Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Oct 14, 2023 6:46 PM
Mar 2016
Randomly discovered this anime recently and haven't been able to stop watching. The moody atmosphere and music do such an amazing job at keeping me glued to what is happening. Often times I find myself pausing a show and tabbing out to check some forum or game but I am rarely tempted to do that and often forget about anything else until an episode is finished.

It's a slow burn and I can see how that would turn some people off but that wasn't a problem for me. What is a minor problem is how the show is forcing me to turn my brain off and accept that the characters in this story are incredibly stupid. I get that if everyone acted logically there wouldn't be stories and people don't act logically in real life either so it's not like it doesn't have any grounding in reality. But it is asking me to stretch my suspension of disbelief to the breaking point.

Specifically with the attitudes and thinking of the private investigator and his daughter but this also applies to every main character of each episode. I understand why the show almost exclusively has the characters being teenage girls. Because it's the only way to buy that they would be emotionally immature enough to agree to damn themselves to eternal hellfire for temporary revenge. In the heat of the moment and being under pressure and being so young and prone to thinking with emotions I can understand how some of them would go through with it.

But what really goes too far is when the PI and his daughter start getting involved and he as a mature adult looking at the problem from the outside still fails to convince anyone to not take the deal by making him use the most braindead argument against it. At first I thought he just didn't know the full rules of how it worked but eventually they show the he knows. And still he only tries to convince people not to do it by telling them it would cause them guilt and "revenge isn't good".

Sure he isn't wrong about that, but that's like telling a starving person that if they gorge on food they will have a stomach ache afterwards. They aren't going to care. How about emphasizing the part about how long eternity is and burning in hellfire for literally forever is not fun and 20-60 years on earth compared to that is an insane deal to make. But he never once tries to make that argument because that would actually make sense and stop some of them from doing it and you wouldn't have the drama so I have to sit here and watch episode after episode of him being completely useless because he argues like a 5 year old. It gets even worse when the daughter starts to believe that they are right and its worth burning in hell for a little revenge. And again the dad never even brings up that point when he argues with her he just uses the same tired moralizing that revenge is bad yada yada.

Is there something I am missing that could help me understand why these characters act so stupidly? Is there something lost in translation. Is the concept of hell and eternity not the same for the japanese? In the show they show people being torn up by demons and the girl says it will be an eternity of suffering. But maybe they culturally see it differently somehow and it doesn't seem as bad to them? I feel like I am grasping at straws to find some way to justify their actions. Am I the only one that was frustrated by this?
Oct 15, 2023 1:40 PM
Degenerate Queen

Jan 2022
Few things to correct you on first...

1. He is not a PI, he's just a blackmailer/photographer.
2. He DOES actually bring them up as points, the whole "You're going to hell forever" thing.

Before I get too deep into this, what episode are you? I don't want to spoil anything for you if you have not finished it yet.
Oct 15, 2023 9:02 PM
Mar 2016
Reply to ErogakiPatches
Few things to correct you on first...

1. He is not a PI, he's just a blackmailer/photographer.
2. He DOES actually bring them up as points, the whole "You're going to hell forever" thing.

Before I get too deep into this, what episode are you? I don't want to spoil anything for you if you have not finished it yet.
@ErogakiPatches I just finished the first season, I guess I meant investigator in the more general sense. I know that's not his technical job but it's basically what he's doing. And no he almost never brings up the going to hell fact when he is trying to convince people not to do it. Maybe he brought it up once but most of the time he didn't.
Oct 16, 2023 12:15 PM
Degenerate Queen

Jan 2022
Reply to redpanda_42
@ErogakiPatches I just finished the first season, I guess I meant investigator in the more general sense. I know that's not his technical job but it's basically what he's doing. And no he almost never brings up the going to hell fact when he is trying to convince people not to do it. Maybe he brought it up once but most of the time he didn't.
@redpanda_42 I never said he always brings it up, but he does at times. I think I've seen this anime over 30 times, so I remember a good portion of it even now.

