Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
A Certain Magical Index (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Nov 27, 2023 10:05 AM
May 2023
I've been reading the Index novel and noticed that the character's personality didn't translate very well in the anime adaptation.

Accelerator has a really interesting past, but little explored, we don't know who his parents are or what his real name is (in conversations about the universe, some suggest what it would be, but I'm waiting for confirmation from the author or those involved).

He's a very intelligent guy and this particularity is poorly used in the adaptations, I'm not saying that there aren't good moments in which he uses it (remember the fight against Kakine), but it really leaves me dissatisfied.

Another issue is the Sisters' arc, when he battles them it seems to lack the element that Misaka (Last Order) herself says about being a kind and strange guy, I would like to see this if there is hope for a sequel or new adaptation (also remembering of the almost remake that would happen if it weren't for the author asking the producers to make a third season).

The character's thoughts about his surroundings: in the novel his thoughts are very clear and objectives are different from Touman's, he really analyzes everything critically and seriously (the scene with Misaka Worst shows how angry he is with the Academic City) these are moments that are almost or not at all adapted that make a big difference in their development.

The fight against Touman and lack of will: we know that Accelerator didn't win the first fight against Touma just because of guilt in relation to the Sisters, however the way he lost in the anime is terrible, it doesn't convey the character's monologues regarding that situation in specific.

Finally, Accelerator's true powers: as we know his powers are truly incredible, but still illogical, in the past studying how to use him with Professor Amata Accelerator developed the "barrier" against things that would harm him, something good and poorly used in work, the vectors are very basic and not explored any better, the divine powers are very cool (theoretically he would be the most powerful character in this universe if it weren't for the limitations imposed by the author).

That's all if anyone has anything in mind please speak up as well.
Nov 27, 2023 11:27 AM
Jul 2020
I think a lot of that is normal lost-in-adaptation problems. it's hard to show intelligence or heavy analysis in anime without slowing it down too much, and the most important character trait to convey with accelerator in the Toma fight was his insane power and how Toma beating him with such a shock. I actually think leaving some of the hidden truths behind Accelerator until the Last Order arc made it more powerful. You have someone who's seen all 10,000 of his fights point out all these things that only she could see, come to insane conclusions that are nonetheless true, and lay them bare for the audience; it let you hate Accelerator during the sisters arc while deftly changing him from pure evil/drunk on power to yet another victim of Academy City.

(I've only gotten through volume 7, so I can't comment on later stuff)
Nov 27, 2023 12:02 PM
Sep 2023
I think Accelerator is an important character study in leaning into one’s psychopathy. Whether it’s the manga or the anime is a matter of personal preference

More topics from this board

Poll: » Index - probably the most annoying character ever. ( 1 2 )

Rodaa - Jan 24, 2014

75 by Rigatoni96 »»
Apr 29, 1:35 PM

Poll: » To Aru Majutsu no Index Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

cabaret - Mar 18, 2009

280 by whitebeartigtig »»
Apr 29, 9:09 AM

Poll: » To Aru Majutsu no Index Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

darkxdestiny - Mar 12, 2009

142 by whitebeartigtig »»
Apr 29, 8:37 AM

Poll: » To Aru Majutsu no Index Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Wasabi - Mar 8, 2009

113 by whitebeartigtig »»
Apr 29, 8:11 AM

Poll: » To Aru Majutsu no Index Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 )

then - Mar 14, 2009

61 by whitebeartigtig »»
Apr 29, 7:44 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.