Forum Settings
Forums
The Irregular at Magic High School (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Movie or Season 2 first ?
Aug 25, 2023 1:46 AM
May 2013
I know that this movie covers the Light novel vol 8 where as the Season 2 covers vol 9-11. So question is what order should i watch the anime in ?

Do i miss out on anything by not watching the movie before S2 or did they change the anime so it fits better going by their order and not the light novels?
Aug 25, 2023 8:40 AM
Jan 2022
Chronological order

1: The Irregular at Magic High School: Reminiscence Arc
2: The Irregular at Magic High School (episode 1 – 26)
3: The Irregular At Magic High School: Get To Know Magic Studies! (ONA)
4: The Irregular At Magic High School: Get To Know Magic Studies! (Special)
5: The Irregular at Magic High School: Visitor Arc (episode 1 – 13)
6: The Irregular at Magic High School The Movie – The Girl Who Summons The Stars
7: The Honor Student at Magic High School (episode 1 -13)
Aug 25, 2023 8:57 AM
Aug 2021
From memory you can skip it, good to watch but not necessary.

It's more of an origin story which explains how their relationship became what it was and how Tatsuya learned his Strategic Class Magic/ became a Special Officer.
Aug 25, 2023 10:26 AM
May 2013
So how is the flow from Season 2 to the movie, do they connect them in anyway or don't even bother ?
Aug 25, 2023 1:20 PM
Oct 2020
Reniniscience before Season 2 100%.

Knowing Tatsuya’s backstory gives a lot of clarity for stuff that happens in season 2 and beyond.

They should’ve never waited so long to adapt it.
Aug 25, 2023 1:22 PM

Jan 2017
xnub said:
So question is what order should i watch the anime in ?

Follow what the Author expected you to do : Watch this Tsuioku-hen Movie , ans then the 2nd Season.

Reversign said:
Chronological order

It's not good to watch stories in chronological order , when the Author deliberately did not release them like so.
Plus , your order is wrong , the #7 should be at #2.(5.)

StarZone1 said:
From memory you can skip it, good to watch but not necessary.
It's more of an origin story which explains how their relationship became what it was

So , how is it not necessary... ?
If the explanation of the biggest mystery of the beginning of the story and the truth about the past of the 2 main characters is skippable , then literally all the series can be skipped altogether.
Alexioos95Aug 25, 2023 1:47 PM
"Genius lives only one storey above madness."
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

"Stupidity is a talent for misconception."
– Edgar Allan Poe.

"I'm tired... & hungry."
– Alexioos95.
Aug 25, 2023 1:50 PM
Nov 2022
This is the order I watched it in after reading lots of Reddit posts and I can say that it is the perfect watch order by far.

1- First Season
1.1- You can watch The honor student if you want, but it is just the first season through Miyuki's eyes, so no big deal if you skip it.
2- Second season up to episode 11 ( up to the end of the airport scene which is around the 11th minite. You see some soldiers in the snow after the airport scene and that's where you will continue from the next time.)
3- The movie: The girl who summons the stars (The movie starts exactly after the airport scene)
4- Continue second season from where you left off (from the snow soldiers scene)
5- Reminiscence special

Reminiscence in the Light Novels is Volume 8, and it fits exactly between the end of S1 (vol. 7) and start of S2 (vol.9), but the anime adaptation makes some changes, it is better to watch it after S2 because you see some people who were introduced in S2, and it makes more sense because you know who they are if you have watched S2 before it.

Edit: Btw, what you are talking about is Reminiscence, and it is actually classified as a Special, not a movie.
FlaksteratAug 25, 2023 1:56 PM
Aug 28, 2023 11:42 PM
May 2013
Flaksterat said:
This is the order I watched it in after reading lots of Reddit posts and I can say that it is the perfect watch order by far.

1- First Season
1.1- You can watch The honor student if you want, but it is just the first season through Miyuki's eyes, so no big deal if you skip it.
2- Second season up to episode 11 ( up to the end of the airport scene which is around the 11th minite. You see some soldiers in the snow after the airport scene and that's where you will continue from the next time.)
3- The movie: The girl who summons the stars (The movie starts exactly after the airport scene)
4- Continue second season from where you left off (from the snow soldiers scene)
5- Reminiscence special

Reminiscence in the Light Novels is Volume 8, and it fits exactly between the end of S1 (vol. 7) and start of S2 (vol.9), but the anime adaptation makes some changes, it is better to watch it after S2 because you see some people who were introduced in S2, and it makes more sense because you know who they are if you have watched S2 before it.

Edit: Btw, what you are talking about is Reminiscence, and it is actually classified as a Special, not a movie.
After watching it all this is 100 % the watch order people should go with. Don't skip the honor student though, it adds small nice details for characters. Even if overall its not the best show the extra scenes can be worth it if you really like the main show.

With Reminiscence it would have been nice to have some of the information earlier like after S1, but the start and ending scenes need S2 to make sense for the anime only watchers.
xnubAug 28, 2023 11:47 PM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei: Tsuioku-hen Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 31, 2021

67 by Hei »»
Mar 2, 12:01 PM

» Can you watch this before the series?

Geeljire - Jan 1, 2022

9 by xnub »»
Aug 25, 2023 1:33 AM

» Those LJNs should have adapted this just after or close to the first season when Mahouka was still fresh.

removed-user - Jan 23, 2022

2 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Jan 23, 2022 12:50 PM

» Why Miyuki's mama.. (SPOILER)

sakkyun - Jan 1, 2022

16 by sakkyun »»
Jan 23, 2022 6:33 AM

» Release online

Natsusama98 - Dec 30, 2021

2 by XO2HKIM »»
Dec 31, 2021 9:58 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.