Forum Settings
Forums

An option to change volume count for an entry based on where you've read the manga

New
Mar 27, 6:26 PM

Nov 2018
Let's say that I've completed JoJo part 1, but I have the 3 hardback volumes from VIZ Media. The MAL entry only reflects the Japanese volume count, but the translated version of the manga will not often have the same volume count (usually combining chapters from multiple volumes into slightly bigger volumes). So instead of 5 volumes, I would've read 3.

For this idea, I was thinking that we could have a new option tab in the row where we enter read volumes/chapters. This tab would automatically be for the default (Japanese) version (for JP physical copy, official online copy (both JP and other languages), or for scanlation where we all pirate the manga). It would show as "Select Version", but we can also select "Japanese" as one of the options and nothing will change.

Using VIZ as an example, if we do manage to have an official release from a foreign publisher(s), then we can open the tab and select the other option(s) that have been added in by the DB mods. So for JoJo part 1, I would go to the tab and select "VIZ Media" and wait a couple of seconds for the page to update and for the volume (and chapter?) count to be changed.

I think this would be better than just labeling the entry as 3/5 volumes completed, since those two extra volumes would've counted towards our read time and it wouldn't look good in our lists.

For series that have been published as omnibuses (both as individual and omnibus, like One Piece or Vagabond) we could add VIZ to the option list twice with each official version of the translated volumes, and we could somehow make the read time of each omnibus volume equal to however many volumes were combined into one.

I think it's about time we start considering translated physical copies of manga as a way to keep track of what we've read seeing how widespread and popular manga has become around the world.

Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Check out my list of emojis you can copy and paste in the forums here. List will expand in the future.
Apr 8, 10:34 PM

Apr 2021
Another suggestion by this dude, straight to the trashbin lol - every mod on this board

More topics from this board

» An "Anime Franchise" page

_cjessop19_ - 3 hours ago

0 by _cjessop19_ »»
3 hours ago

» Combining every season of an Anime?

Dennisss - Apr 1, 2021

17 by _cjessop19_ »»
4 hours ago

» Add the option to change profile favorites pictures

k1rb - Oct 21, 2022

19 by k1rb »»
Yesterday, 2:21 PM

Poll: » Add list setting to make notes private (on public lists)

S_h_a_r_k_93 - Nov 12, 2022

25 by anonymate »»
Apr 24, 9:57 PM

» Add number of episodes and number of members in the advanced search.

Yacine2104 - Jan 10

8 by Alexioos95 »»
Apr 24, 12:26 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.