Forum Settings
Forums
GTO: Great Teacher Onizuka
Available on Manga Store
New
Jul 2, 2010 1:18 AM

Jan 2010
What would you guys say to a GTO Remake following the manga up until the end? Would that interest you guys/would you watch GTO all over again? I'm only asking this because I just finished the manga and started reading GTO Shonan 14 Days, and I'm still wanting more lol. I think if GTO was reanimated like how Hellsing Ultimate and Fullmetal Alchemist were it would be a huge success seeing as how popular both Hellsing and Fullmetal Alchemist remakes are compared to the originals.

I'd also think that an epilogue put out once GTO Shonan 14 Days finishes would do the awesome character of Onizuka and his series justice. Doesn't have to be much, I just liked how in the end of Rurouni Kenshin that they had closure about what Kenshin's life became after all the stress and ordeals in his life calmed down. So I guess what I'm saying is a time skip of sorts showing all the characters of GTO and maybe the main characters from the prequel and Shonan 14 Days showing up as well. With everything tied up (as best as possible), relationships and all. Also some things are left unanswered like Mayu's revenge and what it's all about. Doing these things would definitely make Onizuka the best character of all time, or at least top 5 all time :D

On a side note, hopefully Shonan 14 Days gets picked up sometime soon.
VitaXJul 3, 2010 2:49 AM
Sep 3, 2010 11:46 PM
Feb 2008
Yeah it'd be cool but I don't think it's that probable.
Actually I'd love to see Shonan Junai Gumi made into a full fledged TV series more so.
Sep 13, 2010 8:43 PM

Oct 2008
The anime was fantastic so no, a remake would probably ruin it. However an adaptation of the arcs that weren't covered in the anime would be cool.
Sep 15, 2010 6:05 AM
Feb 2008
^ Yeah I'd rather see that over a complete remake too.

I was watching Tokyopop's interview with Fujisawa a while back and I noticed how he mentioned that he originally wanted to be an animator. I think it would so cool if Fujisawa became the animation director or something of a new GTO / Shonan Junai Gumi TV series. I know how unlikely it is, and how you probably can't just fall into that position from being a simple manga-ka without years of experience, but man it would be cool. I prefer Fujisawa's original character designs over what we got in the anime so much more.
Oct 22, 2010 6:20 PM

Jan 2010
BigSimo said:
The anime was fantastic so no, a remake would probably ruin it. However an adaptation of the arcs that weren't covered in the anime would be cool.
The anime was good until the last couple episodes where they completely went in a different direction. I dunno it didn't bother me as much until I read the manga. Then it really annoyed me how they took that direction to end the anime. Little things changed during the anime from the manga weren't necessary either. That's why I think a complete remake would be better.
Oct 22, 2010 6:24 PM

Jul 2008
Why fix what isn't broken? :/ Even with that ending it was still good, even compared to the manga. IMO, the manga's ending was farfetched anyway.
Now if they brought out a full SJG and not just 5 OVAs I'd be happy.
Oct 22, 2010 9:19 PM

Jan 2010
BakaKawaii said:
Why fix what isn't broken? :/ Even with that ending it was still good, even compared to the manga. IMO, the manga's ending was farfetched anyway.
Now if they brought out a full SJG and not just 5 OVAs I'd be happy.
All I'm saying is if Fullmetal Alchemist can be remade like it was and be a huge success still, there's no reason why GTO can't be since it was more acclaimed in Japan then Fullmetal Alchemist was. I don't see why people would be against it as it's just more GTO. I don't see how the ending in the manga was far fetched as opposed to the one in the anime which was just crap but whatever. Only reason I'm saying remake is because of how they screwed the ending of the anime up anyways. Can't really do a sequel true to the manga when the ending was him leaving.
Oct 23, 2010 6:53 AM

Jul 2008

The anime was pretty much the same (minus a few differences and being pretty much lighter) up until the last two episodes.
It wasn't "screwed up" though, it's one of the better anime adaptions: him sacrificing himself for his students and in the end him moving on to another place.
If they did decide to remake it then what... they'd have to rush through 14 volumes of manga (even worse than FMA:B), making it worse for newcomers, all for a manga ending.
Oct 23, 2010 7:14 PM

Jan 2010
BakaKawaii said:

The anime was pretty much the same (minus a few differences and being pretty much lighter) up until the last two episodes.
It wasn't "screwed up" though, it's one of the better anime adaptions: him sacrificing himself for his students and in the end him moving on to another place.
If they did decide to remake it then what... they'd have to rush through 14 volumes of manga (even worse than FMA:B), making it worse for newcomers, all for a manga ending.
Yeah that was far fetched, but it didn't bother me as much as him leaving the school. I don't really care of its manga ending or not, I just think animating the next 100 chapters would be worth it, even if they change some things here and there. You mention about them rushing through the 14 volumes in a remake if they did reanimate GTO, but I don't think it would bother many people. Yeah FMA:B did take that approach but almost all the people who watched FMA:B most likely watched FMA as well. Either way a successful version of what I'm talking about would be Hellsing Ultimate. Starting over from the beginning was great, but then again Hellsing changed directions from the manga soon after a couple episodes so that is probably why they decided to do Hellsing Ultimate from the beginning. I'm just saying if they would ever animate the next 100 chapters in the manga it'd be a big hit like the original was.
Oct 24, 2010 7:24 AM

