Forum Settings
Forums
New
Nov 12, 2010 9:16 AM

Aug 2008
Alright, so after some sort of delay I finally got my copy of RF 3. A season into the game and I'm somewhat impressed. I was really surprised by the level of improvement in gameplay but there are still a number of elements that need to be worked on.

Review:

Overall: 7/10 (not weighted score)
Was a little apprehensive about buying this game, but I was in the mood for another portable title. Being in its essence a harvest moon game, it also has some replay value. For the hardcore RF fan I highly recommend it. For somebody new to the series you can start with Frontier, RF II, or just jump on the bandwagon with this.

That being said, I'm still early in the game but I am liking what I see so far. Can't really comment on the multiplayer aspect since I don't know of anyone else near me who bought this game.

I'm excited to see what they have in store for Oceans and hoping for a 3DS title in the near future.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Nov 17, 2010 7:47 PM
Feb 2009
For somebody new to the series you can start with Frontier, RF II, or just jump on the bandwagon with this.

lol.

Although I can't say the same about RFF (since I don't own a Wii), RF3 improves on almost every aspect in comparison to RF2. The different pace of the two practically makes them two completely different games. It was such a pain in the ass even setting foot outside of town in RF2 simply because combat was so cripplingly slow. RF3's vastly improved battle system actually makes it a viable choice for ARPG fans, while also making it more distinguishable from HM games. Also, there's little need to progress through the games in sequential order since the plotlines have barely any relation with one another (although the best marriageable characters from the previous 2 games make a reappearance in RF3 ;p).

If you're going to start playing Rune Factory, play this one. I'm a Harvest Moon fag, but I was never a fan of RF. In fact, this is the last game I thought I would enjoy as much as I did. RF3 makes RF2 look like crap. If I didn't like Harvest Moon as much as I do, I would have given up all hope for Rune Factory after playing RF2. This game has better character design in general (with the exception of the trap of a protagonist), not-as-shitty voice acting (English VAs, at least), superior battle system, and improved gameplay speed as compared to its predecessors.

Great review, though. In fact, first one I've read that wasn't titled something like "10/10 GET THIS GAME NOW GAME OF THE YEAR." The only score I particularly disagree with is your Music/Sound score. The improved voice acting alone would be enough to convince me that this game deserves an above average score in that category. The BGM isn't bad either. I didn't particularly like the OP myself, but something tells me that an upbeat song wouldn't be as fitting to a Rune Factory game, even after seeing RFF's OP.
Nov 20, 2010 2:41 PM

Aug 2008
I dunno, I'm probably one of the few that liked the generations thing in RFII. Though in retrospect, choosing the woman who would eventually squeeze you out from between her legs is kinds weird.

After sitting on the game a bit (read: playing it on the shitter), the music's actually grown on me. Maybe I should have divided up that category :V Still, nothing really stands out to me. Maybe the saving music. Voice acting is good as you said, and I'm surprised at some of the lines that managed to get voiced. As for the OP, I dunno, I think a lively beat suits RF. A colourful series deserves a catchy tune.

One thing I need to take back is the comment on farming. Is it just me, or is it a little more downplayed this time around? One can get by really easily with a few tilled plots and the other skills (ie. fishing, forging, crafting, cooking, etc.) to supplement.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Poll: » Favorite RF:ToD Female Marriage Candidate

RevolutionZeal - Feb 25, 2013

0 by RevolutionZeal »»
Feb 25, 2013 12:41 PM

» Who's better:Mist or Mana???

Selphie- - Apr 6, 2010

2 by Italybabegirl »»
Sep 30, 2012 12:02 PM

Poll: » Rune factory paradise contest #1:Best Hero!

Selphie- - Apr 5, 2010

5 by zarya7 »»
Jan 3, 2011 6:55 AM

Poll: » Poll-Favourite RFF heroine

Selphie- - Apr 6, 2010

3 by zarya7 »»
Jan 3, 2011 6:54 AM

» Member cards

Selphie- - Apr 5, 2010

6 by Kanashimi_Jigoku »»
Nov 18, 2010 4:32 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.