Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 23, 2:29 AM

Oct 2021
Want to know if any new information about the api rate limit exists in 2024.
yes.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Jan 24, 6:54 AM
四十二

Mar 2016
Hi, there are no updates on this.

My rule of thumb is that you should be fine as long as you keep sending no more than 2 requests per second from the same IP.
HTCPCP/1.0  ★ MetaMAL  ★ Picture credits: Living & 1041uuu
Jan 27, 6:44 AM

Oct 2021
ZeroCrystal said:

My rule of thumb is that you should be fine as long as you keep sending no more than 2 requests per second from the same IP.

Thanks, I needed it for my project.
yes.
Mar 22, 1:26 PM

Apr 2023
Reply to ZeroCrystal

@ZeroCrystal I've been doing some testing with mal-api.py API wrapper and encountered a 3-5 min cooldown (response = 504) after around 300 sequential requests, sometimes less, usually a little more. mal-api.py says the default req rate is 1/sec. I just assumed this was coming from MAL, not the API. Am I wrong?

p.s. Really appreciate all the time and effort you put into answering questions here.
Mar 22, 2:33 PM
四十二

Mar 2016
Reply to SnoopyInOrbit
@ZeroCrystal I've been doing some testing with mal-api.py API wrapper and encountered a 3-5 min cooldown (response = 504) after around 300 sequential requests, sometimes less, usually a little more. mal-api.py says the default req rate is 1/sec. I just assumed this was coming from MAL, not the API. Am I wrong?

p.s. Really appreciate all the time and effort you put into answering questions here.
@SnoopyInOrbit Unfortunately, the real rate limits for the API have never been disclosed since its creation. Most developers set a delay of around one second between requests to avoid getting rate-limited, but it's a value that just came from empirical experimentation.

After the latest incident, I believe MAL decided to put in place an additional layer of rate limiting to temporarily block clients from sending hundreds of requests in a short time.

There's not much we can do about this. My suggestion is to back off for a few minutes when you trigger the rate limiter and then resume your job.
Mar 22, 3:22 PM

Apr 2023
Reply to ZeroCrystal
@SnoopyInOrbit Unfortunately, the real rate limits for the API have never been disclosed since its creation. Most developers set a delay of around one second between requests to avoid getting rate-limited, but it's a value that just came from empirical experimentation.

After the latest incident, I believe MAL decided to put in place an additional layer of rate limiting to temporarily block clients from sending hundreds of requests in a short time.

There's not much we can do about this. My suggestion is to back off for a few minutes when you trigger the rate limiter and then resume your job.
ZeroCrystal said:
There's not much we can do about this.
Indeed.

I'm happy to work within the limits, it's just nice to know about them in advance. On the other hand, I do enjoy solving puzzles and puzzling out the behavior of the API has been at least a little bit satisfying.

I've already added cooldown logic that polls in 1 min intervals until the restriction lifts.

For those interested in details (YMMV):
  • Cooldown varies between greater than 3 min and less than 5 min. I never saw a cooldown longer than 5 min.
  • The number of requests between cooldown periods varied a lot so there must be other factors besides request rate at play. The longest uninterrupted run of requests I saw was about 390 at 1/sec. The shortest was about 140. The average seemed to be around 300.
  • Changing the request rate (slightly) didn't seem to help: 1 req/1 sec, 1 req/2 sec, 1 req/4 sec all seemed to result in similar cooldown throttling. At 1 req/2 sec, the additional delay is about the same as the nominal cooldown so adding longer delays won't improve throughput.

I tested over the course of two days, but it wasn't rigorous - just me observing the behavior. Given the variability, you are going to need a dynamic solution or you are potentially going to lose significant throughput.
Mar 22, 4:12 PM
四十二

Mar 2016
Reply to SnoopyInOrbit
ZeroCrystal said:
Indeed.

I'm happy to work within the limits, it's just nice to know about them in advance. On the other hand, I do enjoy solving puzzles and puzzling out the behavior of the API has been at least a little bit satisfying.

I've already added cooldown logic that polls in 1 min intervals until the restriction lifts.

• Cooldown varies between greater than 3 min and less than 5 min. I never saw a cooldown longer than 5 min.
  • The number of requests between cooldown periods varied a lot so there must be other factors besides request rate at play. The longest uninterrupted run of requests I saw was about 390 at 1/sec. The shortest was about 140. The average seemed to be around 300.
  • Changing the request rate (slightly) didn't seem to help: 1 req/1 sec, 1 req/2 sec, 1 req/4 sec all seemed to result in similar cooldown throttling. At 1 req/2 sec, the additional delay is about the same as the nominal cooldown so adding longer delays won't improve throughput.

I tested over the course of two days, but it wasn't rigorous - just me observing the behavior. Given the variability, you are going to need a dynamic solution or you are potentially going to lose significant throughput.
@SnoopyInOrbit Thanks for sharing your test results!
Mar 23, 3:57 AM
Jul 2023
Reply to SnoopyInOrbit
ZeroCrystal said:
Indeed.

SnoopyInOrbit said:
Cooldown varies between greater than 3 min and less than 5 min. I never saw a cooldown longer than 5 min.

I experienced longer than this (12 mins to be exact) but my internet may be the worst one on the planet, so...

Changing the request rate (slightly) didn't seem to help: 1 req/1 sec, 1 req/2 sec, 1 req/4 sec all seemed to result in similar cooldown throttling. At 1 req/2 sec, the additional delay is about the same as the nominal cooldown so adding longer delays won't improve throughput

100% true
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Unannounced API maintenance ? ( 1 2 )

Jhiday - Jan 31

73 by AxtoMax »»
Apr 26, 9:46 PM

» Which endpoints support nsfw query param?

crimson-megumin - Apr 21

2 by crimson-megumin »»
Apr 23, 2:29 PM

» Cant build the URL

tamcio_ - Dec 4, 2022

4 by Jotzy »»
Apr 22, 4:35 AM

» I made a new anime recommendation system for MyAnimeList

Asudox - Mar 21

4 by Asudox »»
Apr 11, 2:58 PM

» Some Animes Missing on API Reponse

Niccol0 - Jan 26

3 by ZeroCrystal »»
Mar 15, 3:44 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.