Forum Settings
Forums
Overlord (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Apr 14, 1:05 AM
Mar 2022
Crunchyroll to Bring OVERLORD: The Sacred Kingdom Anime Film to Theaters in North America, Select International Regions

https://www.crunchyroll.com/news/announcements/2024/4/9/crunchyroll-overlord-the-sacred-kingdom-anime-film-north-america-international
Apr 26, 12:38 PM
Sep 2023
So when you mean international and in the specified regions for it to be available in theatres, does that mean there will be an English Dub version?
Apr 27, 1:42 PM
Mar 2022
Reply to sung_jinzero_69
So when you mean international and in the specified regions for it to be available in theatres, does that mean there will be an English Dub version?
@sung_jinzero_69 there is 99% chance it will have an English dub. Dub voice actors hinted at it and also Crunchyroll screening it outside of Japan is obvious it will also have a dub or sub version in theatres. Not too knowledgeable about dubbed anime and its schedule though, I rarely watch dubbed stuff, especially with Overlord since the Japanese voice actors are top tier.
Apr 27, 1:50 PM
Sep 2023
arc1only said:
@sung_jinzero_69 there is 99% chance it will have an English dub. Dub voice actors hinted at it and also Crunchyroll screening it outside of Japan is obvious it will also have a dub or sub version in theatres. Not too knowledgeable about dubbed anime and its schedule though, I rarely watch dubbed stuff, especially with Overlord since the Japanese voice actors are top tier.

Thank you very much, I really love both the English and Japanese versions of Overlord but if I'm being completely honest I love the English version more - especially Ainz's Dub VA.๐Ÿ™ƒ
Apr 27, 1:51 PM
Mar 2022
sung_jinzero_69 said:
arc1only said:

Thank you very much, I really love both the English and Japanese versions of Overlord but if I'm being completely honest I love the English version more - especially Ainz's Dub VA.๐Ÿ™ƒ

I've listened to the audiobooks of Overlord thats narrated by the Dub VA of Ainz he is great.
Apr 27, 1:55 PM
Sep 2023
arc1only said:
sung_jinzero_69 said:

I've listened to the audiobooks of Overlord thats narrated by the Dub VA of Ainz he is great.

So about the light novel....is it really darker than the anime? Like is it much much much darker, cause I've seen a lot of comments online about the anime being vanilla icecream compared to the light novel.
Apr 28, 10:30 PM
Mar 2022
Reply to sung_jinzero_69
arc1only said:
sung_jinzero_69 said:

So about the light novel....is it really darker than the anime? Like is it much much much darker, cause I've seen a lot of comments online about the anime being vanilla icecream compared to the light novel.
@sung_jinzero_69 The anime in general is great itself, but it is a VERY EXTREMELY poor adaptation of the Light Novels. almost 40% of the content is straight up skipped. The anime does the dark scenes kinda well overall in my opinion. The dark parts they are talking about are mainly consisting of the details of such scenes that aren't talked about in the anime. The REAL dark parts of OVERLORD are mainly prevalent in volumes 12 and 13 that the anime hasn't covered yet. The movie will cover these volumes. This upcoming OVERLORD movie, if adapted well, will show some seriously evil messed up shit. I'm honestly happy that these volumes are a movie though (even though it will rush them), because volume 12 and 13 are very messed up and also action heavy, so the better animation and less censorship will be great. Even with the lesser constraints on censorship with the movie, I highly doubt they could still show some of the scenes in this movie. They might alter the scenes, or skip them entirely like a cutaway. The movie will definitely make the anime seems like vanilla ice-cream for sure though lol. compared to the novels, the anime is less darker for sure though.

for a good example, remember that scene from Season 3 episode 1 where Mare met with Pulcinella? After giving Mare the bathing information circular, Mare asked what Demiurge was up to, Pulcinella then said "breeding experiments" and then went on saying I must go bring happiness to many and left. This is the same scene in the excerpt in the novel -->

"B-by the way, what is Demiurge doing now?"
"Crossbreeding experiments. Crossbreeding is possible between
humanoid races but impossible between humanoid and subhuman races. How
sad! Just because two lovers are of slightly different races, their love cannot
bear fruit. Demiurge is endeavoring to rescue them from those unfortunate
circumstances, to create the possibility between humanoids and subhumans!"
He practically sang in a sonorous voice, spreading his arms wide and looking
to the heavens.
"Ah, how rude of me. I could not help but be excited by Demiurge-sama’s kindness as he works to make people smile. Please forgive me.”
“Er, okay, I don’t mind.”
“Demiurge-sama has even said that he would allow himself and the others โ”€ the demons โ”€ to be sacrifices so as not to make others hate themselves. What a noble spirit of self-sacrifice! I, Pulcinella, am moved to tears by it.”
Pulcinella rubbed at his eyes through its mask. Of course, he was not crying. Even his voice sounded the same as always. He did not sound sad at all.
“...Why do people hate him?”
“I do not understand either. Why would the kind Demiurge-sama incur the hatred of others? But Demiurge-sama said so himself. Yes, yes, please listen to this, of how kind Demiurge-sama really is. Last time, Demiurge-sama said that it would be a shame to let the livestock starve, and so he roasted up the children of both sides whole, and served them up to each other. Surely a cruel and merciless person would not have swapped them first, but served them up directly, no?”
“R-really?”
“But of course. And in order to allow the parents of both sides to bid their children farewell, Demiurge-sama even invited them to the dinner table… Demiurge-sama specially allowed them to say goodbye with a smile… I am sure that nobody other than the Supreme Beings could be as compassionate a person as he is! ”
As he watched Pulcinella prattle on, Mare went “oh” in an uninterested tone.
arc1onlyApr 28, 11:03 PM
Apr 29, 6:46 AM
Sep 2023
arc1only said:
@sung_jinzero_69 The anime in general is great itself, but it is a VERY EXTREMELY poor adaptation of the Light Novels. almost 40% of the content is straight up skipped. The anime does the dark scenes kinda well overall in my opinion. The dark parts they are talking about are mainly consisting of the details of such scenes that aren't talked about in the anime. The REAL dark parts of OVERLORD are mainly prevalent in volumes 12 and 13 that the anime hasn't covered yet. The movie will cover these volumes. This upcoming OVERLORD movie, if adapted well, will show some seriously evil messed up shit. I'm honestly happy that these volumes are a movie though (even though it will rush them), because volume 12 and 13 are very messed up and also action heavy, so the better animation and less censorship will be great. Even with the lesser constraints on censorship with the movie, I highly doubt they could still show some of the scenes in this movie. They might alter the scenes, or skip them entirely like a cutaway. The movie will definitely make the anime seems like vanilla ice-cream for sure though lol. compared to the novels, the anime is less darker for sure though.

