Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 15, 2010 2:24 AM
Jul 2008
For a while I have been pondering The Anthropic Principle--and for a while I didn't really agree with it.
But, after watching the series again for the third time, something finally clicked in my head.

The explanation of The Anthropic Principle that is taken from the anime is in quotes.

“If something must be true for us, humans to exist, then its true because we exist.

I observe therefore the universe exists.

Humans, the intelligent life forms on this planet discovered the laws of physics and other physical constants and through those discoveries became aware for the first time of the existence of a universe bound by those observations.

Therefore, if the humans on Earth who observed this universe had not evolved to our current level there would be no one to make these observations and consequentially, the universe would remain unknown.

In other words, it wouldn’t matter if the universe existed or not,” if we weren’t around to observe it.

“In physics and cosmology, the Anthropic Principle is the philosophical argument that observations of the physical Universe must be compatible with the conscious life that observes it.” -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthropic_principle

Could the reasoning behind The Anthropic Principle be: ‘The existence of humans is the purpose for the existence of the universe’?

It sounds ridiculous and egotistical to say that ‘we’ are the purpose—therefore at the center—of the universe, when scientically speaking we know that we aren’t even at the center of our own galaxy nor are we at the center of our solar system.

In the matter of astrological physics, the universe does not care if we are alive or not. Our lives have no physical impact outside of our own planet.

This being stated, the Anthropic Principle could be considered to be nothing more than speculative theory.

However, there is more to this matter than just astrophysics…

Let’s take into account another law that governs our world and the way we appreciate it—Economics.

Does an apple that falls from a tree, hits the ground, rots, and never gets eaten hold any value?
The apple decomposes and its nutrients go right back into the tree.
Another apple falls to the ground and the cycle starts all over again.

And, I ask: “For what purpose?” The tree does not feel grateful for having given birth to a piece of fruit.
But, if person or an animal eats the fruit that person of animal gains the strength to live on because of the nutrients with in the fruit—only then does the fruit hold value.

A car that is built and never sold or driven has no value. In fact, it was a cost that was never rewarded nor justified. That cost did not bring any benefit.

You are not going to work 8 hours a day without pay, are you? Of course not—that would be cost without benefit.

The same is true for the uneaten apple.

For the tree, an apple that is not eaten is a waste of manufacturing resources. Of course, the tree is not conscious of this plight. The tree can go through this process of new growth and re-consumption a million times, if the fruit is not appreciated, does the fruit, the process or the tree hold any value?

The same question can be asked about the unobserved universe.

No matter how delicate, complex, dynamic, wonderful, beautiful and a million of values and qualities that we give the universe, the universe can not obtain these values and qualities by itself if no one is around to appreciate it.

Nothing has value without someone there to appreciate it.

That being said, the universe does not have any value without someone to appreciate its value.

With that in mind, our value and significance to the universe is our ability to consciously observe and appreciate the universe.

Another theory given by Christians who state: we are naturally at the center of everything simply because we are human. But, in the book of Genesis, of the Holy Bible, it states that God created the universe and us within it, because he was lonely, he was bored, and so created everything. Now as many times as mankind has mocked society and or creation by saying that “our lives must amuse the gods” or that “the gods must be laughing at us”—I doubt any rational human being wants to believe that we were created to be the center of God’s entertainment. If that is true—then perhaps we are just a bunch of clowns jumping up and down at the edge of a great chasm. I doubt anyone wants to believe that either.

And so I will go with the Anthropic Principle and say:

‘The universe gives us our value. We give the universe its value. Together, as a whole, we have value.’
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Nov 25, 2017 1:28 PM
Apr 2015
This is an interesting thought indeed. And there are many perspectives to think of.
Another perspective that has nothing to do with yours is:
'The world just wants to get to the minimal energy state and we were just created in the process.'
and 'Even though it has an insignificant chance, with infinite tries it will happen anyway.'

I like your idea of us giving the universe value.
A similar one is "it’s not our universe giving meaning to us, it’s we conscious beings giving meaning to our universe." - Max Tegmark

I also want to ask, where does the value of something's value come from?
I have never thought about that one before, so currently I don't have any good answers.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Could Haruhi Suzumiya be autistic?

Artdoroki - Nov 7, 2023

1 by Cablecords »»
Dec 18, 2023 1:16 AM

» Who is hotter Haruhi or Mikuru? ( 1 2 )

Takeru15 - Jan 13, 2009

95 by artemis-cr »»
Oct 23, 2023 11:42 AM

Poll: » Favourite character

Gurenn - May 4, 2011

3 by DreamingGhost »»
May 29, 2023 8:48 AM

Poll: » What would you like to be? ( 1 2 )

Arestyr - Nov 28, 2007

58 by metropyramid »»
Oct 21, 2021 6:40 PM

Poll: » which haruhi suzumiya SOS Brigade's character are you?? ( 1 2 3 )

BlackWing - Jan 25, 2008

145 by Sosbrigade_123 »»
May 19, 2021 2:28 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.