Forum Settings
Forums

Way of setting all titles to the English version by default

New
Apr 9, 5:59 AM
Sep 2021
Essentially the option lists currently have but apply it to the whole website. The decision to give every anime/manga separate English and Japanese titles even when they usually don't is incredibly dumb in some cases. No one on the face of the planet calls it Shinseiki Evangelion. I just want to call it Neon Genesis Evangelion like the normal people.
Apr 29, 7:02 PM
Apr 2024
I fw this
Apr 30, 5:57 AM

Sep 2019
Actually a similar thought occurred to me (because I have the English title list setting turned ON) when comparing user profiles for affinity / scores and whatnot... the titles there are mostly all in Japanese and I am not used to some of them, so I had to do a back-and-forth to decipher each entry.

It would be cool if the list setting extended at least to the shared.php page.
S_h_a_r_k_93May 15, 3:37 AM
Did you know that Notes are public? How do you personally use them?
Cast your vote and add a reply to this suggestion to let the devs know:
Add list setting to make notes private (on public lists)
Apr 30, 6:39 AM

Feb 2024
+1
It would be fantastic if it were possible to use international titles universally instead of original ones.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Apr 30, 8:03 AM

Aug 2018
Same here, I'm so used to the English titles for the Neon Genesis Evangelion movies.
May 1, 8:16 AM
Sep 2021
Reply to S_h_a_r_k_93
Actually a similar thought occurred to me (because I have the English title list setting turned ON) when comparing user profiles for affinity / scores and whatnot... the titles there are mostly all in Japanese and I am not used to some of them, so I had to do a back-and-forth to decipher each entry.

It would be cool if the list setting extended at least to the shared.php page.
@S_h_a_r_k_93 That’s why I’m surprised this function doesn’t exist already. You can already do it for lists, why can’t it apply to the entire website?
May 2, 2:15 AM

Sep 2019
Yeah.. that's just like for private (profile) notes which already exist, but despite public list notes are mostly used for private things (according to the poll in my signature), there's no setting to turn them private (whilst retaining a public list).

Did you know that your anime notes are public? :P Tell me in the topic below.
May 2, 5:41 AM

Feb 2023
From my understanding, they're still working on this (I at least very much hope that this is not abandoned)

The lead admin talked about adding the option for changing languages on the entire site in February 2020: English Titles Added to Desktop; Moving Towards a Romanized/English Toggle
When we first began discussing this change, the development team also began actively planning the Main MAL Title/English Title toggle (that the community and moderation team has wanted for nearly 10 years), which would allow logged in users to change the titles they see across the entire site (e.g. Anime/Manga lists, Reviews, Recommendations, etc). For the moment, we are planning on only allowing these two options, but I think we can envision a future where official titles in multiple languages are tracked in the database and are also able to be used.

It took them almost 2 years until the end of 2021 to add the toggle for the anime/manga lists (List Title Toggle: Main Title, English, and more)
Now it's two and a half years since they added the toggle, and we still can't change titles for the rest of the site.

I think they just need more time, but I honestly have no idea what takes them so long. I wish they would give us an update.
May 2, 5:46 AM

Sep 2019
Oh that's a great find! Thank you for sharing it Vaturna; it's like... spot-on actually!
Yeah the issue boils down to the same old one: 99% of the topics here are unanswered.
May 2, 10:30 AM

Sep 2016
skyblade743 said:
No one on the face of the planet calls it Shinseiki Evangelion. I just want to call it Neon Genesis Evangelion like the normal people.

I simply call it Evangelion or Eva, because that's included in both titles. If a common denominator exists, that's often how I call an Anime.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.

More topics from this board

» MAL needs a "Year in review" function at the end of every year.

OhlLonesomelMe - 2 hours ago

0 by OhlLonesomelMe »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Change picture of favorite character ( 1 2 )

gehoti2822 - Nov 12, 2022

68 by Shion_Rosenheim »»
4 hours ago

» Loosen Review Guidelines

Unrighteous - May 6

1 by Autonomia »»
4 hours ago

» The Beginning After The End Manhwa

D4rK_Br0Ly - May 19, 2023

4 by machy871 »»
May 19, 10:26 PM

Poll: » Reduce Club Message Cooldown from 1 week to 6 days.

fluffycow17 - Jul 26, 2022

4 by fluffycow17 »»
May 19, 1:45 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.