Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 2, 8:57 PM

Apr 2021
I enjoyed the movie but I don't really agree with the core idea of the movie. That movies should be 1hr 30mins long. I think the idea of a time limit is wrong. Anything more that 3hr 30min is way too long to sit through but you shouldn't just limit it to a short length either. Just give the story as much time it needs without going too far.

What do the rest of you think?

Edit: i wanna add that the idea that more people want to watch shorter movies might be subjectively right but objectively it's quite wrong. Most of the commercially successful movies these days are pretty long. Even most of the highly acclaimed movies of all time has a length around 120-150 minutes. And this movie being slept upon doesn't really help either.
mshfqtnyMay 3, 1:24 AM
May 2, 9:10 PM
Dec 2021
I agree that there are some movies that need time and a few of my favourite ones are more than 2 hours long. Generally speaking though, I agree with the idea presented in the movie. It’s frowned upon on in the movie scene to say you don’t enjoy long movies just because they are long, yet I can’t help but agree. 1 hour and 30 minutes is long enough to tell a great tale and if I see a movie is only 90 minutes or less I’m more keen to watch it.

May 2, 9:15 PM

Apr 2021
Reply to Eleben
I agree that there are some movies that need time and a few of my favourite ones are more than 2 hours long. Generally speaking though, I agree with the idea presented in the movie. It’s frowned upon on in the movie scene to say you don’t enjoy long movies just because they are long, yet I can’t help but agree. 1 hour and 30 minutes is long enough to tell a great tale and if I see a movie is only 90 minutes or less I’m more keen to watch it.
@Eleben i understand the reasoning to not like super long movies. But my problem is this movie kind of forces the idea. Like it has to be 1hr 30 mins long.
I want to say that if you can unleash the best potential of the anime in a short time then alright but if not, there's no reason to make to movie short.
May 2, 9:24 PM
Dec 2021
I don’t remember how they phrased it in the movie but I mean I kind of agree that if you want to make the PERFECT movie it has to be 90 minutes or less for me. Of course there are exceptions though.

I also think that there is a reason to make something short. If you want to make something with commercial success you have to keep the consumer in mind and therefore reduce duration because it makes the movie more comfortable to watch imo.
If you want to make something for your own then make the movie as long as you want since it’s not about what the audience wants anymore. It’s about what you want.

May 2, 9:50 PM
Mar 2021
definitely i agree depends on the content or plot
Anime Rules the world
May 3, 12:19 AM
Jul 2021
agree............
May 3, 12:24 AM
May 2020
I think you’re taking that a bit too literally. The author is expressing a preference, I don’t think they’re literally saying all movies longer than 90 minutes should be shorter. That’s definitely not the film’s “core idea”.

I prefer films that are shorter than 100 minutes, but obviously some films demand a longer runtime. It’s pretty rare that a film should be longer than three hours, but there are examples of it working. If you don’t like the idea of a time limit, why are you setting one at 210 minutes?
May 3, 12:48 AM

Apr 2021
Reply to onespankman
I think you’re taking that a bit too literally. The author is expressing a preference, I don’t think they’re literally saying all movies longer than 90 minutes should be shorter. That’s definitely not the film’s “core idea”.

I prefer films that are shorter than 100 minutes, but obviously some films demand a longer runtime. It’s pretty rare that a film should be longer than three hours, but there are examples of it working. If you don’t like the idea of a time limit, why are you setting one at 210 minutes?
@onespankman first of all, that WAS the core idea. The climax and the biggest part of the movie was about cutting scenes. Even the movie's last line refers to that. And about the 210 minutes thing, i didn't want to mean it as a limit. I just wanted to say that that is the most people might want to sit through.

I know the '90 minutes' thing isn't important. The author's message was that good films should be short and it should only include most necessary parts which i disagree. That is my preference.
May 3, 1:22 AM
May 2020
Reply to mshfqtny
@onespankman first of all, that WAS the core idea. The climax and the biggest part of the movie was about cutting scenes. Even the movie's last line refers to that. And about the 210 minutes thing, i didn't want to mean it as a limit. I just wanted to say that that is the most people might want to sit through.

I know the '90 minutes' thing isn't important. The author's message was that good films should be short and it should only include most necessary parts which i disagree. That is my preference.
@mshfqtny The core idea is celebrating cinema and the process of creating movies. The climax of the film is about wrapping up editing, of course it involves cutting scenes. That's just how editing movies works, you have to cut out most of what you shot for the sake of pacing. Any climax centered on editing will involve cutting out scenes, this really doesn't suggest "films should be short" is the core message.

Yes, the MC is aiming at a 90 minute runtime, and yes, it seems the author prefers a 90 minute runtime, but are they stating all films should be short? I don't see any reason to believe that. Again, this is the author putting a personal preference into the movie. That last line is pretty clearly a joke, the MC says he likes that his film is 90 minutes at 90 minutes.

In no universe is the core idea of this movie "movies should be short". It's about artistic passion and the creative process.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Eiga Daisuki Pompo-san Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Feorg - Dec 27, 2021

54 by Jack-Kai-Lantern »»
Mar 27, 8:40 AM

» What yee yee ass dance was Natalie doing?

iamthinking - Feb 5

3 by mhkr »»
Feb 5, 3:38 AM

» How is this not popular?

JSimpson2000 - Mar 31, 2022

17 by Zarutaku »»
Oct 8, 2023 7:57 AM

» A Missed Opportunity for Gene's Character Development

IHateThis69 - Apr 30, 2022

3 by Gbpabloa »»
Aug 10, 2022 11:03 PM

» Canada: Is the SUB not premiering here?

zz0 - Apr 24, 2022

1 by zz0 »»
Apr 26, 2022 5:09 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.