Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
May 20, 2023 6:43 AM

Jun 2021
So I finished this series a few days ago and I'm wondering whether I'm the only one that feels this way.
To begin with, I really liked the first season's constant suspense and game-centric approach. Each episode has featured a different murder and suspect, which has kept the anime interesting. However, I found the following seasons were not as good as the first. This is explained as follows: 

-The outside world

The outside world was totally uninteresting. I understand that the author or whoever created the source meant to expand the lore, but they obviously missed the mark.

-Character of Junko Enoshima

This character makes no sense at all. She is evil for the purpose of being evil, and her motivations are simply stupid. Constant rambling of despair nonsense. Along with Nana from Talentless Nana, she has to be one of the most irritating anime characters of all time. Her conquering the entire world was also an asspull. It's not even believable at all.

So, in my opinion, Danganronpa should have only stayed for the first season and the following seasons were unneeded, Junko Enoshima should have only appeared in the first season if the author still wanted to make the next seasons.

P.S
This text is merely about the anime, not the game. Maybe the game has greater storytelling, but I'm talking about the anime series here, so please reply with that in mind.
Bard_ErenMay 20, 2023 6:57 AM
Remember what Master Oogway told us:

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present.
May 20, 2023 7:07 AM
Jul 2021
It is neccessary to play the game for this to make sense. The characters from the despair arc are all from the second game. which didn't get a anime. Danganronpa the Animation also isn't a good representation of the game. It's way worse. That's probably a big part as to why you felt this way when watching this season. And DR3 just isn't that good.
May 20, 2023 8:09 AM
Mar 2022
You were supposed to play Danganronpa 2 first then watch the anime.
Of course you will not feel anything because you didn't love the characters in the game spacially chiaki
May 20, 2023 8:12 AM
Mar 2022
Rammelbips said:
It is neccessary to play the game for this to make sense. The characters from the despair arc are all from the second game. which didn't get a anime. Danganronpa the Animation also isn't a good representation of the game. It's way worse. That's probably a big part as to why you felt this way when watching this season. And DR3 just isn't that good.

For me I love DR3 very much but the ending messed up everything
May 20, 2023 8:39 AM

Apr 2022
In my opinion, you should play the games.
“I won’t rely on anyone anymore. I don’t care if no one understands.” – Homura Akemi
May 20, 2023 8:44 AM

Jun 2021
Usapz said:

I'm planning to, yet if Junko is the same there my views won't change.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present.
May 20, 2023 8:45 AM

Apr 2022
Bard_Eren said:
Usapz said:

Danganronpa is acclaimed for its complex trials, not for its characters. And junko just loves despair, it’s not deeper than that.
“I won’t rely on anyone anymore. I don’t care if no one understands.” – Homura Akemi
May 20, 2023 8:57 AM

Jun 2021
Usapz said:
Bard_Eren said:

Danganronpa is acclaimed for its complex trials, not for its characters. And junko just loves despair, it’s not deeper than that.
Thanks for the info. I'm going to like games better if they focus more on trials. First season's trials were the best part.

May 20, 2023 9:51 AM

Apr 2022
Bard_Eren said:
Usapz said:

Thanks for the info. I'm going to like games better if they focus more on trials. First season's trials were the best part.
Danganronpa trigger happy havoc (danganronpa s1) has the simplest trials of all the game. SDR2 and DRV3's trials are more complex and fun to unravel. And nothing beats the feeling of investigating the murders and trying to solve the mystery yourself.
May 20, 2023 12:08 PM

Jun 2016
Danganronpa works as a franchise so it’s impossible to reply and ignore the games.

I’ll try make this in order of your points.

I don’t share your sentiment of liking the 1st season. I hadn’t seen the games when I watched but I still thought that it felt like a rushed mess and it was lacking.

About the outside world, they’re not expanding the lore of the outside world they’re just explaining the events mentioned in the game.

I don’t really know what to tell you about Junko tho. They already explained how Talents work the characters are bound to them. It makes their characters and motivations as boring as they may seem. Yes, Junko is despair and wants despairs because it’s her talent. It’s like Sayaka being an Ultimate Idol her character will revolve around that. Mondo being the Ultimate Biker involves a chapter around that.

Personally, I don’t really mind her motivations in that way because her characterization and her involvement makes it way more interesting.

Thinking about it Junko literally is the reason why Danganronpa exists her influence even goes to V3. She doesn’t need to be alive for her to have influence.
May 20, 2023 4:27 PM
Aug 2021
Bard_Eren said:
Usapz said:

Junko’s talent is despair so she doesn’t really need a motivation, the whole point is that she was born to spread despair pretty much. It won’t take away from your experience of the game anyway because in each game there’s 6 trials and she only shows up in the last trial of the first two games. She’s also not even really in the third game.
May 20, 2023 4:41 PM
Dec 2021
I like Danganronpa, especially 1, 3 (anime) and V3. But I do agree with some points here.

1st of all, as they've said, you're missing 2: goodbye despair, that stands in the middle of 1 and 3 (obviously). It's a game and it doesn't have an anime. Also, there's my favourite, V3, that actually comes after 3 (anime) and that is more like an extra story, kinda unrelated to everything from before, with the best gameplay, characters and story in my opinion. It's purpose is to end the Danganronpa franchise.

Then lastly, I agree with the thing about the world. After the 1st one, the outside world seems intriguing, like what exactly happened? what is the state of the world? The answers given by the 2nd one, that carry on to ultra despair girls (extra game) and 3 (anime), really didn't quite do it for me. Actually, the anime for 3 kinda saves it for me, as in it was kinda worth it. Just after 2, I wasn't sure if it was worth it, I mean that direction they went with. I still don't quite like it, but 3 did make it somewhat worth it for me.

Also yeah, I like junko in the 1st game, but I don't think it was a good idea to make her the center of everything in every other game/anime, more or less. I also find it kinda crazy that what is essentially, a crazy highschool girl and her sister were enough to plunge the entire world into despair. But whatever, I don't really care about that one that much.

More topics from this board

» *spoilers* Why do people not like this season?

kakashis_sidehoe - Mar 26, 2023

33 by Kiryotsu »»
Jan 5, 10:53 PM

Poll: » Danganronpa 3: The End of Kibougamine Gakuen - Zetsubou-hen Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 15, 2016

526 by Salty_Cookie »»
Jan 4, 9:44 PM

Poll: » Danganronpa 3: The End of Kibougamine Gakuen - Zetsubou-hen Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Aug 25, 2016

242 by Nanashi »»
Jan 3, 7:09 AM

Poll: » Danganronpa 3: The End of Kibougamine Gakuen - Zetsubou-hen Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 22, 2016

255 by KSkillmyself »»
Dec 7, 2023 11:29 PM

Poll: » Danganronpa 3: The End of Kibougamine Gakuen - Zetsubou-hen Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Sep 8, 2016

248 by MizuhoKamui »»
Apr 9, 2023 1:12 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.