Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 24, 2010 4:26 PM

Jul 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
lol ownage
Sep 6, 2012 5:11 AM
Mar 2012
Fucking awsome, I loved the 4.5 inch gun taking out the planes, that was amazing
Dec 5, 2012 10:42 PM
Jan 2012
This is just fantastically infuriating. The IJN may just as well use the XO and co. as hostages to bend the Mirai to its will.

If the Mirai somehow recovers the XO and the history buff, they should just shun all contact and sadly hide in wait, destroy the Mirai, and live the rest of their lives in isolation. Next the Mirai is going to have to take out the Wasp.

Action-wise, I liked how superior the Mirai was in combat. As for the kamikaze-like attack, I wasn't surprised that Hutton would pull a gutsy move like that. Props to him for doing a small number on the Mirai. That's an ace pilot for ya.
Dec 16, 2014 1:03 PM

Jan 2013
Potentially the best episode of this show
Mar 24, 2016 3:00 AM

Oct 2014
This episode gave me the chills! Kikuchi character development is pleasing to look at.

Seems like Mirai has lost it jamming system which might prove to be a fatal blow in the near future. Partly it's Kikuchi's fault that he wished to play scare tactics on the American force but his actions could save lives as well. Yet it backfired on Mirai as americans are not backing down at all.

Next in store is the Tomahawk missile!
And fuck you Taki for keeping Kadomatsu and Yanagi as hostages.
I don't know why people write that they are approachable persons,
if you were you wouldn't be on MAL.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Extended families or lovers on MAL are a farce.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mar 24, 2020 11:12 PM
Oct 2018
lol, love the Japanese revenge fantasy/wish-fullfillment of a modern ship taking down Mustangs en masse.

Very different tone to the kill-less rest of the series, though. Still no blood or anything, but I almost expected them to have little animated parachute-guys bailing out of the shot fighters, to maintain the no-killing thing.
Apr 26, 2020 6:48 PM

Jun 2019
Apollo18 said:
Very different tone to the kill-less rest of the series, though. Still no blood or anything, but I almost expected them to have little animated parachute-guys bailing out of the shot fighters, to maintain the no-killing thing.

There's already been deaths in combat in earlier episodes though. 8 U.S. Marines were killed in close combat at nighttime in the jungles of Guadalcanal at the base of that muddy mountain and then it rained a torrent of blood in the beginning of the next episode to symbolize Yosuke being haunted by the carnage.

Plus, their creed from early on has been to minimize casualties inflicted on any party but even as a defensively operating force, at the end of the day the Mirai and the JSDF in general in the world of the show or the actual world is still an armed military force, and they've stated a willingness to employ lethal force, proportionately if possible, against any other Japanese in the Imperial Japanese Navy, Army, or Air Force or anyone in the U.S. military who attempts to attack the Mirai and endanger its crew. It's a doctrine based on proportionate self-defense, minimizing the risk or likelihood of armed conflict, and minimizing the scale or cost of it if unavoidable.
WatchTillTandavaApr 26, 2020 6:52 PM
Sep 1, 2021 10:37 AM

Mar 2016
The sick scheme is now showing its fruits of dirty labour, the American squadron is facing the overwhelmingly technologically superior warship and it kicks fucking ass. The cannon is finally being put to use, the sniper-accurate shots are the angel of death for the low flying torpedo bombers and the Aegis missile systems can more than easily handle all of the aircraft flying far and above Mirai.

However, the naivety of a man who has never tasted the bitter cruelty of war prevented Mirai from going all out on ALL of the planes. And with an ace pilot, one of the planes eventually reach Mirai herself, causing not only structural damage but also casualties. To Masayuki's defence, he held back in order to maintain the inexhaustible supply of missiles in Mirai, he's looking at this in a long-term view which is good, but doing so placed Mirai in a dangerous situation which is exactly what happened. A deadly compromise.

Now for the finale... A tomahawk missile, the big boy is about to be launched towards an entire aircraft carrier. They should save a couple to be rammed up Taki's scheming ass.

I find it ironic that the same effective US missiles that Mirai is using are used on US pilots.
ShadowkillZSep 1, 2021 10:50 AM
Sep 24, 2022 5:10 PM

Jun 2010
The goofy saxophone music that shows up so often seems a very unfitting accompaniment to what was just a one-sided massacre.

I wonder if the Mirai's speed, which for the 1940s is extremely high, could have been used to dodge torpedoes and foul divebombers’ attack alignments but I can’t say how risky it would be.
Dec 1, 2022 2:24 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
doubt has created chaos, a pity that people/soldiers who should not die continue to die!!! kekeke

More topics from this board

Poll: » Zipang Episode 26 Discussion

ballistique - Feb 14, 2009

23 by BigBoyAdvance »»
Jan 26, 8:07 AM

Poll: » Zipang Episode 13 Discussion

casen3ms - Dec 4, 2012

10 by The_JackMan26 »»
Apr 12, 2023 10:17 AM

Poll: » Zipang Episode 25 Discussion

abdulaziz1 - May 18, 2015

3 by Ranxomare »»
Dec 1, 2022 7:18 AM

Poll: » Zipang Episode 24 Discussion

Arnardi - Sep 7, 2012

4 by Ranxomare »»
Dec 1, 2022 6:07 AM

Poll: » Zipang Episode 23 Discussion

casen3ms - Dec 5, 2012

4 by Ranxomare »»
Dec 1, 2022 4:19 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.