Forum Settings
Forums
New
Nov 1, 2010 9:34 PM

Apr 2010
Change it back to spam.... Name GD casual chat rather than spam being changed
Nov 2, 2010 2:13 AM

Nov 2008
Without a comprehensible reason, it won't be changed back. Besides, it's just a title. In due time, you'll accept it.
Nov 2, 2010 6:02 AM

Aug 2008
Also, the name "Spam" has been criticized too much for enticing random behavior, so it better stay as it is, unless one could suggest a better name for it.
Nov 2, 2010 6:03 AM

Dec 2009
Its still Spam on the inside.

Nov 2, 2010 9:15 AM

Mar 2010
what can be done

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Nov 3, 2010 4:28 PM

Mar 2009
I find it weird that it's called Casual Chat.. Spam sounds better.
Nov 3, 2010 4:31 PM

Jul 2008
For me it is and always will be called spam. 'casual chat' is just to stop the trolls having their fun, let 'em troll I say.
Nov 9, 2010 6:42 PM

Oct 2007
...so trolls can be trolls. xD

nah but seriously, it was far more entertaining when people could post random threads about whatever. i mean that is what a spam board should be there for- not for mods to get pissy about little stuff.

life is a dream
~death is reality
Nov 9, 2010 6:50 PM

Mar 2007
The only thing that's changed is the name. Other than that, it is still exactly the same festering shithole it always was.
You've come a long way, baby.
Nov 9, 2010 7:00 PM

Feb 2008
Merged topics.
Nov 9, 2010 10:50 PM

Dec 2007
xXnagashiXx said:
...so trolls can be trolls. xD

nah but seriously, it was far more entertaining when people could post random threads about whatever. i mean that is what a spam board should be there for- not for mods to get pissy about little stuff.

The Spam board used to have different purposes and a different content, however, after a certain period, MAL's spam boards started attracting trolls. That was not the intention, and to not let it escalate, Spam is changed into something less unguided. But really now, I don't see why this topic should be made as there's still Kaiserpingvin's topic and my topic that are very related and still open for discussion. Everything you need to know is in there anyways, so I suggest you take a look in them.
Nov 10, 2010 10:38 AM

Jun 2008
I agree that the name should be changed again. I can see where the word "spam" would encourage others to post non-sense, but calling it "Casual Chat" is also not a good idea. As I feel it will confuse many MAL users, in particular the newer members. Since there is already a "General Discussion," and some may find it too hard to tell the difference between the two.
Nov 10, 2010 2:25 PM

Jun 2008
If you're gonna change it..change it to Forum Games because thats exactly what that part of the forums has turned into.

Almost all the constantly bumped threads are forum games (say something about the person above you, rate the sig, rate the song, what are you listening to? ect...) GSTS is the only place where any 'casual chatting' actually occurs. So the current name really makes no sense for the place.
kinoholicNov 10, 2010 2:34 PM
Nov 11, 2010 7:47 AM

Apr 2008
Retro8bit said:
I agree that the name should be changed again. I can see where the word "spam" would encourage others to post non-sense, but calling it "Casual Chat" is also not a good idea. As I feel it will confuse many MAL users, in particular the newer members. Since there is already a "General Discussion," and some may find it too hard to tell the difference between the two.

I can understand this issue although in the end it just comes down to semantics. I think we should just wait until Xinil decides on the issue of sub-fora though as that would change the purpose of General Discussion completely. If we will have sub-fora there will be no more reason to change the title of Casual Chat. Only if he doesn't change it at all (including moderating policy) then we should start discussing changing the title of GD as it might be confused with the purpose of Casual Chat.
Kinoholic said:
If you're gonna change it..change it to Forum Games because thats exactly what that part of the forums has turned into.

Almost all the constantly bumped threads are forum games (say something about the person above you, rate the sig, rate the song, what are you listening to? ect...) GSTS is the only place where any 'casual chatting' actually occurs. So the current name really makes no sense for the place.

Although I see where you are going, chat threads constitute a large part of Casual Chat (still have to get used to not calling this spam : ) ). Taking the two largest, GSTS and Chat Thread - together they account for over 800,000 posts (excluding the old 13 editions of GSTS), which is half of all posts in that section and nearly more than all posts in all other forums put together. If you called the board "Forum Games", what would you do with chat threads?
Nov 11, 2010 11:12 AM

Jun 2008
Sohei said:

Although I see where you are going, chat threads constitute a large part of Casual Chat (still have to get used to not calling this spam : ) ). Taking the two largest, GSTS and Chat Thread - together they account for over 800,000 posts (excluding the old 13 editions of GSTS), which is half of all posts in that section and nearly more than all posts in all other forums put together. If you called the board "Forum Games", what would you do with chat threads?

I guess that does make sense.. I was just thinking of the amount of threads and not the amount of posts. My bad.

More topics from this board

» An "Anime Franchise" page

_cjessop19_ - 3 hours ago

0 by _cjessop19_ »»
3 hours ago

» Combining every season of an Anime?

Dennisss - Apr 1, 2021

17 by _cjessop19_ »»
3 hours ago

» Add the option to change profile favorites pictures

k1rb - Oct 21, 2022

19 by k1rb »»
Yesterday, 2:21 PM

Poll: » Add list setting to make notes private (on public lists)

S_h_a_r_k_93 - Nov 12, 2022

25 by anonymate »»
Apr 24, 9:57 PM

» Add number of episodes and number of members in the advanced search.

Yacine2104 - Jan 10

8 by Alexioos95 »»
Apr 24, 12:26 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.