Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 19, 2023 8:49 AM
Dec 2023
IMO this movie feels a lot like a lighthearted version of Pan's Labyrinth. For example,

Both movies have a creature that acts as a guide for the MC

In both movies the MC has lost a parent and they have a sibling that is yet to be born

Both movies have the MC dragged into a fantasy world that is essentially a labyrinth

In both movies a servant plays an important role

In both movies the MCs' ancestry makes them eligible to be the next ruler of the fantasy world but they need to complete tasks to prove their worth

The themes of death and rebirth are prominent in both of the movies

What do you think?
Dec 20, 2023 11:07 PM

May 2017
interesting. there is also WW2 going on in both stories, with the father figure being employed and has a career to do with benefiting from the war.
Dec 21, 2023 2:48 PM
Sep 2019
Yeah I mean it definitely has shades of Alice in Wonderland, Wizard of Oz, Pan's Labyrinth, and Miyazaki's own Spirited Away. They're all kind of their own subgenre I think. But I agree, I definitely did think of Pan's Labyrinth a lot specifically. Ultimately I think the characters and the themes Del Toro and Miyazaki are exploring are completely different, but there are definitely a lot of parallels in the world and narrative.
Dec 21, 2023 2:49 PM
Sep 2019
demision said:
interesting. there is also WW2 going on in both stories, with the father figure being employed and has a career to do with benefiting from the war.

It was the Spanish civil war in Pan's Labyrinth but yeah
Dec 27, 2023 12:20 AM

Jul 2021
@somecoal Pan's Labyrinth is one of my favorites, so I'm glad to see it mentioned. That movie is always in the back of my mind whenever I watch "weird" fantasy. Thanks for actually writing out and sharing a detailed comparison.

I would like to add that the most interesting thing about putting these two side-by-side is what (I think) they're saying about the fantasy world.

(Pan's Labyrinth spoilers below:)

Mahito enters the fantasy world for the sake of his family, but he never really believes this world is as meaningful and important as the real world. The fantasy world is revealed to be an artificial one and a failure, and he even states that he's not "worthy" enough to shape and rule over it.

To me, it felt like Miyazaki was stressing the importance of tackling the real world head-on, instead of escaping into one's fantasy or imagination, no matter how alluring. I found it interesting that he would say that, since a huge draw to his movies is the fantastical settings and stories. Could he possibly have felt the need to "correct" how people view his movies? Is this feeling related to his "anime was a mistake" quote, where he felt that the industry that he helped grow was not engaging with the "real world"?

Even though both filmmakers tell fantastical stories that are still deeply human, it looks like they have very different feelings about what they've been doing until now, or at least what people think they've been doing.

I wonder if age plays a role in this, so that Del Toro will come to feel differently in the future? Or maybe he is aware but just hasn't made a movie in that tone? Or maybe he already has?

If Miyazaki makes another movie after this, what would he say about this particular issue (if he has it on his mind at all)?
Dec 29, 2023 11:15 AM
Apr 2019
Reply to perseii
@somecoal Pan's Labyrinth is one of my favorites, so I'm glad to see it mentioned. That movie is always in the back of my mind whenever I watch "weird" fantasy. Thanks for actually writing out and sharing a detailed comparison.

I would like to add that the most interesting thing about putting these two side-by-side is what (I think) they're saying about the fantasy world.

(Pan's Labyrinth spoilers below:)

Mahito enters the fantasy world for the sake of his family, but he never really believes this world is as meaningful and important as the real world. The fantasy world is revealed to be an artificial one and a failure, and he even states that he's not "worthy" enough to shape and rule over it.

To me, it felt like Miyazaki was stressing the importance of tackling the real world head-on, instead of escaping into one's fantasy or imagination, no matter how alluring. I found it interesting that he would say that, since a huge draw to his movies is the fantastical settings and stories. Could he possibly have felt the need to "correct" how people view his movies? Is this feeling related to his "anime was a mistake" quote, where he felt that the industry that he helped grow was not engaging with the "real world"?

Even though both filmmakers tell fantastical stories that are still deeply human, it looks like they have very different feelings about what they've been doing until now, or at least what people think they've been doing.

I wonder if age plays a role in this, so that Del Toro will come to feel differently in the future? Or maybe he is aware but just hasn't made a movie in that tone? Or maybe he already has?

If Miyazaki makes another movie after this, what would he say about this particular issue (if he has it on his mind at all)?
@perseii Cant provide the source so I cant claim its 100% accurate but im sure I read somewhere that miyazaki said this isnt his last movie. IGN wrote an article about it here, but at the same time you have to take some of the stuff for granted since brainstorming ideas doesnt instantly guarantee he'll make another movie

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kimitachi wa Dou Ikiru ka Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

__potato__ - Jul 14, 2023

71 by LoveLikeBlood »»
May 1, 8:38 AM

» North America Home Video Release in 4K/Blu-Ray

AddaeAkono - Apr 29

0 by AddaeAkono »»
Apr 29, 8:29 AM

» Releasing in India

Aryu1410 - Apr 26

2 by Aryu1410 »»
Apr 27, 11:11 PM

» Opened to $74.1M 5-day weekend in China

OvergrownRover - Apr 7

6 by Mohamed_Salim »»
Apr 15, 5:24 AM

» Arriving on Netflix

Aryu1410 - Mar 23

5 by riksuave »»
Mar 26, 1:48 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.