituber69 »»
5 hours ago

» To Heart 2 Konomi Yuzuhara (MegaHouse 1/6, 2007/2024)

MasterTasuke - May 4

1 by MasterTasuke »»
May 4, 3:10 PM

» "Molly Ringwald"

MeanMrMusician - May 3

0 by MeanMrMusician »»
May 3, 7:57 PM

» Share Your YouTube Channel/Videos! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nin-tendo - Dec 16, 2022

366 by nin-tendo »»
May 3, 12:18 PM

» Konomi Yuzuhara ♥ Innocent Maid

MasterTasuke - Dec 17, 2023

4 by MasterTasuke »»
May 3, 10:58 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.