Jul 2008
You can't really rush through the volumes for GTO, from what I remember a lot of it was important.
FMA: half way through it went in another direction.
Hellsing: 4/5th episode.
GTO: right at the end.
Big difference between the 3, sure it might be popular if they redid it, but it's not really necessary when the anime was good as it is.
Jun 1, 2011 2:19 AM

Apr 2008
I'm not sure if I'm the only one who feels this way, but the manga felt as though it ended at least an arc or two before it was planned to - there were at least a couple of storylines that weren't finished up, it really felt like it suddenly ended.
Jun 15, 2016 7:48 PM
Dec 2015
My answer is kinda late but yeah it seems that some arcs are missing, some chapters, some lines, some characters too. The missing characters and many of the changes that the Studio Pierrot did would hurt a possible sequel to the first anime. A more respectful reboot (including the missing dialogues and jokes, chapters, characters) would be a better way to finish the whole thing, the GTO anime is loved and acclaimed for what it adapted from the source material but the fact is it's far from being "a good adaptation" when it left so much things and went into a semi-filler copy of an old Shonan Junai Gumi arc (with Kadena Nao's arrival) which made no sense and was lacking in quality compared to its original arc. If Hunter X Hunter could do it, if FMA could too why is it so impossible for GTO to do the same ?
Sep 23, 2017 5:29 AM

Jul 2009
it can't be quick enough. They should just do it and follow the manga! :D
Oct 7, 2017 7:42 PM
Jul 2018
It would been pretty awesome! This could eventually turn out to be another 9 MAL rating anime if they can animated some cool part(especially the last few chapter) of the manga very tactfully. Also I am sure many new people missing this show because of its age who could eventually like this. Since live action had a remake, So I am still losing hope for this one as well!

Speaking of studio, I am not sure which studio will dare to adapt all 200 chapters. No I don't want studio pierrot ever to adapt this nor toei.
removed-userOct 8, 2017 12:20 AM
Nov 11, 2017 5:00 PM
May 2017
I actually would love that and I don't understand why it hasn't been done yet tbh
Jan 7, 2020 12:11 PM
Jan 2020
I enjoyed watching the original Anime when I first saw it. But I always felt that the ending feels kind of rushed and also I wanted more GTO anime. I got to read the original manga and I have to say that the story of the manga is way superior compared to the anime especially the tear-jerking ending of it. I don't mind a reboot or just continuing from they're school trip Okinawa and continue following the manga story line.
Apr 28, 2020 6:16 AM
Feb 2019
I would totally love a reboot that was more faithful to the manga. Sure the anime was faithful enough, but the changes or cuts from the source totally botched it. The manga's ending and resolution to it's characters' issues were also done waay better. Especially Aizawa. I find it hard to believe this character the anime built up as one who has such hate and spite for teachers/grown up's to just change her perspective so quickly the way the anime did. It took a complete break down of her issues to finally get her to see the light.

On the other hand I also don't want a reboot, since the anime captured the 90s feel of the story so perfectly. The retro old school animation and atmosphere even the damn music (such a great soundtrack haha) of it suits it. One simply cannot recreate perfection no matter how hard we try to replicate it.

BUT..
If it can be done. To not only bring the manga's full story to this new age of anime audiences, but also retain that 90s feel under a good director and animation studio. Then I'm totally game for a reboot.
May 20, 2020 12:23 PM

Oct 2019
This NEEDS to happen. I don’t know why this hasn’t happened yet.
Pandora Hearts is the best manga ever made and deserves an anime reboot

More topics from this board

Poll: » Great Teacher Onizuka Chapter 200 Discussion ( 1 2 )

simo000 - Sep 26, 2009

63 by beybladee »»
Apr 17, 8:03 AM

Poll: » Great Teacher Onizuka Chapter 175 Discussion

Rasco - Jan 25, 2012

6 by Stefff32 »»
Nov 28, 2023 8:35 PM

Poll: » Great Teacher Onizuka Chapter 167 Discussion

Rasco - Jan 25, 2012

5 by Stefff32 »»
Nov 28, 2023 10:05 AM

Poll: » Great Teacher Onizuka Chapter 124 Discussion

kiririnshi - Jul 14, 2010

5 by Stefff32 »»
Nov 22, 2023 9:39 PM

Poll: » Great Teacher Onizuka Chapter 18 Discussion

Rasco - Jan 21, 2012

5 by Largestgwaph »»
Nov 14, 2023 5:06 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.