for a good example, remember that scene from Season 3 episode 1 where Mare met with Pulcinella? After giving Mare the bathing information circular, Mare asked what Demiurge was up to, Pulcinella then said "breeding experiments" and then went on saying I must go bring happiness to many and left. This is the same scene in the excerpt in the novel -->

to the heavens.
"Ah, how rude of me. I could not help but be excited by Demiurge-sama’s kindness as he works to make people smile. Please forgive me.”
“Demiurge-sama has even said that he would allow himself and the others โ”€ the demons โ”€ to be sacrifices so as not to make others hate themselves. What a noble spirit of self-sacrifice! I, Pulcinella, am moved to tears by it.”
Pulcinella rubbed at his eyes through its mask. Of course, he was not crying. Even his voice sounded the same as always. He did not sound sad at all.
“I do not understand either. Why would the kind Demiurge-sama incur the hatred of others? But Demiurge-sama said so himself. Yes, yes, please listen to this, of how kind Demiurge-sama really is. Last time, Demiurge-sama said that it would be a shame to let the livestock starve, and so he roasted up the children of both sides whole, and served them up to each other. Surely a cruel and merciless person would not have swapped them first, but served them up directly, no?”
“R-really?”
“But of course. And in order to allow the parents of both sides to bid their children farewell, Demiurge-sama even invited them to the dinner table… Demiurge-sama specially allowed them to say goodbye with a smile… I am sure that nobody other than the Supreme Beings could be as compassionate a person as he is! ”

Yep, much darker than the anime ๐Ÿ’€. So I guess I'm gonna read the novel from Volume 1, seeming how the anime skips 40% or more of the content.
sung_jinzero_69Apr 29, 7:23 AM
Apr 29, 7:05 AM
Isekai Trucker

Oct 2015
Reply to sung_jinzero_69
arc1only said:

to the heavens.
“R-really?”

Yep, much darker than the anime ๐Ÿ’€. So I guess I'm gonna read the novel from Volume 1, seeming how the anime skips 40% or more of the content.
@sung_jinzero_69 You totally should. Hopefully you'll catch up and read the The Sacred Kingdom arc before watching the movie. That is one heck of a good arc to read in my opinion.
Today, I may be a weak little bug that gets tossed in the wind,
washed away by the currents, and drowns, but tomorrow,
I may become the butterfly that spreads its colossal wings and flies the open skies!

~ Oe Kintaro
Apr 29, 7:21 AM
Sep 2023
Azuchi said:
@sung_jinzero_69 You totally should. Hopefully you'll catch up and read the The Sacred Kingdom arc before watching the movie. That is one heck of a good arc to read in my opinion.

Ok, I will but it's gonna take me awhile though - my reading and watchlist is waiting for me(โ โ•ฅโ ๏นโ โ•ฅโ )
Apr 29, 8:13 AM
Mar 2022
sung_jinzero_69 said:
arc1only said:

to the heavens.
“R-really?”

in the Overlord subreddit FAQ, there is a google drive link at the top where all 16 current volumes are btw
Apr 29, 12:43 PM
Sep 2023
arc1only said:
sung_jinzero_69 said:

in the Overlord subreddit FAQ, there is a google drive link at the top where all 16 current volumes are btw

Wow thanks! You saved me the trouble of having to find it....but....how's the translation?
Apr 29, 12:49 PM
Mar 2022
sung_jinzero_69 said:
arc1only said:

Wow thanks! You saved me the trouble of having to find it....but....how's the translation?

the ones in the google drive are Fan translated and 2x better than the official yenpress translation. the official translation is pretty mediocre and not good. The fan translated version is so much better and really good. thats the version thats in the google drive link
Apr 29, 12:53 PM
Sep 2023
arc1only said:
sung_jinzero_69 said:

the ones in the google drive are Fan translated and 2x better than the official yenpress translation. the official translation is pretty mediocre and not good. The fan translated version is so much better and really good. thats the version thats in the google drive link

Ok I'll try it now and thanks a lot,you've been really helpful towards me!

More topics from this board

» FULL TRAILER OFFICIALLY RELEASED!

arc1only - Mar 21

12 by sharosharo »»
Apr 24, 7:01 AM

» They should focus on one punch man

Naveen6662246 - Dec 13, 2023

19 by datgenericbaka »»
Apr 10, 6:37 AM

» Visual teaser released on official twitter

Chanbara - Aug 19, 2022

9 by tsubasalover »»
Feb 27, 1:23 AM

» needs to be a long movie

Zprotu - Jul 21, 2022

23 by ShadowkillZ »»
Feb 22, 7:50 AM

» Teaser Trailer Released

arc1only - Jan 5

7 by Yuiit »»
Jan 14, 11:39 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.