Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 8, 2023 2:57 PM

Jan 2020
Not sure whether this topic has been touched upon here on MAL, but for Japanese learners this show in particular might be very interesting, since it’s fully in Kansai-ben, which is a good opportunity to study it. As you may or may not know, the majority of anime is either in 標準語 (hyo:jungo, the literary Japanese) or 東京弁 (to:kyo:ben, the Tokyo dialect). Ironically enough, I think I’ve seen more anime in the Tokyo dialect than those in pure Japanese because of grammatical constructions like ちまう instead of ちゃう, or, for instance, 何やってんの instead of 何やってるの (for your information, in the Tokyo dialect る in verbs that are over 3 moras in length, as well as verbs in the present progressive tense ている is substituted for ん), and the characters actually speaking the Kansai dialect appear seldom only to add some kind of flavor and diversity to the dialogues. From this show, for instance, I learned that 堪忍 (kannin) is the Kansai-ben for ごめん, that さかい can be used as から/ので and some more stuff. It’s rated 2/10 in terms of difficulty on JPDB, but I felt that it’s much more difficult than that, since I’m not used to hearing and reading the Kansai dialect (pretty sure that many Japanese learners also aren’t very familiar with it).

But yeah, this anime is pretty unique.
RudeRedisJul 8, 2023 3:07 PM
Jul 8, 2023 9:27 PM
Jun 2021
i didn’t understand a single thing you just said but it does sound very interesting

i’ve been watching anime for a while now i think i should at least understand a little bit of the language, i’ll definitely teach myself sometime
Jul 8, 2023 10:40 PM
Jul 2022
_sant said:
i didn’t understand a single thing you just said but it does sound very interesting

i’ve been watching anime for a while now i think i should at least understand a little bit of the language, i’ll definitely teach myself sometime

This is so real of you
Jul 9, 2023 1:13 AM
Feb 2022
o well i em trying to learn
Jul 9, 2023 1:55 AM
Feb 2023
I'm learning Japanese from Duolingo... idk if its gonna work tho
Jul 9, 2023 2:09 AM
Jan 2023
Sanuj7 said:

I am also learning japanese from there
Jul 9, 2023 2:16 AM
Feb 2023
Studiolittle said:
Sanuj7 said:

I'm on 11 day streak I hope I can complete this course
Jul 9, 2023 2:46 AM
Jan 2023
Sanuj7 said:
Studiolittle said:

I am on a 115 day streak
Jul 9, 2023 2:53 AM
Feb 2023
Studiolittle said:
Sanuj7 said:

I am on a 115 day streak

soo how far is your Japanese now... is it good like can we manage to talk with someone at this point ?
Jul 9, 2023 3:31 AM
Jan 2023
no but I can make a few sentences like kore wa watashi no mal account desu well I am learning hiragana right now then I will continue learning japanese then I will learn katakana well I have learned half of hiragana and can read japanese if it is written in hiragana
Jul 9, 2023 4:58 AM

Jan 2020
Sanuj7 said:

It’s enough for learning all the grammar and vocabulary for N4 and kanji for N3 if you go through the entire course, but from there on you’ll have to abandon it and switch to other materials, such as regular textbooks or immersion via sentence mining. Duolingo is not a bad way to start off, though.
Jul 9, 2023 6:20 PM
Feb 2023
Studiolittle said:
no but I can make a few sentences like kore wa watashi no mal account desu well I am learning hiragana right now then I will continue learning japanese then I will learn katakana well I have learned half of hiragana and can read japanese if it is written in hiragana

ohh soo even at 115 day streak Duolingo just stuck at words like Sore, kore, watashino, sono, kono, konbanwa, ..... like basics only
Jul 9, 2023 6:24 PM
Feb 2023
RudeRedis said:
Sanuj7 said:

It’s enough for learning all the grammar and vocabulary for N4 and kanji for N3 if you go through the entire course, but from there on you’ll have to abandon it and switch to other materials, such as regular textbooks or immersion via sentence mining. Duolingo is not a bad way to start off, though.

I also feel it teaches us the basics though. I also came to learn some basic words from them at 15 day streak. I feel learning fast too because of watching anime I feel the words are familiar just have to know the actual meaning and the way they use the word
Jul 9, 2023 6:40 PM
Jan 2023
Sanuj7 said:
Studiolittle said:

ohh soo even at 115 day streak Duolingo just stuck at words like Sore, kore, watashino, sono, kono, konbanwa, ..... like basics only

I was learning hiragana for a few days and I have learned basics like kono, sono, kore, sore, koko, soko, desu, wa, no, watashi, boku, iie, hai, ie, heya, mizu, gohan, depaato, konbini, sensei etc. and japanese numbers
Jul 9, 2023 6:45 PM
Feb 2023
Studiolittle said:
Sanuj7 said:

I was learning hiragana for a few days and I have learned basics like kono, sono, kore, sore, koko, soko, desu, wa, no, watashi, boku, iie, hai, ie, heya, mizu, gohan, depaato, konbini, sensei etc. and japanese numbers

I haven't leaned Japanese numbers yet but I've completed the words you told
Jul 9, 2023 6:58 PM

Jun 2016
If you're interested in learning the Kansai dialect you can also watch Lovely Complex but in general I don't find anime to be too useful in learning dialect they tone it down so that viewers can understand. In some cases Kansai can be an exception since it's the easiest.
Jul 10, 2023 12:47 AM
Jan 2023
Sanuj7 said:
Studiolittle said:

I haven't leaned Japanese numbers yet but I've completed the words you told

ichi, nii, san, yon, go, roku, nana, hachi, kyo, juu
Jul 10, 2023 12:53 AM

Jan 2020
Usagi-san-chan said:
If you're interested in learning the Kansai dialect you can also watch Lovely Complex but in general I don't find anime to be too useful in learning dialect they tone it down so that viewers can understand. In some cases Kansai can be an exception since it's the easiest.

Thanks for the recommendation! I mean, I’d like to learn some more obscure dialects like 津軽弁 (the Tsugaru dialect, one of the Tohoku dialects spoken in the Aomori prefecture) or 北海道弁 (the Hokkaido dialect, which is actually not that difficult and not that different from Standard Japanese), but, yeah, the Kansai dialect would also be useful, as I watch several YouTubers from that area who speak it.
Jan 17, 5:58 AM
Jan 2023
This is surely helpful post. I just finished the film & also I am learning Japanese since 2 years, so I can totally see the points you mentioned to be noteworthy for further study.
Thanks!

More topics from this board

» Rewatch!?!

Jai_akash - Apr 22

22 by imjayhime »»
Apr 24, 7:55 PM

Poll: » Hotaru No Haka Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

yakyuu-addict - Nov 28, 2008

313 by WeebAngo »»
Mar 8, 5:18 AM

Poll: » Did you cry after you watched this movie? (spoilers) ( 1 2 3 4 )

ss4gojetanks - Jul 8, 2011

186 by Neko_myanimelist »»
Jan 9, 11:23 AM

» Grave of the fireflies is not that much sad

Ishow_suii - Nov 16, 2023

24 by ToufiqHassan »»
Nov 17, 2023 4:26 AM

» I don't think I'll ever re-watch this movie. ( 1 2 )

Abyque - Sep 13, 2022

51 by Lungitar90 »»
Sep 11, 2023 4:09 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.