I do agree that the show is very shallow at times (Which is why I cannot score it above 6) and this brings the show down a lot. If they had episodes where people didn't go through with it, it would be so much better, but they didn't and I disliked this part of it SO much. There are some fantastic episodes and some not-so-amazing ones. From Beyond the Twilight (GREAT first episode), The Possessed Girl, The Woman in The Tall Tower, Early Afternoon Window, Cracked Mask, Silent Friendship (Mainly cause it introduces Hajime and Tsugumi), Purgatory Girl, Island Woman, A Night Among Traveling Entertainers, and the last 5 episodes are all great and I wouldn't change much about it. The rest had a LOT of problems and they should have had a lot of these characters not pull the string at all. It would have made it so much better. Bound Girl was okay but, again, she should have not pulled the string, same with Friends. The ones I mentioned as being good all had VERY good motive for pulling the string, though Island Woman was just sad and I wished it ended differently. The final episodes with Ai's backstory are the best out of the first season and probably the whole series, though I cannot say for certain.
Oct 16, 2023 1:24 PM
Mar 2016
Reply to ErogakiPatches
@redpanda_42 I never said he always brings it up, but he does at times. I think I've seen this anime over 30 times, so I remember a good portion of it even now.

I do agree that the show is very shallow at times (Which is why I cannot score it above 6) and this brings the show down a lot. If they had episodes where people didn't go through with it, it would be so much better, but they didn't and I disliked this part of it SO much. There are some fantastic episodes and some not-so-amazing ones. From Beyond the Twilight (GREAT first episode), The Possessed Girl, The Woman in The Tall Tower, Early Afternoon Window, Cracked Mask, Silent Friendship (Mainly cause it introduces Hajime and Tsugumi), Purgatory Girl, Island Woman, A Night Among Traveling Entertainers, and the last 5 episodes are all great and I wouldn't change much about it. The rest had a LOT of problems and they should have had a lot of these characters not pull the string at all. It would have made it so much better. Bound Girl was okay but, again, she should have not pulled the string, same with Friends. The ones I mentioned as being good all had VERY good motive for pulling the string, though Island Woman was just sad and I wished it ended differently. The final episodes with Ai's backstory are the best out of the first season and probably the whole series, though I cannot say for certain.
@ErogakiPatches Yeah even so I'm really enjoying it, it's so rare to find a show like this that has time to breathe. Although I can't say I'm enjoying the second season as much so far. Trading the dad and his daughter for a creepy psycho midget feels like a downgrade. I thought they would continue the investigation from the first season but I guess they just said fuck it and somehow the girl lost her connection because reasons? Hope we get the backstory for the other characters at least.
Oct 17, 2023 8:16 AM
Degenerate Queen

Jan 2022
Reply to redpanda_42
@ErogakiPatches Yeah even so I'm really enjoying it, it's so rare to find a show like this that has time to breathe. Although I can't say I'm enjoying the second season as much so far. Trading the dad and his daughter for a creepy psycho midget feels like a downgrade. I thought they would continue the investigation from the first season but I guess they just said fuck it and somehow the girl lost her connection because reasons? Hope we get the backstory for the other characters at least.
@redpanda_42 Yes, the other two seasons are not very good from what I heard, and they completely ruin Tsugumi and Hajime. They give backstories to the other characters, such as Ren and Hone (The eye guy and the geisha/prostitute lady). I really liked Hone's backstory a lot and I'm glad they gave it to us and the art is still fantastic. The general feel of the show is unlike anything else I've ever seen.
Feb 24, 8:01 PM
Dec 2021
this show cool but it make me fall asleepy zzzzz

More topics from this board

Poll: » Jigoku Shoujo Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

redbuzz - May 8, 2008

69 by kirA_-_ »»
Mar 30, 5:21 PM

Poll: » Jigoku Shoujo Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Predseln - Apr 16, 2009

70 by kirA_-_ »»
Mar 30, 3:23 PM

Poll: » Jigoku Shoujo Episode 11 Discussion

Moonfrost - Sep 19, 2009

47 by kirA_-_ »»
Mar 29, 11:23 AM

Poll: » Jigoku Shoujo Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Chilli-Kun - Jan 31, 2008

78 by kirA_-_ »»
Mar 29, 10:36 AM

Poll: » Jigoku Shoujo Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

sugarplumfairy - Oct 2, 2008

91 by kirA_-_ »»
Mar 14, 4:17 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.