Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Apr 28, 2011 5:23 AM

Jan 2008
I've been thinking that the name is pretty strange for the anime, not to mention that so far it makes no sense for the anime to have such a name. The katakana (writing system for japanized english) reads "goshikku". At first I was okay with GOSICK because it made sense sound wise. But there are some words that are just not that simple. I mean we would have to ask the creator what the real name means. Personally I think the name of the anime should be "Gothic" as it also falls under "goshikku". Gothic would make a lot more sense because of the dress style presented shows a victorian style of dress. Now a days victorian is known more as gothic. I think. This could just be my personal opinion. What do you guys think?
RhodeknightApr 28, 2011 5:28 AM
Apr 28, 2011 2:55 PM

Oct 2009
I don't know for sure yet. Gothic would probably make a lot more sense in this case however. >_>

Apr 28, 2011 8:49 PM

Jan 2008
Kool. Actually, I asked my japanese teacher today and she confirmed that goshikku is correctly translated to gothic. I don't know if the publishers just decided to go ahead with the name gosick or what. Also i went to a japanese search engine and did an image search for goshikku and got hits for gothic architecture as well as clothing.
Apr 29, 2011 9:51 AM

Nov 2008
The only issue is the time period, Victorian era ended before 1924.

Apr 29, 2011 10:03 AM

Jun 2009
Well, Gosick sounds better than Gothic. Original too, so why compain?
レッツゴー ED イケイケゴーゴー
Apr 30, 2011 6:41 AM

Jan 2008
Usually I complain because the people in the United States have a tendency to butcher japanese and it really pisses me off. But thats a whole other topic because I know that the original light novels have the same title.
Apr 30, 2011 9:22 AM
Mar 2011
Actually the name Gosick makes it more interesting, because when you first see it you think that it may refer to completely different things and such.
May 1, 2011 12:09 AM

Jan 2011
OrochiPL said:
Well, Gosick sounds better than Gothic. Original too, so why compain?
Originality above langluage
aemin said:
Actually the name Gosick makes it more interesting, because when you first see it you think that it may refer to completely different things and such.

Win
There is like 2 weeks delay in my recent reading list
I randomly bought discount/second hand manga with cute/mysterious cover.

Use Personal Blacklist extension in Chrome if you just want to Google for a series synopsis, without google slapping MAL score in it.
3/1
Jan 13, 2016 4:25 AM
Jul 2011
I think GOTHIC sounds more appropriate, but using "GOSICK" (derivation of goshikku) isn't that bad.

But I wonder why can't they use former though, other than the latter is just a derivation. Maybe they can't use the word "GOTHIC" as it can be a potential copyright infringement of some sort?
Feb 8, 2016 2:42 AM

Apr 2013
shiratora said:
I think GOTHIC sounds more appropriate, but using "GOSICK" (derivation of goshikku) isn't that bad.

But I wonder why can't they use former though, other than the latter is just a derivation. Maybe they can't use the word "GOTHIC" as it can be a potential copyright infringement of some sort?

@Hyoroemon @Rhodeknight @Kyon2570

It's explained in one of the novel's postscript.
IIRC it's a play on word between GOTHIC (which in japanese is written/pronounced exactly the same as Gosick ) and the word "SICK", which was chosen for a completely different reason (relative to the peoples around the author, rather than the work itself).
That author loves to talk about the peoples around her in postscript, and she'squite often doing 10+ pages (up to 15!) postscript like that. And some are really among the funniest postscript I've read in my life (and I've read a lot, being a bookworm). So she's quite well known for this, and in her postscript, the peoples around her are often behaving very weirdly, doing/Saying/believing completely unreasonable or completely dumb things.
The editor did a play on word on her having so many peoples 'sick in the head" around her.
It's just for fun, and it's indeed making the title unique and different, so why not.
Not every title needs to be 100% relevant to the book themselves.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gosick Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Oosran - Jul 1, 2011

518 by BlueishDesert »»
Apr 18, 7:55 AM

Poll: » Gosick Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

tsubasalover - Jun 24, 2011

169 by gannoncannon55 »»
Apr 3, 7:36 PM

Poll: » Gosick Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Jun 17, 2011

114 by gannoncannon55 »»
Apr 3, 6:20 PM

Poll: » Gosick Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Jun 10, 2011

101 by gannoncannon55 »»
Apr 1, 10:49 PM

Poll: » Gosick Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Jun 3, 2011

85 by gannoncannon55 »»
Apr 1, 10:22 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.